Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Holygrace and Holygrapie by Comme des Garçons + Undercover

Yet another bizarro CdG collaboration. Now Smell This reports:

Undercover, the “cult label” of designer Jun Takahashi, has launched a debut duo of fragrances with Comme des Garçons:

Holygrace ~ “a perfume of elegance, soap freshness and poison”, featuring notes of bergamot, ginger and pepper.

Holygrapie ~ “this perfume reflects the smell of babies, kindness and sensuality.”

Comme des Garçons + Undercover Holygrace and Holygrapie are available in 50 ml Eau de Toilette, and can be found now for pre-order at Colette in Paris.

Check out those Barbie-Dream-House-retro bottles:

Default Re: Holygrace and Holygrapie by Comme des Garçons + Undercover

Undercover is an awesome, subversive and sexy Japanese clothing collection. These fragrances sound good and twisted. The soap and poison concept of Holygrace reminds me of our very own Dimitri's winning Basenotes fragrance brief. And I love having an alternative to Peitit Guerlain with Holygrapie, it's most welcome.
    Thanks for sharing this with us Mr. Mike.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 4th March 2010 at 03:57 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I was unaware of the Undercover line until I researched it. Pretty 'out there' stuff.

The whole idea of the 'Graces' seems like a combination of science ficiton comic books and Japanimation.

I hope these aren't as mundane as the notes make them sound.

I sampled these two yesterday at Colette. Loved Holygrace, smells like a Jicky re-mix. Indoles galore, or is it civet? This may be my Paris purchase.

Intriguing! With a name like "Holygrace" and a bottle that really does look like something out of a cathedral gift shop, I'd have never suspected and animal side.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I sampled these two yesterday at Colette. Loved Holygrace, smells like a Jicky re-mix. Indoles galore, or is it civet? This may be my Paris purchase.
    I was hoping you'd drop into Colette when you were in Paris - cool!

Thumbs up Re: Holygrace and Holygrapie by Comme des Garçons + Undercover

I just mine in the mail today from Colette. Great impulse buy. I love both of them, but HOLYGRAPIE slightly more than the other. But that may change as the day goes on.

I am just a fan of CdG, I had no background on Undercover, but I liked the idea of the lite notes for spring.

They have sorta on Etat Libre D'Orange vibe to them a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I hope these aren't as mundane as the notes make them sound.
    Holygrace is more mundane than described. I wore it today and won't be wearing it again. It just got plain funky in the drydown - as in what's that stench. Oh, it's me and that crappy Holygrace.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Holygrace is more mundane than described. I wore it today and won't be wearing it again. It just got plain funky in the drydown - as in what's that stench. Oh, it's me and that crappy Holygrace.
    LOL. Ginger can be tricky on my skin, wonder if that's it.

I can't wait to smell these. Hopefully Luckyscent will be getting these.

Holygrace I found very enjoyable. I see the Jicky comparison, though Holygrace is more modern, more floral, more "synthetic" and dirty in a weird way.

Mike - I think you'll like this one. Though it doesn't smell the same, it has the dirty-synthetic meets sweet and nice contast Guerilla 1 has.

Holygrapie I didn't find remarkable, though just what does its name mean...?

I looked online but couldn't find anything - I'm guessing it's made up. Something tells me it's supposed to be ha-LIG-ra-pee, but I can't help thinking "Holy grapie!" every time I see the name.

Sur la Plage

Holygrace I found very enjoyable. I see the Jicky comparison, though Holygrace is more modern, more floral, more "synthetic" and dirty in a weird way.

Mike - I think you'll like this one. Though it doesn't smell the same, it has the dirty-synthetic meets sweet and nice contast Guerilla 1 has.

I definitely liked Holygracie more than Holygrapie, but it wasn't something that wowed me and made me want to purchase it. I need to test it some more.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Sniffing these at Barneys yesterday, I thought the ginger one was interesting, and the other didn't make an impression at all.

The biggest impression was actually made by the gawdawful bottles. They look (intentionally, I'm sure) like some dumb little heart-shaped Barbie perfume bottle for 8-year-old girls. Sorry, but whether you get the irony or not, they still look terrible...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I'm with the majority of posters Holygrace is better than Holygrapie but neither is at the level that makes me want to buy them.
    If I want a fragrance inspired by the smell of babies I think I'll go for Le Labo's Ambrette 9 as that at least has more character than Holygrapie had.
    Holygrace's ginger is the best thing about it I just kept hoping for something more to happen. For the first time in a long time i'm not going to have to wrestle with my conscience over a new CdG fragrance.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Institution

Hloygrace smells like water and something animalic and musky (human skin). Nice and weird, like I like my CdG's. But there is NO way I'm getting a bottle of this at full price, it's going to have to be at a discount.