Code of Conduct

Default Refreshing Scents

Hey guys, I'm interested in trying and hopefully adding something that could be considered refreshing to my drobe for the coming summer months. I don't really have anything particular in mind, but something that can be sprayed heavily, but has some complexities so as not to get too boring. How are the Diptyque L'eau's?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: Refreshing Scents

I tried L'eau de L'eau (sp?) a few days ago. Quite nice opening but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be with it settling down being a little bland with not much projection. I also tried Philosykos which I wasn't aware of before but was pleased it was brought to my attention. Vibrant and exciting opening with the fig and green notes... very unique and considering it's a summer frag it has nice versatalilty too I can imagine but still remains on the fresh side too which I like.

If those don't pick your fancy I cannot see why someone wouldn't want Allure Homme Sport in their wardrobe. For me this is the king of summer scents... I'm sorry, but not much comes close to it, it blitzes all the niche and designer summer frags I've tried and that's why I have it in my wardrobe. It's also versatile and has great longevity too which also helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Vojskovođa View Post
    I tried L'eau de L'eau (sp?) a few days ago. Quite nice opening but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be with it settling down being a little bland with not much projection. I also tried Philosykos which I wasn't aware of before but was pleased it was brought to my attention. Vibrant and exciting opening with the fig and green notes... very unique and considering it's a summer frag it has nice versatalilty too I can imagine but still remains on the fresh side too which I like.

If those don't pick your fancy I cannot see why someone wouldn't want Allure Homme Sport in their wardrobe. For me this is the king of summer scents... I'm sorry, but not much comes close to it, it blitzes all the niche and designer summer frags I've tried and that's why I have it in my wardrobe. It's also versatile and has great longevity too which also helps!
    Regarding Philosykos, I very much like it, and considered it for a purchase at one point, but I find it actually very potent, and it bothered me some times and not at others, so I couldn't commit. Believe it or not I actually don't care for Allure Homme Sport, I much prefer the Allure Homme Cologne Sport. In AHS the aldehydes in the top notes, for some reason just irritate me, it smells sort of like cardboard on my skin.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I like Gendarme 20. Lavender; clean shirt smell. One of those frags you probably could not overspray. It is similar to Puro Lino which a friend of mine has. What really rocks is the Gendarme bar soap- especially in hot weather.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 5th March 2010 at 02:43 AM.

Some say Puro Lino although I have yet to try it. Gendarme 20 might be an option. Can you tell us your preference or department store vs Niche. Does it matter to you? This might help us narrow it down a bit. EDOV is very nice as well.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Roger Gallet Extra Vielle. Been around for over 200 years. Relatively inexpensive, a perfect, classic scent. So wonderful, so refreshing. I keep a bottle in my gym bag, but also give myself a quick spray before business presentations now and then. Light, ephemeral, but guaranteed to please. EV bar soap is truly magnificent, too. Buy immediately. You won't regret it.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 5th March 2010 at 02:33 AM.

Basenotes Institution

If you can find them, try any of the splash colognes from Institut Tres Bien. They are all fantastic!

While you're at it, give Eau de Guerlain a shot.

Yachting & Lem

Of newer releases, Serge's Leau de L'eau and Francis Kurkdjian's Aqua Universalis are pretty good "refreshing" scents. Neither are bizarre or earth shattering (and are a bit familiar), but they're nicely built and have really nice development.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I thought L'Ombre dans L'Eau from Diptique was nice--grapefruit rose, better than the latest Hermes release (although you really can't go wrong with Hermes L'Eau d'Orange Vert).

2nding Mike's recommendation for Institute Tres Bien. I did read that the L'Italienne from this line was like Jean Marie Farina and La Francaise was like Chanel Eau de Cologne. La Rousse is a bit heavier and reminds me of a cross between Habit Rouge EDC and an upscale Old Spice.

For something more green, try O de Lancome, No.19 EDT, Sisely Eau de Campagne, Dior Eau Sauvage (herbal citrus).
    Last edited by Asha; 5th March 2010 at 02:17 PM.

Hermes Orange D'Verte

pretty good stuff
    spray a lot

akdeluxe

Eau Sauvage

Thanks guys for all the recommendations. I don't care niche or designer, though I tend to prefer niche. I actually have an unused sample of Gendarme 20 at home, so I'm going to look into that. Eau d'Orange Verte I can probably just try over at the mall, I've only ever smelled it on a paper strip so I'll give that a good ol' wrist test. I've been interested in the Roger Gallet as well and SL L'eau will be on my next Luckyscent sample order. Thanks for ALL the recommendations guys, I'm going to try to sample them all.

Edit: One more thing I forgot to mention. Though I plan on trying everything, I would actually prefer, if it was a more "modern" interpretation of the theme. I have nothing against, anything that comes from a past era, but I am, one of those that happens to attach smell to age and time periods.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 5th March 2010 at 08:54 PM.

Diptyque's L'Eau de L'Eau is the only one that caught my attention of the recent L'Eaus ( neither L'Eau, Eau Lente, nor L'Eau Trois are what I'd call refreshing ). L'Eau de L'Eau is basically L'Eau tempered with citrus, which is a good thing, as I find L'Eau to be untempered cinnamon candy otherwise. It's not my favorite Diptyque, but it's wearable.

Diptyque does do fresh quite well, though. Ofresia is my favorite of the fresher ones, a very fresh green floral that does watery green in an interesting way ( it's not aquatic in the least ). Do Son, though less interesting and much more floral, is a pleasant-enough light tuberose suspended in a similar watery shimmer ( I don't get why the reviews talk about it like it's some extreme-tuberose, it's a million miles from Fracas and some distance from even the other mild tuberoses out there - it's tuberose water, if they made such a thing ). Viriglio is a great, fresh, vegetal basil. I saw it at the Diptyque boutique in SF back in November, so it's discontinued but certainly still around.

Maybe I've been praising it too heavily of late, but Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Viridian is my favorite new green scent. It's fresh in a unique way; like witch hazel tonic and violet leaves.

I'm not a huge fan of most aquatic or citrus notes, so most of my fresh favorites lean towards the green side of things.

Patricia de Nicolai Carre d'as - underrated to the core. refreshing to the bone.

un Jardin sur le Nil (Hermes) - extremely refreshing

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Diptyque's L'Eau de L'Eau is the only one that caught my attention of the recent L'Eaus ( neither L'Eau, Eau Lente, nor L'Eau Trois are what I'd call refreshing ). L'Eau de L'Eau is basically L'Eau tempered with citrus, which is a good thing, as I find L'Eau to be untempered cinnamon candy otherwise. It's not my favorite Diptyque, but it's wearable.

Diptyque does do fresh quite well, though. Ofresia is my favorite of the fresher ones, a very fresh green floral that does watery green in an interesting way ( it's not aquatic in the least ). Do Son, though less interesting and much more floral, is a pleasant-enough light tuberose suspended in a similar watery shimmer ( I don't get why the reviews talk about it like it's some extreme-tuberose, it's a million miles from Fracas and some distance from even the other mild tuberoses out there - it's tuberose water, if they made such a thing ). Viriglio is a great, fresh, vegetal basil. I saw it at the Diptyque boutique in SF back in November, so it's discontinued but certainly still around.

Maybe I've been praising it too heavily of late, but Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Viridian is my favorite new green scent. It's fresh in a unique way; like witch hazel tonic and violet leaves.

I'm not a huge fan of most aquatic or citrus notes, so most of my fresh favorites lean towards the green side of things.
    I've actually tried Ofresia, and while it's nice I don't really care for it. I've stayed away from Virgilio, I don't like basil, so I figure that's not going to be my thing.

L'erbolario's Energizing EdP in their Aromacosmetic range is possibly the most refreshing fragrance I know. It opens with a big blast of lemon, bergamot and develops into a herbal blend of rosemary, lemon leaves, basil and a little mint. By the time it dries down it has a great green herbal/oakmoss finish. This is one that can be sprayed heavily (the average amount that ejects from the bottle per spritz is larger than any other perfume I own or have used) and benefits from heavy application. I find that the longevity is great for this style fragrance, I wore it the other day and was still smelling it coming up from under my shirt at the end of the day (and it filled the bathroom with oakmossy goodness when I hit the shower that night). It can be tough to track down but it is reasonably inexpensive. I'd also recommend their Orangerie.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant