Code of Conduct

Default I want to sell some fragrances but I feel as if I will be losing alot of money

I know there is a specific forum for selling frags but that is not what I am doing just to be clear!

Back in high school I made a few cologne purchases and had received some frags as a gift. I realize now (about 5 years later) that the Curve Wave and Kenneth Cole Reaction I bought from a store are not exactly what I am looking for in cologne. Kenneth Cole Reaction pleases the nose but is very bland. Curve Wave smells like something a sophomore in high school would wear and not a junior in college. I also have one or two additional frags I would like to get rid of such as Tommy Freedom.

The colognes I bought will not sell for their full price of what I paid for them even though each cologne is about 95% full. What is the most efficient way to sell each fragrance while obtaining the maximum amount of money? I would try the swap but I know that no one would want the mentioned colognes in the thread. What is the most efficient was of going about this?

Default Re: I want to sell some fragrances but I feel as if I will be losing alot of money

If you've got other stuff you want to get rid of, list the frag on ebay with the other item, like a leather wallet you got as a gift and never used. This seems to help move it out at a reasonable price. Otherwise, I would say just list them as a lot on ebay and be done with them already! I just listed a lot of 8 new frags on ebay for $20 plus shipping, just to get rid of the stuff !
    Last edited by Bigsly; 9th March 2010 at 04:46 AM.

Dependent

Default Re: I want to sell some fragrances but I feel as if I will be losing alot of money

Try selling on Ebay? You most likely will not be able to get back close to what you paid (full retail?), but if you have absolutely no use for a bottle of something, any amount of money in exchange for it is a bonus.

Since you have come to the conclusion no one would want to swap for them, you should be prepared that no one will want to pay for them unless they were attractively much cheaper than what various discounters are selling them at, new.
    Last edited by MFJ; 9th March 2010 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike1990 View Post
    I know there is a specific forum for selling frags but that is not what I am doing just to be clear!

Back in high school I made a few cologne purchases and had received some frags as a gift. I realize now (about 5 years later) that the Curve Wave and Kenneth Cole Reaction I bought from a store are not exactly what I am looking for in cologne. Kenneth Cole Reaction pleases the nose but is very bland. Curve Wave smells like something a sophomore in high school would wear and not a junior in college. I also have one or two additional frags I would like to get rid of such as Tommy Freedom.

The colognes I bought will not sell for their full price of what I paid for them even though each cologne is about 95% full. What is the most efficient way to sell each fragrance while obtaining the maximum amount of money? I would try the swap but I know that no one would want the mentioned colognes in the thread. What is the most efficient was of going about this?
    Contact tswetcoff on YouTube, he swaps all the time. I think he'll like both of them. Also check out his videos he has A LOT! Half of his fragrances have been swaps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA8RbpAcWHo
    Last edited by Spray; 9th March 2010 at 07:21 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    Contact tswetcoff on YouTube, he swaps all the time. I think he'll like both of them.
    If anything, he'll be more than happy to review those two fragrances. He hasn't done one on Kenneth Cole Reaction and I know a lot of people wear it.

Depreciation is inevitable.

So don't be afraid to sell it at a loss! It's 'painful', but everyone here at some point has taken a big hit from depreciation.

Still, it really depends on where you live though. Say, if you were living in Thailand, it would probably sell at an acceptable price since a lot of people here still buy full retail / from duty free shops when going abroad. In the US, I doubt it would sell because of the abundance of discount stores -- both online and brick & mortar. My personal advice would be to...

1. Gift it.

2. Try to sell it to friends. (More than 70% of my designer scent sales are to friends living in the same apartment.) I feel better when I sell at a loss to friends than to strangers too.

3. Sell it with something else like Bigsly suggested.

4. Swap it.
    Last edited by moltening; 9th March 2010 at 05:10 AM.

It is one bitter truth that you have to accept my friend.

The board has a good information mechanism on the prevailing prices on different fragrance etailers and as a result the prevailing prices of most brand new bottles are heavily discounted. You just have to bite the bullet.

Think of it as a cost of your fragrant journey.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    if you have absolutely no use for a bottle of something, any amount of money in exchange for it is a bonus.
    +1, you'll be getting more money for them if you sell for a loss than if you don't sell them at all because you don't think it's fair. If you're not going to use them anyway, what's the point of keeping them around when you could get some money for them?

You're not going to be able to sell them for close to retail if they're used. Like any other item, fragrances loose a lot of their value the moment they're opened. Even NIB frags sell for 40-50% off retail on Ebay.

Think of the inverse of Ben Franklin's famous quote:

A penny not made is a penny lost.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 9th March 2010 at 03:00 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Banned
    Blog Entries

ebay duh

I'd put all of the ones you want to sell together as a "lot" and get whatever you can on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    ebay duh
    A three year old thread, I'm sure the op has made his decision by now. Duh.

Agree. He has moved on for sure.

Tricked again! What is it with the grave diggers?

The walking scents!

I tried to use eBay and it failed to sell three times.