Code of Conduct

Default Freak 'em out: ask 'em what they're wearing

Speaking from my own experience as well as remembering the posts of members here, we can find it intimidating to ask a passer-by or other people we're around what scent they're wearing. It's scary--maybe they'll think we're hitting on them, and maybe we'll just look like a goof asking such a "flighty" question. So plenty of times we don't ask and don't find out.

Well I freaked out someone today by asking, and it was great. So there's a completely cool outcome that could be realized too: that you come off as the alpha dog!

At lunch hour I was in a very nice charity antique store with lots of jewelry. A very attractive middle aged woman came in, and everyone in the store was rather promptly made aware of her and her stories. She'd come back from the fashion week in New York where she'd worn jewelry from the store; everyone at fashion week had loved her jewelry. She was from Manhattan, we all over heard, and from the Upper East side. She groaned that "we're here for three years" though.

So everyone in the store heard about her. She passed by me twice and on the second pass I raised my voice and with no apology or introduction, went right for it: "May I ask what fragrance you're wearing?" She and everyone in the store seemed to come to a full stop and linger about what would happen next. She was entirely arrested by the question, and just stopped and looked at me in apprehension. It was a great pause. I'd knocked her off her game completely.

She: "Er, it's by a company called Creed..."
    I: "I'm familiar."
    She: "Oh, it's Silver Mountain Water."

It was powerful and pretty nice on her. As she made a purchase the volunteer sales person asked if she got her Creed at Neimans, as that was the only place the sales volunteer had been able to find it. "No, there's a Creed Boutique in Manhattan," was her reply.

I thought it was great and loved the big weirdness that my question had introduced.

So try it out--freak 'em out! Watch how the question makes the passer by completely caught off guard. Leave 'em knowing who the alpha fragrance dog is.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: Freak 'em out: ask 'em what they're wearing

I completely agree DustB!

From experience, complimenting a lady about her fragrance and then articulating about its notes is one of the great ice breakers... As long as you don't get too creepy about it and start sniffing up close
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

I honestly think that Dior Homme also has the powerful aura on Women, just not on me, ill stick to Vintage Antaeus
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Sounds fun DustB. Did you know it was SMW before you asked?

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Sounds fun DustB. Did you know it was SMW before you asked?
    Stylin, no, I didn't. It was one of those moments when you know the smell fits into the mass of smells you've smelled out of a bottle before, but I couldn't pin it down for sure.

It smelled very nice on her, and I told her so after she identified it too.

In truth SMW is one I kick myself for not picking out! Hahaha--joke's on me, hehe.

Jathanas, I couldn't agree with you more. When you ask someone and are able to talk about scent suddenly the whole conversation is on your plane and its very cool.

I'm guessing the woman was apprehensive because she'd assumed you'd never heard of Creed. If she were wearing something more mainstream like Tresor or Chanel #5, maybe she would have been less apprehensive about answering your question.

I remember a woman in a store asking me years ago what cologne I was wearing (I was wearing Aramis), and I got really apprehensive because she was standing like ten feet away from me when she asked, and that was the closest I'd stood to her. I could tell that was her nice way of telling me I was "Cologne Guy".

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I remember a woman in a store asking me years ago what cologne I was wearing (I was wearing Aramis), and I got really apprehensive because she was standing like ten feet away from me when she asked, and that was the closest I'd stood to her. I could tell that was her nice way of telling me I was "Cologne Guy".
    She was brutally subtle!

I could tell that was her nice way of telling me I was "Cologne Guy".
    And, like, that's a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    And, like, that's a bad thing?
    Not with Aramis for sure. The issue with that one would be if, like usual, it was making your chest hair grow through the spaces between your shirt's buttons.

I'm guessing the woman was apprehensive because she'd assumed you'd never heard of Creed. If she were wearing something more mainstream like Tresor or Chanel #5, maybe she would have been less apprehensive about answering your question.
    Entirely possible, and I'd say very probable. If so, she was probably instantly wondering how the conversation would go, if she had to explain a lot to this rube asking about her smell and likely only familiar with mass market labels. I imagine also that she was worried about whether she was flooding the room too. But either way, the whole issue put her off her game, if you'll allow me the phrase. It would be perfectly normal for her to have those reactions, but there's also the abnormality of the question being posed itself that probably put her off too. We all know it's a loaded question and he/she asked it doesn't necessarily know what the motivation is for the asking--it's odd and not standard blabber about "I like your handbag" or "fashion week must be very special."

It's a question, because it's about scent-in-life, I think, that makes everyone perk up somehow and wonder what's going on and what's going to happen next. I think it's a case of a scent question being different from many and most other questions. It's just a charged one in my, our, and many cultures. (Different in different places and with different people to be sure.)

Whatever her apprehension was, it all worked out to the same. It knocked her into a different self-consciousness and everyone who overheard it was thinking about it in some way too.

Heck, maybe I over dramatize.

But scent is different somehow, and the experience reminded me that it's a powerful thing to ask about.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Not with Aramis for sure. The issue with that one would be if, like usual, it was making your chest hair grow through the spaces between your shirt's buttons.
    Ha, very funny. Just kidding for bagging on my namesake. I love fragrance, but I sometimes live in mortal terror of being "the cologne guy." It's maybe not so bad if you're wearing a bold-and-proud-of-it scent. Mmmm. . . . Aramis. . . have to say, I kind of like it, but I tossed out a gift bottle several years ago, primarily on the basis of your spot-on comparison. Didn't want to be the cheesy guy in the polyester shirt, Mr. "what's your sign, baby?"

Perhaps that's too harsh regarding Aramis. That's more Polo. Ha.

Ok, back on topic: yes, I love asking women what fragrance they're wearing. If she's particularly good looking and I can't help myself, I get close in and take a little sniff of her forearm or, even better, her neck. It helps if both you and she have had a cocktail or two by then. Overall, this is a good way to get them to go home with you eventually. Start with the "irresistable scent." Works very well. Few women can resist a man noticing her hair, clothes, etc. Almost all of them work hard at these things; they appreciate the compliment. Fragrance especially hits home. And most good-looking women wear decent cologne. Let them know how much you appreciate it.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 4th March 2010 at 06:11 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I have occasionally been so overwhelmed by curiosity that I just had to ask someone what they were wearing. I've had quite a range of different responses, too, from "What's it to ya?" from a guy once who seemed suspicious of any man who would notice and care to ask, to women really thrilled that any man would notice and care to ask, and a lot of territory in between. The best answer I've ever had? "I'm sorry. We only give that information on a need-to-know basis." I wish I had thought of that one; I've got to use it sometime.

Truth to tell, when people ask me, I often have different responses, too. If I'm in a place where elegant scents are sold, and the person asking is also perusing the offerings, I'm pretty likely to answer very candidly and unselfconsciously. But other times, if a stranger asks me in the street or on public transit, or if a colleague at work I don't know very well asks, I try to second-guess the questioner. Is this person subtly trying to tell me I'm wearing too much (at work, for example)? Is this person trying to distract me while he picks my pocket (in the street, for instance)? Is this a kindred soul, a perfumer lover, genuinely expressing curiosity?

And then, if I do answer, there's the question of how much information is too much information. How little (or how much) can I get away with revealing? Sometimes I just say, "Oh, it's something French," (as if I couldn't remember the name of the scent, or of the perfumer, for that matter). Other times I say the name of the fragrance and see if there's any follow-up. Usually, there isn't. Sometimes, I get "Aha! I thought so, but I wasn't sure." This is a bit more interesting as a response. Maybe we do have a kindred soul here! Sometimes it's merely practical: "I like it. Do you know where I can find it?" or she'd like to get it for her hubby...

Is this a question people just think is too personal? Like asking what brand of underwear you're wearing (if any)?

Hmmm... Personal space issues. I wouldn't ask out of mere curiosity, but I would to tell you you're gassing me to death. So it runs, from people who wouldn't dream of prying to those who will aggressively tell you what behavior's appropriate for you.

And yet... if I wanted to know (and sometimes I do), I would ask (and sometimes I do), and if I do, I usually get a kind, or amused, or at least a civil answer.

Curiosity, as they say, killed the cat; but satisfaction brought him back!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 4th March 2010 at 06:47 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Nice post.

I actually find that people respond positively, usually, to such questions. Its like they are pleased that someone notices a scent they took time and consideration to wear. From the number of posts in the "Compliments" sticky one can safely say that compliments (and questions) are positively received - most times.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Basenotes Plus

I've asked a young woman in a queue about the fragrance she's wearing because I know I'd kick myself if I didn't, for it held me spellbound when I was in the store. She was kinda flattered that I noticed and felt compelled to ask her, a complete stranger. I'm still alive today so really, don't be afraid to ask.

Great story, DustB. I've definitely been in awkward situations asking questions before. I do think it's easier asking women what they're wearing. Guys usually freak out.

If I'm wearing something that's not really well known (e.g., Polo) and someone asks me what I'm wearing, I usually just tell them the name of the perfume house (e.g., "Oh, I'm wearing something by Givenchy"). If they're astute enough to follow up with, "Oh yeah? Which Givenchy cologne?", I'll tell them without hesitation.

Otherwise, unless I can sense the person is a perfume enthusiast, I usually get a little embarrassed, and I think something like, "Oh Christ, do I need to get into all this and tell her I'm wearing Mazzolari Lui by an Italian company called Mazzolari?"

DustB - Thnx for your post. your thoughts have motivated me to do the same.

btw, i envy your writing skills. i was almost there with ya in that store

Women liked to be asked, that is my experience. Remarks like "I like the scent you are wearing. Do I intrude if I ask you which parfum you are wearing?" causes a smile and laughter if the answer happens to be a non-expensive scent or a knock - off. This was the case the last time I asked, the answer being "You must be kidding! I don't even remember the name... does it smell nice? Wow, that is a surprise..."

I don't ask men, they don't like it. I think it is due to the fact that is a proof that they over-applied, this has bad connotations for it is considered unmanly.

Otherwise, unless I can sense the person is a perfume enthusiast, I usually get a little embarrassed, and I think something like, "Oh Christ, do I need to get into all this and tell her I'm wearing Mazzolari Lui by an Italian company called Mazzolari?"
    I think we are very much in agreement. When I'm asked what I'm wearing and I'm in some L'Artisan, Villoresi, Penhaligon's, or Diptyque, I dread making the answer. First, the answer is pronunciation heavy and that always leads to people feeling awkward (myself included--eventually you just have to write the name out). Second, I find that people, upon hearing the special, hard-to-find, pricey, or fancy scent and manufacturer, inevitably try to distance themselves from me by suggesting that nothing ordinary is good enough for me, and I feel like a victim of my own great smell.

So in situations like that, and like you with Mazzolari Lui, I sure agree about the apprehension and answering. "Creed" doesn't inherently give such difficulties.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I have no problem by asking anybody what they are wearing.
    And I have never gotten anything than a polite answer..!

When I ask about someone's perfume, the result can be a simple, honest answer to hostility (wanting the scent to be his/hers alone) or it's perceived as a pick-up line. LOL! My last compliment on my scent (Costamor's new Tabacca, a "women's" tobacco scent) was from a flustered, blushing male coworker...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc
    Same here, what's the big deal? Phrase it politely and with genuine interest and you probably won't offend anyone, or give off the wrong impression. If the scent really wows me, any potential awkwardness I might feel gets trampled by my curiosity - I can't not ask. I've discovered some of my favorite perfumes this way. (9 times out of 10, it's an oriental. I think I may have been a spice trader on the Silk Road in a past life.)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    plus 1

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    Same here, what's the big deal? Phrase it politely and with genuine interest and you probably won't offend anyone, or give off the wrong impression. If the scent really wows me, any potential awkwardness I might feel gets trampled by my curiosity - I can't not ask. I've discovered some of my favorite perfumes this way. (9 times out of 10, it's an oriental. I think I may have been a spice trader on the Silk Road in a past life.)
    I always ask politely and with genuine interest but the response really depends of the "social filter" of the person asked.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Nice story, Chris. I really like it when people are willing to admit that what we're doing--standing around with clothes on, saying stuff, hoping to be found attractive and interesting, intensely attuned to small social gestures, smelling each other--is actually intensely intimate. It's also, and for good reasons, protected with all these social devices for maintaining space. But I think that space makes us lonely far more often than it keeps us safe. Plus, I often wonder what people are wearing, and would like to ask. So maybe I will more often.

Basenotes Institution

Great post DustB.

I, like many above, have no problem with asking men or women what fragrance they're wearing - if what they're wearing intrigues me (which is, honestly here in Miami, very rarely). I have never had someone react negatively to my inquiry.

The only times I do not ask, is a few times I've helped my friend (who is a caterer) work an event and while serving food (as a server and/or bartender) I have come up upon women who are smelling just fantastic. Lot's of older women wear fragrances with such aplomb, IMO. Usually it's something silky and wildly feminine that I love to smell but rarely wear (Estee Lauder's fragrances usually fall into this category). I sometimes want to ask them so bad, that I have to force myself not to - I think in that type of atmosphere, the customers attending the event don't want to interact on such a social level with the 'help'. Nonetheless, during many events, part of the fun for me is playing 'detective' and seeing if I can figure out everyone else's fragrances. I remember one event where this very cute gay couple was sitting at one of my tables, and the younger guy smelled so good and I knew for sure he was wearing Black Orchid. I kept going back to his table a lot, just to make sure everything was ok and to smell his sillage. Silly, but true.

And maybe I'm in the minority here, living in Miami, but usually the ONLY people who ask me (and comment about) my fragrances are OTHER GUYS. I'm serious. The guy at the checkout line at a fast food Mediterranean place and another cashier at Chipotle last week. My boss (he's always asking me!). My accountant. I think you guys are underestimating how many guys (gay, straight, confused) are interested in scents. Or maybe I'm just lucky, living where I live?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Thankfully you couldn't immediately put the name to the scent Chris. If you had told her what fragrance and maker she was wearing she would still be in emergency therapy session tonight.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I have a client from a Royal Saudi family and she always smells so fantastic, I could always identify the rose and oud notes on her, but wondered whether she wore a branded product. With a little trepidation, I once asked her what her fragrance was. She told me that her sister is the family attar maker. I found this to be quite a fascinating concept, an in-house, family member, bespoke perfumer. We all should be so lucky.
    So yes, DustB, I totally agree with you that it's certainly worth asking people what they are wearing, as you never know what answer you'll get. I got a nice, small lesson in Arabic domestic culture.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th March 2010 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Thankfully you couldn't immediately put the name to the scent Chris. If you had told her what fragrance and maker she was wearing she would still be in emergency therapy session tonight.
    This one made my night.

Thanks for all the fun comments, everyone.

Blog Entries

I don't encounter many wearing fragrances, but when I do I usually ask. Most of the time it is a polite response.

I did ask our Human Resources rep at work one day what she was wearing. I had a meeting with her, a pretty attractive older-than-me woman, and I really liked her scent. I was a bit nervous about asking, afraid she'd question my motives, and her being in HR and all. But I went for it anyway. I think it did surprise her to be asked, and she just said she'd have to check the bottle when she got home and tell me the next day. She never did, and I didn't ask again. Oh well.

Another time I asked another male coworker (and also a pretty close friend) what he was wearing. It really embarrassed him for some reason, and he claimed it was just a new deodorant. I know it wasn't just deodorant, but he never told me either.

I think you are right DustB, fragrance is different.

I've certainly enjoyed reading this tread. Silver Mountain Water ? She has good taste. A always felt women were less inclined to wear a guys fragrance. I'm not a big fan of Creed, but Silver Mountain Water is very good.

And now, I do want to ask people what they are wearing.....but I just cannot SMELL anything one them. Maybe some shampoo ? I think I once smelled fried chicken on a few passer's by. Seriously though, I never smell fragrance during the daytime. One of these days, a van will stop beside me, and 4 men will get out and beat me to a bloody pulp for wearing a fragrance during the daytime.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I've certainly enjoyed reading this tread. Silver Mountain Water ? She has good taste. A always felt women were less inclined to wear a guys fragrance. I'm not a big fan of Creed, but Silver Mountain Water is very good.

And now, I do want to ask people what they are wearing.....but I just cannot SMELL anything one them. Maybe some shampoo ? I think I once smelled fried chicken on a few passer's by. Seriously though, I never smell fragrance during the daytime. One of these days, a van will stop beside me, and 4 men will get out and beat me to a bloody pulp for wearing a fragrance during the daytime.
    In my area I never smell fragrances during the daytime either except on girls. Which I like because that means I can get away with wearing the so called more popular ones if I choose to. Then again I only get close to girls so maybe that is the reason, cause I do come across ladies wearing fragrances, which isn't surprising.

I sometimes get uncomfortable when people ask me what I'm wearing for cologne (doesn't happen often), but I don't have any hang-ups about asking someone else, a guy or a woman, what they're wearing. I just don't get many opportunities because where I live people rarely wear perfumes.

Late last week a sales clerk in the Menswear section at a local department store was wearing a perfume I recognised but couldnt quite put my finger on. I saw it as a challenge but still hadnt guessed it by the time she was bagging my purchase. I ended up relenting and asking her "what perfume are you wearing?"... she then swung into this lengthy exposition about how she never likes to reveal her perfume, and that some things should stay a mystery. It peeved me a little (I was rolling my eyes behind my closed lids)... but as she handed me the bag I suddenly got it, and said "AH! Its Dune by Dior".
    Her face dropped. LOL!
    I just took my purchase, shot her a knowing wink and turned on my heel. I actually chuckled aloud to myself as I reached the escalators.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Late last week a sales clerk in the Menswear section at a local department store was wearing a perfume I recognised but couldnt quite put my finger on. I saw it as a challenge but still hadnt guessed it by the time she was bagging my purchase. I ended up relenting and asking her "what perfume are you wearing?"... she then swung into this lengthy exposition about how she never likes to reveal her perfume, and that some things should stay a mystery. It peeved me a little (I was rolling my eyes behind my closed lids)... but as she handed me the bag I suddenly got it, and said "AH! Its Dune by Dior".
    Her face dropped. LOL!
    I just took my purchase, shot her a knowing wink and turned on my heel. I actually chuckled aloud to myself as I reached the escalators.
    LOL now THAT was smooth, awesome story!

Quote Originally Posted by thgolfer View Post
    I don't encounter many wearing fragrances, but when I do I usually ask. Most of the time it is a polite response.

I did ask our Human Resources rep at work one day what she was wearing. I had a meeting with her, a pretty attractive older-than-me woman, and I really liked her scent. I was a bit nervous about asking, afraid she'd question my motives, and her being in HR and all. But I went for it anyway. I think it did surprise her to be asked, and she just said she'd have to check the bottle when she got home and tell me the next day. She never did, and I didn't ask again. Oh well.

Another time I asked another male coworker (and also a pretty close friend) what he was wearing. It really embarrassed him for some reason, and he claimed it was just a new deodorant. I know it wasn't just deodorant, but he never told me either.

I think you are right DustB, fragrance is different.
    Is it possible to not know what fragrance you wear? Do you think she forgot to tell you,I don't think that.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Not once, not even a single time in the 3+ years of near daily frag wearing has a single soul asked me what I was wearing. Only one two word compliment " Nice smell" given in that time as I recall but I cannot remember what fragrance I was wearing at the time. Interesting the lack of interest and/or critical smellers, as I have worn two different frags daily and probably 275 different scents in that period of some 1200 days and almost every day been close to at least dozens of different folks. Not a problem though--more of a curiosity in my mind--as I wear frags for my own enjoyment.
    Last edited by kbe; 5th March 2010 at 08:55 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Complimenting someone on their appearance is such a no go except with friends, and it's too bad. No matter who you are, it appears to be flirtation or flattery. Some people have great looks, great fashion sense, or just a certain sense of dignity and poise that makes you want to tell them they look great. It has nothing to do with sex, but in my culture, it's just not acceptable.

It's a similar issue with fragrance. If I smell a great fragrance on a woman, at most it means I think she has great taste and I'd like to know its name - nothing more. But, how can I explain that without the explanation coming across as even weirder than the compliment?

"You smell great! I'd really like to know what you're wearing, and not have sex you."

Her face dropped. LOL!
    Now this is a story I'll remember a long time. What a great board when you can read stuff like this.

Her face dropped. LOL!
    Maybe she thought you were hitting on her and was just playing "hard to get".

She took my advice about women smelling amazing when they wear SMW. It really smells sexy on the female of the species.
    Last edited by adonis; 6th March 2010 at 10:13 AM.

Maybe she thought you were hitting on her and was just playing "hard to get".
    Hmmm... its highly unlikely, as she was in her early 50s. I'm way out of her league! lol!