Code of Conduct

Default Help! Looking for something similar to Eternity..

Hey guys, I love the smell of Eternity, but the longevity is horrible, sillage sucks (as with most CK frags) and it's a little bit too light in general. I'd buy it if it was like 75+% off basically.

That been said. Eternity is a very basic frag, nothing special.. not much of a transition in notes, but I just find the scent very very pleasant. Great everyday scent, any time of year. I'm looking for something that goes on a little a stronger, has better sillage, and lasts longer, but most importantly smells like Eternity.

Please give your input, let me know. I know my frags pretty well, but when you talk aboout something like Eternity.. (late 80's) you're talking about a time when frags were much more basic. You had your Drakkar Noir's, your Grey Flannel's, and Cool Water was just getting started. Even Cool Water is more a basic fragrance, it doesn't change dramatically during it's life on your skin.

I do love the newer stuff out, but sometimes I just want something basic..something that I can pick when I'm in a bind and don't know what I want to wear, something for any occasion. Eternity appeals to me scent wise, but lacks a lot. Help me out guys

I appreciate any feedback, I'll comment back soon. Thanks!!
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 4th March 2010 at 11:49 AM.

Default Re: Help! Looking for something similar to Eternity..

You should try Aqua Quorum, it is a good frarance and slightly reminds me of Eternity, besides it is sold very cheaply, so you won't lose a lot. A 50 ml. bottle is like 8-10 $

Have you tried Chanel's Platinum Egoiste and Paco Rabanne's XS pour Homme?

Platinum Egoļste by Chanel

Dependent

+1 Aqua Quorum, it's like Cool Water meets Eternity.
    +1 XS Pour Homme, less green, slightly earthier with some berries or fruit notes thrown in.

In fact Eternity, XS, AQ, Platinum Egoiste all have a similar aromatic accord. I can't identify it, but it is there.
    Last edited by MFJ; 4th March 2010 at 03:33 PM.

I like opening of Platinum Egoiste that may be similiar to Eternity but then it became too sour and more citrusy rather than green on my skin.

Def try the Platinum Egoiste, you wont be dissapointed

Thanks guys, it's really helpful when the feedback isn't all over the place..it's pretty basic here.. helps a lot.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 5th March 2010 at 12:28 AM.

Joop! Nightflight is one I find very similar. In fact, when I was looking for alternatives to Nightflight, Eternity was probably the closest. Also, Claiborne Sport is VERY similar - it basically smells like Eternity layered with Cool Water, but with crazy longevity (despite being an EdC)

I also agree with the suggestions of Platinum Egoiste and XS. Have you tried Green Irish Tweed? Similar to Cool Water but a bit soapier, worth getting a sample vial or two of as a comparison in my opinion.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Blog Entries

+1 on Paco XS. I used to wear Eternity all the time in college. XS is similar, but not the same. I like it much more than I ever did Eternity

The best "super cheapo" version is Carlo Corinto Rouge. If that doesn't last on you, I can't imagine any frag lasting on you! The other possibility is Le Roy Soleil by Dali, which I think is a better frag (in other words, they are a little different), and lasts forever (though this combination of notes is not for me).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 5th March 2010 at 03:57 AM.

Epic Man?? Love the initial blast, less crazy about the heart, but dries to a white musk. I still prefer Eternity though.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Hey guys, I love the smell of Eternity
    ...you really need help...on Fragrantica Eternity for Men is compared with Wings for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills, Reebok Men Recharge by Reebok, and Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret...so try one of these...!

Slightly off - topic, but I bought a bottle of Eternity recently and it's ultra strong with ballistic projection. It's even stronger than I remembered in the eighties which is quite surprising given that people say it's not the same. Others around me also remarked that it was strong stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Slightly off - topic, but I bought a bottle of Eternity recently and it's ultra strong with ballistic projection. It's even stronger than I remembered in the eighties which is quite surprising given that people say it's not the same. Others around me also remarked that it was strong stuff.
    I experienced something similar when I bought a cheap bottle of Escape to take me back to my school daze. Even with 3 sprays this stuff was nuclear and I remember I used to douse myself liberally with it back then so who knows how many noses I tickled that lived miles away?

Frags were a lot more in your face then, not so much projection and longevity monsters just staight brashness in liquid form.

Aqua Quorum +3 (it is indeed a mix of Cool Water, Eternity and a little of Polo Sport). They sell this for €12 / 100ml.
    Paco XS +2

Both are better imo than Eternity which latest version indeed does not last at all!
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Jacques Bogart: Bogart Pour Homme (2004)
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Damn.. when these old threads get bumped..

Eternity sucks!
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Eternity sucks!
    Not a fan of this either.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Eternity is one of those cheerfully modern, unabashed synthetics (even though it's been around for an eternity now). It's great. I could compare it to Mugler cologne - another example of a modern, unabashed synthetic, albeit different flavour - but people here WOULD BE OUTRAGED.

It's great stuff!

Eternity sucks!
    lol. Did you find an alternative or are you a BN sophisticate now :-)