Code of Conduct

Thread: Which one?

Default Which one?

I would like a new scent for spring and summer (if not all the year around as I live in Pensacola) that is very full of citrus and maybe some woods or grass in the dry down. I would like some longevity although I know citrus is not going to last all the day. I do not want that soapy smell as if it smells like soap (even good soap) my wife will turn her nose up like she does my Floris Special 127. Additionally, if a unisex scent I would prefer one that leans a little bit to the masculine side of things.

Right now I am looking at Harris' Citron Citron, Goutal's Eau du Sud, C&S Citrus Paradesi, and, L'Eau Nueve by Lubin. I know they are all different, yet they all have a huge NATURAL citrus component.

So what do you think about these? Is there another top notch one I am missing that I should consider? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    rgc

Default Re: Which one?

A few more worth trying are:

Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo - Citrus, spicy and woods
    Carthusia Uomo - Citrus and rosewood
    Bois 1920 classic - Citrus, green and woody

and my owm favourite for Summer bursting with citrus notes is Carthusia Mediterraneo

Among those you have listed, I would rate Citrus Paradisi the highest--though I don't know the Lubin. Czech & Speake's CP has, on my skin, unexpected longevity. In fact, I'm done with it before it's done with me: overnight. Keep in mind that while it's citrus, it is a pungent, slightly sour version. Grapefruit, I believe, is the big note. Should it turn out that CP is too strong--which is the case for me at times--you could move to Patricia de Nicolai's Balle de Match. I find it quite similar to CP but less potent and less persistent. Both are, in my opinion, clear masculines.

Eau du Sud, while unisex, leans slightly toward the masculine with its aromatic accord (balsam). I'd say it's less citrusy than its very popular neighbor, AG Eau d'Hadrien. If you liked this Annick Goutal, you could ramp up the longevity (while toning down the brightness) by using the EdP versions. AG labels the femme parfum and the homme absolu. But these labels are mere deference to sensitivities: as the website says, the EdP and Absolu are identical. (I can vouch for that: I just got the EdP to compare to my Absolu.)

I'll toss out one more frag with the caveat that it is costly: Profumum Acqua Viva. I like it for two reasons: the citrus is bright but not sharp, and the drydown is a warm cedar.

There's a lot of citrus out there and I'm sure others will have great ideas.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Creed's Royal Water. Lovely minty, cuminified citrus which does very well in the heat. My SotD tomorrow.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Sur la Plage

Eau du Sud is perfect!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks guys. I have tried the C&S and found it quite appealing and quite the possibility. I need to look at the Uomo and the PdN some more (although I thought I read somewhere that the PdN had a soapy quality to it).

The water of life sounds wonderful, however, it is more then I could afford right now. Most of the ones I am considering can be had new for less the $100 and found second hand at bargain prices.

I remember Montana "blue box" for men as having a lemony orange note that lasted a very long time. See:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121760.html
    Last edited by Bigsly; 6th March 2010 at 09:31 PM.

I love Eau de Sud as well as Eau d'Hadrien- both citrusy. Also love Calyx by Prescriptives.

L'Eau Neuve IMO

The Different Company's Bergamote is lovely. I get respectable longevity by allowing my clothes to catch some of the spray.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Dior's Dune pour Homme is a lemony scent,
    which will indeed last you all day..!

Good choices. Goutal and CS make quality products. Try a Guerlain eaux for super clear citrus and herbs.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

If you are still at it, you may also want to look at Miller Harris' Tangerine Vert. A citrus that lasts forever. I have also used Citron Citron, and also found it a very nice, long lasting citrus. Milller Harris does quality frags, in my book.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!