Code of Conduct

Default Musky Morillas! Ethereal Ellena! Perfumers and their styles.

Some perfumers have certain stylistic preferences, notes, etc. that almost become their signature.

Name a perfumer and one of these signatures that you associate with them. Note that their signature may/need not be present in *every* one of their scents, but should be generally recognizable.

I'll start.

Alberto Morillas - I consider him the master of musk (although I can see how many may see him as a musk villian!). The bases of his scents are often filled with large doses of various musks, often laundry detergent'ish. He tends to produce designer oriented scents, but has produced some of the finest in the last 10-15 years, imo. Some notables are: AdG for Him, Versace PH, M7 [w/ Cavallier], 212, NR Essence, Mugler Cologne, Armani Vetiver Babylone, Colonia Intensa [w/ Francois Demachy])
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 7th March 2010 at 03:41 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Musky Morillas! Ethereal Ellena! Perfumers and their styles.

I didn't smell most of her creations yet, but according to those I did and the notes listed in the fragrances she made, Annick Menardo seems to well like the warmth in a fragrance, a bit gourmand but not nauseating, always well counterbalanced, I like that style ! Often vanilla note, and oriental spices.
    I agree with you about Alberto Morillas cleanish-laundry style made of, apparently, lot of varied musks. He produced some of my fav's and I'm always amazed at his interpretation of cleanliness, I like to "just smell clean" in an unique way.

Morillas is definitely the king of fresh - and he's quite good at making musk smell clean, in a unique way.

Francis Kurkdjian is all about emotion and drama for me. His fragrances tend to be so unique and bold, that they haunt you. Due to this, they don't strike me as everyday workhorse fragrances at all.

Pierre Bourdon is the jack of all trades - countless masterpieces, with none of them smelling like the next or the last.

Christopher Sheldrake is all about opulence and extravagance. The fragrance equivalent to blasting your favorite CD and rocking out to it with the windows open and a crowd of people staring at you - and loving it.

As an honorable mention that is kind of a tangent to the topic, Francois Demachy is the king of flankers that are as good, if not better than the originals (Dior Homme Cologne, Fahrenheit 32/Absolute, Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir, etc)
    Sales thread here

Another thing I've noticed in Kurkdjian's style is that there are rarely harsh edges. All of his fragrances seem rather soft and have this smoothing effect that seamlessly blends the notes together. I'd say it is similar to the effect using watercolors has when painting, but his compositions are denser than a watercolor equivalent. Perhaps it is more accurate to describe it as a similar effect to that of applying motion blur to an otherwise sharp, perhaps even high contrast image. Definitely more Van Gogh impressionistic than realistic. Many of his scents have a powdery texture to them, too, and I think this relates heavily to the effect I'm mentioning above.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Olivia Giacobetti has a very distinctive style, to my nose. Whatever she creates, she does it with subtle colors and a certain ethereal twist. Elixir, En Passant, even Idole come to mind.

JC Ellena: He rarely does abtract scents. Most of his scents are inspired by nature. They have a heavy, yet transparent feel to it.

Jacques Polge- dark, edgy sophistication, with an immense note of tasteful and slightly down-to-earth, slightly ethereal, almost poetic sensuality; two very illustrative examples immediately come to my mind: Chanel Antaeus and Ungaro III

Maurice Roucel:
    L O U D !

For some reason, I have had a few Annick Menardo fragrances. I guess they are just easily accessible and good. She seems to like warmth ( as Scentational mentioned). Vanilla ? You bet !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Some perfumers have certain stylistic preferences, ...
    Germaine Cellier: "two" - means contrast.

Like Hard Edge in painting, late 50s to 60s. Frank Stella, Robert India etc:

Last edited by merry.waters; 7th March 2010 at 11:57 PM.