Code of Conduct

Thread: Courmarine

Post Thanks / Like

Default Courmarine

I used to enjoy the aquatic feeling that coumarine injects into fragrances but now I am very tired of it like a chronic nose fatigue. All fragrances that include coumarine in their formulas smell the same to me after less than one hour I am pretty much left with a shadow of the initial notes and a huge coumarine smell until the end of the fragrance life.

For example today I am wearing Polo Explorer and all I get is coumarine and a shy sweet note, yesterday I wore Polo Blue and the day before yesterday Donna Karan Men and it feels as I have been wearing the same for 3 consecutive days.
    Last edited by Basteri; 9th March 2010 at 05:26 PM.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Courmarine

Coumarine is basically tonka bean/sweet grass/hay, there's nothing aquatic about it as far as I know.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps the confusion is in spelling. The chemical is coumarin and it is derived from tonka bean or some grasses. It comes from the French coumarou (tonka bean). The chemical has a sweet, hay-like smell. Hope this helps.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

I think you might be thinking of calone, rather than coumarin.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Post Thanks / Like

Try getting your hands on Mouchoir de Monsieur or Cologne Imperiale which both contain a good whack of tonka. They are not grassy or aquatic in the least. The tonka adds a semi-sweet musky skin scent.

Post Thanks / Like

calone, that is what I tried to say but seems the coumarine also gives you that fresh aquatic note omnipresent in a gazillion fragrances. Today I tested again 1 million and Clinic Happy and they have the same calone vibe.

You want to know what coumarin is all about? Try Bois Blond. I think you'll realize it's not what you think you're smelling. And I think the others have it pegged correctly as calone.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 9th March 2010 at 07:02 PM.

Actually, coumarin is the antidote to fresh aquatic. As others have said here, coumarin on the contrary exhibits the sweetness of culinary delights, from aniseed and licorice notes as well as macaroons, salty toffees and blond tobacco all the way to hay and toasted bread (to quote Perfumeshrine). Basteri, it's not coumarin you're smelling, it's something else!

Post Thanks / Like

calone that is what it is. I got mixed up with the words.

Post Thanks / Like

Calone is an interesting smell...but I don't want it on me.

Love tonka though.

Post Thanks / Like

Chergui has a lot of coumarin in it.

There are two plants that grow around here that are loaded with coumarin. Sweet Woodruff (Asperula odorata) for one and Sweet Clover (Melilotus officinalis) for the other. These are the two most memorable for me, because they are so strong after they have been mewn. But lets not forget tobacco, which gives off coumarin as it dries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Coumarine is basically tonka bean/sweet grass/hay, there's nothing aquatic about it as far as I know.
    +1.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I hated calone, but I've come to realize I only hate it when it's used as a main note. When it's used very, very subtly, it can give things a dewy freshness, like in En Passant.

Post Thanks / Like

Going to close this since the compounds were mixed up and the replies are mainly focused on this, rather than the intention.
    Basteri, please post again about calone if you'd like to open up that discussion!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!