Code of Conduct

Default Cartier Santos Revisted

I never got round to buying this. Well, until recently.

What a beautiful fragrance.

Ok, granted the opening will strip your olfactory lobes of all senses for a few minutes.

But the heart notes and basenotes are absolutely divine. It's a bit like meeting a skull crushing heavyweight cage fighter and discovering that he loves his mum and is an expert in peonies.

This is a spectacularly well crafted fragrance of the old school, masculine but with a floral heart, strong but with a soft warm centre.

I've just ordered the Concentree version as a result.

Thoughts mes amis?
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Default Re: Cartier Santos Revisted

I bought a bottle last year and I like it, but everytime I sniff it, it gives me a stuffy nose.

It's from the Kouros era, and I find similarities in style. Big spicy cardamom note in this. I really wish it didn't screw with my sinuses. I find the Sport version interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I bought a bottle last year and I like it, but everytime I sniff it, it gives me a stuffy nose.

It's from the Kouros era, and I find similarities in style. Big spicy cardamom note in this. I really wish it didn't screw with my sinuses. I find the Sport version interesting.
    I used to wear Kouros but can't bring myself to wear it now, Santos is far more refined I think. As I said, I think you have to ignore the opening, it's what follows that makes it a special scent.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I'm a fan of the Concentree version. I find it vaguely similar to Versace L'Homme. Patchouli and Sandalwood in common I believe. Much more refined than Korous, yes.

It's quite nice. It's aged well for an older frag. Settles down a tad quieter than I would like.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 7th March 2010 at 12:40 AM.

Amazingly, I love this one on me. I love the patchouli in this. Although they are not similar, it reminds me of Heritage.
    Evenstar

I've only tried the regular Santos, and I was surprised at how much I like it. I'm not a big fan of Cartier scents. You're right, this is very old-school, and I actually find it has quite an "old and dusty" dark vibe to it that I find fascinating. It does smell dated, but that's a good thing in the case of Santos.

I too love the patchouli in this. It smells nice and dirty in Santos and gives it an edge in what otherwise could have been a pretty boring scent. I'll be buying this one in the future.

Santos has been a staple in my wardrobe since the 80's. The concentrée doesn't have the piercing opening of the regular version and is, well, a concentrated version which is deeper and lasts longer.

Cartier Santos comes, at least by the standards of a powerhouse fragrance fan like me, close to perfection

I mean, hardly ever did I find such a masterful and yet very effortless balance between some of the most soft, warm sensual notes in male fragrance industry, and yet in such an overt, but distinguished (as opposed to rugged or linear) manly way