Code of Conduct

Default My new hobby: what do you think so far?

Hi I am boosh

Just wanted to formally introduce myself on the forum. I have been reading reviews and forum posts on here for a few weeks and thought it was time to get involved.

In the few weeks I have been scouting the pages of BN, I have also bought a few fragrances (and samples) based on peoples opinions. Of the fragrances I've bought, what are your thoughts? And when and for what do yout think is the time to wear them?

Here they are:

Full bottles

Azzaro Chrome
    Terre d'hermes
    Givenchy Play intense
    Bvlgari Aqva
    Liz Claiborne Curve for men
    YSL Body Kouros
    Rochas Man
    John Varvatos John Varvatos
    Penhaligons Castile

Samples

Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Amouage Lyric for men
    Kiehl's Original Musk Blend No. 1
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Czech & Speake No. 88

I am also thinking about samples of Bond #9: Chez bond, Bleecker Street and Riverside Drive

Thankyouuu

Default Re: My new hobby: what do you think so far?

You're off to a great start! It all depends on your means, of course, but in general, I'd suggest a stronger lean towards sampling first before you splurge on bottles.

Welcome to Basenotes!
    You have some great fragrances and samples. Let me think of times to wear frags and i will get back to the thread. What are your thoughts on the purchases you've made?
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Basenotes Plus

OK, since you asked what (I think...)

Azzaro Chrome - what X-Men's Colossus would wear: an aquatic with metallic twist - Fun frag with a crisp modern feel.

Terre d'hermes - distinctive rather masculine scent, one of my faves from JC Ellena.

Givenchy Play intense - powder dry, sweet & peppery. Pleasant enough but it still won't bring 'sexy' back.

Bvlgari Aqva - marine oriental (to me). Could do with a little more freshness though...

Liz Claiborne Curve for men - too fresh too synthetic, rather jarring.

YSL Body Kouros - hairy chest-thumping gorilla opening but pretty good & smooth drydown.

John Varvatos John Varvatos - nice fruity leather, but doesn't last. Like a Lutens on tight budget.

I must say you've got yourself a nicely varied fragrance wardrobe. Wd be interested to know what you think of them..

Welcome to BASENOTES!
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 3rd March 2010 at 02:00 AM.

Thanks for the advice Galamb_Borong, I wish I'd have known about TPC before I splashed out!

My thoughts on the wardrobe so far:

My favourite is Penhaligon's Castile, yet I don't know when I'm ever going to wear it. I'm 20 and I'm not sure people my age would appreciate it as much as me, it also has a feminine feel to it. Love the smell though, and the bottle!

Not too sure about the others to be honest. Bvlgari seems like a lesser version of Issey Miyake, the metallic smell of Chrome I do not like at all and Givenchy Play intense is far too sweet for me.

I am fans of Terre d'hermes, Rochas, Body Kouros and John Varvatos though, good buys I think!

Thanks for the replies guys!

Dependent

Hi there Boosh, Welcome!

Any start is a good start.

I think Diamondflame covered your wardrobe pretty well. And your collection looks very neat. I also think you made some great choices with your sample list. If you feel comfortable, do share your impressions with us.

Just a mini note: as with reviews and opinions, they are very personal to the reviewer/poster and subject to his/her unique taste and interpretation. It will be more easy to rely on reviews once you have identified reviewers whose tastes seem to be similar to yours. They are the ones who probably experience scents more closely to the way you do.

Here's to many more successful purchases! You'll have a blast on BN.

Welcome to the community, boosh! Play with them all and you will decide for yourself when to wear them. That's part of the quest!

I didn't notice a traditional oriental type of frag on your list, so if that's the case, why not get a good "cheapo?" If you liked cinnamon, Diesel Zero Plus au Masculin is solid and very inexpensive.

Thanks matthewfoo, seems like very good advice that I may not have thought myself.

Bigsly, I'm afraid I am a complete "noob" when it comes to frag. terminology. I'm not sure it's possible without using my nose but can anyone describe the main classes of fragrance? I'm pretty sure I have my finger on leather with John Varvatos.

Eva Pasco

Welcome!

You've got quite a stash--none of which I'm familiar with sniffing or spritzing.

Update!

Got my Czech & Speake sample pack today (2.50 from their site). I am a bit dissapointed with the range so far, but I think I may have found a diamond! I never thought that I would love the smell of lavender with a peppy kind of twist, but I do, especially after about 30mins on my wrist!

The fragrance: Oxford & Cambridge.

Anyone else tried this and have an opinion?