Code of Conduct

Default My apologies to Azzaro Homme...

In another thread I'd dismissed it as a profoundly dated stench, reeking of '70s machismo and Brylcreemed executives, based on one sniff on my wrist at a department store (and then a couple of sniffs later that day to reaffirm my inital judgment). But it stuck in the back of my mind as something to eventually come back to and re-evaluate; the peppery topnotes and overall woodsy character intrigued me, and I'd heard all the raves from BNers and experts like Luca Turin. Yesterday I found a 30ml bottle at the the drugstore, wasn't impressed with any of the other testers I'd tried (besides Sarah Jessica Parker's Lovely...go figure, something I'd totally wear in the girliest packaging since Pink Sugar), and decided to go for it. If I still loathed it, I'd either return it or keep it around for reference.

The '70s-aftershave, smells-like-my-dad effect is still there (possibly because my father wore Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, to which APH is frequently compared), but it's no longer the first thing I notice. Rather, I'm struck by the delicious aniseed and lavender notes, followed by this incredibly dense pine/leafy middle section with a burning cedar undertone. From what I've read, the base is composed primarily of ambergris and tonka, neither of which I've smelled on their own. All I know is that I'd like Glade to make some ambergris-and-tonka air fresheners, and scented candles, and fabric softener sheets, because I cannot get enough of this drydown. It's so fresh and woody but without that overly-sanitized feel of every other "fresh", "woody" fragrance out there. APH is simple, elemental, and incredibly well-composed. I can see it hitting the spot on those days when I'm not feeling up to my usual gender-bending orientals or mossy freshies and just want something grounding, sharp, and masculine. When worn properly (ie. lightly), APH flits right past its "dated" connotations and plops down firmly in the realm of the fresh, charming, and sophisticated. Color me converted.
    Last edited by subhuman85; 6th March 2010 at 07:17 AM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My apologies to Azzaro Homme...

Welcome to the club, subhuman85.

Although you say it is simple and elemental, ApH is said to have been composed of 320 ingredients!

I hope you enjoy your new ApH for a long time, just like i do.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Old classics never die , nor should they be dismissed .
    Good to hear your enjoying it .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I tried it in my wrist 3 days ago and I didn't like it, smells like a shaving foam to me,but my wife liked it (quite surprised of that).Maybe I'll give another try.

classic you just have to appreciate! I can understand that some ppl don't like it.

I too had the "What's the big deal - this smells like generic 70s cologne" reaction at first. I'm glad I stuck around for the drydown to see what all of the fuss was about. I think it's a fantastic fragrance. And such exemplary technical properties, too!

I would be very curious to know how many of those who dismiss Azzaro PH have really experienced its complete life cycle.

I bought Azzaro blind on the recommendations of other basenoters, many of whom speak highly of it. The first two wears, I considered trading it or giving it away. What I found to be somewhat unpleasant was that I felt the anise note was too strong. The lavender was pleasant, but it was offset by the anise. Having owned it for over 6 months now, I have somewhat changed my mind. I by far prefer the lavender and anise accord in Francesco Smalto by Francesco Smalto, which I would recommend you try sometime ---> http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?d...scussionid=403 . I have gotten used to the lavender/anise accord in Azzaro PH, and I am growing to enjoy it more with every wearing. What you said is quite true, subhuman85, "when worn properly," it really doesn't smell at all dated, but quite elegant! I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it too!

I too bought Azzaro Pour Homme blind on the recommendation of BNers and Luca Turin. Its very cheap in London. I found a 100ml for just £19.99!
    After an initial spray on my wrists I was unsure but it was until the next day when I sprayed it to my chest that its true magnificence hit me.
    I don't know what people here feel but I find that some fragrances can have a completely different character when sprayed to the chest rather then the wrists.
    APH, Eau Sauavage Extreme, Habit Rouge.......all react, to my nose at least, in a very different way when applied sparingly to the chest. On my wrists some fragrances seem to have trouble settling. Funny wrists i guess!

I'm one of the biggest fans of APH, but even with me it wasn't love at first sniff.

It was love at second sniff for me!
    Last edited by shamu1; 6th March 2010 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjcr View Post
    I too bought Azzaro Pour Homme blind on the recommendation of BNers and Luca Turin. Its very cheap in London. I found a 100ml for just £19.99!
    After an initial spray on my wrists I was unsure but it was until the next day when I sprayed it to my chest that its true magnificence hit me.
    I don't know what people here feel but I find that some fragrances can have a completely different character when sprayed to the chest rather then the wrists.
    APH, Eau Sauavage Extreme, Habit Rouge.......all react, to my nose at least, in a very different way when applied sparingly to the chest. On my wrists some fragrances seem to have trouble settling. Funny wrists i guess!
    I couldn't have said it any better, brother! Azzaro PH is pretty dull just sitting on your wrist. You need to wear it.

Most powerhouse fragrances are like that.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mjcr View Post
    ...but it was until the next day when I sprayed it to my chest that its true magnificence hit me....
    This has been discussed in another thread, but the chest seems to be the best place to apply frags if one wants to enjoy it one's self. This is the same reason why anti-cold balms are recommended to be applied to the chest, so the vapours from the warmed-up chest can waft upwards to the nose.

#BBOG!

When I first tried it, I was immediately aware of its quality ambergris base. I now only own a miniature with these writings on its box - 'A dash of humour, a hint of defiance and a touch of elegance, that's the magical cocktail I have chosen for AZZARO POUR HOMME' - which to me, cannot be more true of the character of this exquisite scent.
    Why only own a miniature, though? Chiefly because I like scents that have more dynamism in character, which though in a way, if interpreted correctly, does exist in APH, comes more strongly with Tuscany per Uomo which I view as an updated, silkier, more majestic APH. And also because first impressions do count, which is to say, the tasteless crowds of our society do indeed lack the sensitivity and romantic ideals of basenoters to recognise the emergence of a truly beauteous work of art.
    Why do I not hold Tuscany per Uomo with higher esteem, but instead an equal to APH? Because while the art of Tuscany per Uomo lies in its masterful delivery of an olfactive equivalent of being in the embrace of extravagant thick silk, APH preserves the original vision of its maker - wit, and the subtle hint of a defiant heart.

APH is one of my "standard values" whenever I think of timelessly classic frag, that's all I have to say.

There's no such thing as dated frags, only dated minds.

Happy to hear you gave an old dog another chance!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    There's no such thing as dated frags, only dated minds.
    Words etched in gold!

#BBOG!

Glad so many are enjoying this Great Frag, it's very special

wasn't impressed at all the first time i smelled this one...didn't really want to come back to it. A couple of days ago i saw a couple of 30ml/ 1 fl oz bottles in a convient store for about $ 4,00. I bought two bottles and i'm strating to appreciate it a little more. I going through a fougere/powerhouse phase right now so it's good to have it in my collection.
    Knize Ten !

I'm wearing it today, in honor of this thread.

Hey Pontifex Maximus, come join us at the Powerhouse fragrance users Group

Basenotes Institution

I ended up hating it, since my brother wore it to death, when I was growing up.

Maybe I should smell it again, one of these days?

As I've said before, I wish I could enjoy strong lavender, but then again I'd probably have at least another 50 bottles !

I never considered myself a particular fan of lavender, either, as my idea of lavender was the kind found in bubble bath gels and air fresheners - ie. soapy and powdery. The lavender of aromatic fougéres is another beast entirely: sharp, strong, complex.

I'm truly shocked at how much my opinion of APH has turned around. Each time I wear it, I love it more. The "old-man's scent" impressions are almost gone; now all my nose (and brain) registers is that gorgeous woody freshness and the subdued, sophisticated drydown, which reminds me of CK Be (my previous "fresh" favorite). Perhaps this means I'm ready to re-approach my other hate-at-first-sniff scent, Dior's Fahrenheit...
    Last edited by subhuman85; 8th March 2010 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    Perhaps this means I'm ready to re-approach my other hate-at-first-sniff scent, Dior's Fahrenheit...
    I wouldn't count on it, subhuman85. I love Azzaro PH, and I still hate Fahrenheit! I don't smell any similarities at all. Fahrenheit is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I wouldn't count on it, subhuman85. I love Azzaro PH, and I still hate Fahrenheit! I don't smell any similarities at all. Fahrenheit is horrible.
    I love how different we all are. I WANT to love Azzaro, but I don't, can't, whatever. I find it very cloying, stuffy, and uninteresting. I have tried it enough to lose 10 ml of my 50ml bottle, but I still have not found it pleasing. Fahrenheit, otoh, I loved on the first application, although I completely understand most people's aversion to its heady petrol stank. For some reason, it works for me.

Azzaro PH....I will continue to try, but I am still trying to get my membership to the club.