Code of Conduct

Default Alternative for Polo and Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Hello BaseNotes!

Can you guys give me some alternatives for Polo and Polo Blue?

Something that smells like this two fragrances, but more unique and sophisticated (if possible).

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Alternative for Polo and Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Nothing smells like the original Polo. You'll just have to settle for the best.

I've built myself a rather large cologne collection, so maybe I can give some insight. Ralph Lauren makes quality colognes, so it gets tricky to offer advice on your question. As for the original Polo, it is one of the most recognizable ones out there. Many might feel that the original Polo is a bit old fashioned. However, if this is the vibe you're going for, what more can you do? There is an updated Polo available called Modern Reserve. I can't really say if it makes sense to spend money for a bottle if you already have the original though. As for Polo Blue, this is more modern and a bit easier to work with. I know that some people think that there are similiarities with Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue. The nice think about Polo colognes is that you can easily sample their stuff in department stores. When you start looking at some of the more high-ended cologne makers (Creed, Tom Ford, etc.), you can spend over $100 for a bottle, so it is very difficult to justify a blind buy. Even finding samples of such frags at a reasonable price can be a chore. I would offer a couple of recommedations. Try going to a cologne outlet or department store and talk to the sales person, who can offer suggestions or give you plenty of chances to sample free of charge. Another approch would be to read reviews for your Polo frags on the directory and see what all they have to say. You can even select specific notes that you like most and try putting them into the seach engine that allows you to enter cologne notes and see what pops up.

Post Thanks / Like

ken cole black for men

Mustang by Dorall comes in a bottle that looks very similar, so I suspect a "clone" type of situation. However, I don't remember Polo because I sampled it so long ago. Mustang lists the notes as tobacco (leafy type), leather, and basil. It doesn't have strong lavender (if any), so I can enjoy it !

Thank you guys. If I happen to have some spare time, I'll try to do a search based on the olfactory family. Maybe I find some fragrances with similar structures.

Till there, any other alternatives you guys post here will be much appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Marduk, I'm a bit late here, but I will add a couple.

For an alternative to Polo, I say go for a bottle of Essencia de Loewe ( I hope I am spelling this right). Good pine scent with good longevity. I like it, but do not have a full bottle. Better for summer, or seemingly so to me.

For Polo Blue, go for a bottle of Givenchy Blue Label. This stuff is waaay better than Polo Blue longevity wise and projection as well. I once made a few people sick by dumping on too much, that is how I know But it is good, just don't dump a bottle on your self like I did Feels modern and youthful.

Hope that helps, and welcome to Basenotes.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Gotta agree that Givenchy blue label is an awesome frag. Keep in mind that Polo Blue is not really considered to be an aquatic. However, if you're game for a good aquatic, Blue Label is certainly a good starting point. Personally, I think that if you like the piney smell of Polo, just stick with Polo. Maybe try something that isn't necessarily piney. Most of the alternatives to Polo will probably be stuff that you won't be able to easily sample anyway, and you might end up with a big bottle of something dreadful.
    Maybe try a cedar frag, such as Jack Black Black Mark. For a sweet leather smell, maybe try Canali.

Thanks guys

Basenotes is the best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    There is an updated Polo available called Modern Reserve. I can't really say if it makes sense to spend money for a bottle if you already have the original though.
    As Brad stated, Modern Reserve is out, and its far more "wearable" and not as overbearing (intense).

As for Polo Blue, I am not as educated in that field (haven't found good aquatics/semiaquatics)

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I also second Polo Modern Reserve. It's really worth trying. I like it a lot.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I love Polo. However, I was extremely disappointed with Polo Modern Reserve. If you're looking for "Polo without balls", you may want to check it out. It's not something I would ever want in my wardrobe.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread