Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Help me choose two animalic vintage fragrances! ( Two only, thanks. )

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kingdom

10 27.03%
  • L'Insolent

1 2.70%
  • Vintage Miss Dior

10 27.03%
  • Jil Sander No. 4

0 0%
  • Clandestine

2 5.41%
  • La Nuit

6 16.22%
  • Vintage Rochas Femme

19 51.35%
  • My Sin

14 37.84%
  • Geminesse

0 0%
  • L'Arte di Gucci ( back-up bottle - already own one )

2 5.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Help me pick two old skanks!

I'm thinking of blind-buying two retro fragrances with an animalic "kick" to them. I love rich and heavy fragrances, and pre-'90s womens perfume seem to be a treasure trove, if you know where to look. Over the past few days the women ( and some men ) of Basenotes have given me many, many great suggestions and I'm very eager to try them all, but as sampling opportunities are limited, and there are reasonably priced blind-buys out there, I'm going to narrow it down to two of the aforementioned suggestions.

Here are my current temptations:

( Vintage ) Rochas Femme
    Paco Rabanne La Nuit
    Max Factor Geminesse
    Lanvin My Sin
    Jil Sander No. 4
    Guy Laroche Clandestine
    ( Vintage ) Dior Miss Dior
    Charles Jourdan L'Insolent
    Alexander McQueen Kingdom

For reference, some vintage animalic fragrances I know and love:

L'Arte di Gucci - castoreum to the max!
    ( vintage ) Poison - musky, animal richness.

And some adorable moderns for reference:

Dzing! - cotton candy as eaten by filthy biker ( like this, don't wear it though ).
    Gandhara - jasmine pushed to its evil side by castoreum ( already planning on buying this later this year ).

Some animalics I'm just so-so on:

Jicky - animalic indeed, but too light; too sparkly ( and I'm speaking of the parfum, too ).
    Muscs Kublai Khan - dirty, but far too powdery for my preference.

Not looking for:

Bandit - soap.
    Chanel Cuir de Russie - more soap.
    Cuir Mauresque - yeah, yet more soap.
    Nuit Noire - hey, soap, how funny to find you in yet another bottle.
    Cuir d'Oranger - need to take a restraining order out on Mr. Soap.

Still traumatized by:

Ajmal Musk Gazelle - like some sort of crossover between Where The Wild Things Are and Night Of The Living Dead.

In general, I have a strong leaning towards the heady, complex, dark, unusual, and rich, and try to avoid things that smell too mainstream for my tastes.

Thanks in advance for your votes and your opinions!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Help me pick two old skanks!

Oh you must get Kingdom, it's just so weirdly animalic. The other pick? Well...if I was you, I'd choose the vintage Miss Dior.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th March 2010 at 07:46 PM.

Voted for Lanvin.

Basenotes Plus

Haven't tried all those, so don't feel qualified to pick out two among them. But PM me if you'd like a sample of Paco Rabanne's La Nuit

Galamb, I love your AB FAB girls...

BTW, I hear Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir is pretty skanky...and I adore its tobacco/skank notes.

Kingdom is hard to beat with its "eau des aisselles du Comte avec fleurs" notes, LOL!

Be warned, due to the sad loss of Alexander McQueen, Kingdom is hard to find and very pricey...
    Last edited by Primrose; 4th March 2010 at 08:52 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Voted for My Sin and Vintage Rochas Femme - the later has fantastic smooth civet. Filthy and gorgeous.

I've only tried two on your list! My vote is for La Nuit. I've tried Geminesse and I didn't smell any skank but it has a lot of fatty aldehydes! I see My Sin is getting a lot of votes. I've always wanted to get that but was afraid it had a lot of fatty aldehydes too. Good Luck! Looking forward to your picks and follow-up impressions.

Have you tried Bal A Versailles?

BTW you now have me lusting after Ajmal Musk Gazelle

Bal a Versaille is a splendid choice. I went for La Nuit and My Sin, last Geminesse I smelled was very off.

Blog Entries

I chose Miss Dior & Femme. I have never tried Geminesse, L'Insolent, Clandestine. I have both MD & Rochas Femme in vintage. The RF, esp, is so gorgeous in vintage. Oakmoss abounds. The bottle I got was dark juice & evaporated so I added a few drops of Everclear. Perked it right up! Yowsa! Miss Dior is raunchy galbanum. IMO, My Sin was soapy. Maybe I just got a bad bottle. I liked Arpege better but it isn't really raunchy. (Talking vintage here.)
    Last edited by kumquat; 4th March 2010 at 09:42 PM.

There is a good thread in the male section on animalic scents

Thanks for the info and the suggestions, folks!

Interesting... I wasn't expecting My Sin to be in the lead. I see it has fans here.

Quote Originally Posted by sean-dt View Post
    Have you tried Bal A Versailles?

BTW you now have me lusting after Ajmal Musk Gazelle
    BAV is one I haven't tried. For some reason it's in my mind as some demure powdery thing, but the reviews indicate otherwise.

Be careful what you wish for with Musk Gazelle! At first I thought "Cool, something impossibly animalic," but in the end there most definitely can be too much of a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I chose Miss Dior & Femme. I have never tried Geminesse, L'Insolent, Clandestine. I have both MD & Rochas Femme in vintage. The RF, esp, is so gorgeous in vintage. Oakmoss abounds. The bottle I got was dark juice & evaporated so I added a few drops of Everclear. Perked it right up! Yowsa! Miss Dior is raunchy galbanum. IMO, My Sin was soapy. Maybe I just got a bad bottle. I liked Arpege better but it isn't really raunchy. (Talking vintage here.)
    Thanks for the info! Rochas Femme is intriguing indeed.

Hey Galamb! Nice to see someone cranking up the skank-ometer! I voted for vintage Femme because it is seriously a piece of art. It has Mitsouko's peach note, but with a very, very leathery background and loads of smooooth civet. It is also somewhat related to En Avion parfum, which is also divine I might add. The leather is Femme is somewhat musty, yet never crosses the line of getting too sharp. Please, please try Peau d'Espagne which I recently discovered. It is very, very similiar to vintage Femme, but without the peach note. I'm surpised you found Cuir d'Oranger soapy! It's very animalic on my skin, but I can see where soapy comes into play, given the citrus-leather topnotes. If you get the chance, please try Bal a Versailles parfum (vintage preferrably, although I've heard the modern is very true to the original). It's not as powdery as the EDT, and feels alarmingly animalic (which is always a plus!) and dirrrty!

I had a funny story with L'arte yesterday. I wanted to wear it to bed to get a feel of the frag. So I spritzed two sprays onto my sheets and pillows and went into the bathroom to complete my pre-bedtime rituals lol! I came out and the whole room smelled like L'arte! Jeeez this thing is huuuge! At first, I thought it smelled quite bright, but quickly it turned into the mossy, leather-oil-civet base that was very similiar to Rose de Nuit! LOOOOOVE IT NOW!

Actually, I noticed that Chanel No.5 in extrait is rather skanky--almost more than Bal a Versailles, in its own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Actually, I noticed that Chanel No.5 in extrait is rather skanky--almost more than Bal a Versailles, in its own way.
    I often wear the extrait of No. 5 as my bedtime scent and I have to agree that it's a bit of a raunch fest from the get go. Indoles, civet? Another write is Scherrer EdP by who else, Jean Louis Scherrer. A green chypre that takes a serious walk on the wild side during the drydown. With all due respect to Lee, I'm not a big fan of Kingdom which smells rather dull and thick to me.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th March 2010 at 02:12 AM.

I voted for Femme. I was lucky to buy a new extrait on e-Bay last Christmas. It was a gift for my mom, since it is her signature perfume. It is beautiful, and sexy.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post

BAV is one I haven't tried. For some reason it's in my mind as some demure powdery thing, but the reviews indicate otherwise.

Be careful what you wish for with Musk Gazelle! At first I thought "Cool, something impossibly animalic," but in the end there most definitely can be too much of a good thing.
    But it sounds so intriguing...

BAV is certainly animalic, but to my nose the skank lends a heavy depth to the composition, and is more than just a homage to glorious filth. It has a very dense quality that actually reminds me of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, and I think the animalic side makes it heavier and darker. Even with the skank toned down I think BaV would be fairly full on, but the musks seem to magnify everything, making it smell huge. It's certainly not a perfume I would forget in a hurry...
    Last edited by sean-dt; 5th March 2010 at 03:00 AM.

Whenever the subject of skanky perfumes comes up, my mind goes straight to Tabu. Skank dialed up to 100, projection for miles, revolting and come-hither in the same breath. It's the ultimate cheap thrill.

From your list, though, I picked Femme. Smelled it once years ago and I've never forgotten it.

Basenotes Plus

Kingdom gets my vote. The cumin makes it very animalic and gives it the feel of body odour (pleasant BO if there is such a thing). The rose and sandalwood dry down is to die for!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

I've voted for Kingdom and La Nuit...I feel they are more 'out there' with their animalistic notes. For a more classic animal, I would definitely recommend My Sin, an older but beautiful scent... and more subdued, but never the less, wonderfully animalistic :-)
    Last edited by The Fragrant Zebra; 5th March 2010 at 10:25 AM.

Banned

Kingdom and Femme. Too bad you haven't tried BaV, Galamb. It's THE skank among skanks. Simply delicious!

...I figured it out
    Last edited by darkdreams; 5th March 2010 at 04:48 PM.

You want an old skanky perfume? Hell, get a bottle of Tabu! It's cheap, old and total freakin' roadkill secretions with patchouli!! Heavy as a lead too.

I've been wearing it to the office recently believe it or not.
    Last edited by shamu1; 6th March 2010 at 04:10 AM.

Un profumo affettuoso

I voted Clandestine and L'Arte di Gucci.
    Both are sillage monsters and extravagant!

Un profumo affettuoso

Dear Shamu,
    how did people at the office react to TABU???
    Just curious.

I voted for Miss Dior and Rochas Femme, then I read the comments. Kumquat and I were thinking the same thing. JINX!

Hillaire

I voted for La Nuit and L'Arte. Because I think they are the best-smelling.Though Clandestine was a close third, and I was really tempted to vote for poor, forlorn L'Insolent, too, an all-but-forgotten little skank.

I voted for Kingdom and vintage Femme. I adore Kingdom and have three bottles of it in my collection - should be enough for a while... The only other fume I know from the list was My Sin which didn't work for me.

I voted Kingdom and the good ole' Rochas Femme!! Well, good luck and hope you smell as good as you sell :P

- Balava -
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Jalé View Post
    Dear Shamu,
    how did people at the office react to TABU???
    Just curious.
    Actually, no one reacted because I'm self-employed, so I guess I'm not all that bold after all! In all seriousness though, there are other business people in my building, and no one died that day from my overpowering patchouli and animal juice fumes.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Kingdom hardly smells vintage too me, nor is it particularly animalic. Unfortunately I can't help with the others on the list as I have yet to sample them.
    The only vintage with skank that appeal to me thus far had been Chanel Cuir de Russie and Patou 1000.