Code of Conduct

Default Caron, Third Man/Le Troiseme Homme Cologne

Few questions (it seems a bunch of people like it here):

1) Is it suitable for office / spring+summer?
    2) Longevity? Can I get a good 4hrs + on it ?
    3) Do they make smaller version than 4.2 oz ? I couldn't find anywhere ?
    4) 30 bucks on amazon seems like a bargain if it's as good as everyone makes it to be? Am I better to buy at Caron store in NYC to smell/buy or is amazon somewhat trusted on this one. I might give Yatagan a whiff, but for an office scent seemed like 3eme homme would fit best.

Many thanks.

NH

Default Re: Caron, Third Man/Le Troiseme Homme Cologne

1 - yes
    2 - Easily
    3 - 4.2oz is the only size in production; if you find another size, that's vintage juice
    4 - Yes, the juice sold on Amazon is the same juice in the Caron store (Caron has a store in NYC?). Yatagan may not be suitable for the office.
    Last edited by manicboy; 5th March 2010 at 04:33 AM.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Caron Boutique: 715 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10022-2053 (According to google).

Troiseme homme is a more suitable choice for the office than yatagan and other Carons?

Welcome to Basenotes!
    1) Yes, just adjust the application amount. You have tonka, moss and musk at the base that will persist.
    2) Absolutely
    3) ...the more the better. Any version is fine.
    4) I would say yes, this is more suitable in the way that it's the type of scent that's more familiar to people than something like Yatagan. However, the most conservative one would be Pour un Homme if you're concerned about that.
    Enjoy!

Le 3 Homme is probably Caron's best though no Caron scents have really impressed me.

I'm wearing it right now. It's a good scent, but the more I wear it, the less I like it. It just smells less and less interesting to me every time I put it on.

Longevity is good. I get about 8 hours out of it. Very appropriate for office setting. Although it's not at all a typical designer scent, it's definitely safe and non-offensive, which is probably why I'm getting bored with it.

Wow. I guess I lucked out. There's a store in Beverly Hills that sold me a 30ml bottle.

I generally like it, but don't really find myself wearing it much if at all. I am not a Luca Turin fanboy, but his review basically stated it is so artfully done, buy it even if you don't wear it. It is indeed a very "pretty" men's frag.

Seems like it has much better than average longevity for a designer frag that can usually be found reasonably priced.

I haven't really given all of them a fair test, but of those I've sampled, this is the most striking, distinctive and wearable Caron imo.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 5th March 2010 at 03:25 PM.

Yatagan is an amazing scent, and much better than 3rd Homme, IMO. I wear it to the office all the time (granted, I am self-employed so no one's going to give me a hard time). It is extremely bold and unusual, though not super strong.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I haven't really given all of them a fair test, but of those I've sampled, this is the most striking, distinctive and wearable Caron imo.
    Having finally smelt 3rd Man, i am inclined to agree. I recently got a 30ml vintage bottle. My first impression was how much it reminded me of Etienne Aigner No. 2 (1976), one of my all-time favourites.

It is quite suitable for office wear. Living in the tropics, weather is irrelevant to me. It wears well in the heat though. 8+ hours longevity.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Yatagan is not an all-occasion scent, but Troisieme is safe.

Very pleasant and even for a woman...or for a very pretty man, as Luca Turin described. I wear this not *everyday* but certainly in my rotation.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

The Third Man is one of those fragrances that you don't want to wear UNLESS you're in formal attire. That's the feel I get when I'm wearing it. A formal, dress shirt/slacks, tie preferrably. It's soo formal to me. So gentlemanly. Sillage is good, longevity the same. I think you can pull anything off in any season, with the right application. Just go light in the spring/summer.

It's now 17 hours after I put Third Man on this morning, and I can still get whiffs of it believe it or not. It's like this stuff is sticking to me. I'm really starting to dislike this scent. I'm reminded of why I hardly ever wear this cologne.

Sur la Plage

I love The Third Man and highly recommend it, as well as the other Caron men's fragrances (Yatagan, L'Anarchiste, Pour Un Homme). I wear all of them to work (office environment).
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    It's now 17 hours after I put Third Man on this morning, and I can still get whiffs of it believe it or not. It's like this stuff is sticking to me. I'm really starting to dislike this scent. I'm reminded of why I hardly ever wear this cologne.
    So the good news is it has fantastic longevity. The bad news- you hate it. In my quest for longevity, I'm surprised I don't have more scents like that.

I can't say I hate it (yet), but I'm really not enjoying it much. I have a feeling I'm going to be putting this on the swap thread in the near future.

I can understand why lots of people like it, but on me it just smells sour.

Third Man is okay. But it's the least interesting of the four Caron scents I own, the others being Pour Homme, Yatagan, L'Anarchiste.
    Renato

With the approach of warmer weather in the Northern Hemisphere, I am anticipating breaking this scent out more often.

Any thoughts about lavender scents in warm weather? I always like the jasmine in this...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I wish I liked this one more. It sounds like a good gentlemanly, formal fragrance - but it smells like cotton candy and scented erasers to me. Tooth-achingly sweet. More appropriate for a pre-teen girl in my mind. How does that happen, I wonder? Such a disparity of impressions!

Great Longevity and suitable for anywhere IMO.

Great year-rounder and anytime/anywhere scent for me. Works formally and casually and always impresses with longevity. I think others notice it long after I think it's gone.

FWIW it's really only the opening of Yatagan that is shocking (and it's not that extreme). The drydown is very classy and classic and quite suitable for an office.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

its one of the very few sweet scents I enjoy
    maybe because it does not really remind me of food, but more of sophistication and elegance (I know, its weird)
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

This one's been in and out of my wardrobe so many times. It's one of those that I appreciate, but don't enjoy wearing. I agree with the others that claim it's just too pretty for its own good. I have the same sentiments about the gorgeous Richard James Savile Row and Mouchoir de Monsieur: too sweet, too floral and too dandified for my lifestyle.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 12th March 2010 at 11:30 PM.

It is a scent you have to trust, against first impressions, that one or two shots is plenty. More than that, and the development is very different, and much more floral-sweet than I like. Otherwise, the development is very nice. Remember it contains a rose note that, to me, is especially strong after a few hours -- this is definitely a male floral scent, so it may be very different from the fragrances in a typical male wardrobe.
    Last edited by vonMises; 12th March 2010 at 11:54 PM.

I have had a difficult relationship with this one. I find it very interesting, actually, and not in any way simple or 'pretty' as Tonya Sanchez does. It's just as difficult and complex as Yatagan to my nose. The difficulty to me is the combination of sharpness and sweetness. It can seem like an assault, and in combination with the heady jasmine, that sharp/sweet contrast can be overwhelming. Recognizing the aromatic/camphorous thread of this scent has allowed me to enjoy it very much, though. It is related to big 80's floral fougeres like Salvador Dali pour Homme, but to a lesser extent also--I think, anyway--to modern camphorous frags like Hinoki. I sometimes wish it were less sweet, but after the first two hours and with light application I really enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    This one's been in and out of my wardrobe so many times. It's one of those that I appreciate, but don't enjoy wearing. I agree with the others that claim it's just too pretty for its own good. I have the same sentiments about the gorgeous Richard James Savile Row and Mouchoir de Monsieur: too sweet, too floral and too dandified for my lifestyle.
    Ruggles, you nailed it! That's exactly how I feel about Third Man - it smells very good out of the bottle or on a smelling strip, but I don't like actually wearing it on my skin. I find it irritatingly sour and sweet to wear. It smells to me like lemon hard candy. I don't want to smell like candy.

I'm demoting this frag to a "two star" rating in my wardrobe.

My two cents on the original questions:

Use lightly for the office, but maybe avoid in summer

Lasts forever. FOREVER.

I don't remember seeing anything smaller than 4.2, which really annoys me. Still, very cheap for that size.

It's very close to what I would like my sweet woody scents to be, with a little floral element that I could do without. Somehow this makes it feel just the slightest bit too desserty and not woody enough to me, and maybe a little too "pretty" as someone said before.

I do agree that it's fairly "safe" and conventional, so nobody will find it out of place for the office. Still, you have to be willing to go that far along the sweetness spectrum, and thus I understand why some people like it but don't like to wear it.

You could try Corduroy or London for the office for less floral alternatives...corduroy is very low-concentration so you don't have to be so careful spraying.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Like many foods I found The Third Man to be an acquired taste. At first try, two spritzes and I thought it was just ghastly and overwhelming. The second try, one spritz only, things immediately changed for the better. Now, four half-spritzes well distributed about is just about perfect for a long lasting and very enjoyable wear.
    Last edited by kbe; 14th March 2010 at 04:46 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by nharris View Post
    Few questions (it seems a bunch of people like it here):

1) Is it suitable for office / spring+summer?
    2) Longevity? Can I get a good 4hrs + on it ?
    3) Do they make smaller version than 4.2 oz ? I couldn't find anywhere ?
    4) 30 bucks on amazon seems like a bargain if it's as good as everyone makes it to be? Am I better to buy at Caron store in NYC to smell/buy or is amazon somewhat trusted on this one. I might give Yatagan a whiff, but for an office scent seemed like 3eme homme would fit best.

Many thanks.

NH

1) Yes

2) Yes and then some.

3) You won't want a smaller bottle, this stuff is so good, you'll use it.

4) Buy it blind, you won't regret it.

This is a beautifully classy fragrance that is every bit as good as people say.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I bought my bottle completely blind and don't really like it anymore. I've been trying to convince myself for the past two years that I like this.

However, if you don't like it, you'll easily be able to find someone here to swap for it.

Well, I've finally had it with Troisieme Homme, and I just gave my bottle this morning to my wife. She loves it, and it smells great on her.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Well, I've finally had it with Troisieme Homme, and I just gave my bottle this morning to my wife. She loves it, and it smells great on her.
    LOL! This scent is truly a gender-neutral. I have Troisieme Homme and bought it for myself. At least this way, you can still enjoy it, yes?
    Last edited by Primrose; 22nd March 2010 at 11:21 PM.

Like many others who've commented on this thread, I own the Big 4 Caron masculines: PuH, Yatagan, 3rd Man, and L'Anarchiste. PuH is PuH; an absolute classic that I think I'll always appreciate in part for its very simplicity. Though I like all the other three, my feelings about them go up and down. But the one with which I have the most difficult relationship isn't 3rd Man, but L'Anarchiste, about which I feel similar to a lot of the thoughts expressed upthread about 3rd Man: I love the way it smells, but less on my skin than elsewhere; it lasts too long; and there's something in the drydown that goes on and on and on that I find more and more cloying with each passing hour. I only wear this about once a month (if that often), but it happens to be my SOTD today. And I'm experiencing what seems to be my set pattern with L'Anarchiste: I spray it on (sparingly). My first thought is: wow! this is better than I remember it! why don't I wear this more often? But now, about ten hours later, I find myself thinking: why did I wear this again?
    Last edited by PhinClio; 23rd March 2010 at 02:21 AM.

3rd Man is deep, rich, and complex. We are lucky it's available; especially at this price. People would gladly pay three times the money if it was a Lutens. I don't wear it often but when I smell it I think : "Bless those people at Caron".
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    And I'm experiencing what seems to be my set pattern with L'Anarchiste: I spray it on (sparingly). My first thought is: wow! this is better than I remember it! why don't I wear this more often? But now, about ten hours later, I find myself thinking: why did I wear this again?
    Me too! L'Anarchiste is the only fragrance I spray once, and from a distance. Wonderful at first but it's linearity bores me at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    But now, about ten hours later, I find myself thinking: why did I wear this again?
    That's exactly how I feel about 3rd Homme. Except I get that "Why the hell did I wear this??" feeling about 15 minutes into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    LOL! This scent is truly a gender-neutral. I have Troisieme Homme and bought it for myself. At least this way, you can still enjoy it, yes?
    I do like it when she wears it, but I don't love it (I guess my saying it smells "great" on her was all relative compared to how it smells on me). It doesn't smell as sour on her as it does on me. The drydown smells almost vanilla-like on her skin. On my skin, it just smells like hard lemon candy and musk.
    Last edited by shamu1; 23rd March 2010 at 11:31 PM.

Out of all the research I've done looking for a new signature scent I came up with:

Le 3 homme
    Lauder for men

Today I received Le3 and I have a hard time saying anything great about it. At the same time I can't really say anything bad about it because the ingredients used are obviously high grade. To me it has an oriental baby powder smell. You can smell something in it that has possibilities yet that is short lived as it turns into a pasty mess of scented baby powder.

The judgement is in. I will stick to chanel PE or Egoiste. Maybe It isn't original but most people aren't fragrance nuts like us so I wouldn't be called on it AND I really love both fragrances. Today I bought decant bottles....not strong enough no problem since I can carry it with me.

I am tired of spending money on lame purchases for myself.

Creed Irish Tweed was also a great recommendation but too expensive to use the way I like to abuse cologne.

Classy, long lasting, good sillage, unique smell...

Problem is that i can't see it as an everyday fragrance. I feel it too elegant for that

thatmakesscent, blind buying is risky and you can end up thinking you're wasting money. I've been looking with my blind buys (not so many and always more or less cheap). I blind bought Le 3º Homme and it's not an easy fragrance. I needed some time to appreciate it.
    A fragrance from the 80's or 70's will always be a risky choice for a blind buy in my opinion. Nowadays many frags are "more of the same" and the only risk is lack of longevity or unoriginal smell, all of them al commercially pleasant. Not so back then.

AromiErotici

The only other masculine floral I like better is Givenchy Insense. Between the two, I prefer the Caron in cool temps and the Givenchy in warmer months.

I can see why alot of folks have a difficult time with 3rd Man, but I still think it's one helluva fragrance.

From the reviews I read, my major concern at this point is the ingredient quality. I'm not a huge fan of this kind of frag, so while I'd like to sample it, I'm not going to go out of my way to obtain one.

I'd be willing to swap with somebody. Although I haven't gained access to the proper thread yet.

If you are concerned about smelling different to the other guys: don't buy it. If you can handle that: buy it - it's beautiful.

Wearing 3rd Man for the first time today. Very nice scent. To me it seems quite close to Chanel Pour Homme after the first 30 minutes. Anyone else get that?

For me, the new one is good for outdoors in cold weather. The vintage is similar to vintage Emeraude PdT, and so most would find it too "old" to wear, except at home.

Basenotes Plus

Excellent reply, manicboy -

I concur on all accounts. Fantastic fragrance and one I adore in my collection.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    1 - yes
    2 - Easily
    3 - 4.2oz is the only size in production; if you find another size, that's vintage juice
    4 - Yes, the juice sold on Amazon is the same juice in the Caron store (Caron has a store in NYC?). Yatagan may not be suitable for the office.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Threads View Post
    Wearing 3rd Man for the first time today. Very nice scent. To me it seems quite close to Chanel Pour Homme after the first 30 minutes. Anyone else get that?
    I get a mix of Chanel Egoiste, Chanel Pour Monsieur & Guerlain Vetiver in my 125 ml EDT bottle of Caron Le Troisiemme Homme. I like it occasionally, but prefer it used in a blend with Zino Davidoff old formula.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Yes, a wonderful scent. Wearing it occasionally makes me imagine that it could've been worn by poets from the Romantic Era. Though the sweetness in it is only one part of it, I thought for the longest time that that sweetness came from the fruity or citrus notes. But after careful consideration I now believe it's the heart note of jasmine, perhaps combined with the rose. I'll have to wear it tonight!