Code of Conduct

Question Which scent has the highest positive:negative review ratio?

I guess we have to add +1 to the negative review so we aren't dividing by zero.

Default Re: Which scent has the highest positive:negative review ratio?

shud be A*men

I don't know, going off of the Most Reviewed quickly, isn't it Chanel Antaeus?
    Last edited by dynendal; 6th November 2008 at 06:23 PM.

If you are talking about a true ratio, then there are several with no negatives. One I know of right offhand is Nemo.
    Another one I own is CdG Kyoto, it's got one negative.

But really, this "hobby" is so very subjective, you may find you like frags that have a fairly high proportion of negatives.
    To each his own.
    Last edited by JonB; 6th November 2008 at 06:51 PM.

To each his own is my thinking about scents. Price also should not come into play. I like the Caron mens line and have found that one can purchase, say, Third Man very reasonably. I also like some of the Malle's or Lutens or even a few of the Creeds which come into the other end of the pricing spectrum. One necessarily is not better than the other. Your nose shall be the judge. IMO
    Last edited by richard d; 6th November 2008 at 07:22 PM.

M7 Fresh? Versace Black Jeans?
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

As I mentioned in a recent, similar thread, Nemo has no negatives and only one neutral; everything else is favorable.

There were several responses by B'noters who mentioned several other all-positive reviews as well. See "I Found It! A Scent with No Negatives!" on page 7 or 8, I believe. Those named are obviously in the running, though I doubt they're the only ones.
    Last edited by Butthead53; 6th November 2008 at 09:39 PM.

Smile Re: Which scent has the highest positive:negative review ratio?

There are many colognes with 0 negative reviews, but a 27:0 ratio is the same as 1:0 ratio. That's why I think it's important to add +1 to the negative. Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme has a 27:1 positive:negative ratio as of right now. Being fair to the 0 negative fragrances, add 1 to the negative review. VC&A PH has a final ratio of 13.5:1.

An easier way to do it is subtract the negatives from the positives.

D&G PH has the best in that case, second best being Envy.

Dolce & Gabanna By Man has a pretty good ratio too. 31:1, and the negative aint that negative
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Aramis Havana is 37:2, but I can't imagine why anyone does not like this fantastic juice.

The entire notion of the review ratios being relevant as demonstrating how a fragrance is considered is flawed. If you're like me, you don't always bother writing a review if you don't like a fragrance. Often there are fragrances I don't personally like, but at the same time I can acknowledge their quality and that it's just my personal preference at play. Unless there is something glaringly wrong with a fragrance, I don't take the time to wear and analyze a fragrance I don't like. On the other hand, if I like an item, I'll be motivated to share my thoughts about it. I can't be the only one who approaches reviews like this.

Since we're talking stats, even a just 1 or 2 (or less) of those who review fragrances approach reviews like I do, the ratios aren't accurate representations of what people think of a fragrance. Samplermike used to always crow about how this and that Creed had better positive/negative ratio than another fragrance, therefore that proves it's 'better' (as if one fragrance can be 'better' then another). That was one of the stupider ideas I've seen on BN.

Wink Re: Which scent has the highest positive:negative review ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by supracuhz View Post
    M7 Fresh? Versace Black Jeans?
    I think M7 Fresh has the best ratio currently.

Better than a ratio, just look at percent positives.

Perhaps a better question, which has the worst. I remember seeing various questions similar to the one asked here, in fact one last week I think. I don't, however, remember seeing any question trying to find the undeniable WORST scent on basenotes. With the higest negative to positive ratio. Now that might provide some wasted time right there.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    The entire notion of the review ratios being relevant as demonstrating how a fragrance is considered is flawed. If you're like me, you don't always bother writing a review if you don't like a fragrance. Often there are fragrances I don't personally like, but at the same time I can acknowledge their quality and that it's just my personal preference at play. Unless there is something glaringly wrong with a fragrance, I don't take the time to wear and analyze a fragrance I don't like. On the other hand, if I like an item, I'll be motivated to share my thoughts about it. I can't be the only one who approaches reviews like this.
    I agree with you. I think I've only written one really negative review, and that was for the absolute worst scent I've ever come across.

I've certainly written some negative things to do with short longevity and a scent not being masculine enough. But I tend to stay clear of saying a scent is bad because I don't like some notes - since the perfumer obvioulsy liked it and I can see from other reviews that others liked them - I'd feel a bit grandiose saying a scent is bad just because the notes don't go down well with me.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Better than a ratio, just look at percent positives.
    I agree the percentage of positives is probably the most instructive way to grade the reviews, at least of fragrances that are particularly well received.

It doesn't really apply to most that are generally liked though, because these tend to take about 65% positive, give or take. If the positives start to get near or above 70%, that is rare.

Having said that, it is interesting to see the fragrances that are the most reviewed, positive or negative, as this is telling.
    Measure twice. Cut once.

Escada PH has an amazing ratio 48:1

Yup Escada pH was my first thought.

Azzaro PH wins for frags with over 100 ratings: 116 positive to 8 negative