Code of Conduct
    Hillaire

Default In Praise of Perfumed Accessories...

I love nothing more than to buy lotions and body creams (even shower gelees) that accompany my favorite scents!

The combination of a good body lotion with the perfumed layered over it, not only increases longevity ten-fold, it imparts to the scent experience a depth and more interesting character. Sometimes, it even makes the scent come to life! My Balmya , for example, is a nice enough scent --a simple woody rose -- but layerd with Balmya creme it's much much more: creamy, sweet, seductive even.

I have encountered some so so and some cheap quality accessories, but really adore my favorites. So I am eager to share the ones I think are stand outs!

It's my hope you will recommend some other really remarkable accompanying products, which are well-scented and/ or pretty to look at!

Diva body cream and lotion are positively fine! The creme is the most moisturizing I have. Moreover, the scent is good enough to make on drunk as well as scented enough to stand alone!

Niki de Saint Phalle
    body creme and lotion and bath gelee. Firstly, I cannot think of a more gorgeous display than the lead-heavy cobalt creme tub with a red and gold serpent relief lid. OR the lotion! Best looking house IMO. And the products are top notch, better than Sisley!

Soir de Lune, Eau de Campagne and Eau du Soir Bath gelee and lotions. So rich and creamy. The bath gelee is like "buttah", I love it. And these are certainly the most HEAVILY SCENTED of all the products I have.

Amouage - I only have a travel set, 1oz vials of Gold Shower gel and lotion, but it's like HOLY CRAP! good. The smell is actually totally unique and not the same as the fragrance; it's metallic and gorgeous, but together with the perfume, it creates a perfect harmony. Gosh I want some Dia products, too!

E.Coudray - This is more of a fine bath products house than anything, and the cremes are gorgeous, heavy and full of fine ingredients. The perfumes atop the products create something really indulgent, rose-laden, and body-producty! Like a day at the spa c. 1968.

Default Re: In Praise of Perfumed Accessories...

I never even thought of perfumed lotions until last week when I came across Joy body cream for 10 euro. The quality of the scent in it is fantastic. I have the parfum, and while I love the scent, I don't feel comfortable wearing it. I might just put some of the cream on the back of my hand now and then when I want to smell Joy.

Basenotes Plus

Hillaire,
    Great topic. When I saw the thread title I thought- cool- perfumed gloves are back in style! LOL

have to agree that using the other scented products really adds to the experience. I'm dating myslf when I say that I love the matching body powders, too. Nothing beats a soak or shower with the bath oil or gel, followed by the lotion, a dusting of powder, and finally a spritz the the scent itself. Heavenly! Bah-the newer scents don't even sell powder. Another reason to stick to the classics.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 10th March 2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: spelling- AGAIN

Basenotes Institution

I love perfumed accessories like anything but I don't tend to use a lot of them. I have to be in the mood for the whole shebang.
    I actually love using perfume more with unscented body lotion. I also sometimes think about the money I am spending on perfumed accessories that I could be spending on actual perfume .

E Coudray products are lovely ,Hillaire !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Wow, Hillaire - your posts always seem to hit my sweet spot! I agree with everything you said here. I love being pampered and (I feel like I've said this a hundred times before) I'm a glutton for perfumed body products, especially the body cremes which are the ultimate indulgence! And I like that in addition to making a scent last a whole day or more, they may be used in lieu of an edt or edp spray, which is a wonderful way to experience an otherwise overly-potent fragrance. Angel and Aromatics Elixir are two of my favorites, and they're perfect when you just don't want the full blast. They're very highly scented but soft - they envelop you in just the right amount of fragrance, they last all day, and they feel divine!

I have the Diva body creme, too, and now you're making me lust after the Balmya.

Some of the other cremes I enjoy are Safari, Ysatis, L'Instant de Guerlain, and Youth Dew, each of which can stand very fragrantly on its own. The Youth Dew body creme layers beautifully under other fragrances as well, providing a perfectly soft ambery base which can calm an overly aggressive or sharp scent, and mellow scents that tend to be very sweet.

My other favorite accessories are shampoos, conditioners and hair mists, when and where you can find them (and provided they're quality products.) I love the way my hair captures and disperses fragrance throughout the day, but I don't like the idea of spraying alcohol on it so much. I've had these products also in Angel, and boy was that a luxury! If the closest thing I can find is a body oil spray, I'll spritz a bit of that on my palms and run them through my hair.

I'll use the bath and shower lotions too, but I don't really count on them to scent me. They're just a wonderful way to enhance the bathing ritual, and I love how the fragrance lingers in the steam. Chanel's Coco is the most highly-scented shower gel I've ever had - it's fantastic! (I Chanel body products.)

Un profumo affettuoso

Very good topic.
    But - don't you feel that sometiems the body-lotions or shower gels DO NOT capture the original scent of the matching perfume?
    I'm glad you mentioned those which work for you. I'll look out for those.

In my experience, Chanel Body Products are true to the original scent. Chanel 5's shower and bath gel is very good.
    I also enjoy Youth DEW - bath oil - and I drop some of the bath oil into a neutral body-lotion - much cheaper than buying the body-cream - and just wonderful.
    Jil Sander Shower Gel (Sun) is good, too.
    I had Organza Body Lotion - very disappointing. Just as bad as the latest BLU by Bulgari - nearly no scent at all.
    Last year i treated myself to a MITSOUKO Body Cream - lovely, and the jar is so beautiful.

I was never a fan of Patou's Sublime until someone gifted me with the shower gel. Being in a steamy shower makes a scent expand and surround you in a way that is so different from spraying or dabbing.

I agree that bath accessories are getting rarer these days, especially getting anything in a matching soap.

I love soaps that match my perfume. Chanel No. 5 and a Gucci soap are some of the best I've tried. I had a Magie Noire soap back in the 80's that lasted for ages and smelled gorgeous, too.

I love bath oils and have Niki de Saint Phalle, Youth Dew and Norell, but I'm always looking for more.

I have not been crazy about any of the lotions I've tried. I think I need to reconsider how I use them. Most are not moisturizing enough to be used on their own (at least of the ones I've tried) and I end up applying over regular lotion and feeling greasy. For those who use lotions, do you apply it all over like a regular lotion, as a fragrance medium of its own, or as a scent extender for your perfume?

Blog Entries

I am a sucker for lotions & creams especially. Hillaire, I took the plunge and bought the jar of Gold Cream, and, OMG_ is it ever rich and beautiful! Talk about buttah! You must try this with the perfume, it is to die for!

Like knit-at-nite I was thinking of gloves, scarves, hankies, bracelets, pendants...

I am so picky about lotions and soaps that I think I have signature lotions and soaps (to make up for inability to settle on a signature scent? Hmmmm).
    I've never even tired perfumed lotions and creams that go with perfumes, except for the occasional gift.

However, you have triggered a long forgotten memory, Hillaire.

I used to use Ritz dusting powder (Charles of the Ritz) after every bath and shower. For years and years....I guess I finally used it up, and then it was discontinued, and eventually powder seemed too messy...A very fond memory all the same.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 10th March 2010 at 08:50 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I love scented soaps. The last ones we have used were Richard James (it came with the EDT), L'Occitane's Belle Mere soap in honeysuckle and lavender and Etiquette Bleue by D'Orsay. Such a treat.

I am also loving Narciso Rodriguez for Her lotion, which came as part of a gift set.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Jalé View Post
    Very good topic.
    But - don't you feel that sometiems the body-lotions or shower gels DO NOT capture the original scent of the matching perfume?
    I'm glad you mentioned those which work for you. I'll look out for those.

In my experience, Chanel Body Products are true to the original scent. Chanel 5's shower and bath gel is very good.
    I also enjoy Youth DEW - bath oil - and I drop some of the bath oil into a neutral body-lotion - much cheaper than buying the body-cream - and just wonderful.
    Jil Sander Shower Gel (Sun) is good, too.
    I had Organza Body Lotion - very disappointing. Just as bad as the latest BLU by Bulgari - nearly no scent at all.
    Last year i treated myself to a MITSOUKO Body Cream - lovely, and the jar is so beautiful.

Jale, I have , indeed encountered some scents that don't smell true to or complimentary to the fragrance. And it's infuriating! One was Mackie, a lotion I looked forward to. It ended up smelling of that saccharin note in Modern cheap Orientals and not much like Mackie at all; Moreover, it was a watery glycerin lube. YUK. Another bad one I got was a Chanel 19 lotion, which I think had turned, it was simply scentless.

Jil Sander seems to be a good line altogether, but I would not recommend their body "balms", which are true to scent, but not very moisture rich.

NLS, I do find some lotions too watery, and always opt for the jar cremes when available, which are decidedly nicer on the whole. Which I slather on with abandon, just like any other after bath moisturizer. Sometimes the lotions are just fine, though. Other favorites ( rich-enough lotions) are O de Lancome and Marc Jacobs (I am not crazy about this perfume, but as a lotion scent, it's really great!).

Evangeline, I almost forgot Safari creme! Gosh, I loved that junk. I looked it up on ebay, and one seller has some for 125 a pop. But it's divine and the jar is jewel worthy and a keepsake. Ysatis sounds promising. I bet it's hard to get, too.

Kumquat, I am drooling over the Gold creme! And your endorsement is doing nothing to temper my improvidence. Alas!
    Last edited by Hillaire; 10th March 2010 at 09:23 PM.

I agree. Lotions enhance the fragrance & longevity of perfume. My absolute favorite is Shalimar body cream. It is worth every penny...it is a GREAT moisturizer and lasts much longer than the edt or edp. Another favorite is Cristalle lotion. It smells wonderful and the lotion is appropriately "thin" for summer use. It is almost impossible to find, so Pechsniff's green chypre lotion is a close match and an even closer match to Diorella.

Oooooh yes...Amouage body products are definitely to die for!! I have these samples (travel size I'd say)of Gold Bath &Shower Gel, Gold Hand Cream and Reflection body Cream...wonderful!! Normally I don't buy them, so I only get them as an extra in a gift set or something like that..it's a pitty! But the problem is, when you change your fume every day, it's hard to really use them, except for special occasions..-