Code of Conduct

Default Dirty English is just, well, Dirty...

Man, I tried two sprays of this fragrance at Kohls last night at 6pm. I want to like it, but there's something that puts me off with it. So at 8pm, I tried scrubbing it off with soap/water. A half hour later, that leathery woods smell returned. I scrubbed again with baking soda/soap/water. Then a round of rubbing alcohol. I've taken two showers since and still, over 12 hours later, I can still smell it. Dang. I find a fragrance that lasts but I dont like it.

Still smelling dirty...

Default Re: Dirty English is just, well, Dirty...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Man, I tried two sprays of this fragrance at Kohls last night at 6pm. I want to like it, but there's something that puts me off with it. So at 8pm, I tried scrubbing it off with soap/water. A half hour later, that leathery woods smell returned. I scrubbed again with baking soda/soap/water. Then a round of rubbing alcohol. I've taken two showers since and still, over 12 hours later, I can still smell it. Dang. I find a fragrance that lasts but I dont like it.

Still smelling dirty...
    O/K, that's some sort of debris, may be Iso E Super? A tremendous fixative used up to tremendous levels in consumer frags nowadays. The sugestion is to use it up to 1% of concentrate, but for instance Terre D'Hermes > 50%, imagine! Just when You think it's gone and You try an other frag on the same spot of skin, be sure it will come back ... well, that's progress. It lasts for weeks, enjoy your rubber lollipop 8-]

Exactly! After my morning shower, I didnt smell it. I put on some Polo Blue this morning and bang, I smell the Dirty poking through. Ugh.
    Last edited by Kerosene; 3rd March 2010 at 01:12 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Exactly! After my morning shower, I didnt smell it. I put on some Polo Blue this morning and bang, I smell the Dirty poking through. Ugh.
    Maybe they should have named it Phoenix
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Yeah i also found that smell to be "dirty" honestly I think the only person who could pull it off is a Hell's Angel. You honestly need to be in a Biker Gang to pull this off lol

Yeah, this is one of those that it looks like they overestimated the popularity and cranked out so much of it they flooded the market. I got a new bottle for like $12 and promptly gave it to a friend at work. I did not care for it at all, but he said he and his wife like it so it wasn't as bad of a gift as I thought!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I only found the 'dirt' in the opening...and the remaining scent is nowhere as tenacious on my skin. Maybe I didn't spray enough of it...

My friend always said it had a dirty smell to it. I thought it's a rather subtle smell but some times it's more prominent than other times. I'm curious how this one will perform in the hot months.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Maybe they should have named it Phoenix
    Good one! I haven't had this issue with Dirty English, I bought one of the gift sets at Wal-Mart when they were on clearance after Christmas, perhaps they had a more watered down version but to me it seemed the same as the stuff I tried at Kohls.

I've worn it, it didn't smell bad on me. I wouldn't really call this "Dirty" it smells boozy on me when I wear it. More of a night fragrance, or in cold weather when cold sudues it. I can't imagine wearing this in the summer, would be way too heavy.

I think Im more of an aromatic fragrance kinda-guy. And this one caught me way off guard. ....still smelling it. Craziness!

I love this scent but actually found it too light and with short lasting power on my skin. I'd love a bottle..
    Last edited by myaccolades; 3rd March 2010 at 04:54 PM.

the comments about ISO are interesting.....makes me wonder--I've had a similar experience recently, I had put on Quorum in the morning, and after a long day of work, got home, spritzed some Lacoste Essential on and went to the gym. I noticed some crazy combo of fragrances, unlike either single frag....is the ISO Super E in LaCoste Essential, does anyone know?
    url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/972]Wardrobe[/url]

It took me a couple of wearings to really like Dirty English...
    I always wore it at home. Not sure if this would be suitable as an Office scent...?
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

I like Dirty English. It does have an impure vibe...not so much "dirty" per se, just dense and unrefined. I think dry woods and leather pretty much sums it up.

I've never had issues with it mysteriously returning so long after a wear, and in fact I wish it was a little more tenacious on me.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 3rd March 2010 at 10:04 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I would agree with LiveJazz that Dirty English gets its raw/dirty smell from [dry] woods and leather. I wasn't especially impressed with this one at first spritz, but after the second testing I bought a small bottle. It sort of reminds me of a Nemo by Cacharel/Gucci pour Homme (2003) hybrid fragrance. It is a bit more rugged than either of these, and as where I would feel comfortable wearing Nemo or Gucci PH at the workplace, the Dirty English is reserved for my days off. It's just a bit too edgy/unrefined for 'the office,' in my opinion.

I always thought it was a mild incense / spice / leather scent, nothing really 'dirty' about it. Maybe its just my skin?
    For something similar but more soapy try Dunhil Pursuit
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by SillageMonger View Post
    It's just a bit too edgy/unrefined for 'the office,' in my opinion.
    I always wear edgy, unrefined, or complex stuff to work, also look for sillage heavy long lasting stuff. I never really received any complaints for doing so but one of my friends claimed Ungaro I smelled like weed. Only things I reguarly got complimented on are Eau de FCUK (original unisex variant), and Minotaure. No one has complained when I wore Dirty English, I wore Royal Copenhagen the other day when I posed the thread about that, no complaints there either.

I think there are a lot more obnoxious fragrances than Dirty English. On me this is a boozy scent but hardly oppressive or annoying. I think the real enemy would be wearing this if its hot. I think it could become overly oppressive, but they can be deceiving, I've worn Ungaro I often in the summer and you think it would come off as heavy but it smells more spicy in the heat and isn't as strong as you'd think.

Dirty English is definitely a scent I would not want to be lingering on my skin. I think it's a horrible scent.

I find it very uninspired honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by kxe003 View Post
    I find it very uninspired honestly.
    Take the topnotes of Ikon and a watered down base of Gucci PH and you have DE. A step in the right direction but superfluous.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Surprisingly negative comments. I think it's manly and a little bit harsh/edgy. Just perfect.