Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Best vetiver

Default Re: Vetiver!

Creed Vetiver '48

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Givenchy Vetiver
    it's your best bet if you wanna vetiver that's tasteful

Givenchy vetyver is fantastic for the price. I am a huge vetyver lover and love many different kinds. Guerlains is the worst I have come across IMO. Sel de vetiver would fit your bill but the price is huge. Vetyverio is another great one to check that would fit what your are looking for.

I only like Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre . Spanish beautiful, soapy, clean vetiver.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Vetiver by Etro. Easy on the wallet and smells great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    WTF? Have you ever even smelled Givenchy Vetyver?
    no i didn't , but i read somewhere that it is the older brother of Guerlain's vetiver and that's sound very old lol

Serious limitations in the $60.00. Hold off, save some more money, and buy something more special.

Quote Originally Posted by Fadi007 View Post

something other than sycomore , encre noire and grey vetiver ...
    from these 3 i smelled encre noire and grey vetiver ... i like encre noire more but i guess it is a little heavy for work environment, never smelled sycomore , is it better than the lalique one ?

Encre Noire is pure heaven, and I think it gives a very clean, formal impression suitable for work.
    Red Vetyver, Fat Electrician and Route du Vetiver are also delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Fadi007 View Post
    no i didn't , but i read somewhere that it is the older brother of Guerlain's vetiver and that's sound very old lol
    Givenchy Vetyver doesn't come off "old man" to me. It is a great fresh and clean vetiver, and is not that similar to Guerlain. Seriously, at least sample this one. IMO it is one of the best clean vetivers out there, and it is within your price range. C'mon - just do it!

Light and easy to wear = Grey Vetiver

He said light and easy to wear, people. Come on! LOL.

Oh, and it doesn't get much lighter and easier to wear than Mugler Cologne. Surprised noone mentioned that

Vetiver threads on Basenotes are legendary. Check out http://www.basenotes.net/threads/172...hlight=Vetiver for very good information about vetiver.

For your requirements approx. price you are limited to Vetiveru ($52 Luckyscent), Guerlain ($50 Amazon), Adopho Dominguez Vetiver Hombre ($30-$40), Corinto Vetiver ($45 Amazon), L'Occitane Vetyver ($48) and Fat Electrician ($80). But fortunately all of these are very good. I've had bottles of each and if I had to pick one from this list it would be Vetiveru - I prefer its natural easy going nature.

If money is not as much an object then I would recommend Sel d' Vetiver, Dior Vetiver, or Mona Di Orio Vetyver. All smell as good as and probably better than the first group while still staying green and fresh and not too earthy.

For that price, maybe L'occitaine vetyver?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog127 View Post
    For that price, maybe L'occitaine vetyver?
    Hmm - do You really think he is after a genuine vetiver?

Question Top Vetiver Heavy Hitters

What are the big hitters of the Vetiver world, the ones with the purest or strongest vetiver root oil accord? Is it a classic like Guerlain, is it FMVE. I know it is not Creed's OV for example, as that is reputed to be a green, fresh scent with at most a subtle vetiver note, if even that. I have read descriptions of many of them, and own quite a few. A couple of the most Vetivery Vetivers to my nose are Tom Ford GV, Guerlain, Givenchy and Encre Noir, but many of these have a big dose of other notes, whether it be tobacco, Iso E Super, etc.

Is their a prototype that is the best representative of the Vetiver family? I have heard Guerlain referred to as the standard sort of reference point.

Default Re: Top Vetiver Heavy Hitters

I am sure you'll see many responses here. I find Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire to be the "purest and strongest" of the genre. Encre Noir in similar fashion with a bit of smokiness. I find them both a bit too intense for me, and prefer my vetiver blended with a bit of citrus a la Guerlain or Tom Ford GV.

Turtle Vetiver - Exercise 1 - discontinued but not impossible to find. Exercise # 2 has just been released.
    Vetiver - Etro
    Bourbon Vetiver - Miller Harris
    Vetiver - Lorenzo Villoresi
    Route du Vetiver - Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier

I consider the above very vetiver dominant perfumes.

I find Vetiver Extraordinaire to be airy compared to the above.
    Because of this I usually spray double of what I would normally spray (40 sprays).

for swap/sale:

I do not like Vetiver but Chanel Sycomore and Vetiver Tonka are pretty darn good if you like vetiver.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

+1 Vetiver Extrodinaire

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    I find Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire to be the "purest and strongest" of the genre.
    Same here.

I find Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire to be a solid representation of the note without much else, but if you want another good example with a lot more density then try MPG's Route de Vetiver

(haven't tested it but also heard good things about Annick Goutal's Vetiver too)

PS - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/247024-Best-vetiver

Vetiver Extraordinaire is the strongest I have tried

Vetiver Extraordinaire, Sycomore, Encre Noire.

Yeap, Encre Noire and Sycomore are nice and easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Turtle Vetiver - Exercise 1 - discontinued but not impossible to find. Exercise # 2 has just been released.
    Vetiver - Etro

Because of this I usually spray double of what I would normally spray (40 sprays).
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Vetiver Extraordinaire extraordinarily quiet!

I agree with the recs for the Villoresi and MPG as good high-vetiver representatives of the genre.

It has been already mentioned but another vote for Vetiver Extraodinaire. It is divine

Did I misunderstand the OP's query?

Are we requested to suggest vetiver-intense perfumes or our top vetiver perfumes?

I took "Top Vetiver Heavy Hitters" to mean perfumes with intense amounts of vetiver in them.

for swap/sale:

Creed Vetiver '48. I believe that uses Vetiver Root.

best representative of the vetiver family is vetiver oil

people don't mention it much in these threads but fat electrician by eldo is in fact quite vetiver heavy, with more facets that can be found in a lot of fragrances with vetiver in the name.

route du vetiver and villoresi vetiver are also vetiver prominent.

somehow I don't find vetiver extraordinaire that naturally vetiver as others.

I'd say Vetiver Extraordinaire as well. Though it doesn't smell of only vetiver to me -- there's lovely citrus in the beginning, and a warm myrrh note later in the dry-down. Great stuff. (Bright and a bit sweet compared to Sycomore's smooth warm smokiness, for instance.)

Did I misunderstand the OP's query?

Are we requested to suggest vetiver-intense perfumes or our top vetiver perfumes?

I took "Top Vetiver Heavy Hitters" to mean perfumes with intense amounts of vetiver in them.
    You are correct. I know there are a lot of lovely vetiver perfumes around, I am wondering what are the "strongest" in terms of noticeability of the Vetiver note itself-- or which one's seem to have the greatest amount of the root oil, or greatest "purity," if you will.

Banned

I find Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire to be the "purest and strongest" of the genre.
    i concur.

it's almost completely devoid of any personality at all. but if you love Vetiver, you can't get a more potent and honest depiction of it than Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Quote Originally Posted by srmd22 View Post
    You are correct. I know there are a lot of lovely vetiver perfumes around, I am wondering what are the "strongest" in terms of noticeability of the Vetiver note itself-- or which one's seem to have the greatest amount of the root oil, or greatest "purity," if you will.
    The ones I mentioned.This is coming from a Vetiver connoisseur.

Seek out a sample of Turtle Vetiver if only to know what RAW Vetiver smells like in perfume media otherwise Vetiver oil as sarupatates mentioned.

for swap/sale:

MPG RdV and the Annick Goutal are the 'thumpers' of the category to me.
    Oh, and honorable mention to Royall Vetiver from Royall Lyme of Bermuda.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

I think MPG RdV and Annick Goutal Vetyver are hardcore vetivers but the ultimate vetiver I have ever tried is Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver. I am surprised it gets so few mentions. It is the smokiest vetiver I have ever tried and although I am a big fan of this note LV Vetiver is too much for me! I cannot imagine anyone using this one on a regular basis.
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale

Sycomore made me addicted to vetiver...

The strongest vetivers I found (excluding oils) are Route Du Vetiver and the Villoresi and while I thoroughly enjoy both of them, I find Vetiver Extraordinaire to be much more satisfying.

Another heavy hitter is Etro's Vetiver (vintage).

(I won't mention Sycomore just because It's much more than a vetiver fragrance).

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

This part of Ayala's Blog: http://ayalasmellyblog.blogspot.com/...i-vetiver.html - is an excellent description of the various kinds of vetiver that are out there. Some smell lemony and some are very dark and green and some very woody. The Bourbon Islands vetiver is probably the heaviest that is used in perfumery like in Miller Harris Bourbon Vetiver or Les Nez Turtle Vetiver. I like CdG Vetiveru for a pure scent of lemony Haitian Vetiver.

Many of these mentioned I love (Sycomore, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Etro Vetiver, Fat Electrician). I would add to the list my #1 favorite vetiver: Sel de Vetiver. It does not use vetiveryle but rather a lush, natural Haitian vetiver in a very minimal setting of salt and iris that feels like it was composed for the sole purpose of setting off the spectacular oceanic depth of the primary ingredient. It blows my mind every time I wear it.

Escentric 02 is also a lovely take on synthetic vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    Many of these mentioned I love (Sycomore, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Etro Vetiver, Fat Electrician). I would add to the list my #1 favorite vetiver: Sel de Vetiver. It does not use vetiveryle but rather a lush, natural Haitian vetiver in a very minimal setting of salt and iris that feels like it was composed for the sole purpose of setting off the spectacular oceanic depth of the primary ingredient. It blows my mind every time I wear it.

Escentric 02 is also a lovely take on synthetic vetiver.
    Sel De Vetiver is really amazing fragrance, very unique

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    I think MPG RdV and Annick Goutal Vetyver are hardcore vetivers but the ultimate vetiver I have ever tried is Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver. I am surprised it gets so few mentions. It is the smokiest vetiver I have ever tried and although I am a big fan of this note LV Vetiver is too much for me! I cannot imagine anyone using this one on a regular basis.
    I regularly wear the Lorenzo but also wonder how Route du Vetiver could be worm everyday. Especially the vintage formula.
    Isn't our personal perception of senses interesting.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 3rd February 2012 at 02:57 PM.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    The Bourbon Islands vetiver is probably the heaviest that is used in perfumery like in Miller Harris Bourbon Vetiver or Les Nez Turtle Vetiver. I like CdG Vetiveru for a pure scent of lemony Haitian Vetiver.
    I remember bring in awe at you and agree others knowledge a year and half ago and here I am concurring with you .
    I too feel that Bourbon Vetiver is a true representative of India ocean Vetiver. Whether it synthetic I natural or partial I am uncertain but it is the closest to true Indian ocean Vetiver oil that I've smelled , along with Turtle Vetiver.

for swap/sale:

Encre Noire. Just ordered a big fat bottle.

+1.
    But the best Vetiver fragrance is Sycomore.

My tastes and my opinions on this subject are quite predictable and simple:

Guerlain Vetiver
    Etro Vetyver
    Creed OV
    Mugler Cologne
    Vetiver Carven
    Lanvin Vetyver

encre noire

L'occitane Vetiver
    Azzaro Vetiver
    Creed Vetiver
    Guerlain Vetiver

All Tops.

Vetiver - Etro

H22 ....with 40 sprays you are now the undisputed King of Sillage. ...lol...Curious as to how many wearings you get from a 1.7fl oz bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by stanmar View Post
    H22 ....with 40 sprays you are now the undisputed King of Sillage. ...lol...Curious as to how many wearings you get from a 1.7fl oz bottle?
    I approximate each wearing to be between 2 and 3 ml but mostly towards the 2 side of the spectrum due to the nature of my taste in perfumes anyways being strong.

I am but a mere minuscule of sillage compared to the Emperor of sillage member scent.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 3rd February 2012 at 08:53 PM.

for swap/sale:

Not crazy for vetivers, but Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver I can tolerate.

I regularly wear the Lorenzo but also wonder how Route du Vetiver could be worm everyday. Especially the vintage formula.
    Isn't our personal perception of senses interesting.
    The LV vetiver is the only vetiver that has scared me. I love wearing RdV on the other hand (I admit having seen people running away from me in public places though ). It goes to show, one man's magic potion is another man's poison
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale

Default Re: Best vetiver

This thread is a must-read for vetiver lovers: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/172...ents-added!%29
    "Scent is very important. Strong fragrances suit some men, while citrus types suit others. I like my men to smell fresh and woody, but also like a man."
    Donatella Versace

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    The LV vetiver is the only vetiver that has scared me. I love wearing RdV on the other hand (I admit having seen people running away from me in public places though ). It goes to show, one man's magic potion is another man's poison
    True. But if it's vetiver its my love potion.

for swap/sale:

Vetiver Extraordinaire or Sycomore

Basenotes Member

I have to agree with Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre. It's not that easy to get in the states so I always buy two combo sets.

I get the 4.0 edt, the 200 after shave balm and a small btl of deodorant spray for less then 90 bucks.

I love this stuff.

My second choice is Creed OV.

I cant stand vetiver heavy fragrances. But Sycomore and creed OV are both excellent.

I like Tom Ford's.

I would like on update on this. What's the best vetiver now?