Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arrow What makes Dior Homme smell like lipstick?

Do you know?

Dependent

Default Re: What makes Dior Homme smell like lipstick?

Iris?

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Iris?
    The Dreamer supposedly has a lot of iris in it, but I don't smell lipstick.

Iris+Chocolate= powdery, therefore lipstick I guess.

I smell no lipstick in Dior Homme, so I don't really know.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    Iris+Chocolate= powdery, therefore lipstick I guess.

I smell no lipstick in Dior Homme, so I don't really know.
    Do you smell lipstick in PdN New York? I get a lot of lipstick from that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    I absolutely detest PdN New York, and all I get is sharp orange and awful scratchy woods. It smells overly synthetic and utterly revolting to me. I know it gets a lot of respect from LT and basenotes but I hate it. I smell nothing particularly powdery about it actually, nor anything cosmetically-inclined.

At what stage in Dior Homme's development do you smell lipstick? I smell fishy lipstick in Rive Gauche (women's) up close (but from afar its all succulent rose). The lipstick smell I know smells slightly fishy and powdery.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

No lipstick smell to my nose, either.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I absolutely detest PdN New York, and all I get is sharp orange and awful scratchy woods. It smells overly synthetic and utterly revolting to me. I know it gets a lot of respect from LT and basenotes but I hate it. I smell nothing particularly powdery about it actually, nor anything cosmetically-inclined.

At what stage in Dior Homme's development do you smell lipstick? I smell fishy lipstick in Rive Gauche (women's) up close (but from afar its all succulent rose). The lipstick smell I know smells slightly fishy and powdery.
    I smell the lipstick 2 minutes after spraying it on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Do you know of any scents that smell like lipstick or makeup?

I get no lipstick from Dior Homme or from New York.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    AbdesSalaam Attar, Naomi Goodsir, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, L'Atelier de Givenchy, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse, by Kilian, and Oliver & Co. splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Lipstick city for me! I'm not sure why, either. I prefer Iris Silver Mist, which is to say I like carrots more than lipstick.

Oh, Drole de Rose also smells just like lipstick to me.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Frédéric Malle Lipstick Rose (Ralf Schweiger) smells like lipstick. Strange, eh?
    Last edited by JaimeB; 8th March 2010 at 06:31 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

From Dior Homme, I get not as much of lipstick note, yet an immense powderiness during the drydown- may this also be explained because of the iris?

Dependent

Try Clinique Happy For Women - I get a cosmetics bag accord in this one. Pretty good scent.
    &
    Hermes Hiris too, slightly.

Frédéric Malle Lipstick Rose (Ralf Schweiger) smells like lipstick. Strange, eh?
    The negative review for that one says the rose and violet combo conjure old Revlon lipstick.

Iris is probably the culprit. Orris root is used as a stabilizer in cosmetics and accounts for both their violet and powdery smell. Lipstick, I think, and especially face powder. Sniff and see - lipstick, face powder, and Dior Homme are kindred spirits. Scent-wise.

I suppose the "lip-stickiness" of a scent depends on how much iris is used and what with, no?
    Last edited by Mr. Bon Vivant; 8th March 2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: content
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

To me, Dior Homme smells of vintage pressed powder. Lipstick has a waxy, plastic-y smell which I don't find in DH.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 8th March 2010 at 07:29 AM.

Mexx Black Her - makeup and lipstick 100%

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

From the Dior Homme Cologne, perhaps. But not from DH. And I get more 'lipstick' from TDC's Bois d'Iris and even more from Serge Lutens' Rousse.

Blog Entries

Iris + Amber = Lipstick? I dunno. I asked a friend if he thought it smelled like a make up bag and he said, "Yea, it kinda does man." Oddly enough, I feel comfortable wearing this than PdN New York. New York just smells like some icky lotion my mom puts on. My mom annoys the hell out of me, so it really traumatized me from wearing New York ever again. LOL.

Someone else thinks it does too? I thought I was alone on this.

It really does smell like lipstick to me. It's weird.. I might try it again and try to look past that.

Zero. And I am very predisposed to picking up on lipstick-type accords as I hate them with a passion.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I've worn PdN NY for years and have never even remotely detected any "sharp orange and awful scratchy woods".
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I love both DH and NY. Two of the finest Men's colognes available. I can understand the lipstick associations with an iris based scent (DH) even though it doesn't smell like it to me. I don't know where you are picking up the lipstick association with NY.

To me, the opening notes of Dior Homme smells like "mom's purse." Not just lipstick, but the combination of cosmetics, powders, lipstick together. It lasts about 20 minutes or so and settles into a nice iris scent.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 8th March 2010 at 03:00 PM.

Same here.
    ~Mark~

Yep, iris. It shows up in a lot of cosmetics, which explains the association with the "makeup bag" smell. (not specifically lipstick to my nose)

I love Dior Homme though.

I'm just not getting that lipstick from Dior Homme at all...

The iris note in Dior Homme is similar to what I recall lipstick smelling like when I was growing up. Not everyone's mothers and grandmothers wore Avon, so YMMV.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I looove your new avatar!
    Mrs Carrington Colby, Lady Poison!

As for Dior Homme, I clearly get the make-up smell,
    it's what I love about it. Dunno what it is, though!

I totally get it in the original DH, and this is the only reason why it's not sitting on my shelf. However, the intense version seems much more to my taste.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius32 View Post
    However, the intense version seems much more to my taste.
    Oh yes, it's in a league of it's own!

Sur la Plage

It does not smell like lipstick to me - at least not the kind I use.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    It does not smell like lipstick to me - at least not the kind I use.
    Ha.

Spray...you are not alone. I get an incredible make-up-bag-fulla-old-lipstick smell from DH from beginning to end...but I LOVE the fragrance. I always assumed it was the iris, but then again it is not present in Dreamer at all....
    Its funny, I receive a compliment almost every time that I wear it, but when probed about the lipstick accord, everyone says, "well now that you mention it...."

Dior Homme to me is way too feminine, I would rather smell it on my wife!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I'm thinking that the whole makeup vibe comes from iris and cocoa.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

The lipstick.... duh! You didn't know? They soak bits of Walmart brand lipstick in it before shipping out the bottles. Jeez, I didn't realize it was still such a secret.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Some guys here have mentioned makeup...

I think I get a combo of makeup and lipstick. The iris + cocoa theory is worth investigating.

It's not really "iris" that is associated with makeup, it's orris root. Not all iris fragrances are based on orris root. When an actual orris note is used in perfumery, synthetics are usually used, since pure orris absolute, orris butter, or orris concrete, are some of the most expensive perfume materials in existence. But to add to confusion, often the name "iris" will be used in a pyramid when "orris" is the actual note.

An iris note, on the other hand, is often based on the scent of the iris flower, and is built up using aroma chemicals in order to reproduce the scent of irises without ever really smelling much like orris root. Orris root doesn't really smell much like iris IMO. Actually, it smells more like violets if anything. Orris root has has a very distinct smell on its own. The rhizome itself is not prohibitively expensive, and in it's powdered form it has been used extensively in cosmetics, and as a fixative in potpourri mixtures for many years. The yield of essential oil is very low however and it is difficult to produce, thus making natural orris perfume materials expensive.

I really believe it is the orris root note in DH that is giving people the association with "lipstick." Just because a fragrance contains an orris note however, doesn't meant that fragrance will smell like makeup, but DH is built around an orris note, rather than just containing this note.

Also, it is important to remember that natural orris root is one of the most common and pervasive allergens in both perfumery and cosmetics and thus is being used less and less due to this fact. (Whenever I had to work with the stuff, I had to wear a mask and gloves and still would be sick for days afterwards). The synthetic scent of orris root will often be added to cosmetics to smell like "makeup" even though there is no longer any actual orris root being used in the manufacturing of the product itself.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 9th March 2010 at 06:42 AM.

Wow, great answer. If I'm ever on Who Wants to be a Millionaire...
    Last edited by Spray; 9th March 2010 at 06:46 AM.

Wow, great answer. If I'm ever on Who Wants to be a Millionaire...
    Sorry, I added some edits to my answer since you read it...

mrclmind,

I am curious - do any synthetic orris components bother you, or only natural orris root? Do you mean that simply working with the absolute would cause you problems, or only in its powdered form?

I guess depending on those answers of yours i'm really interested in a sort of tangential question: have you ever tried Amouage Reflection Man? I smell a very strong high quality orris root note there. It could very well be entirely synthetic but I'd like to think it is at least partially natural. It smells natural, to me. Anyhow, if you've tried it, what did you think? Did you have any reaction?

Back on topic - I don't think it is the orris alone that evokes lipstick but orris + amber notes surely could. Orris + tolu balsam or benzoin + some waxy sandalwood or something could easily turn lipstick-ish.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    mrclmind,

I am curious - do any synthetic orris components bother you, or only natural orris root? Do you mean that simply working with the absolute would cause you problems, or only in its powdered form?

I guess depending on those answers of yours i'm really interested in a sort of tangential question: have you ever tried Amouage Reflection Man? I smell a very strong high quality orris root note there. It could very well be entirely synthetic but I'd like to think it is at least partially natural. It smells natural, to me. Anyhow, if you've tried it, what did you think? Did you have any reaction?
    Only the natural bothers me in all its forms; the whole rhizome being the least problematic and the powder and concrete being the worst offenders. The Givaudan Givco base "Orris Givco" is one of the best synthetic orris roots available (IMO and newer ones may be out that are as good or better that I am not aware of). It never caused any allergic reactions in me that I can recall. I should definitely give Reflection a try. I haven't tried it yet. DH never bothered me, but the Hugh Parsons orris centered scent did give me a reaction. Which made me wonder if it indeed had some trace amounts of authentic orris; but given its price I highly doubt it.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 9th March 2010 at 07:09 AM.

The first time I tried Dior Homme, I thought it smelled like Dr. Pepper. Subsequent tries have changed that opinion.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I thought iris flowers had no smell. The ones I've grown had no smell at all.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    I thought iris flowers had no smell. The ones I've grown had no smell at all.
    There are thousands of varieties of iris. To my knowledge the only one that has the "Iris Fragrance" is Iris Pallida (also where orris root comes from). It is actually cultivated for its fragrance that is somewhat reminiscent of orange flowers/vanilla. I know that there has been much attempt at getting an absolute from it, with zero success. The names "Iris" and "orris" have been used interchangeably for a long time as a fragrance note, but the flower and the root smell very different, and any iris flower scent must be accomplished synthetically.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 9th March 2010 at 08:40 PM.

Ah. I'm familiar with just a handful of varieties, but don't remember any of them smelling like anything.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Ah. I'm familiar with just a handful of varieties, but don't remember any of them smelling like anything.
    Most don't... But they sure are pretty!! That's great that you grow irises! I've got a brown thumb. Are they difficult to cultivate?

It is like it smells like the bottom of a much older females make up bag -

I found that Royal Copenhagen has that same smell in the down dry - - - - - - - - - -???

Talking Re: What makes Dior Homme smell like lipstick?

The scent that you are experiencing is orris. This smell has been described as fruity-floral, oily, voilet-like, ethereal.
    If somebody were to ask me what it 'actually' smells like, I would tell them to go stuff their heads into their girlfriends makeup bag..quite literally. To me, it always reminds me of women's foundation or lipstick. Dior homme is quite iris for a men's fragrance, then again, I do believe there's no such thing as a man's fragrance. Hiris by hermes is almost all iris. Maybe you can test it and see if that smells like lippy too!

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    The first time I tried Dior Homme, I thought it smelled like Dr. Pepper. Subsequent tries have changed that opinion.
    As they used to say, "Dr. Pepper, so miss-understood."

Interesting about the association with Dr. Pepper. I have always thought that Gucci Pour Hoome smelled alot like A&W root beer due to the orris. Perhaps with the right mix of other ingredients, we have discovered a new facet of perfume, a cola note!
    Last edited by sumandre; 10th March 2010 at 02:39 PM.

I definitely get the lipstick. And I just can't do it. I've sampled it a few times, hoping to like it. I just don't. That's ok... plenty of ones (too many) that I do.

i just tried this out for the first time and damn it it does smell like lipstick to me...interestingly enough though im enjoying it? i dont know what it is but there is some other note in there that blending in with the lipstick which makes it enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor King View Post
    there is some other note in there that blending in with the lipstick which makes it enjoyable.
    eye shadow

Yes, I get loads of lipstick smell from DH. DH Intense - even more. It's my favorite part. Wish it lasted longer.

Not a very masculine scent, but I don't care. Love it too much to care.

I passed around a bottle of DH at a party not too long ago - a party attended by fellow fragrance fanatics, men and women - and everyone said "lipstick" or "makeup" upon initial sniff.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 28th March 2010 at 12:16 PM.

180 on this one.

I was at Sephora last night doing some mother's day shopping and figured I might as well pickup a sample and give it one more try. To my surprise, I hardly smell the "lipstick" scent when applied to my skin. It's still definitely there front and center when I apply it to a card. I actually find it quite pleasant on me right now, though it's a little weak.

I can't wear Dior Homme, all I get from it is lipstick and old lady makeup bag smell.

I kinda like that fatty, greasy smell of lipstick. I smell it in Serge Noir when first applied.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    There are thousands of varieties of iris. To my knowledge the only one that has the "Iris Fragrance" is Iris Pallida (also where orris root comes from). It is actually cultivated for its fragrance that is somewhat reminiscent of orange flowers/vanilla. I know that there has been much attempt at getting an absolute from it, with zero success. The names "Iris" and "orris" have been used interchangeably for a long time as a fragrance note, but the flower and the root smell very different, and any iris flower scent must be accomplished synthetically.
    Iris germanica (which is the common "bearded Iris" of many home flower gardens) actually has a nice scent to the flower, maybe not too far off the pallida. You need to get close to the flower to smell it, and it's a little more earthy-herbaceous perhaps, but definitely recognizable as Iris. And it makes me sneezy...sigh.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!