Code of Conduct

Default Advice on what to add to beginners collection.....

Evening folks,

I have been lurking on here for a while, following hints and tips to find interesting scents for me and my girlfriend. I am now looking for advice on what to add to my modest collection. My collection currently consists of:

Creed Bois de Portugal
    Polo Black
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Rive Gauche
    Grey Flannel

I really like the style of the Rive gauche, but want to try a range of different scents – i.e not just woody/macho ones. Perhaps this is the reason that vetiver is growing on me. I have identified the following possibilities, but wonder what folks think would be the best choice, either because it would be the most different, or the most important “must have”.

Kouros Body Cologne
    M7 Cologne
    Opium Cologne

Guerlain
    Habit Rouge Cologne
    L'instant Cologne

Yatagan
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Terre Hermes

Any advice welcome and appreciated!!!
    Last edited by Crawf; 9th March 2010 at 09:51 PM.

Default Re: Advice on what to add to beginners collection.....

TPC has some fantastic men's sampler sets, if you can afford them.

you sound like a "classy" guy and many of your current ones (BdP, Vetiver, Flannel) are rather green or aromatic.
    I think you have a good list there that seem suitable for your style. I'm not sure if you want rec's that are similar, or quite different.

Personally I LOVE YSL opium and find it quite rich and spicy. Along those lines i'd suggest exploring something more like a vanilla or amber type frag, though maybe reserved more for winter. Burberry London's quite popular and I would compare it with Opium PH along with Yatagan etc. Basically a spicy woody type thing. Or try a warm gourmand. So something like L'Artisan Tea for Two, a smokey warm rich tea, or Bond #9, syrupy coffee, etc.

I think you can't go wrong with TdH and would recommend it over/instead of Aqua di Parma. Other groups I'd suggest is something for spring or summer, so either a citrus, aquatic, or lighter floral. anything from Bvlgari Blue to L'eau D'Issey to some of the traditional wetshaving frags (have you been to Badger and Blade? Just a hunch...)
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

This "hobby" is really like being in an "alternative universe." It's the real "Wonderland." One day I like something, the next day I don't. There do seem to be some "constants," such as my dislike of strong lavender, but at this point, with perhaps 100 bottles and more samples than that, I feel like a rudderless ship in a storm sometimes, but not necessarily in a "bad way." So, my advice is not to "force things," and buying a bunch of samples is a good way to go at this point. You can also buy a bunch of different "cheapos" with good reviews, which is what I did at first.

Thanks for the advice - was a relief to find it, as i was getting excited to find suggestions, but worried there wouldn't be any replies!

@Warlands - Thanks for the tip. I've had a look through the website, and its a great place for ideas. Not sure what their deal is on UK delivery.

@Master - Aspire to be "classy", but don't want to seem naff either. Guess i just feel that is something has been around long enough to become classic there must be something to it. Doesn't mean new stuff won't be good, but i'd like to know what to compare it to!

@Bigsly - I've been trying to follow the cheap-first philosphy. I'll happily pay more once i know i'll appreciate the difference!

I reckon i've narrowed my choices down to:

Opium
    Body Kouros
    Yatagan
    Habit Rouge

They're priced in that order*, and the idea is to get something maximally different to anything else i have. On which basis is, your winner is........!

* Economy first always preferred!
    Last edited by Crawf; 10th March 2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: clarity

From your list of finalists I would choose Yatagan (most different) and Habit Rouge (must have).

Yatagan isn't a blind buy so make sure you sample that one first.
    Last edited by adonis; 10th March 2010 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawf View Post
    @Warlands - Thanks for the tip. I've had a look through the website, and its a great place for ideas. Not sure what their deal is on UK delivery.
    Blind buying is ok for the "cheaper" frags (although I've ended up selling all my blind buys as I didn't like them), but TPC (or any other sample place) is essential if you're thinking about buying more expensive ones. I'm from the UK and they have delivered to me just fine, and relatively cheaply ($7.95). Good luck!
    Last edited by boosh; 10th March 2010 at 04:25 PM.

Dependent

Hi!

Looking at what you already own, I do reckon that you may enjoy Habit Rouge, L'Instant, Colonia and TDH. Though out of your shortlist, M7 and Yatagan are probably a little less safe, but are wonderful scents. I would recommend sampling M7. It is something that seems to be good for evening use and colder weather and is something very unique to what you already own.

Body Kouros, a sweet/gourmand type fragrane...I usually find them too sweet (Rochas) but here the sweetness is very well balanced.
    And while you're at it...do yourself a favor and sample the orginal Kouros. It took me a while to get used to but it really is an outstanding fragrance.

As for the Yatagan...i love it for it's sheer weirdness but i don't wear it all that often. Le troisieme homme (or the third man) by that same house is much more wearable and a real nice addition to your (classic) collection.
    Knize Ten !