Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Wednesday 3 March

Good morning!

The Different Company Bois d'Iris for me.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: SotD Wednesday 3 March

Many prayers for 30 Roses- I am thinking of you and wishing you strength .

Well shock horror ,everyone- 1st time- I have NO perfume on . Soon to be remedied though..........I think it will be Mitsouko parfum .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Neil Morris Gotham.

Notes include Black Pepper, Yuzu, Rose, Narcissus, Ambergris, Myrtlewood, Russian Leather, Amber and Labdanum.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Une Fleur de Cassie from a sample.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Since I posted so late to the Tuesday SotD, I will post ahead of time to the Wednesday thread: I plan to wear Jolie Madame.

Chaya, I was very sorry to read just now about the loss of your pet. I hope you are doing okay.

Sending good vibes to (((Chaya, 30 Roses, RHM, Kewart))), and anyone else who needs 'em. Have a good Wednesday, and take care, all.
    Last edited by Leesee; 4th March 2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: more typos

Jil Sander Sun, as yesterday & the day before.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Today is a sunny day in Belgium! I think I'll go for something spring-like... Montale Intense Tiaré it is!

Thumbs up Re: SotD Wednesday 3 March

Happy Birthday Timaru

Gucci by GUCCI ( from a large decant )

Head Notes
    bergamot, cypress, violet
    Heart Notes
    tobacco, jasmine
    Base Notes
    patchouli, olibanumm, amber, elemi resin
    Last edited by ROBERTO; 3rd March 2010 at 08:40 AM.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Chanel - Gardenia

Sending hugs to all those in need of a good cuddle (especially, 30 Roses, Kewart, Chaya and RHM).

I spritzed some CdG Kyoto (again). I'm teaching a class (attitudes and attitude change) starting today and apparently more masculine perfume makes you seem more competent (regardless of your gender). Not that Kyoto is overly masculine but it's not exactly girly girly either. And though that study was not exactly the most convincing one I've ever read I thought it couldn't hurt to follow their advide. You know, since I love Kyoto anyway...

Pascal Morabito Nejma 2 for me today. Taxes appointment.

Thanks to all for the signs of spring. Here we are at 9 F, but during the daytime it is nice -- at 38 F, with plenty of snow still. Here is a Japanese virtual garden, just click on the black background as many times as you would like to.

http://www.procreo.jp/labo/flower_garden.swf

Positive waves towards our trio, Chaya, 30Roses, and Kewart who are dealing with their recent losses.
    Happy waves to RHM who I'm sure is releived to have lost her kidney stone.

Continuing my week of small perfumers.

Soivohle Underworld

Vetiver is one of the most versatile notes for a perfumer to use and that accounts for it showing up so much within the field. What is interesting is when a perfumer can take vetiver and twist it into something different and give it a fresh new perspective. That is exactly what Liz Zorn did in Underworld her 2008 release for her House, Soivohle.

If I ask someone to describe vetiver most will conjure up a grassy feeling, maybe a fresh note but it is usually a note that is used in fragrances that are thought of as warm-weather fragrances, although that is an over generalization to be sure. Ms. Zorn has taken vetiver and somehow made it a scent that feels much more powerful and something I wouldn’t consider wearing on a hot summer day. The only vetiver I’ve encountered recently that had a similar effect on me was Les Nez Turtle Vetiver Exercise No. 1. Underworld doesn’t smell similar but both perfumers have taken vetiver and pushed it to the upper limits of its intensity.

The top of Underworld is a mix of vetiver and balsam woods. This creates an accord that is much like walking through the woods early in the spring. You can smell the wood on the warm breeze but there is a heady smell of the leaves that have been trapped under the snow all winter. The opening has an earthy moist feeling to it that feels like that early spring walk in the woods. The vetiver and woods stay firmly at the center of Underworld and over time a bit of full-blooded jasmine adds an indolic flair to the proceedings before a raw unrefined leather appears and takes this to a whole different intensity. The leather in conjunction with the vetiver and balsamic woods create a strong finish to what was already a memorable fragrance.

Underworld has excellent longevity and modest sillage. This seems to be a trademark of the Soivohle fragrances I’ve tried. For a natural fragrance these perfumes have a very good longevity but they all stay close to the skin.

Underworld is perfumery for the colognoisseur. Ms. Zorn is not making fragrances for the lowest common denominator. Her compositions challenge the nose and reward the time spent with them in finding nuance in every sniff. These are not going to be for every person as they can be seen as challenging and they are intense. For those of you who are looking to try something totally different and creative point your way towards Ms. Zorn and Soivohle.

Have a Worthy Wednesday everyone.

Still thinking of you, 30 Roses and Chaya .... hugs from over here in the UK.

Am slightly embarrassed to say that I am wearing Penhaligon's Naughty today. It's a completely preposterous name for a pretty decent -- and incredibly cheap -- scent. It's leathery, but with more flowers and sweetness than I'd ordinarily favour. Rather like a light Azuree, in fact. It's a cologne but lasts all day and packs quite a punch. Why they gave it this ridiculous name escapes me.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Oh Wolfie...thanx for them fleurs!! (Ackshully...if you hold down the mouse [!!!!] you can paint flowers all over the screen!])

Felt figgy and found a sample of
    Premier Figuier Extreme
    ....HEAVEN!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 3rd March 2010 at 11:03 AM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Oh SMM you do make Soivohle sound interesting!

Hugs to 30 Roses, Chaya and all those in need.
    Thank you all for your support after Mum died. I am
    getting stronger every day and have come to terms with my loss,
    now that it is not so raw.

I am wearing a combination of "O" de Lancome, AA Mandarine Basilic
    and "Y" - please don't ask me why because I have no idea!!
    They meld quite well together actually.

Good morning all. Just read the bad ews about Chaya's pet too Big hug coming your way from me...ad not to forget all in need of one! Today is one of those days I feel completely exhausted before getting up.At least I'm glad we nearly finished our assignmnet yesterday. (took us 7 hours with so called "editing" only!) Sotd is an old favourite, Trouble.

Basenotes Plus

Hi you guys.....
    I'm here, feel like *&!# but it's because of the anesthesia & pain meds. Nausea is so not my friend.
    My doc is not convinced this puppy is completely gone. I did get to see the big honking thing on x-ray though. The tech was so excited, "It's my first big one!"
    It's progress I say & that's good.

I smelled wonderful. Didn't notice any scent on the staff in this hospital, unlike the one on the 23/24th.

Today I'm sticking with lighter scents & DSH's Sunny Yellow seems best.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Oh, Chaya. What can be said? I am so sorry.
    RHM. Please continue your fragrant recovery.
    30 Roses: Be strong, dear.

I am wearing the lovely Attrape-Coeur. Hard to believe that such a beauty has been discontinued.

Vamp by Ava Luxe. Giving up the love to Serena!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

RHM, so good to hear that your "big one" is gone.
    Was planning on staying with an iris today, but Cuir de Lancome called my name instead.

Congratulations, RHM!!! Success! Those drugs can make you feel gross, that's true. Go for the Gravol or some other anti nausea and try to drink lots of fresh juices: they'll help clear the drugs from your system and give you energy too. I'm so happy for you! And how wonderful that you smell so lovely:-)

Going to a Butterflies Fly Free exhibit at the Botanical Gardens with 'the boy'---our little 2 year old. Am leaning towards AG 's Le Chevrefeuille....I hope the butterflies like it!

Have a wonderful day everyone
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Chaya - oh no! Sorry to hear about your pet. It sounds like you and your family had 8 wonderful years together.

Kewart - I've been away - so just heard. Hugs to you and my sincere condolences to you and your family over the loss of your mother.

RHM - hope you feel better soon. The creepy crud is going around my office and gym too. Managed to avoid it so far. Take care of yourself!

---------------------------------------------

In solidarity with SMM for small perfumers week. If you couldn't tell - I'm pretty fixated on Possets right now.

Fabienne's scents are oil-based and tend not to evolve very much. When I am in the mood for a comfort scent that behaves predictably on my skin - I reach for her vials - particularly her Silver series. Over the past few months, I've been finding I've been reaching for them more and more.

Maybe it's a bit of perfume burnout (hence the silence recently)
    Maybe it's not having the bandwidth to think about how a scent "evolves"
    Maybe it's the need for predictability of wear.
    Maybe it's the need to feel confident that I smell "good" and that I won't set off other's "scent allergies"

-----------------------------------
    Today - Orion.
    Creamy, resiny woods. Marketed as a masculine, but missing the sharp edge that I find many woody masculines manifest on my skin.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Lalique pour Homme Equus

Hugs to Chaya. I fully understand. I am typing this with the last of my bevvy of Himalayas, my 16 year old Blue Himmie Hobbes, curled up and purring contentedly in my lap. His brother passed a month ago and Hobbes still calls and looks around for him every morning before dawn. He sleeps much more these days. We don't have them with us forever--16 years is an incredible gift of time for a Himmie--and when they do go they take a piece of our heart with them.
    Last edited by kbe; 3rd March 2010 at 01:00 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Iris 39 by Le Labo

LOVE IT!

Today wearing the last drops from my Bulgari - Jasmin Noir sample.

Basenotes Plus

RHM, glad to hear from you. Hope you heal up quick 'n fast. xxxooo
    (((((Chaya))))) and (((((30Roses))))) and whoever else wants them.

Twolfie, regarding signs of spring, I heard birdsong very early this morning. And today I noticed that my Bradford pear trees are all covered with buds. They don't bear fruit, but in a couple of weeks they'll be covered with tiny white blossoms, giving way to glossy green leaves. My heart lifted at the sight and the sound, let me tell you.

Krigler Lovely Patchouli. I think I have enough left for one more wearing, two if I'm cautious.

Best to all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

In the BMM games, we have TWO beloved Guerlains in competition!
    In Guerlain solidarity, I will be wearing Jicky today...go Jicky!

Cast your votes here:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/247166-BMM10-3-3-Games-5-8-%28Habit-Rouge-Jicky-SMW-Musc-Ravageur-K10-More!%29

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Today I'm entertaining someone I worked with 30!?! years ago. From the age of 18 to 23, I worked at a newspaper publishing company with a cast of creative characters to rival the funniest sitcom.

Trying to fool my visitor into thinking I've gained some class by wearing Sabi.

Hang in there, you mighty souls.
    Last edited by Quarry; 3rd March 2010 at 01:44 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Chanel Cristalle....spring has sprung!

Blog Entries

Un Coeur en Mai
    By Patricia Nicolai
    Hyacinth, lily of the valley, petitgrain, bergamot, Bulgarian rose, galbanum, black currant, melon, Moroccan mimosa, Bourbon geranium, black pepper, coriander, musk, and precious woods.

Fresh and cool. I am comparing this to Delrae-Debut to see if it is significantly different. This is a much cooler scent so far. It does seem different from the linden-based Debut. I think the black current has a cooling effect.
    Last edited by kumquat; 3rd March 2010 at 02:18 PM.

Kumquat and I must be on complementary wavelengths today... I'm in Delrae's Debut.

I'm wearing Musc Ravageur today.

Does this improve with age? It seems mellower now than it did a couple of years ago.

Good thoughts to all!

Hello everyone!

cello, the Magnolia Nobile is magnificent. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

My sotd is Acqua di Parma's glorious Magnolia Nobile.

I love a lot of fragrances, but Magnolia Nobile actually moves me. With this, I've finally found the third of a perfect magnolia triumvirate. I have the more complex and stylized magnolia blend of L'Instant de Guerlain, the ultra-creamy, sweet and warm magnolia bouquet of Avon's Tomorrow, and now this, as close as I've smelled to the real thing, and I am over the moon!

Magnolia grandiflora is the State Flower of Louisiana, my home. It blossoms on one of the most beautiful trees I've ever set eyes on, in or out of bloom. The leaves are amazing, like rich buffed green leather lined with soft brown suede underneath. But the bloom is the star, dazzling in every respect - size, form, color, and a fragrance that could make you weep. I've loved it my whole life. It reminds me of home, and my mother. It's my avatar. Magnolia Nobile is that one - the newly blossomed and breathtaking magnolia grandiflora. Like the other magnolia scents I mentioned, this is also tender and creamy, but with a flourish of cheerful green that keeps it refreshing, and authentic. It has a soft but beautiful sillage, and moderate longevity...but that's of little importance as I'd be thrilled to reapply! Utterly romantic, sweetly enchanting, and simply exquisite.

Five stars. I must have it.

(Pay no attention to the lady behind the magnolia.)

Thanks again to cello for this heavenly slice of home! Y'all have a wonderful day!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 3rd March 2010 at 03:15 PM.

30Roses, my sincere condolences on the loss of your father.

Chaya, am sorry to hear about your pet...

Hugs for RHM & Kewart.

I didn't feel like posting these past days with all that is happening in Greece...
    I am sick and tired of hearing the accountant in the office saying how bad the things go, and that we are on the margin and will take no money anymore and there is no solution and, and, and...
    Well, Greece may be saved but all the small businesses will sink...

Spring is here,too, and I am wearing
    Eau de Camille .
    Last edited by *dora*; 3rd March 2010 at 03:36 PM.

Guerlain Vetiver

Basenotes Institution

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens

I hope to always have this scent in my wardrobe - it hits all of the right buttons, when it comes to a patchouli craving.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I love a lot of fragrances, but Magnolia Nobile actually moves me.
    What a lovely thing to hear about, E. Oh, happy day, eh? And the sun is shining, to boot.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

30 Roses, so sorry for your loss, lost my daddy last year, I don't think anything prepares you for that hole in your heart feeling.
    Chaya, you too...losing a beloved pet.

Today I'm going to work in No Regrets by DeMarkoff. Just craving flowers

Chamade EDT (Guerlain)

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    What a lovely thing to hear about, E. Oh, happy day, eh? And the sun is shining, to boot.
    Yes, indeed - thank you Quarry! The sky is blue, the sun is shining and I smell magnolias - I feel like I'm in love with the whole world!

[QUOTE=Quarry;1767069]Trying to fool my visitor into thinking I've gained some class by wearing Sabi.
    QUOTE]

Quarry dearest - you ARE class. *throwing kisses over the ocean*

I´m in JLo´s new Blue Glue today. Sorry; Glow Blues I mean. NO! The correct name is "Blue Glow", my bad.
    A quite pleasant scent dominated by grape fruit. I´m tempted to buy a small bottle of this one for summer (if I can´t manage to get a bunch of samples of it from my dealer. Once this kind SA gave me 15 samples of Biagiotti´s Laura Rosé).
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Hugs to those in need.

Another day in Sira des Indes for me.

Hermès Hiris before bedtime.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Today AM: Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur

Yesterday PM: SL Rose de Nuit
    Yesterday bedtime: Caldey Island Lavender

Heartfelt hugs to all the hurting today
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Good Wednesday to everybody.

Wearing an oldie but goodie, Rive Gauche.

A good afternoon and evening to all.

Basenotes Plus

My SotE is Le Parfum de Therese.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Blog Entries

Chanel Eau Fraiche
    Citron, Water Hyacinth, Jasmine Absolute, White Musk, Vetiver, Amber, Patchouli, Teak.

The citron's a bit sharp, but it settles down into a pleasant sillage that has been wafting brightly over all the lovely jasmine. A well-balanced jasmine, with the vetiver and patch to give it a little depth. Even the amber feels just right. Chanel knows its stuff!!

Jasmine Hill Gardens in Alabama. I could use a stroll there right about now...

Evangeline, you've got me missing magnolias! Magnolia Nobile sounds stunning!! I'm already a sucker for AdP's Iris Nobile.

Oooh, Kumquat, Un Coeur de Mai sounds breathtaking! Another one to add to the test list.

We could all use some of that spring weather right now.
    Gentle hugs for our darlings... and hoping that glorious renewing energy
    makes its way to all those in need of it.
    <3 ... I'm blind crazy in love... <3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Jil Sander Sun, as yesterday & the day before.
    Veuve, Can you comment on this one? I've been curious about it. Thanks!

Do try it, Exquisite. It could be Exquisitely You!
    Last edited by kumquat; 3rd March 2010 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by exquisitely me View Post
    ...I'm already a sucker for AdP's Iris Nobile.
    Thanks for the recommendation, exquise. me! I'm also working to complete a trio of irises, so that is the very next fragrance I intend to sniff. Needless to say, my expectations are very high!

Tonight, the refreshing Eau de Lalique...

Eau de Lalique by Lalique is a oriental spicy fragrance for women and men. Eau de Lalique was launched in 2003. The noses behind this fragrance are Emilie (Bevierre) Coppermann and Jean-Claude Ellena. Top notes are mandarin orange, pimento, bergamot, garden dill, cardamom and lemon; middle notes are cinnamon, hibiscus and freesia; base notes are sandalwood, musk, benzoin and guaiac wood.

I have the day off so after a sampling marathon all morning and through the afternoon, tonight's scent is...

another sample.

Frederic Malle's improbably named Musc Ravageur. If sexy musk is a cinnamon roll then sign me up. Mmmmm... I like this one.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Sadly my bell jar is half empty. Or maybe half full.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Hello BNers! Still have my virtual arms wrapped around RHM, 30Roses, Chaya, and all you dear folks in a big group bear hug...hope you are all well.

SOTD is FM L'Eau d'Hiver. I feel like I've lost some of my adoration for this one...it's been taking on a slight "synthetic" note or feel to it, reminding me somewhat of the Ormonde Jaynes (brain is functioning on "slow", due to sleep deprivation, I think - I can't remember the name of the chemical this morning). I wore L'Eau d'Hiver happily during the warmest summer months, so perhaps it's just one that works in heat and humidity, as opposed to Hawaiian "winter".

Blue Amber Montale

Femme Jolie

[QUOTE=*dora*;1767176]
    I didn't feel like posting these past days with all that is happening in Greece...

Dora with a heart as good as yours you will always be just fine. I have missed your posts recently so please do 'check in'.

For myself Coco Mademoiselle for daytime. Wearing the strange stuff that is Ava Luxe Midnight Violet for evening. Midnight Violet is both cool and warm at the same time. Ethereal and unusual, it has received very positive comments from friends who usually go for mainstream scents. Wish this one was still in production.

Basenotes Plus

Feeling much better tonight, plus my hubby made perogis. (Not that I should be eating them but it's the thought that counts.)

Tonight I'm craving rich Guerlain....I think I'll wear Atrrape-Coeur. Soooo good!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

This morning I wore Yatagan. Later on I wore Chanel No.22.

Quote Originally Posted by sean-dt View Post
    This morning I wore Yatagan. Later on I wore Chanel No.22.

Best scented day ever!
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric