Code of Conduct

Default ive got 15 frags in my online shopping cart, so tempted to buy?

so im on fragranceshop.com and have 15 frags in my shopping cart and i really want to buy them! damn it! im getting the urge to click that "place order" button but need to resist. i can afford it but im trying to save for a house next year so every little helps. trying to save 1k a month and i can easily use that for frags but nah....

anyone else ever been in this spot before? when you had frags all lined up in your shopping cart but knew it wasnt the smart thing to do?

Default Re: ive got 15 frags in my online shopping cart, so tempted to buy?

Empty the cart, my friend.

Or just pick one favorite.

Unless that site is disreputable, in which case ... empty the cart.
    Last edited by actiasluna; 4th March 2010 at 04:24 AM.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Don't be a wimp! DO IT!

Dependent

I've learned to spread out my purchases, it helps. I don't bother about the more economical sense of multiple items per shipping. Having a nice home you have planned to move into, is more important than smelling nice, IMO.
    Last edited by MFJ; 4th March 2010 at 05:25 AM.

I try to do it by seasons. Unless something is reduced, if I know I'm not really going to get much wear out of it since spring/summer is (hopefully) fast approaching then I pass and try to save my money.

Sur la Plage

Do it!

Last edited by petruccijc; 4th March 2010 at 04:47 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Not in any of the shopping carts, but hardly-avoiding the turn in to the perfume shops when i pass by.

Me too, having some targets to archive which mostly involves 'money' to do-all, this year and next year..

15 is a bit of overkill, how about getting samples of all of them from Luckyscent or The Perfumed Court & then deciding which ones you love?
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

ill check out luckyscent, but perfume court is freakin expensive. besides mosy of the frags i want are cheapies(under 30 bucks).

Basenotes Plus

LOL, I've been there! Most of the time I'd review the list and whittle it down to my absolute favorite/obsession. The following weeks, I'd be repeating this process until I'm left with one of two I can't seem to do without. That's when I pull the trigger.

Re: cheapies. You might actually end up with a much more expensive purchase if some of these cheapies turn out to be something you won't want to wear. Sampling is the sensible option here. But if you love the thrill of buying blind, just get a couple of them. And like Matt suggested, spread the rest out over the year.

I'm curious, mind sharing with us the names of these 15 on your list?

Quote Originally Posted by Armor King View Post
    ill check out luckyscent, but perfume court is freakin expensive. besides mosy of the frags i want are cheapies(under 30 bucks).
    Scented monkey has samples of just about any mainstream designer fragrance you'd ever want to try.

That's a weird website check out their prices for GIT

http://fragranceshop.com/discount-pe...ray-40-oz.html

A 4oz is $112.95 which is cheaper than most testers online, it's either ancient or fake?

15 fragrances at once is a bit daunting, no? You're a brave soul.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 4th March 2010 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Empty the cart, my friend.

Or just pick one favorite.

Unless that site is disreputable, in which case ... empty the cart.
    +1 this.

Basenotes Plus

15 bottles, none on sale??
    and you want to buy a house?

IMO- DON"T do it.
    Get used to not having disposable income NOW before you buy the house because once you close escrow everything will go into the house.
    Even if you really want to splurge before buying a home; at $25 a pop, the chances of adoring more than 50% of them is small- which means that you could have bought one awesome frag and some cheapies.

Edited to add: I think the fact that you even posted the question is showing that you know it's not in your best interest to hit submit
    Last edited by knit at nite; 4th March 2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: adding

Quote Originally Posted by Metalica77 View Post
    That's a weird website check out their prices for GIT

http://fragranceshop.com/discount-pe...ray-40-oz.html

A 4oz is $112.95 which is cheaper than most testers online, it's either ancient or fake?

its legit, ive bought from them before. some of the ones im eyeing:

armani code
    fahrenheight
    paco rabanne xs pour homme
    joop
    GIT
    millesime imperial
    un jardin sur de nil
    jazz
    opium
    tommy(to remind me of the high school days)
    bulgari aqua
    chanel allure sport
    zino davidoff
    and a few others...

and its actually a condo not really a house. trying to get to 20k for a downpayment by next year. i have 6k now+3k in bonus+income taxes coming in march. to to mention the 12k i will have by dec saved ill have 22k by jan 2011. also my mortage will actually be lower then what im paying in rent now.

so what's a measly 600-700 dollars right? RIGHT!?

I would not do it
    used bottles are so hard to sell, I wish I never bought blind
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    I would not do it
    used bottles are so hard to sell, I wish I never bought blind

but they are easy to decant for swaps as i have recently just started doing!

Most of those would be easy to swap if you don't like them.

Prioritize.

if only the bottles were brick shaped .. oh well I can only advise you to empty the cart my friend...
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

I would buy 20%, or three of them. Pick out your favorite 3, and go for it. At least you'll feel good about getting 3 at the standard shipping rate. If you really want all of them, then buy three more from them every other month and you'll have all of them a year from now (you will probably change your mind on a few of them over the year from sampling, finding others you want more, etc.). A lot would depend on how much you spend on other 'fluff'/entertainment items, such as dining out and CDs/DVDs. If fragrance is your only vice, you can figure out how much you can safely spend. Enjoy!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

anyone else ever been in this spot before? when you had frags all lined up in your shopping cart but knew it wasnt the smart thing to do?
    ...oh yeah. I have dumped scores of shopping carted frags from dozens of online sites when common sense finally won out. But , oh the thrill of toying with the 'send' key...
    Last edited by kbe; 4th March 2010 at 12:36 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

If you know that you're saving for something, buy 1 or 2 and let go of the rest. You can buy it later when you've settled nicely. Fragrances are not going to go anywhere.

I've (on several occasions) spent hours carefully selecting 5 or 6 frags. Narrowing it down, considering the pros-and-cons, reading reviews, considering what spots I need to fill in my wardrobe, etc... . After hours, when I've selected the "perfect cart," better minds prevail and I dump the whole thing. I've also fallen prey and hit the "submit" button a time or two. I usually don't regret [I]not[I] hitting the submit button - but there have been times when I definitely regretted hitting the submit button. Bottom line - dump the cart. Maybe buy 1 or 2, but 15? You'll regret it. Especially a year on down the road when a pipe bursts and you're left kicking yourself because that $600-700 sure will come in handy. Anyway, your call - I'd dump it, though. Cheers.

There's no way you will like them all. Plus, it's more fulfilling to get one or two at a time, and thoroughly analyze those, than to suddenly have 15 more bottles. None of them would really be special.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

if you can afford it and there is nothing more important on line go for it , the most that I bought at once was 4 fragrances. I think the chase is as much as fun as the purchase , if I were you I would do it gradually. Like one per week or something in those lines.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

You dont actually sound like you need advice or talking out of it - I think you're more looking for someone to approve it!

And that aint gonna be me. Don't do it!

I wouldnt buy 15 fragrances at once even if I had milion dollars to spent on fragrances . (ok maybe then I would ). As many people above me posted, just pick few that you love most and know you will use on daily/weekly basis. You will enjoy them much more.

Pick three from this list. I imagine many of these would be redundant, and several would quickly be relegated to the back of the shelf or on your swap list.

-Slim

armani code
    fahrenheight
    joop
    GIT
    millesime imperial
    un jardin sur de nil
    jazz
    opium
    bulgari aqua
    chanel allure sport
    zino davidoff
    and a few others...

and its actually a condo not really a house. trying to get to 20k for a downpayment by next year. i have 6k now+3k in bonus+income taxes coming in march. to to mention the 12k i will have by dec saved ill have 22k by jan 2011. also my mortage will actually be lower then what im paying in rent now.

Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Said exactly like Palpatine said it to Anakin,
    when he should kill Count Dooku ... 'Do it!'

The buying blind part, or the number you've picked, would not and does not bother me in the least - it's how I do at least 75% of my buys. What bothers me most is the home buying part - it may not seem like it now, but EVERY single penny you can possibly put down now for a deposit you will be grateful of in the long run. I'm sure just about every home owning BNer, including me, could have put an extra couple of thousand on top of what they put down for a deposit had they not spent so much on stuff they didn't need (not just frags), and would do if they had the chance to go back now and do so. But that would require some form of time and hindsight machine.
    Last edited by great_badir; 4th March 2010 at 09:53 PM.

Buy it says I!

A new Maz24 in the making? I'd just kop the GIT and Opium, the rest can wait. Hopefully the website isn't a scam.
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.

Those fragrances aren't going anywhere and you've already got a big wardrobe going. You probably wouldn't be able to wear them all for the next couple of months unless you totally focus on wearing the new ones. But then you'd be neglecting some of your current faves among already owned frags.

Cut it down to two or three you feel strongest about. Keep your eyes on the prize. I'm in no position to urge restraint, but I tend to buy one at a time spread out over time. I'd hate to see you set up your own precedent to always buy in large batches.

And be careful with that $115 GIT...that seems quite odd.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 5th March 2010 at 05:09 AM.

Never bank on money you have not got in the bank yet. Dump the cart.

Fat lot of good that'll do if you are addicted as I am!

(but it could help.)

22+ frags purchased since Dec. 09 and a vow to stop followed by a purchase of something outrageously expensive (not for the volume though, which was how I "rationalized" the expense.) BUT I tested it first.

Dump the cart, buy after testing, would be my advice.
    Last edited by actiasluna; 5th March 2010 at 05:22 AM.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore

Anyone else ever been in this spot before? when you had frags all lined up in your shopping cart but knew it wasnt the smart thing to do?
    Read your last statement a few times and 90% of these posts. It's not even about the money, just be selective and make good choices on your fragrances and your home that suits you.

don't do it. it's not worth it

so i thought better of it and payed off all my credit cards(all $1500 of it). as much as i would have enjoyed the frags i probably would have had regrets about running up my credit bills even more.

so i thought better of it and payed off all my credit cards(all $1500 of it). as much as i would have enjoyed the frags i probably would have had regrets about running up my credit bills even more.
    Smart man! You smell great anyway!

Good for you Armor King! (I bought my own home last summer and now am "investing" in scent. First things first!)

armani code
    fahrenheight
    joop
    GIT
    millesime imperial
    un jardin sur de nil
    jazz
    opium
    bulgari aqua
    chanel allure sport
    zino davidoff
    and a few others...

Really not worth even to mention to own those fragrances. The chance to smell them on anybody else riding the bus is pretty high. Just guess what. Would You really grab the money to even buy samples of it? 3$$ each max! Joop Opium XS, You're kidding! You personally won't ever wear that sub-mediocre stuff, I'm sure.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by merry.waters View Post
    Really not worth even to mention to own those fragrances. The chance to smell them on anybody else riding the bus is pretty high. Just guess what. Would You really grab the money to even buy samples of it? 3$$ each max! Joop Opium XS, You're kidding! You personally won't ever wear that sub-mediocre stuff, I'm sure.
    But he should get the Creeds because Creed is the best!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

A TERRIFIC OUTCOME!!

accompanied by the sound of tumultuous APPLAUSE

Well done Armor King - the long-term feeling clearing a debt like that in one fell swoop forever will always be a warm one whenever you think of it, unlike those frags you would otherwise have bought.
    Last edited by great_badir; 6th March 2010 at 11:10 PM.

even if my thoughts on this matter are neither useful nor productive, my humble and honest opinion is: purchase 1,5 or 150, as long as it makes you happy, I mean life is too short to let so many great (in terms of more than just price) fragrance deals pass us by
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 6th March 2010 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    even if my thoughts on this matter are neither useful nor productive, my humble and honest opinion is: purchase 1,5 or 150, as long as it makes you happy, I mean life is tio short to let so many great (in terms of more than just price) fragrance deals pass us by
    I don't think any of us would disagree with that. But when you're on the first step with things like buying a home, the sensible and moral viewpoint is often the best one. At least, that is, until things have settled down and there's some disposable income to have some fun with!

ahh screw it i bought some stuff. not as much but still...oh well...whats done is done right? LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Armor King; 15th March 2010 at 11:51 PM.

ahh screw it i bought some stuff. not as much but still...oh well...whats done is done right? LOL
    That's why I rarely give people advice. They always end up doing what they wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    That's why I rarely give people advice. They always end up doing what they wanted.
    If they ask, I give, then release them to their own devizes. (a la this example. 9 out of 15... some restraint perhaps was exercised.)

:-)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 16th March 2010 at 12:32 AM.

Blog Entries

Congrats on your purchases Armor King. Hope you enjoy them. My decant purchase arrived in the mail today, and I'm excited about them too.

Hey man i've never heard of that website, pretty cheap frags on their. Hows the juice? Fresh? also how long did it take?
    Check out my YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JRWRlTER

Quote Originally Posted by thierry mugler View Post
    Hey man i've never heard of that website, pretty cheap frags on their. Hows the juice? Fresh? also how long did it take?

its my favorite site for frags....i dont know how they do it but thier prices are dirt cheap..alot of them beat ebay prices...it took me 7 days from the order date to get them with free shipping since im in LA. it wont take long for you since they are based in NJ just like fragrancenet. i actually ordered git, code and zino from fragrancenet the same day(since the other site didnt have them). both orders came on the same day. the only downside of the site is the selection is not nearly as good as fragrancenet but thier prices are way better even with the 15% off coupon you get from fragrancenet. check them out...

no problems with my creed juice at all, they were all made in 09.
    Last edited by Armor King; 16th March 2010 at 05:38 AM.