Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Vetiver Guerlain (Thank you basenoters)

The sample just arrived, and I'm totally blown away. Love at first sniff. I can't wait to see what it transforms into while applied to the skin.

I wanted the sample only because of all the great reviews BNers have given it.

Will be in my next purchase along with A*men (yes, I liked it), M7 (a 100 ml bottle :-D ).

Thank you ladies and gentlemen. You're a bunch of superstars with nothing but the FINEST taste.
    Last edited by HammerFist; 8th March 2010 at 02:57 PM.

Default Re: Vetiver Guerlain (Thank you basenoters)

Curious to know how you like it after trying on your skin. No doubt, it is an iconic fragrance, not just speaking of vetiver scents. Absolutely deserving of its continued notice and praise, decades after its release. Is this your first vetiver scent?

I also like A*men a lot, but not M7 so much.

I'll make a post after testing it on the skin. Yes, this is my first vetiver scent and I think that I'm going to like vetiver scents.

Somehow, I'm liking M7 and as a matter of fact, I'm starting to like YSL overall. There's something special in M7, which is very soothing and it is a GREAT evening scent in my opinion. I like M7 more than A*men. And in between those two, there's Rochas Man.

Wonderful to hear you like Guerlain's Vetiver. Just wait for the drydown, the very late one, it's quite remarkable how it changes to something smoky-woody / tobacco-sweet / green-brown, extremely comforting.

PS: I wore Guerlain's Vetiver (the 90s version though) in abundance at a private party this weekend, and one girl I danced with kept raving about the scent for... a loooong time!

Stop teasing me, Mr. G. I can't wait to wear it tomorrow and see how it goes. I'm semi-sick right now, with an upset stomach which I hope will be OK by tomorrow.

It's a pleasure to know women appreciate the smell of Guerlain's Vetiver.

Basenotes Institution

Enjoy!

Tip: apply lightly and away from your face (throat area). Vetiver (which I love) when over applied, can be a bit headache inducing to certain people.

Glad to see a new fan to Guerlain's Vetiver. I love it!

I don't own it (yet), nor is it my favorite vetiver, but I think it is still the benchmark vetiver scent. If you've ever wondered what vetiver smells like, Guerlain's is the one to smell. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerFist View Post
    I'll make a post after testing it on the skin. Yes, this is my first vetiver scent and I think that I'm going to like vetiver scents.
    I bought Guerlain's Vetiver without testing it on my skin, only on a strip. DON'T DO IT! Test it on your skin first. I didn't like how it changed on my skin, so I sold it.

I am glad to read that you've liked Guerlain Vetiver.
    It is my favorite vetiver and I absolutely love it.

I just wish that it had better sillage though.

One of Guerlain's good light and airy scents (along with Coq, Imperiale, and Eau de Guerlain of course).

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I am glad to read that you've liked Guerlain Vetiver.
    It is my favorite vetiver and I absolutely love it.

I just wish that it had better sillage though.
    I thought it didn't have much sillage until someone commented on my fragrance 24 hours later. I sprayed it on my t-shirt one morning and it still projected the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    I thought it didn't have much sillage until someone commented on my fragrance 24 hours later. I sprayed it on my t-shirt one morning and it still projected the next morning.
    I always spray with abandon when wearing Guerlain vetiver but not only can I not smell it on myself after a while but my friends too are unable to detect it. I have several vintage bottles and the result is the same when I spray from other bottles. Nevertheless I keep re applying this from a tiny atomiser that I carry with me.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I believe GV is a very well blended vetiver frag, but the tobacco gets to me, surprisingly. I much prefer Guerlain Vetiver Extreme. No tobacco, lasts longer and has better sillage as well. I also like the soapiness a lot of reviewers complained about.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I believe GV is a very well blended vetiver frag, but the tobacco gets to me, surprisingly. I much prefer Guerlain Vetiver Extreme. No tobacco, lasts longer and has better sillage as well. I also like the soapiness a lot of reviewers complained about.
    I see you found Extreme as your solution. I too couldn't tolerate the ashtray of the original, so I found Vetiver de Puig as my alternative. I like your avatar, it's funny
    Last edited by Spray; 9th March 2010 at 06:24 AM.

GV is one of my faves, I only cannot believe how long I could have lived without it

HammerFist, you're just killing some people! LOL....you know, the "haters!"

Let's give them all a Nelson Muntz: Ha-Haaaa!
    “Government big enough to supply
    everything you need is big enough
    to take everything you have.”
    Thomas Jefferson

I can't wait for my sample to come! 1 - because it is very well recieved on BN, and one has to respect the view of such experts and 2 - I'm not sure what vetiver is or smells like . Again, I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    I wore Guerlain's Vetiver (the 90s version though) in abundance at a private party this weekend, and one girl I danced with kept raving about the scent for... a loooong time!
    She just thought you were hot. I hope she was raving about something else later.

I wore Vetiver alot in the 'cologneguy' days(pre-2000). However, the tobacco is now just too harsh for me. I have gone off it totally! I haven't worn it in the last 5 years. BTW, is the original cologneguy a member of basenotes under a new guise?

Hi sumandre,

I'm new here. I am surprised you're asking if I were some 'cologneguy' under a new disguise.

I've heard that as an online discussion grows, the possibility of someone comparing you with Hitler increases many times. However, you compared me with someone called 'cologneguy'. I wonder who he is.

BTW, I haven't yet tried Vetiver Guerlain on me. Today was Body Kouros and Kouros day (wore it to the gym). And I had the nerve to put on BK to the office.