Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Caron, Third Man/Le Troiseme Homme Cologne

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Well, I've finally had it with Troisieme Homme, and I just gave my bottle this morning to my wife. She loves it, and it smells great on her.
    LOL! This scent is truly a gender-neutral. I have Troisieme Homme and bought it for myself. At least this way, you can still enjoy it, yes?
    Last edited by Primrose; 22nd March 2010 at 11:21 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

Like many others who've commented on this thread, I own the Big 4 Caron masculines: PuH, Yatagan, 3rd Man, and L'Anarchiste. PuH is PuH; an absolute classic that I think I'll always appreciate in part for its very simplicity. Though I like all the other three, my feelings about them go up and down. But the one with which I have the most difficult relationship isn't 3rd Man, but L'Anarchiste, about which I feel similar to a lot of the thoughts expressed upthread about 3rd Man: I love the way it smells, but less on my skin than elsewhere; it lasts too long; and there's something in the drydown that goes on and on and on that I find more and more cloying with each passing hour. I only wear this about once a month (if that often), but it happens to be my SOTD today. And I'm experiencing what seems to be my set pattern with L'Anarchiste: I spray it on (sparingly). My first thought is: wow! this is better than I remember it! why don't I wear this more often? But now, about ten hours later, I find myself thinking: why did I wear this again?
    Last edited by PhinClio; 23rd March 2010 at 02:21 AM.

3rd Man is deep, rich, and complex. We are lucky it's available; especially at this price. People would gladly pay three times the money if it was a Lutens. I don't wear it often but when I smell it I think : "Bless those people at Caron".
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    And I'm experiencing what seems to be my set pattern with L'Anarchiste: I spray it on (sparingly). My first thought is: wow! this is better than I remember it! why don't I wear this more often? But now, about ten hours later, I find myself thinking: why did I wear this again?
    Me too! L'Anarchiste is the only fragrance I spray once, and from a distance. Wonderful at first but it's linearity bores me at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    But now, about ten hours later, I find myself thinking: why did I wear this again?
    That's exactly how I feel about 3rd Homme. Except I get that "Why the hell did I wear this??" feeling about 15 minutes into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    LOL! This scent is truly a gender-neutral. I have Troisieme Homme and bought it for myself. At least this way, you can still enjoy it, yes?
    I do like it when she wears it, but I don't love it (I guess my saying it smells "great" on her was all relative compared to how it smells on me). It doesn't smell as sour on her as it does on me. The drydown smells almost vanilla-like on her skin. On my skin, it just smells like hard lemon candy and musk.
    Last edited by shamu1; 23rd March 2010 at 11:31 PM.

Out of all the research I've done looking for a new signature scent I came up with:

Le 3 homme
    Lauder for men

Today I received Le3 and I have a hard time saying anything great about it. At the same time I can't really say anything bad about it because the ingredients used are obviously high grade. To me it has an oriental baby powder smell. You can smell something in it that has possibilities yet that is short lived as it turns into a pasty mess of scented baby powder.

The judgement is in. I will stick to chanel PE or Egoiste. Maybe It isn't original but most people aren't fragrance nuts like us so I wouldn't be called on it AND I really love both fragrances. Today I bought decant bottles....not strong enough no problem since I can carry it with me.

I am tired of spending money on lame purchases for myself.

Creed Irish Tweed was also a great recommendation but too expensive to use the way I like to abuse cologne.

Classy, long lasting, good sillage, unique smell...

Problem is that i can't see it as an everyday fragrance. I feel it too elegant for that

thatmakesscent, blind buying is risky and you can end up thinking you're wasting money. I've been looking with my blind buys (not so many and always more or less cheap). I blind bought Le 3º Homme and it's not an easy fragrance. I needed some time to appreciate it.
    A fragrance from the 80's or 70's will always be a risky choice for a blind buy in my opinion. Nowadays many frags are "more of the same" and the only risk is lack of longevity or unoriginal smell, all of them al commercially pleasant. Not so back then.

AromiErotici

The only other masculine floral I like better is Givenchy Insense. Between the two, I prefer the Caron in cool temps and the Givenchy in warmer months.

I can see why alot of folks have a difficult time with 3rd Man, but I still think it's one helluva fragrance.

From the reviews I read, my major concern at this point is the ingredient quality. I'm not a huge fan of this kind of frag, so while I'd like to sample it, I'm not going to go out of my way to obtain one.

I'd be willing to swap with somebody. Although I haven't gained access to the proper thread yet.

If you are concerned about smelling different to the other guys: don't buy it. If you can handle that: buy it - it's beautiful.

Wearing 3rd Man for the first time today. Very nice scent. To me it seems quite close to Chanel Pour Homme after the first 30 minutes. Anyone else get that?

For me, the new one is good for outdoors in cold weather. The vintage is similar to vintage Emeraude PdT, and so most would find it too "old" to wear, except at home.

Excellent reply, manicboy -

I concur on all accounts. Fantastic fragrance and one I adore in my collection.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    1 - yes
    2 - Easily
    3 - 4.2oz is the only size in production; if you find another size, that's vintage juice
    4 - Yes, the juice sold on Amazon is the same juice in the Caron store (Caron has a store in NYC?). Yatagan may not be suitable for the office.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Threads View Post
    Wearing 3rd Man for the first time today. Very nice scent. To me it seems quite close to Chanel Pour Homme after the first 30 minutes. Anyone else get that?
    I get a mix of Chanel Egoiste, Chanel Pour Monsieur & Guerlain Vetiver in my 125 ml EDT bottle of Caron Le Troisiemme Homme. I like it occasionally, but prefer it used in a blend with Zino Davidoff old formula.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Yes, a wonderful scent. Wearing it occasionally makes me imagine that it could've been worn by poets from the Romantic Era. Though the sweetness in it is only one part of it, I thought for the longest time that that sweetness came from the fruity or citrus notes. But after careful consideration I now believe it's the heart note of jasmine, perhaps combined with the rose. I'll have to wear it tonight!