Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which of these two fragrances would you most like to see advance? Select one from each group only.

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • (Group A) YSL Rive Gauche PH

74 69.16%
  • (Group A) Burberry Brit For Men

17 15.89%
  • (Group B) Ralph Lauren Polo

23 21.50%
  • (Group B) Czech & Speake No. 88

65 60.75%
  • (Group C) L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme

57 53.27%
  • (Group C) JPG Fleur du Male

31 28.97%
  • (Group D) Acqua Di Gio

17 15.89%
  • (Group D) Guerlain Heritage

74 69.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Blog Entries

Default BMM10: Games 1-4 (Rive Gauche, No. 88, Polo, Heritage, and more!)

Basenotes March Madness 2010

Games 1-4
    (Round 1)
    Poll ends March 3.

(3) YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme vs. (14) Burberry Brit
    (1) Ralph Lauren Polo vs. (16) Czech & Speake No. 88
    (5) L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme vs. (12) JPG Fleur du Male
    (6) Acqua di Gio vs. (11) Guerlain Heritage

Most recent bracket:

(Click bracket for full size.)

Poll will close in 24 hours, vote which fragrance you'd like to see advance to Round 2. Vote for one fragrance from each group only, voting for both is statistically the same as not voting at all.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Default Re: BMM10: Games 1-4 (Rive Gauche, No. 88, Polo, Heritage, and more!)

Go go go Fleur du male. You can't lose to.. that!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

The Zeitgeist Sez...

Predictions:

(3) YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme def. (14) Burberry Brit
    (16) Czech & Speake No. 88 def. (1) Ralph Lauren Polo
    (5) L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme def. (12) JPG Fleur du Male
    (11) Guerlain Heritage def. (6) Acqua di Gio

Standings:
    Maximum Score Possible 1
    The Zeitgeist 1

Bluesoul 1
    mudassir 1
    Asha 1
    DocmanCC 1
    Exquisitely Me 1
    TwoRoads 1
    mrcologneguy 1
    flannelman 1
    telecaster 1
    timaru 1
    Royal 1
    Buddy97 1
    an_oud_girl 1
    Roryj 1
    zliang 1
    gupts 1
    the_good_life 1
    wicozani 1
    surreality 0
    JaimeB 0
    veuve amiot 0
    rogalal 0
    kbe 0
    jacona 0
    robpgmc 0
    Furriner 0

(The Zeitgeist is the "spirit of the time", and his picks are the picks of the majority in all rounds, as an experiment to see if the majority pick in every round is more likely to be correct than any individual's picks. In other words, "Is all of us smarter than one of us?")
    The Zeitgeist has spoken.

I wonder if the zeitgeist, posting the predictions prior to the poll closing is actually influencing the poll one way or the other. It may influence those who aren't familiar with either frag. I'm just not sure if you'd get more people voting for the presumed winner or more voting for the underdog.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Blog Entries

Zeitgeist is right!
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

reminds me of the afraafra games !

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I wonder if the zeitgeist, posting the predictions prior to the poll closing is actually influencing the poll one way or the other. It may influence those who aren't familiar with either frag. I'm just not sure if you'd get more people voting for the presumed winner or more voting for the underdog.
    I share your concern, SOS. I see little advantage having the Z's prediction published before the poll closes. I think I will enjoy the idea but I think having it's prediction at the end of each round would be a nice post-game re-cap.

Can I also vote considering I've submitted a prediction? Sorry if it has been explained before.

Oh boy it's here! Someone put the nachos in the oven already--I want 'em hot and drippy.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

Zliang~ Yes, you can vote in the polls. Help make sure your picks win!

I agree with SOS and others who think making the Zeitgeist known might influence the outcome of the results. Will the opinions of those submitting brackets reflect those who vote only? We will probably see a lot of parallel results, assuming everyone who turned in brackets also votes (I remember that I missed a day last year due to busy-ness). There were 61 voters in the play-in game, and there are 26 players, so those remaining 35 who didn't also turn in brackets would have to do a lot of contrary voting to skew the anticipated results. If I were of a wicked or contrary nature (but then, who says I'm not? ), or just liked rooting for the underdog, I might be inclined to vote that way. I agree with keeping the Zeitgeist prediction unknown until after voting ends.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 2nd March 2010 at 07:34 AM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

How on earth can Fleur du Male lose against that (IMO) generic, boring juice?

Hmm, I voted Group C...considering that Fluer Du Male is selling hot hot hot! in melbourne...well atleast it has been!

:P

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Balavassassin View Post
    Hmm, I voted Group C...considering that Fluer Du Male is selling hot hot hot! in melbourne...well atleast it has been!

:P

- Balava
    One out of each group will move forward not one group out of the four.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Major Le Labo has been shot! Round up the usual suspects..
    Last edited by kbe; 2nd March 2010 at 01:07 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I suppose I agree with posting the Zeitgeist prediciton after...however, the only way to show the readers that "he" made a valid prediction is to post it before the game starts. Perhaps another way would be to have somebody who is not playing keep the results in a "sealed envelope", so to speak, and post later. But that is not as transparent, imo.

Heritage is the underdog today...go Heritage!
    Last edited by Asha; 2nd March 2010 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    I share your concern, SOS. I see little advantage having the Z's prediction published before the poll closes. I think I will enjoy the idea but I think having it's prediction at the end of each round would be a nice post-game re-cap.
    +1.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Blog Entries

Interesting points made, I've got no problem with posting it the next day. I think the effect is minimal, but I suppose we'll see.

EDIT: I think you all trust me to be honest anyway, if anything I'd lie about my predictions, not the Zeitgeists. But I've published everyone's predictions to a google spreadsheet, viewable here. I had to remove the sheet with the awards, I'm keeping them a secret for a while longer. But this may give you an idea of how the tournament is actually put together.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 2nd March 2010 at 03:05 PM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

I move that you should only vote in the head-to-heads that your are truly familiar with both frags. I only felt comfortably voting in 2 of the above match-ups because even if I was familiar with both, I didn't feel I knew them enough to critique fairly.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I move that you should only vote in the head-to-heads that your are truly familiar with both frags. I only felt comfortably voting in 2 of the above match-ups because even if I was familiar with both, I didn't feel I knew them enough to critique fairly.
    If I recall correctly this came up last year as well. Ultimately there is no way to know if every vote is fair in this manner. I personally stick to this unwritten rule and have also voted on only two match-ups here.
    Last edited by DocmanCC; 2nd March 2010 at 05:08 PM.

It's a game people; who cares if you haven't smelt both fragrances in each match up. Your lack of a vote today could mess up your chances of points later on in the tourney.
    Last edited by surreality; 2nd March 2010 at 09:29 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Basenotes Institution

The small # of votes for Polo is surprising me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The small # of votes for Polo is surprising me.

Polo obviously did not deserve it's number one seed. The committee screwed up on that seeding. Polo is getting routed by a much better player.

Blog Entries

I move that you should only vote in the head-to-heads that your are truly familiar with both frags.
    In any other poll, where someone is seeking a consensus from the community regarding two or more scents, I'd absolutely agree. In this case, if someone wants to vote against Dior Homme simply because that's what their dirtbag ex-bf used to wear, I say, "Go for it!" It's just a game, have fun!

I didn't realize our picks would be available for viewing by everyone. I suppose I don't have any privacy issues with that, but knowing how everyone voted, and which scents received exactly what percentage of the majority vote from players before round is over (easily calculated), spoils much of the anticipation and excitement over the outcome for me.

And, Asha, I understand what you're saying about transparency, but I trust Daniel on this (as I do with regard to his own voting). Daniel~ Am I right in thinking that The Zeitgeist prediction is NOT included in the poll voting? I think Z's predictions are a point of statistical curiosity and, in the interest both of avoiding spoilers and thwarting spoilsports, best revealed after the poll closes.

edit: P.S. TWO of my dirtbag ex-bf's used to wear Polo.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 3rd March 2010 at 01:09 AM. Reason: added p.s.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Gosh, I'm really sorry--I did not mean for my comments to raise questions of trust! I believe in bluesoul's integrity 100%! However, no matter, I was thinking in terms of the documentation of the event. Having the Zeitgeist prediction published somewhere (even on the off-site spread sheet, great idea) is a sort of "proof" of that prediction. Having it posted here at the start of the thread makes the process very transparent--that is really all I meant!

Are the individual scores posted above for this round or the last one?

Blog Entries

Asha~ I entirely understood that was your thinking! I never for a moment considered you were doubting Daniel's integrity. I'm so sorry if my post insinuated otherwise! ((hugs!))
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Asha~ I entirely understood that was your thinking! I never for a moment considered you were doubting Daniel's integrity. I'm so sorry if my post insinuated otherwise! ((hugs!))
    Well, I get a little engineer-y sometimes, so I often make statements in a very matter-of-fact way without thinking of the personal/social implications. I completely understand if my original post could have been taken the wrong way!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    I didn't realize our picks would be available for viewing by everyone. I suppose I don't have any privacy issues with that, but knowing how everyone voted, and which scents received exactly what percentage of the majority vote from players before round is over (easily calculated), spoils much of the anticipation and excitement over the outcome for me.

And, Asha, I understand what you're saying about transparency, but I trust Daniel on this (as I do with regard to his own voting). Daniel~ Am I right in thinking that The Zeitgeist prediction is NOT included in the poll voting? I think Z's predictions are a point of statistical curiosity and, in the interest both of avoiding spoilers and thwarting spoilsports, best revealed after the poll closes.
    As I said, I've got no problem with revealing The Zeitgeist's predictions after the fact, I've published the spreadsheet simply to erase, as best I can, any questions regarding tampering. I obviously realize there are no accusations being made, this is simply for the sake of professionalism.

The logical answer to the reading of the spreadsheet killing the suspense would be...don't read it. I'm doing as best I can to strike a balance, and this has always had element of "learn as we go" to it. I think having the spreadsheet available but not forced viewing is the simplest solution. I'll be showing The Zeitgeist's same predictions that are above on the next game thread, and from then on he'll be on a one day delay. You're correct in saying he's merely a statistical curiosity, having much more data this year led to a consistency I couldn't get last year with the 7 or 8 people we had participating. Next year if there's sufficient demand I'll create a web-based bracket with PHP or AJAX or some such, but I didn't want to put that level work into it this year being unsure of the participation level. I'm game to hear any other suggestions as always.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 3rd March 2010 at 05:46 AM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    The logical answer to the reading of the spreadsheet killing the suspense would be...don't read it.
    Lol! Indeed!

I'm now even more intrigued by the Zeitgeist's predictions as we see more voters participating. With now 90 voters, only a third of whom are players, we may see more variance.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Is it possible to make the future polls public? I always enjoy seeing who voted for what.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Is it possible to make the future polls public? I always enjoy seeing who voted for what.
    I was contacted last year discreetly by several members who preferred it remain private, so I'd rather have more participation at the expense of some unsatisfied curiosities.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    I was contacted last year discreetly by several members who preferred it remain private, so I'd rather have more participation at the expense of some unsatisfied curiosities.
    No problem. I definitely agree that if anyone was opposed to it being public, it should be private. I'm just a bit surprised anyone actually minded others seeing their vote. Oh well!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!