Code of Conduct

Default Classic Italian men's fragrances?

Besides Acqua di Parma & Acqua di Genova, does anyone know of any traditionally "classic" Italian fragrances, say pre 1960s? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Classic Italian men's fragrances?

Lorenzo Villoresi makes many great fragrances. If you like Parma and Genova, I would suggest trying LV's Acqua di Colonia. It is probably the best traditional cologne in production today and its allegedly all natural. Most of the cologne fanatics here hold in the same esteem.

Blog Entries

"The fragrance of Italian royalty, Italian history and Italian tradition, ACQUA di GENOVA is the crown jewel of nineteenth-century taste and style.

Acqua di Genova was created in 1853 by the famous Genoese perfumer Stefano Frecceri for the Royal House of Savoia and the beautiful Countess of Castiglione. The fragrance soon became famous and widely used throughout all the European royal courts, becoming a particular favorite of the Emperor Napoleon, whose use of the product made it wildly successful with the French and European bourgeoisie. The cologne's clean and refined scent was enjoyed equally by both men and women, as it is today.

For 150 years, Acqua di Genova has retained its original formula and characteristics. To this day, it is still packaged with the same opulent design first used in 1853, employing beautifully handcrafted glass bottles, gilded labels and tasseled spray pumps. Citrus and bergamot top notes, and floral middle notes of neroli and rose, combine to produce this classic fragrance. Acqua di Genova Eau de Cologne is available in a 3.3 oz. bottle, which comes elegantly boxed and includes the signature spray pump."

----From EyeItalia.com (first online retailer of this prestigious and historical line of products)

There are so many: Santa Maria Novella, Borsalino, Silvestri, etc., etc.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 3rd March 2010 at 04:36 AM.

I think Sartoriale is one of them
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Antico Caruso

i profumi di firenze are worth checking out

Aqua de Selva comes from the 1940's, and it's still around.
    I saw it fairly expensive in London some years back, and fairly cheap in Australia.
    I like it. Lasting power is around three to four hours, because it really is cologne strength.
    Renato

I'll echo the Silvestre, Santa Maria Novella and I Profumi di Firenze suggestions, also Villoresi.
    And let's not forget Borsari.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Probably, what you are looking for is Battistoni Classico.

Institute Très Bien Cologne à L'Italienne

Although both only released in 1984 and by designer houses: Armani Eau pour Homme and Versace L'Homme convey this kind of suave, Old-School Italian stylishness pretty well

Antico Caruso
    Versace L'Homme
    Domenico Caraceni 1913

I don't know if they're "classic" Italian truly. I own and love all three.
    I would say Caruso is kind of high end Italian barbershop.
    Versace L'Homme just a fantastic scent.
    Caraceni very, very suave and elegant.

edit; Sorry, missed the pre 1960s part of this.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 15th August 2010 at 07:12 PM.

ANTICA FARMACIA DEL CINGHIALE have been going since 1752 in Florence Italy http://www.farmaciacinghiale.com/storia_ing.htm I've tried a few samples and they are typical classic Italian fragrances.

Institut tres Bien a L'Italienne has always struck me as one of the cleanest, freshest, most classical of this genre. It goes on light and bright, does not veer into excessive florality or heaviness. No neroli, orange blossom. I love it because it is light on its feet and makes you feel that way too. A Cezanne as opposed to a Monet. Sometimes less is more and a lot harder to find. A breath of fresh air in an age of overkill.
    Although discontinued, I was able to purchase some directly from the manufacturer in France by emailing their website.

@woolheater,
    May I ask when you were able to buy directly from ITB and the cost and size of their items? Can you describe the scent a bit more (notes, longevity, projection)?
    Thanks!
    RM

Silvestri is what I think of when I think 1960's Italian...

Teddius

I flew to the bottom of this list to make sure R de Capucci had been added. If it was aforementioned, forgive me, but it is so wonderful it has to be on this list!