Code of Conduct

Default Make "Reply with Quote" automatic, and have messages group together (Office Outlook)

Suggestion(s) here.

1. Please, just make the reply with quote in the PM's automatic. I constantly have to go back and reread old messages or if I didn't save them when sent my decant swaps keep jumping all over the place.

Isn't this a lot of work and drains resources?? NO because in fact I can delete all the previous 10 messages and just look at the most recent one for the whole history.
    This also cuts down on the number of disputes because both sides have the same message history.

2. Second suggestion, is just to make it so that when I receive a response, all previous messages from the same user with teh same title get lumped together, like a conversation a la Gmail or Microsoft Office Outlook. This really streamlines the inbox...

PLEASE?! Any comments?
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Default Re: Make "Reply with Quote" automatic, and have messages group together (Office Outlook)

I just spotted below my messages that there's a "history" button. Is this new? am I blind?

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Blog Entries

Default Re: Make "Reply with Quote" automatic, and have messages group together (Office Outlook)

I think it depends on whether the feature you're requesting is available thru vBulletin. If they don't offer a preference or option for users to make things like "reply with quote" automatic, there's really nothing Grant can do to make it happen. Perhaps you could take the issue up with tptb at vBulletin (http://www.vbulletin.com/).
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

As a some-time vBulletin developer I can try and address these.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    Suggestion(s) here.

1. Please, just make the reply with quote in the PM's automatic. I constantly have to go back and reread old messages or if I didn't save them when sent my decant swaps keep jumping all over the place.

Isn't this a lot of work and drains resources?? NO because in fact I can delete all the previous 10 messages and just look at the most recent one for the whole history.
    This also cuts down on the number of disputes because both sides have the same message history.
    You can already do this simply by hitting "Reply with Quote" on the line below the PM. The fact is some people prefer to go one way or the other, so leaving both options open makes sense, and I'm not sure what message history has to do with it, if you're sending and receiving PMs to each other you're going to have the same message history in the long run regardless of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    2. Second suggestion, is just to make it so that when I receive a response, all previous messages from the same user with teh same title get lumped together, like a conversation a la Gmail or Microsoft Office Outlook. This really streamlines the inbox...
    There's nothing in the existing codebase to indicate they're moving towards this feature. Gmail is still very much cutting edge technology in terms of how it handles emails as conversations, and would require a total overhaul of the private messaging system which I don't see happening for a long time as every PHP programmer I know abides by the tenets of "If it ain't broke..." I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just saying that much of the development right now is in integration with expanding social platforms, and especially an overhaul of their Blog package which is quite anemic compared to a blogging suite like Wordpress.

Ultimately you'd want to ask the vBulletin team about those things, which is done via their official forum. You'll likely be asked to elaborate by Lynne or one of the other moderators but all the suggestions do get at least noted by the staff.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Great, thanks for the thorough responses you two.