Code of Conduct

Default Amazing vintage finds but now I don't know if I should buy!

i was reading through one of those "Can you believe my luck?" posts and thought that, since I had a little time this weekend, I'd go check out the antique shops in my area that I've never looked in.

Three were a bust but in the last one, there was a case in the back and I started physically shaking when I saw what was in there (LOL, lame). There was a 1/2 full bottle of vintage Diorissimo parfum or eau de parfum for $18 and a nearly full bottle of vintage Diorissimo cologne for $14. And then a tiny vintage bottle of Shalimar parfum for $14.

There were also all kinds of full bottles of Avon, little opaque cat shaped bottles that were full and perfumed powders that were gorgeous.

But after getting all excited, I suddenly realized they were all in a glass cabinet right by the window. The bottles were so pretty there! But I can't imagine that the sun hasn't done some damage.

How can I tell if they're damaged? I asked the lady how long they'd been there, and she couldn't tell me. Help!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Amazing vintage finds but now I don't know if I should buy!

I know some more experienced noses will chime in but IMO It's going to be a crap shoot- personally for those prices I'd buy one of the Diors and take my chances.
    Will the owner allow you to test on a card or piece of fabric? You should be able to tell if the bottle its gone off.

Also if your bargain hunting check out your local thrift stores, not just the antique stores- people donate perfectly good bottles they've received as gifts.

Nice one!
    At those prices the three you mention in paragraph 1 might well be worth the investment. At worst you could sell them on ebay if youre not completely satisfied. And likely make a tidy profit.

Hillaire

That Shalimar bottle might be its own treasure, should the juice fail you.
    I'd buy the Diorissimo parfum first, if you don't love it, sell it.
    Those are bargains!

Ask the shopkeeper if you can smell the perfumes! Then you'll know whether to snatch them up! Great bargains!

reine

How fun, latelittlesleeper! What neat finds! I went on my own little vintage bender this summer, the highlights of which were a very small (like mini-size) bottle of Joy parfum ($5!!!!!), a Tabu violin, and a c. late 1970's/early 80's bottle of Caron Infini (you have some of that one, actually). It is so fun to find bargains! I went into one shop whose owners clearly knew the value of certain things and were aware of the market. They had for sale pristine bottles of E. Coudray Fame and Toujours Moi, and an equally beautiful and untouched vintage Lanvin set containing My Sin and Arpege, I think. All were going for $200 or more.
    Anyways, I, too, would sniff them first. Obviously lots of shop owners are like, Whatever, it's old perfume! and they don't take proper care of their wares. I hope they at least weren't in direct light.

I loved the Infini too, so I am glad you found such a great deal. Thank you for sharing with me.

Eek, I love hearing about people's vintage finds so much! I think I might start another thread just for that. Will you add your story on there too? I think other people would love to read it and feel envious!

Funny: every time I find an old perfume bottle in an antique shop, it turns out to be some wretched AVON thing.

...except for the one time I found a completely unopened counter display of Houbigant's Fougere Royale deodorant sticks from the 1950/60s. (yes, the seals are still tight and they still smell good!)

I just wanted to say that I did not buy the Diorissimos. Bois de Jasmin had a post about how vintage Diorissimo should be a light yellow color. Anything that's turned ambery has degraded beyond wearable. So sad! They had them both in their original boxes too, but opened. If only they'd kept them closed up.

I bought the Shalimar parfum though. So much smokier than my modern edp!

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by latelittlesleeper View Post
    I just wanted to say that I did not buy the Diorissimos. Bois de Jasmin had a post about how vintage Diorissimo should be a light yellow color. Anything that's turned ambery has degraded beyond wearable. So sad! They had them both in their original boxes too, but opened. If only they'd kept them closed up.

I bought the Shalimar parfum though. So much smokier than my modern edp!
    Oh, that's divine! I know that smokiness you speak of! Lots of old Guerlains had it..back when.

Congratulations! That was a bargain. In fact, I saw a vintage Shalimar BOTTLE (empty) at an antique store last week. It was thirty five dollars, and it was tiny.