Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Why Do I Hate Guerlain??

Ugh... whatever floats your boat, dude. I have no hate to bring on you.

On the other hand, what I've tried from Guerlain, I've liked.

Its interesting that you like New York. Did you know that Patricia de Nicolai's maternal grandmother was Francine Guerlain, daughter of Pierre Guerlain?

I think hate is an excessively harsh word to describe an entire house.
    Last edited by Bartlebooth; 9th March 2010 at 05:54 PM.

Un profumo affettuoso

Yeah, now you've got it out of your system, tu as osé - and you even met with understanding and sympathy.
    I personally think that hating Guerlain is no sacrilege, but it doesn't make much sense, let alone does this "hatred" of yours demonstrate much expertise in the field of perfumes. Of course, you don't have to be a dedicated follower or a Guerlain-lover, but I think this house should be greeted with a bit more respect.

This thread is one of the most inspiring I've read in a long time - which shouldn't come as a surprise, given my partiality for this old house. I wish I had anything intelligent to add. But I don't, I just soak in each and every post. A wonderful read!

Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    Its interesting that you like New York. Did you know that Patricia de Nicolai's maternal grandmother was Francine Guerlain, daughter of Pierre Guerlain?
    Yes I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    I think hate is an excessively harsh word to describe an entire house.
    Sorry, but I believe that I am entitled to use whatever word I choose--"hate", "loathe", "detest" or any other synonym. Plus, it was pretty obvious that saying "I HATE GUERLAIN" was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. I made it clear from the outset that even though I don't like the fragrances I've tried, I definitely respect the history and artistry of Guerlain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalé View Post
    Yeah, now you've got it out of your system, tu as osé - and you even met with understanding and sympathy.
    I personally think that hating Guerlain is no sacrilege, but it doesn't make much sense, let alone does this "hatred" of yours demonstrate much expertise in the field of perfumes. Of course, you don't have to be a dedicated follower or a Guerlain-lover, but I think this house should be greeted with a bit more respect.
    I find it rather ironic that you talk about respect right after commenting that my dislike of Guerlain demonstrates a lack of "expertise in the field of perfumes." Perhaps you should follow your own advice and start demonstrating a little respect yourself.
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 9th March 2010 at 06:22 PM.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Quote Originally Posted by Midiguru View Post
    Knowing Brad quite a bit, it's not a surprise to read that he dislikes Guerlain with a passion. Actually, Brad dislikes most scents that he tries.
    How DARE you?! ; )

Actually, Kevin is 100% correct. Guilty as charged.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    Yes I did.
    Sorry, but I believe that I am entitled to use whatever word I choose--"hate", "loathe", "detest" or any other synonym. Plus, it was pretty obvious that saying "I HATE GUERLAIN" was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. I made it clear from the outset that even though I don't like the fragrances I've tried, I definitely respect the history and artistry of Guerlain.

I find it rather ironic that you talk about respect right after commenting that my dislike of Guerlain demonstrates a lack of "expertise in the field of perfumes." Perhaps you should follow your own advice and start demonstrating a little respect yourself.
    Well, when you use an emotionally charged word like "hate" (which is definitely your prerogative to do), does it really shock you that some people might respond in an equally emotionally charged manner? I personally have absolutely no emotional response whatsoever to your hatred, and find the whole thread highly entertaining. If hatred is what you feel, that's fine by me, it just seems a bit excessive though. We are, after all, only talking about perfumes. Hatred, really?
    Last edited by mrclmind; 9th March 2010 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Well, when you use an emotionally charged word like "hate" (which is definitely your prerogative to do), does it really shock you that some people might respond in an equally emotionally charged manner? I personally have absolutely no emotional response whatsoever to your hatred, and find the whole thread highly entertaining. If hatred is what you feel, that's fine by me, it just seems a bit excessive though. We are, after all, only talking about perfumes. Hatred, really?
    Maybe it's just me, but I figured that proclaiming "I HATE GUERLAIN!" sounded better than "I REALLY DISLIKE BUT RESPECT GUERLAIN!". Here's an idea, how about we all lighten the hell up already? Like you said, we're only talking about perfumes here for the love of God (or Guerlain)!!
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Maybe it's just me, but I figured that proclaiming "I HATE GUERLAIN!" sounded better than "I REALLY DISLIKE BUT RESPECT GUERLAIN!". Here's an idea, how about we all lighten the hell up already? Like you said, we're only talking about perfumes here for the love of God (or Guerlain)!!
    I agree... But really... are you all that shocked that certain people react strongly to "I HATE GUERLAIN" in bold caps? I think it's very hilarious, and hope you do too.

All the Guerlain frags i've tried i liked so far :0)
    I even wear the wifes Shalimar from time to time
    Last edited by Orgoglio italianO; 9th March 2010 at 08:16 PM.

Before this ends up turning into some weird and endless Frank Herbert psycho-analytical type discussion about what "hate" means in this instance (only 2 pages, though - Frank would not have got to this point until about page 500), my main dislike for the house in general (and it's one of the very few houses I've sampled a LOT, including masculine, feminine, vintage and current) is that there appears to be a house note/accord in pretty much every single one I've tried that just pushes aside every other single note in the pyramid and it just doesn't click with me. Pour Homme doesn't have it and I'm honestly struggling to think of another one I've tried that doesn't have it...HR Sport, perhaps? I can't remember. But regardless, it's like the trad English houses and their weird fascination with really sweet powdery bases, even in frags that shouldn't have a base like that (Trumper Skye springs to mind - an aquatic that ends up smelling like Floris 89?!?!?!?!)

Perhaps "annoyed" is a good word to use in the place of "hate". Even though "hate", here, is used as a mere title to a thread to get a discussion going. Which it clearly has. And then some.

I hate Guerlain the way that some people might hate their drug dealer

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post

Perhaps "annoyed" is a good word to use in the place of "hate". Even though "hate", here, is used as a mere title to a thread to get a discussion going. Which it clearly has. And then some.
    I can see the next thread... "Ever so slightly annoyed with scent from and with the house Guerlain... discuss?"

LOL
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    I can see the next thread... "Ever so slightly annoyed with scent from and with the house Guerlain... discuss?"

LOL
    LOL I really love this thread. I don't know why, but I laugh each time I read it.

Guerlain has a lot to offer... for women. The best the mens range has to offer is only two, three scents which were truly great imo, namely Habit Rouge from 1965, Heritage 1992? Not a lot to be honest.There´s no doubt Guerlain has neglected men for a long time in history.
    I like L´Instant ,but this one isn´t made by (Jean Paul) Guerlain imo but another perfumer (LVMH)
    Last edited by eric; 9th March 2010 at 11:36 PM.

I really love Derby. I think it is one of the greatest men's scents there is. I like both the Vintage and the current formulations (different enough that you could easily own both).

Only thing I hate about Guerlain is its general unavailability at the stores where I live. You can find some of their top sellers, but not a lot of the older, really interesting ones I read about on basenotes.

Yes, I have been to one or two Guerlain boutiques. Nice, nice. But I don't live in the resort areas where I found them.

Regarding the "no old lady smell" angle -- well sure, no problem. "Old ladies" probably don't want to smell like you, either. Ha ha. There's nothing inherently wrong with not wanting to smell like someone who's not quite your image. Seriously, most older women probably would hate a lot of your fragrance collection, too. No big deal.

One of my best tricks for finding higher-quality fragrances is to visit the cologne counters at better department stores and ask, "What do you have that smells like stuffy old man?" That's how I've discovered many of my favorites, including Cartier Pasha and, perhaps the ultimate stuffy old man fragrance, Vintage Tabarome. Viva stuffy old men!

And no, I don't really think Pasha is very "stuffy old man," but that's the true story of how I found it. Kind of funny, eh? You should see some of the other things uninformed SAs bring out when you ask this question. I keep hoping one of them will bring me Abercrombie & Fitch when I ask for stuffy old man, so I can die laughing, a happy man.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 9th March 2010 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    The old women smell used to be mothballs which was used in in wardrobes back in the old days that has a stale musty odour to it which would cling to your clothes.
    Ick. naphthalene or 1,4-dichlorobenzene and camphor. (shivers)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

"Let your haters be your motivators!"

- Random Quote, Real Housewives of Atlanta

Aw, WindyCity is getting unfairly targeted for being so mildly controversial. Time to deflect the heat! I hate Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Aw, WindyCity is getting unfairly targeted for being so mildly controversial. Time to deflect the heat! I hate Christmas.
    Some people here are taking WindyCity's mildly controversial topic as an attack on their own tastes - take a chill pill fellas, what are we, 16? Can't take the heat, don't open the thread. This is not the first time an anti-house thread has been created and neither will it be the last. As someone pointed out, its not very different from many of Luca Turin's snarky put downs...infact its a level or two less biting.

For what its worth, the OP clearly stated why he doesn't like the house and most of the replies have been cogent in why they agree or don't agree.
    -

Hey zz: Really, in this thread I am not feeling the "hate" at all. It's an entertaining discussion. So much for a "provocative" topic.

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Hey zz: Really, in this thread I am not feeling the "hate" at all. It's an entertaining discussion. So much for a "provocative" topic.
    I agree! This has been a fun topic! I've really enjoyed myself. I apologize to you WindyCity if any of my comments seemed at all defensive. I have been having a great time in here today! :-)
    Last edited by mrclmind; 10th March 2010 at 03:58 AM.

If a dose of pure hate is what it takes to keep mrclmind posting on Basenotes, I'm all for it! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    If a dose of pure hate is what it takes to keep mrclmind posting on Basenotes, I'm all for it! :-)
    LOL! Had a whole day off today!

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Don't sweat it, WindyCity. As many have said before, there is no universally loved fragrance. And although I wince at comments that fragrances smell like "old women", or "old" in general, I can understand the sentiment. To me, the dividing line is between those of who appreciate fragrances for themselves (the art of fragrance) versus those that use them as a means to an end - to smell good to others. Even within that context, there is no right or wrong - that's just the way it is.

As for me, I love Guerlains for their wonderful, complex, and evocative beauty. I don't have to wear them in public to enjoy them, but I often do, and I feel no self-consciousness in spite of the fact that they're old school (also, I'm 55, so that may have something to do with it). Hopefully, Guerlain will still be around when you reach a stage in your life when their fragrances will feel appropriate.
    Golly! 55! (I'm 53. And love Guerlain's scents in their current configuration.)

I for one have found myself at a stage in life where I appreciate beauty and usefulness over pretense and appearance. (not meant as a put-down to anyone, just a comment.) I only purchase scents that please me by their beauty.

That, I believe, is something for the BN Young'Un's to look forward to. ;-)

I know that this may border on sacrilege, and at the very least may subject me to unrelenting ridicule on this board, but I'm going to step forward and come clean on a secret that I've held for some time now:

I HATE GUERLAIN!

There, I've finally said it. I've tried many different Guerlain fragrances based upon the glowing reviews and legendary status afforded this house on BN. But no matter how much I try, I simply cannot force myself to like a single one. Not Derby, not SDV, not Shalimar, not L'Instant, not Heritage, not Habit Rouge, not Bois d'Armenie... I could go on. It may be the "Guerlinade" that pervades all these scents that simply does not agree with me but, whatever it is, I think all this stuff smells like "Eau de Old Lady."

I certainly respect the history of Guerlain but the bottom line is that I think the stuff stinks. And not in a good way.

OK, bring on the hate...

I respect the fact that you are not interested in the perfumes from a House. I find it interesting that some Guerlains are defined as Old Lady perfumes, since many of us wore those same perfumes when we were in our 20s. They certainly did not seem old to me, and to this day, they still don't smell old.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Not intended to offend, all I was saying is that the Guerlains I've tried tend to remind me of what an old woman smells like. You know, a mixture of makeup, powder and some kind of overbearing perfume, usually heavy on the rose.
    I appreciate that you didn't intend to offend, and I thank you for making that clear. I still think, however, that people might consider talking about the perfumes and their own personal preferences rather than attributing a taste for certain perfumes to certain other persons. Perhaps it would be more politic to compare perfumes to perfumes rather than perfumes to persons: apples to apples, and oranges to oranges, as it were.

I might say a perfume seems old-fashioned for me, rather than relate it to older people. After all, I know what I prefer, but not necessarily what other people prefer. Or I could say that a certain fragrance seems to me to be too floral or too sweet for my taste, rather than to assume that a sweet or floral perfume might only interest women. Then I could talk about perfume as perfume, rather than imagine whose tastes the perfume might satisfy (which, after all, might be pure speculation on my part).

I hope you might be able to see how that kind of discussion might make it clear that your ideas of what is "old" or "feminine" for your taste are not necessarily so for people in general. Of course, we don't all agree about these things; if we all did, there would be no individual tastes in perfume!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 10th March 2010 at 05:29 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Got bad news for you, CreedFan WindyCity: Guerlain stuff just isn't your bag.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Playing the Old Lady/Old Man card is always going to upset some people, as it reinforces clichés and stereotypes. For me, part of the joy of the fragrance experience is taking things out of context. A butch guy wearing Shalimar or a super femme woman wearing Aramis can really break down pre-conceptions and create new realities. This is something that the Surrealists advocated in their war on bourgeois values, which is appealing, if you don't want to have bourgeois values - otherwise ignore it.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 10th March 2010 at 03:51 PM.

hmmm....interesting. Most of the Guerlains you have mentioned fall into the oriental category. Perhaps that's the problem. Guerlains can be too sweet, heady and heavy for some. Maybe think of some of the scents you do prefer, like the lighter more citrus fragrances, maybe even the Fougères. In the end, you do not really have to warm to Guerlain just because many of us do. Wear what you like, simple as that!

Wink Re: Why Do I Hate Guerlain??

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I appreciate that you didn't intend to offend, and I thank you for making that clear. I still think, however, that people might consider talking about the perfumes and their own personal preferences rather than attributing a taste for certain perfumes to certain other persons. Perhaps it would be more politic to compare perfumes to perfumes rather than perfumes to persons: apples to apples, and oranges to oranges, as it were.

I might say a perfume seems old-fashioned for me, rather than relate it to older people. After all, I know what I prefer, but not necessarily what other people prefer. Or I could say that a certain fragrance seems to me to be too floral or too sweet for my taste, rather than to assume that a sweet or floral perfume might only interest women. Then I could talk about perfume as perfume, rather than imagine whose tastes the perfume might satisfy (which, after all, might be pure speculation on my part).

I hope you might be able to see how that kind of discussion might make it clear that your ideas of what is "old" or "feminine" for your taste are not necessarily so for people in general. Of course, we don't all agree about these things; if we all did, there would be no individual tastes in perfume!
    Well, I don't want this to come off the wrong way but, to be honest, I didn't really give it that much thought. As I said, I think some people just need to lighten up and take themselves (and this hobby) a whole lot less seriously. I'm doing my best to curtail my naturally acerbic tone on this forum but it's getting to the point where I'm starting to bite through my tongue. Keep in mind that I'm a Chicago guy---there's only so much I can take!

For whatever it's worth, I personally think that people nowadays are overly concerned with political correctness and trying not to offend anyone. You know what? I stand by my original comment--the Guerlains I've tried DO smell like "Eau de Old Lady"!! Just be happy I didn't use the word "broad" instead.
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 10th March 2010 at 03:56 PM.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Un profumo affettuoso

QUOTE: indyCity1014
    Plus, it was pretty obvious that saying "I HATE GUERLAIN" was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. I made it clear from the outset that even though I don't like the fragrances I've tried, I definitely respect the history and artistry of Guerlain.

Sorry! Honestly, I did not have the impression you meant it tongue-in-cheek.
    You said something like "the stuff stinks". To me, this does sound pejorative. Now I'm neither a native speaker of the English language, nor an expert on American humour, but being of French origin, your statement sounded harsh to me.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused by putting your expertise into question. After all, des gouts et des couleurs, on ne dispute pas. (One shouldn't quarrel about questions of taste and colour) - as we say in France).
    Last edited by Un profumo affettuoso; 10th March 2010 at 03:55 PM.

Well, I don't want this to come off the wrong way but, to be honest, I didn't really give it that much thought. As I said, I think some people just need to lighten up and take themselves (and this hobby) a whole lot less seriously. I'm doing my best to curtail my naturally acerbic tone on this forum but it's getting to the point where I'm starting to bite through my tongue. Keep in mind that I'm a Chicago guy---there's only so much I can take!

For whatever it's worth, I personally think that people nowadays are overly concerned with political correctness and trying not to offend anyone. You know what? I stand by my original comment--the Guerlains I've tried DO smell like "Eau de Old Lady"!! Just be happy I didn't use the word "broad" instead.
    And I stand by my original comment back. I embrace my inner old lady and wear her loud and proud!!! I need to go find my Jungle Gardenia and Tabu and really come out....

Quote Originally Posted by Jalé View Post
    QUOTE: indyCity1014
    Plus, it was pretty obvious that saying "I HATE GUERLAIN" was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. I made it clear from the outset that even though I don't like the fragrances I've tried, I definitely respect the history and artistry of Guerlain.

Sorry! Honestly, I did not have the impression you meant it tongue-in-cheek.
    You said something like "the stuff stinks". To me, this does sound pejorative. Now I'm neither a native speaker of the English language, nor an expert on American humour, but being of French origin, your statement sounded harsh to me.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused by putting your expertise into question. After all, des gouts et des couleurs, on ne dispute pas. (One shouldn't quarrel about questions of taste and colour) - as we say in France).
    No problem. Quite often, it is very difficult to pick up on the intended tone of the written word, perhaps even more so when you throw in a language barrier. Believe me, this kind of thing has gotten me in trouble before!
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

And I stand by my original comment back. I embrace my inner old lady and wear her loud and proud!!! I need to go find my Jungle Gardenia and Tabu and really come out....
    And I applaud you for it, sir!
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

And I applaud you for it, sir!
    LOL... Great thread!! (reaches for walker)

I'm sorry to say I believe Guerlain have reformulated their classics so that they no longer contain old lady. Those people for the ethical treatment of the elderly have to ruin everything, don't they?

I'm sorry to say I believe Guerlain have reformulated their classics so that they no longer contain old lady. Those people for the ethical treatment of the elderly have to ruin everything, don't they?
    I have seen some of those old ladies that Guerlain freed from their fragrances walking around the 16th arrondissement in Paris.

I'm sorry to say I believe Guerlain have reformulated their classics so that they no longer contain old lady.
    Maybe they just ran out.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 10th March 2010 at 04:07 PM.

Didn't Firmenich come out with a synthetic base called Oldladytone® that they claim is "an indispensable reconstitution of Old Lady?"
    Last edited by mrclmind; 10th March 2010 at 04:23 PM.

Not intended to offend, all I was saying is that the Guerlains I've tried tend to remind me of what an old woman smells like.
    The "older women" in my life always preferred Chanel No. 5.

You know, a mixture of makeup, powder and some kind of overbearing perfume, usually heavy on the rose.
    Knize Ten layered with BPAL London - that sounds good to me!

This one made me laugh out loud in the middle of an airport terminal

1. I like Guerlain's Vetiver, Habit Rouge, Heritage, Shalimar and Mitsouko because of their complexity, I cannot find this in many other houses.
    2. L'Instant is fine, but not that great. I cannot say anything about the rest, I have not tried them.
    3. Call me a freak, but I love "Old Man / Old Lady" notes: In the Guerlains I like I find a nostalgic romanticism on the verge of the old regime, a classicism that is gone, forgotten, missed, replaced by a shriekish, outlandish, boarish style you can attest to in media contents. It evokes a time when everybody respected courtesy of manners, when political correctness was called manners and these were not just a hipocritical way of dealing with differences.

Yes, I know, the past was not that bright. But some things are just gone for ever, but at least I can get a whiff of them.

Un profumo affettuoso

No problem. Quite often, it is very difficult to pick up on the intended tone of the written word, perhaps even more so when you throw in a language barrier. Believe me, this kind of thing has gotten me in trouble before!
    Thanks!!! Glad we could sort this out.

Blog Entries

Okay, so you hate Guerlain. You are afforded your privilege of likes and dislikes. However, you are in the extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeme minority on this. Being almost singularly unique in your position, you do distinguish yourself from the masses quite clearly and, I might add, most gleefully I detect, eh?

Personally, I love the House of Caron, the only perfume house that exclusively began and continues today as such and didn't originate as a fashion house. But, I'm in the minority in how I feel about Caron; however, I'm afraid I still have many more fans with me on Caron than you will have in your camp as a hater of Guerlain. Sorry 'bout that.

To each nose their own.....

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

...{snip}...

Dude! You're from Chicago and I'm from Brooklyn! You think you can gross me out with dat mout? You don't gotta bite dat tongue around nobody. You stick to your guns, and I'll stick to mine. I'll talk about perfumes and steer clear of (most) stereotypes. (Except the ones about dudes from Chicago and dudes from Brooklyn.)

You gotta problem wit dat? What's it to ya? Oh, and lay off the political correctness, OK? I'm lookin out for dat. My turf!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Wore Heritage to work yesterday.
    Enjoyed every minute of it!
    Thank you Guerlain...
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

lol

Quote Originally Posted by jaimeb View Post
    dude! You're from chicago and i'm from brooklyn! You think you can gross me out with dat mout? You don't gotta bite dat tongue around nobody. You stick to your guns, and i'll stick to mine. I'll talk about perfumes and steer clear of (most) stereotypes. (except the ones about dudes from chicago and dudes from brooklyn.)

you gotta problem wit dat? What's it to ya? Oh, and lay off the political correctness, ok? I'm lookin out for dat. My turf!

I wanna see the YouTube reviews of those two... with suitable wardrobe choices! LOL

Didn't Firmenich come out with a synthetic base called Oldladytone® that they claim is "an indispensable reconstitution of Old Lady?"
    <begin satire mode> Yes, I believe they did. And it is purported to be much safer than the natural, at least by the chemists who formulated it.

Their next release is Codgerole, yet to be trademarked. Rumors have it that this is a base note chemical, and that using this base will result in bottom notes of horse liniment, sebum, and wet wool. I'm hoping it also contains hints of "mercurochrome ointment", epsom salts, and boiled cabbage.

This could be as redolent as some of the notes in MKK if you ask me. </end satire mode>

(hmm.)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 11th March 2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: It occurred to me some might not know I was using satire!

PawelL

Thumbs up Re: Why Do I Hate Guerlain??

I like Guerlain a lot, but I also respect your right to hate Guerlain. I would never hate you for your opinion of any scent.

What I find a little strange is the tone of unconscious (I hope) ageism and sexism that people sometimes resort to in putting down scents they don't like. Why is being old or being a woman the ultimate put-down?

I'm not so old. (I'm getting there at the same rate as all the rest of us though I may have started before some of you, but I have every confidence that we'll all get there some day if we're lucky enough to live that long.) I'm not a woman, either. Yet it rankles me to see these attitudes persist, because as long as they're around, they keep alive behaviors that make some people's lives less full than they could be.

Hate all the fragrances you like, and put them down with a vengeance. Just please don't do it in a way that puts down people at the same time!

BRILLIANTLY - and so tactfully - PUT. Brava!

Regards,
    P

Guerlain is the primary house that I wear. But there's a house and fragrance for everyone. I love my Guerlain frags and I'm happy to smell other scents that walk by. It's a big world.
    ...James

WC, I'm not big into Guerlain, myself. Of the three really historically rich fume houses, which I guess are Chanel, Caron, and Guerlain, my favorite is Caron. I found L'Instant to be vile, and I don't much like L'Heuere Bleue, either. It smells like a new age shop on me. I wasn't big on Chamade at first, either, but that was a year ago and you know how things change! The AAs hold no interest for me. Mitsouko is really tasty, (at least it was in 1987 ) and Les Meteorites is pretty, as well. I would like to try Nahema at some point, mostly because it was made in my birth year.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 11th March 2010 at 05:13 AM. Reason: another thought

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RoteRosen View Post
    BRILLIANTLY - and so tactfully - PUT. Brava!

Regards,
    P
    Ahem! That's bravo!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Ahem! That's bravo!
    You can say Brava to me when I'm wearing an old lady scent.

you guys are funny

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    you guys are funny
    Funny Ha-ha, or funny weird? (Think before you answer that!)
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

If you think all Guerlains smell of old lady you probably haven't ever smelled My Insolence, best described as the old lady's great grand daughter. Personally, I prefer a Guerlain that is aimed at an adult audience. I was in Paris this past week and tried Chamade pour Homme for the first time, now that is one sexy, George Clooney type fragrance.