Code of Conduct

Default Spring/Summer Refreshing Green Floral

I'm looking for at least one new (to me) green floral for spring/summer that has a nice galbanum or vetiver bite, but also crisp, clean, fresh flowers and citrus/fruit optional. A woody or mossy or hay base wouldn't hurt.

I've got some contenders on my radar:

Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere (I'll probably get this soon)
    Bel Respiro (just tested and it's very good, but it's very diaphanous, not sure I like that)
    Guerlain Chamade (looking for vintage edc at a reasonable price)
    Cristalle (need to retest all the variants: edt, edp, eau vert)
    Ormand Jayne Tiare (high hopes for this and plan to sample soon, but it's pricey)
    Diorella (love Eau Sauvage, so perhaps).
    Vintage Vent Vert (is the new stuff really that bad?)

Already in my collection are: Balmain de Balmain, Concentree d'Orange Vert, Eau Sauvage, Ivoire, No. 19, and Un Jardin sur le Nil.

What have I missed? Thanks as always for your suggestions, help, and comments.

I should add, masculine, feminine, unisex, martian, venusian, atlantean marketed scents are all fair game.

Last edited by Antaeusintheair; 3rd March 2010 at 03:01 PM.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Banned

Default Re: Spring/Summer Refreshing Green Floral

You have good taste, and it seems that you're all set to go - once this horrid winter finally goes away.
    Do you like Calyx? It's kind of spring-ish.

Merci beaucoup Madame. I have heard of Calyx, but never researched it. Exactly the kind of stuff I'm after. Cheers.
    I offer you perfume,
    You perfume perfume.

How about Miss Dior (the original) and maybe also L'ombre dans l'eau?
    Last edited by ineespenes; 3rd March 2010 at 03:08 PM.

Annick Goutal Eau de Camille
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

You have excellent tastes. We share Eau Sauvage, Ivoire and No. 19! You made a good decision of seeking Chamade vintage version. The opening of current version is way to sharp for me.

Sorry I have nothing to recommend (sitting here waiting for other peoples's comments)
    Last edited by j_mysscent; 3rd March 2010 at 03:34 PM.

Mmmm, grapefruit, rose, and greenery. The Dyptique sounds lovely.

I will search out the Miss Dior as I've only seen Miss Dior Cherie in stores. I tried that once and if I ever feel the need to go back I will mix together some Cracker Jack caramel corn and Strawberry Poptarts--it was not a pleasant fragrance for me.

The current Miss Dior has longevity issues I can see from the reviews, but is it an adequate representation of the vintage (i.e., if I love it, but find it fleeting will I only love the vintage more)?
    I offer you perfume,
    You perfume perfume.

Hi Antaeus! I particularly like your Chamade and Tiare ideas. And I think you might love Parfums de Nicolai Le Temps d'Une Fete. It is just gorgeous! Also, I recently discovered Paco Rabanne's Calandre. It is a lightly aldehydic (if I can take it, anyone can!) green floral. Super refreshing!

If you can handle a touch of aquatic, I highly recommend trying Eau d'Italie Magnolia Romana and L'Artisan Fleur de Liane.
    Last edited by Haunani; 3rd March 2010 at 09:16 PM.

I would suggest Gres Cabotine, very underrated gem!

Parfum DelRae's Amoureuse is simply the most beautiful green floral I've ever worn. Tangerine, cardamon, tuberose, over a sheer green blanket of oakmoss and cool florals. Otherworldly.

Gucci No. 3 is excellent, and much more in line with what you already own. I reviewed it here. It's discontinued but not too hard to find.

If you want a much more traditionally "masculine" green floral, the male counterpart to Ivoire is Ebene. I reviewed it here.

Continuing on Huanani's mention of a touch of aquaticism, En Passant is truly haunting though may not be green enough for you, and Ofresia is an interesting watery-green take on the genre that's quite light, but still complex.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 3rd March 2010 at 04:38 PM.

I'm not sure about how widely distributed they are, or what the current formulas are like (they might even be discontinued at this point) but I would recommend two of my favorites for summer, Yendi by Roberto Capucci - bright, vivacious and refreshing green with a gorgeous floral signature, and Fidji, by Guy Laroche. It's a bit softer (but not sheer) and with slightly more tropical-feeling florals, though I don't find it beachy. They're both sunny, warm-weather classics. I always try to find the older formulations (lots on eBay) but as good as they were, I'm sure whatever you can find would be wonderful.

Regarding Vent Vert - I much prefer the original formulation, but there are fans of the next one, too. It's really very good, as long as you're not already addicted to the first. It has a cap that looks like grass blowing in the wind. The latest one is the one to avoid - it has a green cap with the white polka dots.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alicka61 View Post
    i would suggest gres cabotine, very underrated gem!
    yes!

Really good suggestions so far. I just discovered Givenchy III -- it is galbanum-green at the top, floral in the middle, and mossy/woody at the bottom, and it is gorgeous. I also suggest Murasaki, though some say the newest version cannot compare to the circa 1980 version. Murasaki is a wonderful scent.
    Last edited by Leesee; 3rd March 2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: clarification

Thanks for the quick and overwhelming responses. I see Cabotine and it's flankers at Marshalls all the time and may one day impulse buy (but should I look for older?).

Good news about the three versions of Vent Vert. I'll seek out the middle with the pretty cap if price or availability are an issue.

Haunani, Calandre and Les Temps should definitely be on my list and had slipped my mind... thanks!

En Passant is already on my "to test" list and even if it's not a "green floral," lilac and fresh bread sound like a dream combo to me. Thanks for the reminder.

Givenchy III was another that I had forgotten to include.

Thanks so much for all the responses... lots of research and sampling ahead, but keep them coming! It's still winter for a while in Minnesota, but I hope to have a few picks by the time daffodils and baby bunnies show up.
    I offer you perfume,
    You perfume perfume.

Blog Entries

You might check my SOTD today. I'm trying Un Couer en Mai by MDCI and Delrae- Debut. Both are glorious greens that you should look into.

Rêverie au Jardin by Tauer Perfumes is my favorite in this category.

Top Notes
    Lavender, Galbanum, Fir balm, Bergamot, Rose absolute.

Middle Notes
    Frankincense, Ambrette seeds, Orris.

Base Notes
    Vetiver, Tonka beans, Oakmoss, Vanilla, Ambergris, Sandalwood, Cedarwood.

Another idea - Penhaligon's Bluebell is known to be a very pretty, fresh green floral centered on English bluebells, or hyacinthoides. I haven't sniffed Penhaligon's version yet, but nature's version is wonderful!

Antaeusintheair,

Your list of contenders looks great. Eau Premiere is one of my staples. And everyone's suggestions are also very good. Much of my thunder has already been stolen, but I did want to suggest Jacomo Silences. Similar to Ivoire, only mossier in the drydown.

As suggested above, Annick Goutal's Eau de Camille is a good one to sample, as is her Le Chèvrefeuille.

EL's Pleasures also springs to mind.

Also, have you tried Chanel's Sycomore? It's not the first thing that comes to mind when someone says green floral, but it's green and it's floral with a distinct iris note in the middle to base notes.

Editing to add the newest version of YSL's Y. The newer version is greener and more flowery. It's quite good, despite the obvious lack of oakmoss overdose as in the original.
    Last edited by VintageVogue; 3rd March 2010 at 06:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Estee Lauder - Private Collections, too. Very mossy.

Paco Rabanne's Metal has always been one of my Spring fragrances, also perhaps YSL Y.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Have you checked out Gucci's Envy (women's version)?

One of my favorite greens for men is Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene.

You can tell that we like your thread, Antaeus. We're all ready for the GREEN of springtime!

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Parfum DelRae's Amoureuse is simply the most beautiful green floral I've ever worn. Tangerine, cardamon, tuberose, over a sheer green blanket of oakmoss and cool florals. Otherworldly...
    As usual, GB chose just the right descriptive word. Amoureuse is unique, gorgeous, and – yes – otherworldly!

Quote Originally Posted by Antaeusintheair View Post
    ...En Passant is already on my "to test" list and even if it's not a "green floral," lilac and fresh bread sound like a dream combo to me...
    En Passant is an ethereal wonder, Antaeus, and I can almost guarantee that you'll like it!

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVogue View Post
    ...Editing to add the newest version of YSL's Y. The newer version is greener and more flowery. It's quite good, despite the obvious lack of oakmoss overdose as in the original.
    I think Y is a good suggestion, too!
    Last edited by Haunani; 3rd March 2010 at 09:26 PM.

like most flankers, Cabotine is the best in its original version. Look for EdP rather than EdT.

I really am grateful for all the great suggestions... and I'll be looking at SotD threads to see what springtime choices everyone is making. Now to cull through the ample possibilities and get to sampling. This will be fun! Keep the options coming and I'll let you all know what joys the sampling brings.
    I offer you perfume,
    You perfume perfume.