Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with creating an English Barbershop themed fragrance wardrobe.

I have decided to have my entire fragrance wardrobe (4) of English Barbershop fragrances from Trumpers and Taylor of Old Bond Street. I have settled on Trumpers Sandalwood and Eucris for two of my 4 fragrance wardrobe.

1. For a suit and tie fragrance to wear to church as well as casual Sandalwood: Geo F Trumper Sandalwood
    2 & 3 For an everyday barbershop, soapy scent, this is where I am undecided: TOBS Eton College, Shaving Shop, Mr Taylor or Geo F Trumper Spanish Leather
    4. For a suit and tie fragrance to sear to church: Geo F Trumper Eucris

What would you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with creating an English Barbershop themed fragrance wardrobe.

Not sure...are we restricted to Trumpers and TOBS? I'm not too familar with them. Waiting for Eucris via Pony Express for the last week or so...

If not, I like Pens Racquets for a barbershop vibe.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 9th March 2010 at 11:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Pennhaligon's is out of the question due to its high price, and its too fancy for me. Taylors and Trumpers appeal to me because its a lower to middle of the road English barbershop theme.

Shmitty, I love TOBS and Trumper. I would say Eton College and Shaving Shop have more year-round and warm-weather appeal than the Mr. Taylor or Spanish Leather. I love Mr. Taylor, and it is truly a barbershop scent, but it has a big incense note that doesn't wear well in Texas July (I live in Garland, BTW...how "East" are you?). I would lean toward Shaving Shop over Eton College because its moss and cedar are less cloying than the drydown of Eton College, but you might give Taylor's No. 74 Victorian Limes or Trumper's GFT a whirl to get a more pure citrus that will not be stifling when the 33rd consecutive 100-degree day rolls around.

BTW, I think Spanish Leather is the best all-rounder of those you've named here, and I would pick it over Eucris, so take that into account when pondering my recommendations.

Best,
    T
    Last edited by TRBeck; 10th March 2010 at 04:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a pretty cool plan for a wardrobe. A gentleman's wardrobe.

No such wardrobe is complete without at least one true, blue, unadulterated fougere! And of course the MUST HAVE fougere is Wild Fern by Trumper. It's the best pure fougere I've ever smelled, hands down. It's crisp, green and beautiful.

Add to that a good leather scent, and you're complete. Personally, I'm not a fan of Spanish Leather, and I'd look beyond Trumper for a good leather. My pick? Worth Pour Homme, which is a very leather-heavy classical fougere.

BTW, excellent choices w/Eucris and Sandalwood by Trumper.
    Last edited by shamu1; 10th March 2010 at 02:40 AM.

I second Taylor of Old Bond Street. This is more reasonable and not expensive like Penhaligons. You may also wish to try D.R. Harris for some well-priced scents.

Do, however, save your pennies and buy some Penhaligon's some day as a treat for yourself. Ditto for Truefitt and Hill scents.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I think this is a pretty cool plan for a wardrobe. A gentleman's wardrobe.

No such wardrobe is complete without at least one true, blue, unadulterated fougere! And of course the MUST HAVE fougere is Wild Fern by Trumper. It's the best pure fougere I've ever smelled, hands down. It's crisp, green and beautiful.
    Excellent point. A real winner. Sadly, both it and the Trumper Sandalwood only come in the 50mL bottles which, at $60, exceed Penhaligon's 100mL bottles in price per mL. Nevertheless, I agree that owning a classic fougere is necessary, and either Trumper or Penhaligon's English Fern would be a fantastic choice.

Regards,
    T

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Ditto for Truefitt and Hill scents.
    I second this one. T&H are actually my favourite of the trad English houses, and they perhaps lean more towards the barbershop scents you're looking for - Trafalgar, 1805 and particularly Grafton are all great trad barbershop type frags, and Freshman and Clubman smell like more modern (even though both purport to be from the 1800s) and, in my opinion, successful attempts at the classic barbershop smell. I'm also a big fan of TOBS - excellent quality and value at a VERY good price point. All of TOBS "non-classic" range (ie everything apart from Lavender, Sandalwood and the two [dreadful] No. 74s) are variations on the barbershop frag theme.

I'm not a huge fan of Trumpers or Pen's (though admit to thinking they do at least each have one or two masterpieces to their name), nor do I think they've really got a true barbershop style scent - when I think of barbershop fougere I never think Fern as Trumpers and Pen's have it, rather I think more of Brut, one you might also consider. D R Harris are also pretty good, however they are all basically variations on the trad EDC theme - all very nice, but not really barbershoppy nor, sadly, particularly long lasting.

After T&H Grafton and most TOBS, two of the very best barbershop style scents I've personally come across are not English - La Perla by Grigio and the classic Spanish Floid, both of which to me are the most accurate liquid examples of walking into an early 20th century English barbers.
    Last edited by great_badir; 10th March 2010 at 08:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

T&H are tempting, but are a little to high end for me, unless I just wanted to stick with two colognes, which I don't.

Post Thanks / Like

Some Trumper's are high priced. I would suggest:

DR Harris Arlington and Traditional Cologne (100ml for around $40)
    A good bay rum (Dominca is about $10)
    Creed Royal Scottish Lavender (expensive, but worth it) contains lavender, vanilla, clove, and some say real ambergris.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I am now considering DR Harris Arlington as well, does anybody know if it lasts as long as the others?

Post Thanks / Like

But I LOVE the Eucris, it is a must have IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I have only smelled the TOBS shaving creams. Do the colognes match them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shmitty-the-loverboy View Post
    But I LOVE the Eucris, it is a must have IMO.
    Arlington is a great British cologne. It has very limited longevity given its citric-musk-herbs nature. Very good though!