Code of Conduct

Default Shops and "secret" places in NZ

Prices can only be described as astronomical (niche perfumes), luxe frags can be bought for a reasonable price (look out for sales). For me, internet shopping rules my scented life. But if you are desperate to wrap your hands around the precious bottle, and cannot bear waiting for a parcel - read on!

Jo Malone boutique:
    Atrium on Takutai
    37 Te Ara Tāhuhu Walking Street
    Britomart
    Auckland CBD

Mecca Cosmetica - 128 Ponsonby Rd, Auckland. Stock - Serge Lutens, CDG, Rosines, and few others.
    Second store opened on Broadway (Auckland) opposite Smith & Caughey's

Smith & Caughey's - 253 - 261 Queen Street, Auckland City, Auckland
    and 225 Broadway, Newmarket, Auckland
    Stock varies between stores. Good for luxe frags during semi-annual sale and seasonal specials.

World Beauty - 35 Vulcan Lane, CBD, Auckland / 175 Ponsonby Road, Auckland / 85 Victoria Street, Wellington
    Good for newer and less known niche perfumes, as well as old and harder to find classics. Love the shop - an eclectic collection of beautiful objects.

Ballantynes - Corner of Colambo st and City Mall. Stock - luxe frags, including Sisley.
    Last edited by Blue_Eyez; 17th June 2011 at 04:36 AM.

Default Re: Shops and "secret" places in NZ

Thanks for the list. I didn't know about Tissuti and Jo Malone. I only discovered World Beauty a few weeks ago. I agree with you on prices. I do feel slightly guilty about using the local store's testers and then ordering online, but when it's often half the cost, I feel justified.

Is Ballantynes in Christchurch? I'd love to sample Eau de Campagne by Sisley, but I haven't seen it in Auckland.

Hey there,

and being based in NZ but ordering online, which sites have you found the best to use when ordering? I only really know of one which was recommended, thats strawberrynet. Thanks for the list. I love popping into Ballantynes and wandering round the fragrance section.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the list. I will be visiting family in Christchurch at the end of the year with my girlfriend / parents. We plan to have a couple of days in Auckland and will be sure to check some of these out. Found World Beauty in Wellington when we were over last Xmas / New Year - great place.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 10th June 2010 at 12:55 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hmacinn View Post
    Is Ballantynes in Christchurch?
    It is indeed - and well worth a visit.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 10th June 2010 at 12:53 PM.

Ballantynes - a while back, maybe a year ago, there was a wonderful young male empoyee working at the Dior stand, so helpful, I always meant to go back when I had more time to chat perfume with him so he could help me pick a new one, I wonder if he's still there. Better go check soon!
    Last edited by songstress3; 11th June 2010 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks Blue-Eyez. World Beauty sounds awesome; I must pay it a visit next time I'm in Auckland city. I've been to Mecca on Ponsonby Road. They have a few niche fragrances. Do your research before you go there though as the shop assistant I spoke with seemed to know very little about perfume. I too shop mostly at strawberrynet.com - they have a huge variety and very good prices that are often better than duty-free prices. Plus they often have awesome specials - I've just ordered Cuir by Lancome at 60% off.

Hey Guys,

I find Essentialmall.co.nz a good and safe website to buy from. Interestingly, their pricing seems to mirror the strawberrynet price movements, but still winds up slightly cheaper in the exchange rate. They're based in melbourne, but orders only take about a week to get to you, and delivery is standard no matter the quantity you order, at $9.95.

I have no complaints about Luckyscent shipping to NZ. 3 days for samples and about a week for bottles. No customs hassles, and the only time I had a sample breakage they replaced them, no questions asked.

Anyone know if Creed is sold anywhere in NZ?

I also recommend Ballantynes in Christchurch. Never been disappointed there.

As for Luxe fragrances, I find that when Farmers Stores have a sale, their prices are very similar to the likes of Strawberry.net & co., (if not better).

Just saw today that Kirkcaldie's in Wgtn have started stocking Diptyque (huge amount of signage out the front). $150 for 50ml, so comparable to shipping from somewhere like Luckyscent.

Sorry ladies and gents, I have been neglecting this thread for a while...

New Mecca Cosmetica shop added to the location list (see my very first post updated).

For those who shop online, I suggest www.fragrancex.com - free shipping and lowest prices possible. Delivery may take up to 3 weeks, but I can live with it.

Just a word of warning about FragranceX. Yes their prices are low but avoid their Free Shipping Offer, give it the widest berth possible. Goods they shipped to me in November never arrived, after a lot of inconvenience I laid a complaint with Better Business Bureau.com. FragranceX then refunded my money, an action they were reluctant to do until the intervention of BBB.COM. I have since reordered the fragrances from Beauty Encounter.com, their prices are about the same but no free shipping. The parcel arrived 7 days after the order was placed and it was completely traceable through the internet.

Ok, after my last post on the site, I was in Ballantynes testing perfume on Feb 22nd, had just sprayed Paco Rabanne 1 Million on left arm and Versace Crystal Noir on right, sniffed it and was just stepping away from the counter when the massive earthquake that has changed our city Christchurch, New Zealand forever hit. Ballantynes was fine, but my friend Matti (RIP) further down the street in the same block of buildings, did not make it out alive (along with a good many others). RIP.
    Now, though through the chaos and stress hormones etc that followed straight after, running across city in ruins to find my family members, I was accompanied by Versace Crystal Noir. I haven't smelled it again yet, but am still thinking of it as my 'lucky' perfume, because if I had just been outside of the perfume building and a few metres away, I could have been crushed under falling bricks (some were). So, maybe that decides it: it will be next on my purchase list.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by songstress3 View Post
    Ok, after my last post on the site, I was in Ballantynes testing perfume on Feb 22nd, had just sprayed Paco Rabanne 1 Million on left arm and Versace Crystal Noir on right, sniffed it and was just stepping away from the counter when the massive earthquake that has changed our city Christchurch, New Zealand forever hit. Ballantynes was fine, but my friend Matti (RIP) further down the street in the same block of buildings, did not make it out alive (along with a good many others). RIP.
    Now, though through the chaos and stress hormones etc that followed straight after, running across city in ruins to find my family members, I was accompanied by Versace Crystal Noir. I haven't smelled it again yet, but am still thinking of it as my 'lucky' perfume, because if I had just been outside of the perfume building and a few metres away, I could have been crushed under falling bricks (some were). So, maybe that decides it: it will be next on my purchase list.
    I really feel for you having lost someone you know. My sister and her husband both live in Christchurch and I was there three and a half weeks before the quake with my girlfriend and parents. My brother-in-laws parents were in the cathedral a minute or so before it happened and were crossing the square at the time. He had the same experience as you did trying to find them and saw some harrowing scenes in the process. I really admire the way the city has pulled together and achieved so much already in the face of adversity though obviously there is still a long road ahead.
    Purchase and enjoy your lucky scent and rest assured that our thoughts will be with you all. Take care.

Isabel Harris - Shop 3, 1 Teed Street , Newmarket, Auckland 1023. This place has some smelly stuff, but they no longer offer perfumes. You can get plenty of scented candles there - Diptique is one of the brands they stock.

Karen Walker - 15 O'Connell Street, CBD, Auckland - Ecsentric Molecules

Fabric - 5 High Street, CBD Auckland - CdG. Not a full range, but they stock more CdG perfumes than anyone in town. Planning to drop some pennies there
    Last edited by Blue_Eyez; 2nd April 2011 at 05:00 AM.

Tissuti in Ponsonby is gone.

Never been here, but here's a new and the only Jo Malone store in New Zealand

Atrium on Takutai
    37 Te Ara Tāhuhu Walking Street
    Britomart
    Auckland CBD

Isabel Harris now is stocking Miller Harris frags

nzkiwi,

Yes, they've moved. Right now they are offering hand massage and a free fragrance sample of your choice.

Where can I find some Creed samples in Auckland? Seems like every fragrance store I go to only has designer frags L

Quote Originally Posted by songstress3 View Post
    hey songstress, glad you're ok. I was also in Ballantynes during the EQ. I had just exited the Lichfield St Car Park elevator and was about to make my way upstairs in the menswear section when the shockwave hit us. What an absolute ripper it was!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGentlemanGrappler View Post
    Where can I find some Creed samples in Auckland? Seems like every fragrance store I go to only has designer frags L
    I am also looking for this info!
    MikeD on Chaz by Revlon: "I knew a lady who took one sniff and said "bug spray." I never told the guy what she said, but the termites disappeared, oddly enough."

Have not seen any creed fragrances in NZ. Have some samples, if you are interested

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Eyez View Post
    Have not seen any creed fragrances in NZ. Have some samples, if you are interested
    I live in Auckland, NZ Do PM me, really interested in Creed fragrances. The fragrance availability in NZ is miserable!

CDG Line is stocked at a place called Plume in Dunedin. A fellow basenoter put me onto it. In the way of creed any places to sample in NZ? Otherwise I might just get flacons of the big names (GIT, MI and Aventus) and split them if people would be interested?

"Zambezi" in Vulcan Lane, Auckland stocks Costume National

World Beauty added to their range Amuage (three frags), four Creeds - two for girls and two for boys.

Mecca cosmetica now has Byredo, about 4 frags I think.

Resurrected this thread.

Just found out something really amazing.

Passion for paper in Auckland stocks Santa Maria Novella.

http://www.passionforpaper.co.nz/aboutus.htm

!!!

Fabric in Auckland and Plume in Christchurch have a big range of CDG perfumes (Mecca has quite a few too, just not the incense/leaves/red series nor does it have the 2011 EDP, Daphe, Luxe... etc).

YAY.

Bond No. 9 is coming too!

Hello NZers! A Wellingtonian here.

This is a great thread.

First, songstress, I'm so glad you're OK. Our hearts went out to you all in Chch and still do!
    I've depended for some time now on fragrancex.com. Trademe can throw up some good perfume buys once in a while. There's a trader who does a broad range of testers.

Wellington is a bit of a perfume desert except for the usuals. There's a shop next to the Dominion Post building in Willis Street which sells "discount" frags, some OOP now. Not really inexpensive, but perhaps useful for that otherwise hard-to-find something.

Have a beautifully-scented day, confreres!

I'm moving to Auckland so will enjoy checking out Ponsnoby rd :-) and all the other recommended places.

Comme De Garcon is stocked VERY reasonably at Plume on George Street in Dunedin. I'll recheck it out today as I haven't been for a while but off memory they are about $135 for the line and they carry the incense line as well as the others.

Just thought of another retail outlet in Auckland. Galleria Duty Free in CBD - Customs street opposite Downtown Westfield shopping centre. This is a great spot if you want to unhurriedly explore, test and buy luxe fragrances BEFORE flying out. The DFS will deliver your purchases to Auckland airport for collection prior or after your trip.

I'm not sure if it is the same as the formerly listed Tissuti, but I recently visited Tessuti at 224 Jervois Road, Herne Bay, Auckland, where they stock a selection of L'Artisan Parfumeur fragrances and candles. They also sell online. From their web site, it appears they also have a shop on Kent Street, Newmarket.
    If you're a kiwi, check out the new NZ Bottle Split group at ProBoards.

World of Beauty in Vulcan Lane stocks 8-10 different L'Artisan's. 100ml bottles only. They also have more Lubin's than before.

Great to see the NZ Bottle Split group at ProBoards as set up above ...
    Last edited by SJRnz; 8th September 2012 at 03:54 AM.