Code of Conduct

Default Too many redundant threads

With the deluge of new members recently there have been many identical or very similar posts, sometimes just days after someone posted the same thing. It's clear that many of the new posters aren't reading very far back in the threads or using the search function. There's been an awful lot of redundancy on the MFD board lately. We need a way to get more people looking deeper into the threads or searching before posting the same questions over and over.

Is there a way to have a "Sorry, thread title already exists" feature which prohibits posting?

I'm kidding with that, but only partially. What is the best way for us to get people to do at least a little reading or searching before posting a thread that has been posted umpteen times before?

Basenotes training school? MFD boot camp?

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 4th March 2010 at 05:19 PM.

Default Re: Too many redundant threads

You could report the post and suggest it be moved to Just Starting Out or merged with an existing thread.

Do you mind if we do that? When you go to report a post it says:

"Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post

"Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts."
    I'm in the same boat, particularly as a former moderator. The mods right now should be more than able to move at least the stuff on page 1, and threads can be moved en masse just like multiple posts can be deleted at once.

To answer the original question, such a thing could be done, but involves quite a bit of work and in my experience the threads get posted anyway. Grant's got a lot of stuff on his plate right now, between the Basenotes fragrance, Excense, and some other future events, and I don't know where redirecting new members fits in the priority system (I imagine quite low.)
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I've occasionally given a brief/vague answer and then told the person to try doing a search but apparently i'm a "control freak".

Everyone's so worried about stepping on eggshells. The new poster gets ignored because veterans couldn't be bothered to answer and the newbie doesn't get their answer and don't know why either. I'm all for a little more tolerance for people saying "go do a search" or "look at this thread".

do we have a "please read before posting" thread pinned? with instructions for "do a search"
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I personally, don't mind, but I can only speak for myself. I think reporting a post that would be better placed in Just Starting Out, or combined with an existing, fairly recent, thread falls under the category of problematic. Sometimes moderators don't have time to look at everything, but we usually make the effort to see what's been reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I've occasionally given a brief/vague answer and then told the person to try doing a search but apparently i'm a "control freak".

Everyone's so worried about stepping on eggshells. The new poster gets ignored because veterans couldn't be bothered to answer and the newbie doesn't get their answer and don't know why either. I'm all for a little more tolerance for people saying "go do a search" or "look at this thread".

do we have a "please read before posting" thread pinned? with instructions for "do a search"
    The rules and guidelines are here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/content/92-...ct-for-Members
    The guidelines cover much of what seems to be concerning to many recently.
    The nuts and bolts of how to use the search engine isn't pinned, as far as I know, but letting people know where it is, with an offer to give more help in it's use if needed, would seem a friendly thing for a more experienced member to do.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 5th March 2010 at 10:30 PM.

Not in agreement here. The group of media known as social media is rapidly evolving. It's not quite right to steer the users of these media channels into set rules (. . . to a point, of course. This site is not about, um, adult content, for example.) The nature of social media is intimately tied to innovation, flexibility, and accepting the way users of the medium use it.

Otherwise, you might as well be the ye olde-fashioned media police at some big dinosaur media organization (too nice to name names here).

If the site is finding that new threads are repeatedly started about subjects already covered, so be it. That's the natural function of the site. Don't fight it.

Besides, who's to say "We've already said this once. Don't say it again"? I like fresh takes on an old subject, and if I really want the history, I know enough to search for the history.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 5th March 2010 at 11:17 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I love Basenotes! When I read Master -Classter's comment "The new poster gets ignored because veterans couldn't be bothered to answer and the newbie doesn't get their answer and don't know why either", I concurred and that situation is not good for the site.
    I've only been a BN member 6 months but I still find the site sometimes tricky to navigate. IMO the site guidelines need to be more prominently featured at log-in. That could possible alleviate some of the issues. Heck I've done searches, found nothing- posted a new thread and still got nothing. That is frustrating.

I belong to the fiber arts community Ravelry.com which has 663,200 registered members wordwide and I found it much easier to find my way around there, even with the size. Ravelry has features that specifically help newbies find their way around- screen shot tour of the features, & there's a wiki on how to get around the site., and many more mods.
    That does not mean that duplicate threads are elimated entirely- they do pop up, and can be moved into other existing threads. And IMO- the reaction when someone starts a somewhat redundant thread seems to stay calmer- (especially based on reading some of the comments in the men's forums when that happens. Some of you can sure be strident and intolerant to the newbies at times. I've seen comments like: your opinion on this scent doesn't count because you don't have enough posts. (HUH)

Of course, this is just my opinion- for what it's worth.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 6th March 2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: typo

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I like fresh takes on an old subject, and if I really want the history, I know enough to search for the history.
    A valid point. Info in the older thread could be outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    I've seen comments like: your opinion on this scent doesn't count because you don't have enough posts. (HUH)
    Yikes! I've been around here a couple years and I can honestly say i've never seen this personally. Some members can be a bit short or snooty with amateurs but I can't believe that anyone here would be this rude.

I like your idea of providing more basic information to newbies and with far more accessability than we currently have (where is permanent link to that code of conduct, for example. Thanks for posting that here.). As a relatively new member what do you think would have helped you when you joined? I've been through too many redesigns to have an objective view.

mrcologneguy: I couldn't disagree with your disagreement more. Basenotes is a community of like minded individuals sharing thoughts on a specific topic. The community has every right to guide new members in the ways of the community, including moving or merging highly redundant posts. You may view it as policing but I hardly think such a negative connotation applies to what a moderator does: moderate the discussions. Their work is necessary to promote organization essential to everyones enjoyment of the community. This threads' existence is an expression of some members beliefs that the community ought to be more rigerously moderated to maintain their own level of enjoyment. I agree with knit_at_nite to the extent that overall frustration with less knowledgeable members has grown in the recent past.

The actions of the moderation team have a great influence on the direction of the community as it grows and evolves. Perhaps the increased membership coupled with relaxed moderation response (by no means am I trying to denigrate the mod team here, they do a great job) have contributed to the growing overall impatience. I sometimes think to myself "that should be in off topic" or "that topic was just posted a couple days ago" and if I were a mod I would move/merge these threads, but of course I cannot do that. I appreciate socalwoman's offer to accept input of this nature. If members have a easy way to offer their suggestions to the mod team regarding redundant or mis-categorized posts, and mod actions increase as a result, maybe some of these frustrations can be alleviated.

Of course this introduces another question, that being should mods be a tool of the community or an independent force closely aligned with the community owners and leaders? They're not elected to their positions so should act independently of the whims of the community, but should listen to feedback so their actions can evolve as the community evolves in order to maintain the strong symbiotic relationship necessary for a healthy community.

Anyway, back on topic. The mods and what they do are essentially important to the community. I fear for what Basenotes would become without their thankless work. That said, I think there is a growing trend that is not good for the community. Can the mods fix this alone? Hardly, but maybe they can help. Ultimately I think it would be good for everyone to have a bit more patience with new members. Also, it's a great idea for the community to provide their ideas and feedback regarding their own perceived moderation needs. I'd love to hear how other mods feel about this.

One idea might be to pin a big FAQ thread, that basically groups together a bunch of similar questions with links to those threads. then someone can jsut say, check the FAQ it's in there. So maybe the topic is "recomend me an aquatic", then there's a list of 5-10 larger threads and their titles. That way the member can read and read, and if they want to ask something new they can still dredge up an old thread anyway, but then people will go back through and reread the whole thread before coming to that question so we don't all keep going round in circles.

True, new threads even on "old" topics often do spark new discussion. I do agree, but I think with influx of new members and relatively relaxed mods, acceptance of this type of "direction" by regular members will actually take a lot of pressure off of the mods. with links and referrals to older thread, newbies will read through old discussions with may address many questions they had or sort of give them the general concensus on an issue. Not to promote groupthink, but sometimes a new member is sooo new they don't even know where to start and I have trouble even responding to the question.

I do also think that an added "alert" button, more related to things like "this thread should be moved" instead of "it's spam" might be useful.

FYI - I'm no veteran, I've only been here like 6+ months myself, but I have been on other boards for years. many of them are generally younger members and mods and they're much nastier and police heavily. I wouldn't suggest that though, but I'm just mentioning this board is quite "hand's off".
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I've previously suggested an approach to current problems:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/243...arch-functions

And some have already tried the friendly approach.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/244...orum-etiquette

I have my own view, detailed in that thread.

Basenotes Plus

DocmanCC, the thread I saw that comment in does exist! I could not make up stuff like that......Your question what would have made it easier? I think just to have a help or a rules section be very prominantly placed on the home page so it's highly visible and easy to find would be great.

Yikes! I've been around here a couple years and I can honestly say i've never seen this personally. Some members can be a bit short or snooty with amateurs but I can't believe that anyone here would be this rude.

I like your idea of providing more basic information to newbies and with far more accessability than we currently have (where is permanent link to that code of conduct, for example. Thanks for posting that here.). As a relatively new member what do you think would have helped you when you joined? I've been through too many redesigns to have an objective view.

mrcologneguy: I couldn't disagree with your disagreement more. Basenotes is a community of like minded individuals sharing thoughts on a specific topic. The community has every right to guide new members in the ways of the community, including moving or merging highly redundant posts. You may view it as policing but I hardly think such a negative connotation applies to what a moderator does: moderate the discussions. Their work is necessary to promote organization essential to everyones enjoyment of the community. This threads' existence is an expression of some members beliefs that the community ought to be more rigerously moderated to maintain their own level of enjoyment. I agree with knit_at_nite to the extent that overall frustration with less knowledgeable members has grown in the recent past.

The actions of the moderation team have a great influence on the direction of the community as it grows and evolves. Perhaps the increased membership coupled with relaxed moderation response (by no means am I trying to denigrate the mod team here, they do a great job) have contributed to the growing overall impatience. I sometimes think to myself "that should be in off topic" or "that topic was just posted a couple days ago" and if I were a mod I would move/merge these threads, but of course I cannot do that. I appreciate socalwoman's offer to accept input of this nature. If members have a easy way to offer their suggestions to the mod team regarding redundant or mis-categorized posts, and mod actions increase as a result, maybe some of these frustrations can be alleviated.

Of course this introduces another question, that being should mods be a tool of the community or an independent force closely aligned with the community owners and leaders? They're not elected to their positions so should act independently of the whims of the community, but should listen to feedback so their actions can evolve as the community evolves in order to maintain the strong symbiotic relationship necessary for a healthy community.

Anyway, back on topic. The mods and what they do are essentially important to the community. I fear for what Basenotes would become without their thankless work. That said, I think there is a growing trend that is not good for the community. Can the mods fix this alone? Hardly, but maybe they can help. Ultimately I think it would be good for everyone to have a bit more patience with new members. Also, it's a great idea for the community to provide their ideas and feedback regarding their own perceived moderation needs. I'd love to hear how other mods feel about this.