Code of Conduct

Default Is this the ultimate men's ginger frag ?

I've tried a bunch of them, and the one I've liked most is the new Tabarome, but once the top notes fade away, there is nothing of interest to me. So, when I came across this review of Burberry Sport for Men, my hope that a better and longer-lasting version of Tabarome's top notes (or something similar) exists were raised:

"Today, I smelled Burberry Sport Men at Galeries Lafayette in Paris and I smirked to myself. Instinct told me that this fragrance came from the big 3 because there were special captive raw materials creating special effects outside of the general perfumer’s palette. Then my nose isolated a few familiar Givaudan raw materials/bases. Then I isolated the good quality ginger...

it is fantastic really. The aromatic and fresh, woody top notes are electric and exciting and you have an excellent accord that works..."

http://jaimeleparfum.wordpress.com/

Anyone tried this one yet?

Default Re: Is this the ultimate men's ginger frag ?

many people like envy for men by gucci as a ginger frag, i have no idea about that, though.
    Last edited by justaguy; 5th March 2010 at 06:06 AM.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

I have to say I usually find the "ginger" notes in perfumes to be awfully artificial and far from capturing the zing of real ginger root. In that respect Jo wood's (all natural organic) Usiku really stands out. It's palpable natural ginger, and the cardamom really blends in nicely. Typical natural lasting power, and subtle sillage, but nothing icky or bland comes afterwards, so you reapply.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I love the smell of fresh cut ginger root.
    Always have, since I first smelled it.

Even before I found out that perfumes have "notes", I knew that Ginger smelled like some aspects of my favorite fragrances. I always smelled some of it my middle-school favorite, Polo Sport, in Baryshnikov Sport(IceMen fans try this), and also some in the original Michael Jordan cologne, which i still like to this day.

A few more I like it in are Maitre Bois Du Turquie, M7 Fresh, Original Vetiver, Erolfa.

But now, after having smelled thousands of fragrances, my favorite use of it is in Creed's Green Valley. They use the same note in Tab Millesime, but I think it's perfect in Green Valley.

You might want to try Zirh's signature scent.

Kenzo Tokyo is awesome but it doesn't last at all.

I want to see what Commes de Garcons would create if given a brief for a ginger dominant fragrance.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Ginger is expertly used in creeds vetiver 48.
    -

YSL L'homme as much as you wont want to believe it!

Le Dandy by Parfums D'Orsay has a nice strong ginger middle note...yet, no, the Comte d'Orsay was not a perfumer, the company was just named after him...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

My best ginge is PG Un Crime Exotique , bloomin lovely

I love ginger. I got a bottle of Gucci's Envy for Men recently and that's just pure class. Extremely sophisticated.

I'm pretty sure there's a strong ginger note in Varvatos Artisan. It's actually the big selling point IMO (besides the bottle)
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

It's very light but one of my favorite straight-up ginger scents is Roger & Gallet Eau de Gingembre.

Gucci Envy and Carven Homme are pretty good too. The Bulgari Blus are decent but come across like so much baby powder.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 5th March 2010 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Ginger is expertly used in creeds vetiver 48.
    I agree with you.

Jack Black Blue Mark has a very strong aromatic/spicy ginger note.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

BLV Pour Homme is another that features ginger front and center. I wear it principally in hot weather.

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post
    BLV Pour Homme is another that features ginger front and center. I wear it principally in hot weather.
    I found it to be quite "soapy", almost like Prada Amber but obviously a little fresher and less floral... am I in the right ballpark or way off?
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 5th March 2010 at 04:42 PM.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Eau de Gingembre..Roger & Gallet..Get it before It's gone forever! Light refreshing, easy to wear so spray away.
    Herrera for Men Refreshing Ginger..Tough find, but well worth the search!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Envy for Men
    Must PH/Essence Must PH
    Richard James
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I found it to be quite "soapy", almost like Prada Amber but obviously a little fresher and less floral... am I in the right ballpark or way off?
    I didn't really get much "fresh" out of Blu or Blu Notte - more like gingery baby powder. Prada Amber is far more fresh and soapy.

I have been looking for a good ginger scent that smells like fresh ginger. I absolutely love the top notes of Origins' Ginger scent but very poor longevity.

I found a bottle of Ted Baker Endurance on e-bay and was really wowed by the ginger note.

Cliniques Chemistry might be of interest because of the ginger.

I don't really smell ginger in Envy, and I've had the same bottle since 2000 or so. But Tabarome, I LOVE the initial smell, then it just... disappears. I've had to go with the spray, 10 minutes later, re-apply and then it lasts all day that way...

Chemistry was listed, I don't smell ginger in it until the very end. I wasn't a big fan of it until one time I had to take a trip, and halfway through the trip, loved it ever since.

I don't like Envy for men at all (seems like a lavender/amber/spice/cedar thing that really nauseates me), Refreshing Ginger is too woody, and I found Blv Notte Pour Homme to be a nauseating mess. I remember Un Crime Exotique to be like a cannoli, and not pleasant. In short, I want something like the top notes of the new Tabarome, but with longevity. Hopefully, I can get a sample of this new Burberry Sport at Sephora or Macy's in the next month or two. I'll report back about it if I can get one.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 5th March 2010 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    I want to see what Commes de Garcons would create if given a brief for a ginger dominant fragrance.
    CdG Series 6: Synthetic Soda is ginger-dominant, although it's more the ginger of ginger ale and ginger candy. Very wearable.

I truly hate ginger in fragrance, most of the times. HATE it in L'Homme, HATE it in Envy. I only like it in two fragrances, Mark Buxton Black Angel and SL Five O'Clock Au Gingembre. Probably because both of those don't present the sharp ginger that most others do.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Chemistry was listed, I don't smell ginger in it until the very end. I wasn't a big fan of it until one time I had to take a trip, and halfway through the trip, loved it ever since.
    How different our reactions can be... I smell ginger almost immediately.
    Chemistry is not one of my absolute favourites, but it is an excellent fragrance in its genre and seems to be both underrated and underpromoted.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    How different our reactions can be... I smell ginger almost immediately.
    Chemistry is not one of my absolute favourites, but it is an excellent fragrance in its genre and seems to be both underrated and underpromoted.
    I found Chemistry, much like it's namesake, to be artificial and chemically. It seems to rub me the wrong way much like Antidote does.

Burberry Sport for men;sampled this one yesterday.The ginger in the topnotes is on then heavy side;unmistakeble ginger,thats a fact.Then, very soon after the ginger blast,sometingh woody takes the ginger away,and after about two hours comes the turn to a nice musky smell,a bit peppery,wich go's on and on almost as long as you want(ISO E??)Overall its a very different scent,longlasting, but unfortunately the best notes in it have a short lifespan, and when I want musk there are 1000 other scents waiting outside.So I will test it a few times more,because the first impression is not always the best...

Sisley's Eau No. 3 is my preferred ginger frag. It smells like high class ginger ale.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post
    I agree, Blv the most gingery scent I own, and I mainly wear it in warm weather.

I'm surprised that Envy is getting so many mentions as a ginger scent. The ginger in it pretty much escapes my notice.
    Renato

Thanks, sniff. It sounds like this new frag isn't FBW for me, but if I can sample it at a store, I will, because of the supposed new molecule being used.

Origins Ginger Burst may not appeal to the fragrance snobs, but it's almost entirely ginger. Give it a shot.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by cannotavoidtrite View Post
    I have been looking for a good ginger scent that smells like fresh ginger. I absolutely love the top notes of Origins' Ginger scent but very poor longevity.
    ^What he said^

I love this Lush Ginger. Bought it for my wife, but I wear it more than she does now..
    http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products...ginger-perfume
    Last edited by scentaddiction; 8th March 2010 at 04:54 AM.