Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which of these two fragrances would you most like to see advance? Select one from each group only.

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • (Group A) Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

64 70.33%
  • (Group A) Calvin Klein Obsession

20 21.98%
  • (Group B) Davidoff Cool Water

38 41.76%
  • (Group B) Boucheron Jaipur Homme

48 52.75%
  • (Group C) Dior Eau Sauvage

50 54.95%
  • (Group C) Chanel Coromandel

25 27.47%
  • (Group D) Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet

18 19.78%
  • (Group D) Chanel Egoiste

65 71.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Blog Entries

Default BMM10: 3/6 Games 17-20 (Ambre Sultan, Cool Water, Egoiste, Obsession, and more)

Basenotes March Madness 2010

Games 17-20
    (Round 1)
    Poll ends March 7.

(2) Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan vs. (15) Calvin Klein Obsession
    (7) Davidoff Cool Water vs. (10) Boucheron Jaipur Homme
    (5) Christian Dior Eau Sauvage vs. (12) Chanel Coromandel
    (7) Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet vs. (10) Chanel Egoiste

Most recent bracket:

(Click bracket for full size.)

Poll will close in 24 hours, vote which fragrance you'd like to see advance to Round 2. Vote for one fragrance from each group only, voting for both is statistically the same as not voting at all.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Default Re: BMM10: 3/6 Games 17-20 (Ambre Sultan, Cool Water, Egoiste, Obsession, and more)

The Zeitgeist Sez...

Predictions:

(7) Tauer L'Air Du Desert Marocain def. (10) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Gucci Envy def. (14) Thierry Mugler B*Men
    (5) Creed Bois du Portugal def. (12) Burberry London
    (1) Yves Saint Laurent Kouros def. (16) Tom Ford Black Orchid

Standings:
    Maximum Score Possible 17
    The Zeitgeist 15

zliang 17
    an_oud_girl 16
    Asha 15
    flannelman 15
    timaru 15
    gupts 15
    wicozani 15
    DocmanCC 14
    rogalal 14
    mrcologneguy 14
    surreality 13
    mudassir 13
    TwoRoads 13
    Royal 13
    Buddy97 13
    the_good_life 13
    Furriner 13
    Bluesoul 12
    JaimeB 12
    veuve amiot 12
    Exquisitely Me 12
    telecaster 12
    jacona 12
    robpgmc 12
    kbe 11
    Roryj 7

(The Zeitgeist is the "spirit of the time", and his picks are the picks of the majority in all rounds, as an experiment to see if the majority pick in every round is more likely to be correct than any individual's picks. In other words, "Is all of us smarter than one of us?")
    The Zeitgeist has spoken.

Default Re: BMM10: 3/6 Games 17-20 (Ambre Sultan, Cool Water, Egoiste, Obsession, and more)

Whoa, these are quite tough.

You've got to be kidding me - I know GIT is more approved but Cool Water behind by 100% ???

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    You've got to be kidding me - I know GIT is more approved but Cool Water behind by 100% ???
    Well, Blenheim Bouquet also disappoints me. I thought Egoiste's current reformulation doesn't live up the expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Well, Blenheim Bouquet also disappoints me. I thought Egoiste's current reformulation doesn't live up the expectations.
    I also put my hopes in BB but rather because of personal preference than calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    Looks like Cool Water decided to join the game!

Could Blenheim Bouquet be saved?

Wow. Eau Sauvage vs. Coromandel was the most difficult decision yet. I went with Coromandel even though ES is what I own.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

I opted for Eau Sauvage over Coromandel, because the latter is not such an established classic yet, as well as very costly and thus probably less popular. Blenheim seemed a bit too left-field to win, if you're less Anglocentric than I am perfumewise ). I thought Cool Water would win hands down, though.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Obsession or Obsession for men? Similar in the previous round ..was it Envy or Envy for men. Complete names please. I am sure we have women voting here as well ... it would be better if candidates didn't get free votes.
    -

C'mon Cool Water! I like you less than Jaipur, but I know you're more popular!

I'm very surprised with the Cool Water & Jaipur match up.

I think the voting dynamic is different this year. Last year was an out and out popularity contest. This year voting seems restrained and contemplative.

I thought Jaipur would win because most people rave over the EdP, while cool water has been reformulated to a shadow of its former self...

Now this is what I'm talking about! Finally, I feel comfortable participating in all 4 matchups, and feel strongly about all 4. Unfortunately it looks like Coromandel is going to lose due to it's lack of availability, because other than nostalgia, and perhaps influence I don't see any way that Coromandel and Eau Savage can be compared. I'm very surprised at the support for Egoiste, I've only recently been gifted with a decant of it, and IMO, there is simply nothing attractive about it, TBH it's actually sort of ghastly stuff. Acidic, musty rose, over pale sandalwood. Where's the complexity? Where's the smoothness? Apparently this is just my opinion though, Blenheim Bouquet is one of the fragrances I hold with the highest esteem, and I don't even particularly care for it. Oh well....
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Now this is what I'm talking about! Finally, I feel comfortable participating in all 4 matchups, and feel strongly about all 4. Unfortunately it looks like Coromandel is going to lose due to it's lack of availability, because other than nostalgia, and perhaps influence I don't see any way that Coromandel and Eau Savage can be compared. I'm very surprised at the support for Egoiste, I've only recently been gifted with a decant of it, and IMO, there is simply nothing attractive about it, TBH it's actually sort of ghastly stuff. Acidic, musty rose, over pale sandalwood. Where's the complexity? Where's the smoothness? Apparently this is just my opinion though, Blenheim Bouquet is one of the fragrances I hold with the highest esteem, and I don't even particularly care for it. Oh well....

very nice post!

I'm sure some of the bad rating for CW is due to the constant annoying battle between it and GIT, but I dont want to be a bad loser. In the end I simply like this frag and consider the apparent outcome to be undeserved.
    talking about everso for K!0, where's SirSlarty when one needs him

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Obsession or Obsession for men? Similar in the previous round ..was it Envy or Envy for men. Complete names please. I am sure we have women voting here as well ... it would be better if candidates didn't get free votes.
    They're always either men's or unisex, so Obsession For Men and Envy For Men, not that I think it'd make a ton of difference in either of those two cases.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Blog Entries

And I've gotta admit, I'm a bit disappointed, I know Jaipur doesn't have that kind of a following so people are simple voting against Cool Water and it doesn't deserve that kind of treatment, IMO.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Blog Entries

I voted for Jaipur and Egoiste.

Polls open until 10:57 PST!