Code of Conduct

Default Favorite Mainstream Female Fragrances of the Last Three Years

I want to buy my mother a birthday gift for June but I thought I'd get an early start and start looking now. I want to buy online from a discounter so that's why I am asking about the best fragrances from the last three years so I can ensure that the juice is not old. I want to get her something that is suitable for the warmer spring and summer months. Would Burberry The Beat EdP be a good choice? Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Ronin; 3rd March 2010 at 09:22 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Favorite Mainstream Female Fragrances from the Last Three Years

Tuberose Gardenia by Estee Lauder and Gucci by Gucci are my faves. However, Jasmine White Moss by Estee Lauder might appeal too. Good luck !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 3rd March 2010 at 03:42 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I am not a fan of The Beat, but I think it is not offensive. For light summery frags, the house Bulgari is better, I think.

Do you know what your mother's preferences are? Does she own any fragrances?

Incidentally, just because something is an older brand does not mean it is not fresh.
    Last edited by Asha; 3rd March 2010 at 03:52 AM.

Thanks for the advice so far. I know that an older brand won't necessarily mean that it's bad juice but I just don't want to risk it in this case. I'll probably be buying from someplace like ScentedMonkey. In the past I gave her Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge from Bulgari that she liked and used up the entire bottle. She sometimes sprays my old Paul Smith Story bottle that I don't use anymore. Last year I gave her Juicy Couture EDP but I'm not sure how much she liked it but she used up the entire bottle. What from Bulgari and other houses do you recommend?
    Last edited by Ronin; 3rd March 2010 at 03:59 AM.

Hillaire

Oh, my! This is a challenge. I nominate:

La Prairie Life Threads Gold - A sweet, deep, floral Oriental
    Natori Natori -- well-rounded top-notch Oriental. This is really new and I LOVE it, available at Saks and online.
    Armani Prive Rose Alexandrie bright rose chypre with nice longevity
    Armani Onde Vertige soft, creamy, inoffensive floral
    Sisley Eau de Sisley 2 this is a very herbaceous "Eau", and classic-smelling
    Paul and Joe Bleu -- If she likes Shalimar, this one is good choice.
    Michael Kors Very Hollywood -- nice bottle delicious heavy tuberose gardenia
    Jil Sander Style or Stylessence, creamy suedey orientals. Stylessence is heavier and sweeter.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 3rd March 2010 at 04:07 AM.

Ronin, Bulgari is generally good all around, not offensive and can be found at the discounters. Eau Parfumee au The Vert is the best of the tea series. The Voile de Rose and Voile de Jasmine are both very wearable florals, although nothing too special. All the Omnias are decent, with the original probably being the best. I think in The Guide, Bulgari pour femme was rated well, also.

A couple of really nice vanilla frags that can be had for cheap are Givenchy Organza and Kenzo Amour.

Some nice modern orientals that I think can be found at discount are Lolita Lempicka (licorice over creamy woods) and Miss Dior Cherie (strawberry over woody patchouli).

I'm not very knowledgeable about florals. Chanel Cristalle is proabaly a safer bet (and more widely available) than Estee Lauder Jasmine White Moss. The new No.5 Eau Premiere just came out in a "petite" bottle, too. Another modern ylang/tuberose is LAMB, if I am not mistaken (it has been a while since I sniffed it). Dior Hypnotic Poison may be a better pick than LAMB, though.
    Last edited by Asha; 3rd March 2010 at 04:22 AM.

I second (thrid? fourth?) to house of Bvlgari. Also you could consider Cristalle Eau Verte and EL Pure White Linen, both are new scents that are femine and inoffensive

Default Re: Favorite Mainstream Female Fragrances of the Last Three Years

I agree with Natori. It was the first to come to mind. It is both lovely and easy to love and wear. The new Valentino is also quite nice.

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked Natori and the price is steep. I should have mentioned that I want to buy her something that is regularly available at a discount! Remember, this may be a blind buy, unless I take to Nordstrom and test some perfumes for myself. I don't want to get her something expensive and risk her not liking it. At least if she doesn't like what I choose for her, I can always try again on Christmas! Even if she likes it, I can always buy something else for Christmas so I want something that can be found for $50 at most. Keep up the suggestions!
    Last edited by Ronin; 3rd March 2010 at 12:36 PM.

For your mom? I would go with Burberry the Original (Femme) -- peaches and cedar, soft, long-lasting, sweet.

My personal favorite for the last three years has been L'Or de Torente -- I doubt that you can see it at the regular brick-and-mortar stores, but if you PM me, I can send you guys a small sample. Available through almost all e-tailers, roses, angelica, a touch of coffee, a slow developer, a long-laster and very affordable.

Another suggestion is to have a closer look at Pierre Balmain fragrances -- I can also send you samples of La Mome and Balmain de Balmain to see if you guys would like them.

Hanae Mori -- the original one -- with a butterfly on the box -- comes in pink (EdT), blue (EdP), yellow (fraiche) and red (extrait) -- a soft oriental with dry vanilla and tasty (not vulgar or overly sweet!) fruit.

Lolita Lempicka scents are very nicely done, especially the original Lolita Lempicka (mom has to like anise./licorice to fully appreciate this) and L (very wearable, soft vanillic orange cream popsicle).

Thanks for the recommendations! I tried the Burberry for Women at a TJ Maxx last year in search of a fragrance for my mom and it seemed rather weak and subtle, though the smell was pleasant. Is there a chance of a reformulation?
    Last edited by Ronin; 3rd March 2010 at 01:22 PM.

Bvlgari Blv II is recent, very similar to Lolita Lempicka but a little quieter and usually available at discounters.

I join the que and recommend Bulgari. They have many great scents, incl. Bulgari Femme (in the yellow box), the "the" series (if she liked au The Rouge then she would for sure like the white and green tea too), the original Omnia, and Jasmin Noir. My personal favourite is Jasmin Noir followed by Omnia. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.
    Some other ideas: Balmain - Balmya (milky capuccino and flowers, you can get the 50 ml bottle for 15 EUR!) and if you want something fresh but sophisticated for summer then Dior Escale a Pondichery (more difficult to find at online retailers than the others though). If she likes vanilla (with a dash of bergamote and a bit of smoke) but is not into overly sweet or gourmand scents then Shalimar EDP is THE choice (at least for me). :-)

Good luck with your scent hunt! Your mother is very lucky! :-)

Thank you for the kind words, Bonsai. It is I who is the lucky one to have such a mother. Thanks for all the help everyone.
    Last edited by Ronin; 3rd March 2010 at 02:09 PM.

Banned

I second twolf's choice of Hanae Mori. It's light, not overtly sweet and everyone seems to like it.
    If you want to be on the safe side, why not go for Estée Lauder or Lancome? "Beautiful" and "White Linen" are safe bets.

Echoing Balmain de Balmain, Eau Premiere, and Gucci by Gucci.

Though if you find a 5 oz of No. 5 EP for @ $50 you have to let me know b/c I want it for myself.
    Last edited by Antaeusintheair; 3rd March 2010 at 03:42 PM.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

If you had just said 5 years, I could recommend
    Miss Dior Chérie ... a true mothers scent!

Eva Pasco

Don't rule out shopping on line at Victoria's Secret as they not only carry their own lines but other houses as well. If you opted for a VS fragrance, you could also probably afford to include a lotion or shower gel.

Suitable for spring/summer and not too pricey, you say.
    Summer by Kenzo, Bulgari pour femme, Bulgari Blu, Bulgari Omnia Green Jade, Pleasures (Esté Lauder), Pleasures Delight (if she likes it really sweet, but still fresh) Happy Heart (Clinique), JLo Blue Glow,
    Exotic Green Tea (Elizabeth Arden), Pure White Linen Pink Coral, Versace Versence, Daisy (Marc Jacobs)

All of the above are fairly light and inexpensive. The best thing would have been if you could smell something out that you like yourself. If you like it, she probably will, too! Just steer clear of the heavy orientals for summer, and don´t buy anything too "special/weird", and you would be on the safe side. Good luck!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan