Code of Conduct

Default Never say no: JaimeB bought Le Male and here I am giving it some consideration...

Our dear fellow Base Noter JaimeB mentioned buying the infamous one in the "Today I Bought" thread. After reading his review I decided to give it some consideration so I took my sample and applied some in order to analyze it.

I have encountered feelings regarding this one, for I like powdery fragrances and Le Male is no exception. Sweet to the extend of cloyingness? Indeed a put-off. Powdery? Well that is great. Now, the bottle... I cannot say I buy fragrances beacuse of the bottles, but I am realizing I am being guided by packaging issues - I don't like Kenzo Power but I would buy it due to its bottle, and at the same time, Le Male's is so... tacky and displeasing. Spending almost USD 100 for a 3.3 Oz bottle of a scent sold in a bottle with the shape of a male torso? I pass.

Such a popular fragrances has its knock offs - I found a local cheapo called Reef Tasmania. Comes in a very normal - down - to - earth and unassuming 3.3 Oz bottle costing USD 15. Doesn't last as long but the powdery feeling is there besides the ambery notes are more prominent.

Just never say no.

Default Re: Never say no: JaimeB bought Le Male and here I am giving it some consideration...

360 White is pretty cheap and it's a good copy. Not sure how avialable Perry Ellis is down there though.

I need to get my hands on a new, good sample of Le Male. The one I got from Scented Monkey smells like burned plastic with a mild vanilla in the background.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 4th March 2010 at 08:05 PM.

Default Re: Never say no: JaimeB bought Le Male and here I am giving it some consideration...

Cuba Gold is a pretty good copy, and it's dirt cheap

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    360 White is pretty cheap and it's a good copy. Not sure how avialable Perry Ellis is down there though.

I need to get my hands on a new, good sample of Le Male. The one I got from Scented Monkey smells like burned plastic with a mild vanilla in the background.
    First time I sampled it at Macy's I had the same impression. The bottle must have gone off. I didn't test it on skin but did get a card sample the last time I was at the store and it's actually a lot better than I thought/remembered. The only problem is the sweetness. It's not even that it's too sweet, per se, but just that the sweetness coupled with the thick and almost creamy texture is a bit much to me. If that was toned down a bit I think I could actually love the scent, as it is similar to one of my faves - Reflection Man - in many ways. Reflection Man though manages not to be cloying on my skin because the sweetness is presented in a light, airy and ethereal manner. I just wish I could change the texture of Le Male a bit.. I really love its usage of cinnamon amongst the melange of sweet and powdery notes.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

100? Really? I see it all over for 60 or less for the 3.3

Ditto on cuba gold. I smelled it and it smelled just like Le Male and you can get it for 15.

Le Male has great longevity and sillage tho, i heard cuba did too

Blog Entries

I used to like it. It just had that synthetic creamy note with the sweet tobacco and vanilla that eventually caused me to get sick of it after only wearing it 7-8 times. Then again, it was my first bottle of cologne that I ever purchased for myself. So not realizing a little bit goes a long way, olfactory fatigue, and understanding how my skin works, I often overdosed on this stuff. I should try it again sometime though.

Does it come in 3.3oz? The large bottle I have is 4.2oz.

Sur la Plage

I think Le Male is much better than a majority of the bland, boring, watered-down sh*t sitting on store shelves.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I actually like Le Mâle,
    but I will not wear it,
    simply because it's so
    damn recognizable.
    And just a tad outdated
    today?!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

It's probably a breach of protocol to weigh in when a thread title mentions you by name; I should perhaps be content with just eavesdropping instead. Anyway, I just had to say that Le Mâle is the handiwork of none other than Francis Kurkdjian, a well-known nose who has just launched his own maison. Hmmm....
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

If le Male wern't as popular, or if it were put out by a niche company, I'd be willing to bet it would get a lot more praise on basenotes. Unfortunately this is a fragrance where its reputation precedes it...
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I was guilty of saying "no" to Fleur de Male. Never even smelt it since its launch. I smelt it for the first time 3 days ago and was wowed! Of course i bought it on the spot. One of my best buys in recent times.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Our dear fellow Base Noter JaimeB mentioned buying the infamous one in the "Today I Bought" thread. After reading his review I decided to give it some consideration so I took my sample and applied some in order to analyze it.

I have encountered feelings regarding this one, for I like powdery fragrances and Le Male is no exception. Sweet to the extend of cloyingness? Indeed a put-off. Powdery? Well that is great. Now, the bottle... I cannot say I buy fragrances beacuse of the bottles, but I am realizing I am being guided by packaging issues - I don't like Kenzo Power but I would buy it due to its bottle, and at the same time, Le Male's is so... tacky and displeasing. Spending almost USD 100 for a 3.3 Oz bottle of a scent sold in a bottle with the shape of a male torso? I pass.

Such a popular fragrances has its knock offs - I found a local cheapo called Reef Tasmania. Comes in a very normal - down - to - earth and unassuming 3.3 Oz bottle costing USD 15. Doesn't last as long but the powdery feeling is there besides the ambery notes are more prominent.

Just never say no.
    I used to buy frags in perfume shops...wasted a whole lot of money...then I discovered cheapsmells.com - I'm reffering to your 100 dollars statement.

Le Male is a great scent, sometimes most fervent haters change their opinion about this one. Cloying? Yes! never use this one on 20+ celsius even though it is a fougere. For instance, Oriental fougere such as Lancome Hypnose homme or Givenchy Xeryus Rouge can be easily worn in warm weather if not overapplied (whole year frags in my opinion), but Le Male is thick and powdery, so, warm and humid weather + this scent = bad time
    Last edited by Zgb; 5th March 2010 at 08:52 AM.

The first time i sprayed Le Male, was the first time a scent really interested me, it's the scent that got me into frags.

Obviously i've worn this scent a lot of times, not so much anymore as its so common which is a shame, but i still really appreciate it for what it is.
    I think this is a good example of a scent that can really be appreciated by nearly anyone if they haven't smelt/smelled(???) it in a long time.

I do regret using it as my board name though, it is a bit too common!
    Got Musc Ravageur/Tobacco Vanille?

Fancy sample swapping? PM ME!

PawelL

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I think Le Male is much better than a majority of the bland, boring, watered-down sh*t sitting on store shelves.

I second that emotion.

Regards,
    Pawel

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    It's probably a breach of protocol to weigh in when a thread title mentions you by name...
    How does it feel to be a role model?