Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Un profumo affettuoso

Default Re: Why Do I Hate Guerlain??

Wow - Ruggles, I did not eeven know there was a Chamade pour homme?
    Is that a NEW fragrance??? Just curious.
    Last edited by Un profumo affettuoso; 11th March 2010 at 07:43 PM.

A great description of Chamade pour Homme (no Jalé, it's not new, it was made in 1999, reissued among Les Parisiennes in 2007). And a nice extra is that the new leather scent from Jean-Paul Guerlain (this autumn) is described as a more leathery Chamade pour Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Personally, I prefer a Guerlain that is aimed at an adult audience. I was in Paris this past week and tried Chamade pour Homme for the first time, now that is one sexy, George Clooney type fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    A great description of Chamade pour Homme (no Jalé, it's not new, it was made in 1999, reissued among Les Parisiennes in 2007). And a nice extra is that the new leather scent from Jean-Paul Guerlain (this autumn) is described as a more leathery Chamade pour Homme.

I was so confused when I saw Chamade pour Homme on the counter next to L'Âme d'Un Héros, at 68, Avenue des Champs-Elysées, both in their respective Bee Bottles. Luca Turin claims in The Guide that they're one and the same, I smelled them both, they are not. CpH's is a dry, spicy leather chypre, while L'AdUH is juniper berry dominated Aromatic without any leather.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 11th March 2010 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post

I HATE GUERLAIN!

Why should anyone hate you for it??? You are most welcome to be of a different opinion than all the other people here.

Why do I hate Terre d'Hermès? And all the Creeds, esp. GIT? And Dior Homme (this stuff almost makes me puke)? And almost all the Chanels? And..............

Yes, Turin keeps comparing those two! They ARE very different, Chamade pour Homme very floral and peppery, Coriolan much more mellow. Still, there are some clear similarities in the drydown, and I sometimes suspect Chamade pour Homme to be one of Jean-Paul Guerlain's more daring studies for Coriolan... I assume his new leather will be even further turned away from the spicy-woody-green towards something even drier and darker.

I was so confused when I saw Chamade pour Homme on the counter next to L'Âme d'Un Héros, at 68, Avenue des Champs-Elysées, both in their respective Bee Bottles. Luca Turin claims in The Guide that they're one and the same, I smelled them both, they are not. CpH's is a dry, spicy leather chypre, while L'AdUH is juniper berry dominated Aromatic without any leather.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

L'Âme d'un Héros is a reformulation of Coriolan, as far as I've ever heard or read.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    L'Âme d'un Héros is a reformulation of Coriolan, as far as I've ever heard or read.
    That is absolutely correct! And IMO L'Âme d'un Héros is as different from Coriolan as the New Derby is to the old Derby... I liked it though quite a bit.

Mmmm Guerlain is my newest fixation. I profoundly worship the house and adore creations like L'Heure Bleue, Shalimar, Vol de Nuit, Habit Rouge, SdV, Bois d'Armenie and Jicky. I find all of these truly magnificent and other worldly

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I hear you, WindyCity!

I certainly hate Guerlain, too. I started the exact same thread last year on the women's board and got the same replies: You don't know all of their perfumes, they'll grow on you, you are no expert like me/us, it's a matter of concentration (and they always try to get you on that, because for this perfume, it must be the 1976 pure perfume, that you certainly like and until you haven't tried it, you can't judge the whole house, or for that perfume you should only try EdT and if you say: "I did", they say: "Try the EdP, silly" etc.).

You can't win by reasoning, because the "lovers" don't smell, what the "haters" smell. We "haters" perceive it differently and I have better to do than search every Guerlain for one bearable, whereas I could spend my nose and time on things I like. To give the "lovers" a picture: You don't go on a waste dump for hobby to find the one thing, that doesn't stink as much as the rest.

The nasty smell is probably the Guerlinade. You could torture me with Guerlain perfumes, especially L'Heure Blue and Shalimar. I cannot understand, why Jicky is called "perfume", to my nose it is bug spray - the really poison one from the 70s. I am a civet lover, but this makes even civet stink. I also hate Must, because it is pretty similiar to Shalimar and even a reminder like Roma repells me because of the resemblance.

I'm on the other hand a big admirer of stinkers, leathers, flowerbombs, 80s bombs and vintage perfumery, as it smells superior to me, so for me it can't be the Ol'Granny Style that repells me.

I also tried what was recommended in the mentioned thread: Spiriteuse Double Vanille and Sous Le Vent and I have to confess, that I don't dislike them as much as I hate almost every other Guerlain, but SDV is an overpriced one dimensional vanille and SLV is weak and overpriced, with an even weaker drydown, which is really unimpressing (it doesn't stink, though). There are dozens of supermarket perfumes out there, that I'd rather spend my money on (yeah, I know, I'm a philistine).

As for the respect for the history of the house: How can I have respect (which is a feeling) for a company, which products I loathe (a feeling)? That's not reasonable and doesn't have to offend anybody personally. I get, that they made a lot of popular perfumes, but I really dislike practically all of them, that makes it really hard for me to have a good feeling about the house at all. I'm on ignore terms with the house: I know, I don't have to try any of their products and I know, that it doesn't matter a bit.

I don't want to offend anybody and I really think, that you "lovers" perceive something else from the Guerlains, especially no garbage, and I certainly don't want to judge anybody for anything (I am a simple user, no perfumista). Maybe it is because I'm stupid or a layman, I don't know. I am happy for anybody who gets happy by anything, may it be Guerlain. That's just not my cup of tea. Definitaly.

I dare haters of Guerlain to try Cologne du 68. Seriously, it's sublime. And, IMHO, it's completely atypical of Guerlain, yet retaining a high level of quality that they are known for. Really, words don't describe how good Cd68 is.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 24th March 2010 at 07:25 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I personally doubt you will like it if you dislike the other Guerlains. It has a definite "Guerlainade" house note, and I suspect that is one of the things you dislike about the scents from this house.
    Mrclmind, I wonder whether what he dislikes about the other Guerlains he's sampled is, in fact, the Guerlinade. I'm not going to lie, I don't love old Guerlains, I can separate my dislike from my respect for their quality and historical influence though. There is a common thread that ties many of the "classic" Guerlains together, other than just the Guerlinade. They're all very "french", which is something that is an acquired taste, and not for everyone (it's not for me). I only get the Guerlinade in the late drydown, and by that point it's just a faint sweet whisper, that I find it hard to believe anyone disliking.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Mrclmind, I wonder whether what he dislikes about the other Guerlains he's sampled is, in fact, the Guerlinade. I'm not going to lie, I don't love old Guerlains, I can separate my dislike from my respect for their quality and historical influence though. There is a common thread that ties many of the "classic" Guerlains together, other than just the Guerlinade. They're all very "french", which is something that is an acquired taste, and not for everyone (it's not for me). I only get the Guerlinade in the late drydown, and by that point it's just a faint sweet whisper, that I find it hard to believe anyone disliking.
    Good points there. It's really hard to quantify what causes people's likes and dislikes... As far as Cologne du 68 goes, it's smells very "Guerlain" to me, but perhaps not to others. Anything is worth trying, but I wouldn't be surprised if he dislikes 68, given his dislike for the rest of this house's offerings.

I love Guerlain. In special VETIVER!

I tried to hate the new Guerlain Homme 'l'eau' when I tried at Shanghai Duty Free the other day but failed miserably . . . sorry.

I love Guerlain's Heritage, Habit Rouge and L'instant. The gourmady vanilla guerlainade in there just makes me keep smelling myself for more

But yeah, just because a fragance house dosent sing to you, dosent mean you have to hate them unless they give headaches or something.

With scent being so personal... what one loves, likes, dislikes, and downright hates is, too, personal.

I believe that I could identify a Guerlain blindfolded. And I'm enamored with the Guerlains I've tried so far.

(Just wish they had more tenacity on my skin.)

So sniff and decide based on your own senses, and let nobody else influence you, is what I say.

(and if you just end up loving something from a house you formerly hated, don't be surprised. Tastes change...)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

The blood rushes through my veins when I hear this despicable word: Guerlain. I repulse it and it's not a secret.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    The blood rushes through my veins when I hear this despicable word: Guerlain. I repulse it and it's not a secret.
    aww there there we still lub you

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    Why? Can't you just not smell any of their scents and save your blood pressure some wear and tear?

Why? Can't you just not smell any of their scents and save your blood pressure some wear and tear?
    I guess there are just some really mysterious things that are unexplainable in this world...

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    I guess there are just some really mysterious things that are unexplainable in this world...
    LOL! I couldn't agree with you more!

The only Guerlain that has wowed me is Eau Du Coq
    that has to be one of the most addictive scents ever
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    I agree, it is an exceptional EDC. I love a lot from this house, unlike the majority here on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    sadly only heritage is accessible for me and it has vowed me ever since!

the online translator translated it to water of cock LOL

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    sadly only heritage is accessible for me and it has vowed me ever since!

the online translator translated it to water of cock LOL
    Meaning "Rooster" of course
    Last edited by mrclmind; 26th March 2010 at 05:50 AM.

Meaning "Rooster" of course
    yep :P but if given the chance i do wanna sample it. Just that my $$ isnt that allowing

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I dare haters of Guerlain to try Cologne du 68. Seriously, it's sublime. And, IMHO, it's completely atypical of Guerlain, yet retaining a high level of quality that they are known for. Really, words don't describe how good Cd68 is.
    I don't count myself among the Guerlain haters (I'm more in the "you're not the house of me" camp), but I took the challenge nonetheless. Thanks for throwing down the gauntlet, mtg!

More than anything else, my reaction is...hmm! What an interesting choice of fragrance for the purpose of handing the haters their hats. I'm not familiar with Guerlain's other colognes, but I agree, this isn't anything that would make me think "Guerlain" if I tried it blind. On the other hand, I'm afraid the sublimity is passing me by - it seems pleasant enough but short-lived.

I get mostly opening notes of what I'd summarize as "key lime" (though it's apparently a mix of many hesperidic notes) and vanilla. The body brings out more of the spices, and the drydown is quite faint on me. Actually, the tail end is a bit sicky-sweet and smells a bit like toilet bowl cleaner (the blue squirt-under-the-rim type). I swabbed half of a 1mL sample, but after two hours I could only smell it right on skin.
    Last edited by NillaGoon; 6th April 2010 at 01:11 PM.

The popularity of this thread 'Why someone hates a commercial fragrance house'
    seems to me to be based on the premise that perfume is prinicipally, and solely,
    a fashion item (à la Chandler Burr).

When one treats perfume as a specific art form, the word 'hate' becomes absurd.

The lyrics of the Beatles didn't replace Sappho's poems.
    Last edited by jdemetre; 6th April 2010 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdemetre View Post
    Why? Because everyone loves all art?

Quote Originally Posted by jdemetre View Post
    The popularity of this thread 'Why someone hates a commercial fragrance house'
    seems to me to be based on the premise that perfume is prinicipally, and solely,
    a fashion item (à la Chandler Burr).

The lyrics of the Beatles didn't replace Sappho's poems.
    Give me a break.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    I don't count myself among the Guerlain haters (I'm more in the "you're not the house of me" camp), but I took the challenge nonetheless. Thanks for throwing down the gauntlet, mtg!

More than anything else, my reaction is...hmm! What an interesting choice of fragrance for the purpose of handing the haters their hats. I'm not familiar with Guerlain's other colognes, but I agree, this isn't anything that would make me think "Guerlain" if I tried it blind. On the other hand, I'm afraid the sublimity is passing me by - it seems pleasant enough but short-lived.

I get mostly opening notes of what I'd summarize as "key lime" (though it's apparently a mix of many hesperidic notes) and vanilla. The body brings out more of the spices, and the drydown is quite faint on me. Actually, the tail end is a bit sicky-sweet and smells a bit like toilet bowl cleaner (the blue squirt-under-the-rim type). I swabbed half of a 1mL sample, but after two hours I could only smell it right on skin.
    Well at least it didn't come off as "Guerlain"! Not everything will be for everyone, on me it lasts and lasts and lasts. And I definitely understand the sickly sweet comment, it can, and sometimes does come off like that, but for the other times, I just love it.

Yes! I may agree or disagree but I will defend to the death anyone's right to---Oh, I dunno.

Is this the right thread for an argument?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 6th April 2010 at 09:14 PM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    Is this the right thread for an argument?
    This isn't an argument - it's Guerlain abuse!

Why do I love Guerlain??