Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts On Comme des Garçons, Parfum d'Empire and VC&A

I just placed an order for a bunch of samples from Luckyscent, and I was wondering what you guys thought about the following fragrances:

Comme des Garçons LUXE Patchouli
    Comme des Garçons 3
    Comme des Garçons Original
    Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe
    Parfum d'Empire Eau de Gloire
    Parfums de Nicolai Patchouli Homme
    Van Cleef & Arpels Cologne Noire

Thanks!!
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Default Re: Thoughts On Comme des Garçons, Parfum d'Empire and VC&A

Ambre Russe is heavenly amber and a wonderful scent. Eau de Gloire is very much, in my opinion, an eau fraiche scent in the inspiration of 19th century colognes.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    Parfums de Nicolai Patchouli Homme
    Got a sample of this when I ordered my bottle of PdN New York. Liked it a lot and subsequently ordered a bottle of it too!

Still waiting on delivery because they're currently out of stock.
    ~Mark~

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Ambre Russe is heavenly amber and a wonderful scent. Eau de Gloire is very much, in my opinion, an eau fraiche scent in the inspiration of 19th century colognes.
    those were the two I also wanted to comment on.
    AR is exactly as primrose said plain good, warm, soft, enjoyable amber without any of the aspects that sometimes turn me off of ambers, such as medicinal, pungent, sharp booze factors. Simply very, very nice.

Eau de Glorie seems to be a somewhat green, colognelike water, fresh and refreshing well, chypre I guess.Its individual aspects cant have caught my mind as I tested this one thoroughly yet cant really recall more than that.
    Looking my notes up I think it must have been the tea, as tea usually tends to give me some uneasy, etherical touch.

Basenotes Institution

CdG Patchouli is very immortelle prominent - if you like that note (and you have $ to burn) you might enjoy that one. If not, I can't imagine that impressing you.

CdG 3 is a metallic aromatic. It always reminds of something futuristic, with a strong synthetic basil note running through it. This is a love/hate fragrance. I owned a bottle, but ultimately it grated on my nerves when I wore it and I sold it. It wears surprisingly well in hot, sweltering weather.

CdG EdP Original is one of my favorite spicy scents. It smells a bit like medicine (it was supposed to 'smell like a drug' when it was marketed) and as a fan of clove and spice scents I feel perfectly comfortable wearing this. You have to be careful - and only apply this very lightly. Over applied it be a tad nauseating. IMO one of Buxton's classics.

The other 4 I am not familiar enough with, to comment on.

Good luck Windy. You're doing the right thing: sample, sample, sample!

Comme des Garçons Original
    5 Stars

As Mike said, best applied subtly, as there's nothing subtle about it. Transparent yet intense cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, honey, and something akin to sandalwood in the drydown. Great in cold weather; very warm.

Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe
    5 Stars

Completely over-the-top sweet, boozy, spicy, animalic amber. Another one with absolutely no subtlety and a lot of power. It's my favorite amber, though; there's nothing else like it.

Parfum d'Empire Eau de Gloire
    3 Stars

Very herbal eau de cologne-style fragrance. Not much I have to say on it, otherwise.

Since most of your favorite fragrances are subtle or mellow, I'm having a few doubts about you liking the first two. The third may be to your taste. I haven't tried the others.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 9th March 2010 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    CdG Patchouli is very immortelle prominent - if you like that note (and you have $ to burn) you might enjoy that one. If not, I can't imagine that impressing you.
    Well, I personally adore the maple syrup accord from the immortelle in Eau Noire. My only critique is that it's too subtle. So I'm hoping that CdG's Patchouli will pack more of an immortelle punch, while avoiding the musty, completely linear immortelle in Sables.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I'm a big fan of Eau de Gloire. Ambre Russe is not a favorite, though. There's something about the alcoholic and tea notes combined that gets on my nerves. There are several ambers I prefer to this one - MPG, 114, Ambre Sultan, etc.

Well, I can't help but think if you're getting them, why don't you wait until you get them, try them on, and then tell us what YOU think about them?

Seems like that's the done deal way, since your purchase is clearly a done deal and you've read reviews of them before making the purchase.

So YOU tell us WindyCity1014.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.