Code of Conduct

Default How To Apply Pure Parfum?

OK, so I'm trying out a couple of scents from Soivohle, which come only in pure parfum form. I understand that pure parfum is a whole other world in terms of potency and is supposed to be applied with a light touch. However, I only have experience with spray bottle EDT's/EDP's.

Can anybody give me any tips as to how best to apply pure parfum? Will a couple of dabs to the wrist and/or chest really be sufficient?
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 1st March 2010 at 09:26 PM.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Blog Entries

Default Re: How To Apply Pure Parfum?

There is still alcohol in parfum. It is just a higher concentration. Parfum extraits are not pure oils like attars. I prefer to spray them just like an EDC/EDT/EDP, as I find it the most efficient way. You end uo using more of it in a lesser area if you dab.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

I use the stopper to dab my collarbones and wrists. Sometimes extraits don't seem any stronger, but they give a gentle aura of the perfume throughout the day. OTOH there are others where I feel I am going to suffocate if I'm not careful. It really depends on the specific perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by sean-dt View Post
    I use the stopper to dab my collarbones and wrists. Sometimes extraits don't seem any stronger, but they give a gentle aura of the perfume throughout the day. OTOH there are others where I feel I am going to suffocate if I'm not careful. It really depends on the specific perfume.
    If you are in the habit of using the stopper to dab, you really must wipe off the stopper after each use with a clean tissue or clean cloth. If you are wearing a t-shirt or undershirt (and it's a clean one, obviously), you can use that and hit two targets at once, cleaning the stopper and scenting your innermost layer of clothing. If you don't clean the stopper after dabbing it to the skin, you will inevitably gather up skin oils and cosmetic/grooming aids residue on it, which will transfer right back to the juice still in the bottle.

A dab on each wrist, one to the solar plexus, and a bit at the very bottom of the spine - that's my method with pure parfums. If spraying, similar points, just be careful of your pressure on the sprayer.

I agree Jardanel, I should have mentioned that. I always use a tissue to wipe the stopper after I have used it. Otherwise the perfume will be destroyed before it reaches the end of the bottle.
    Last edited by sean-dt; 1st March 2010 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sean-dt View Post
    I agree Jardanel, I should have mentioned that. I always use a tissue to wipe the stopper after I have used it. Otherwise the perfume will be destroyed before it reaches the end of the bottle.
    Absolutely, Sean, and that would be terrible. Sometimes I carry the tissue around in a pocket afterwards, or I fold it and tuck into a shirt sleeve - kind of a scented-handkerchief idea.

Be CAREFUL with dabbing perfume and using tissues (facial tissues). The paper can break down and contaminate the bottle. Use a clean cloth to clean the stopper and cap lip.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Be CAREFUL with dabbing perfume and using tissues (facial tissues). The paper can break down and contaminate the bottle. Use a clean cloth to clean the stopper and cap lip.
    Good observation, Primrose. I like to use the clean-underclothing alternative too (the edge of the clean briefs or t-shirt or whatever that you just put on).

A woman I used to work with several years ago only bought pure perfumes and she used a dropper to get two drops on her skin before lightly wiping with her index finger, usually in a sweeping motion behind the ears. I wondered for about 18 months what she was doing until I plucked up the courage to ask her.
    Last edited by great_badir; 2nd March 2010 at 08:35 PM.

I have never cleaned the stopper after using it to dab on. I have noticed a build up of particles in the bottles after awhile, thanks for the tip. I agree to be careful with wiping off with a tissue such as a Kleenex, which is full of its own aroma and softening chemicals.
    That said, I dab with some perfumes, like Chanel No 5, as it's such a sillage monster otherwise, orientals, like Opium, I like to spray.
    I would love to try spraying Aoud Lacquer just to see what would happen to the chocolate note.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 2nd March 2010 at 11:53 PM.

Banned

I've been converted to applying pure parfum to the earlobes.

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    Interesting. How did you come to prefer that method?

Let Mr. Bronson show you the way:

No spraying necessary!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post
    Interesting. How did you come to prefer that method?
    A member here reported talking to (I think) Luca Turin, where Turin said that is how he applied them.

It's quite nice as typically extraits don't project much in the first place, and if you have vintage/discontinued juice then it's a great way to wear the fragrance without making a huge dent in the bottle.
    Last edited by teger; 2nd March 2010 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    No spraying necessary!
    Quite possibly the greatest thing I've ever seen on YouTube.

Also reminds me of The Simpsons:
    "Where are you going?"
    "Emmett's Fix-It Shop. Toooooo fix Emmett."

And, of course, the great:
    "Is this Branson, Missouri?"
    "Noooo pally, this BRONSON Missouri!"
    "Hey ma - how about some cookieeeeees?"
    "No dice."
    "...this ain't ovah."

...anyone ever smelt Man Dom? If Bronson was a fan, I imagine it must've had a pyramid like this:
    Sweat, dust, pomade, gunpowder
    Moustache wax, architect's ink, architect's glue
    Shame, guilt, anger

Also, it must've had REALLY poor sillage and longevity.

And why put it on after you get home?
    Last edited by great_badir; 2nd March 2010 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post

No spraying necessary!
    Galamb, this is SUCH a classic and deserves to be posted quite often... LOL!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

WindyCity, describe what you ordered a bit more...
    I have "pure parfums" like the new Terre d'Hermes Parfum that is still just a sprayer, but higher concentration. Then there are pure perfumes like Shalimar that is much higher concentration that comes in a bottle you'd have to dab, then there are oils, like Homage attar.
    I apply all three differently, though each could technically be considered 'pure parfum.'
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    Oh yes, me too. A small amount applied to the earlobes keeps the scent in my 'nose range' all day. Plus the normal areas (chest, inside of elbow, wrists, etc).

I agree with the many comments above, about different methods for different fragrances. One must really test it out for themselves, as there are many different ways to apply so many different parfums/extraits. It can be confusing, but for colognoisseurs like us, that's part of the fun.

I do have some parfum sprays, eg, Chanel purse sprays or Guerlain extrait testers. When I spray, I apply to the forearms, same as for EDP's, etc. For times when I want to dab, I have decanted several of my extraits into amber vials with screw tops. I use my finger on the top of the vial and invert it to get some of the juice, then apply to wrists (or wherever). I only decant a couple ml at a time so that my habit will not contaminate my stock bottle.