Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gourmand Coquin by Guerlain

So, yeah, as a fan of Guerlain in general and a bit nervous about the direction that the company is taking with most of it's newer releases...I was super shocked when I found myself falling for Gourmand Coquin.

First of all look at that bottle and that juice! Could it get any more girly? WTF? And then the other Elixir Charnels (which is what the 'line' this is in, is called) are sweet and a bit shallow...not a lot of depth going on. Similar to how many of the modern Guerlains seem to be inching towards (the newer Aqua Allegoria's; Guerlain Homme; Habit Rouge Sport; etc...). But after testing Gourmand Coquin for the past several months (from a sample) I'm completely hooked.

The chocolate note is sweet and a bit powdery. Not necessarily foody, but appetizing (it makes my stomach rumble - sort of like a cookie sheet just out of the oven might). There's an assortment of sweet sensations that sort of collide upon spraying it on - floral nectars, a whiff of icing sugar and that gourmet-cocoa-nib sort of chocolate accord that is the backbone of this fragrance.

It's not particularly complex during this stage - the wonderful gourmand effect is here to stay and I'm happier for it. But its when this stuff dries down, that I appreciate it even more. Because then, the Guerlinade arrives in spades: elegant vanilla, woods, those herbs, a tiny whiff of something like almond biscuit (and then more stomach rumbling).

I haven't smelled a sweet gourmand that I got this excited over, since Une Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale. It sort of surprised me, since when I first tested GC I kind of reeled back from the initial shock of sweetness. But ever since my nose became accustomed to it, now it doesn't smell nearly as sweet as it did - instead, it complements the overall effect beautifully.

There are a few gourmand Guerlains that achieve this effect, but most of them are ultra exclusives (Mon Precieux Nectar, 180 Ans de Guerlain, Quand Vient la Pluie), whereas GC might be a bit more realistic for me to splurge on.

I sprayed it on about 5 hours ago (I was generous w/ about 6 sprays) and the longevity and sillage of this is fantastic!

I remember Trebor talking about this back in '08, as one of the 'best chocolate scents' and I sort of understand what he meant now. So, anyone else out there a fan?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th March 2010 at 05:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gourmand Coquin by Guerlain

OK, so I have to go try this tomorrow!!! I think they have the entire Elixir Charnels line at the Gurelain boutique by my house.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I can understand why you like it, based on your love for SL Borneo 1834. To me, Gourmand Coquin is like a slightly more floral and sweet version, trending toward Angel but with the delicacy of Miss Dior Cherie (only better).

Post Thanks / Like

I am a big fan! Like Mike, I was very surprised to fall for this one. I bought my bottle in the company of other very special BNers, and I felt a little embarrassed to pick Gourmand Coquin over Sous le Vent, Attrape Coeur, and other delicious Guerlains.

The first time I tried it I went to breakfast with a girlfriend on a spring Sunday morning. At first I thought that all the wonderful pastry and chocolate smells were from the restaurant. When we came out and walked to the beach I realized to my amazement that the delicious aroma came from my perfume. I bought several decants after this, until we visited Nordstrom at South Coast Plaza, and there it was!!
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 10th March 2010 at 05:24 AM.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    To me, Gourmand Coquin is like a slightly more floral and sweet version, trending toward Angel but with the delicacy of Miss Dior Cherie (only better).
    Wow, your description gets my teeth aching!

Post Thanks / Like

mrclmind - you have a Guerlain Boutique 'by your house'! Was this accidental or was it the main reason you bought the house!!!!

I need to move!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I guess I see the Borneo 1834 reference...but still, this one has a character all it's own.

Whenever I think of B1834, I think of cool, mentholated chocolate - almost chalk-like in it's texture. GC on the other hand is velvety plush chocolate pastries. The addition of the Guerlinade just gives it that added kick, that pushes it over the edge into full bottle (or atleast large decant) territory for me.

I'd love to hear what you think about it mrclmind (and others).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th March 2010 at 05:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have it and love it. I would agree that I might have chosen a different color than pink for the juice to be a bit less girly, but it doesn't really matter I suppose. The GF loves it as well, and loves it on me (which is a plus). It's definitely one of the sweeter scents I wear, but it develops nicely on me and has enough depth and facets that it doesn't risk smelling too fem on me. We got our bottle at the EPCOT Guerlain boutique and even got it inscribed (awww).
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Like you Mike, I was surprised to find how much I like Gourmand Coquin! I had found the whole Elixirs line too fruit dominated so far, even the chypre, but Gourmand Coquin has the drier and more contemplative woody feel you normally get from Guerlain. The idea of the guerlinade is not only a fixed set of notes, but also a rather (seemingly) simplistic, almost bombastic and quite uncompromising way of composing - everything unnecessary cut away, only the simple idea left - and I like Gourmand Coquin for its bold chocolate imitation. A contemplative chocolate! Isn't that something? Still, I don't have the crave for the scent that I can have for Chamade, Samsara or L'Heure Bleue, I guess it doesn't give me the emotionality, the shivers, that I normally associate with Guerlain... so I don't think I'll own it beyond the sample...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention that when I was in NY (last year), and went out my first night in town to Bergdorf Goodmans.

I met a Guerlain rep Marie Line Patry (National Fragrance & Beauty Director). She spent a bunch of her time with Ray and I discussing Basenotes, Guerlain, her work history with them, etc. We smelled the new Les Secrets de Sophie scent, Tokyo and New York (from the Voyage Collection) together and she asked me if I was familiar with Gourmand Coquin. I told her yes, I had a sample of it at home, and I didn't like it...I found it a bit too sweet.

She proceeded to then tell me that she personally helped Sylvie Delacourte with the scent. I felt extremely embarrassed, but being the professional woman she was she didn't take my criticism personally but instead talked a few minutes about the inspiration behind the scent. She explained the word gourmand to Ray (who was unfamiliar with the term) and talked about how the forced sweetness was intentional but that they tried to use the best ingredients possible to achieve a more luxurious effect. I wouldn't say that this conversation changed the way I thought about GC, but it definitely allowed me the opportunity to take my sample and give it many more tries - which ultimately ended with me falling for this scent. Of course now I smell it, and I see in my minds eye that tiny, corner, be-jewled Guerlain boutique at Bergdorf's and Mademoiselle Patry's smiling face.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th March 2010 at 04:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is it located? I had no idea they had a boutique in So. Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    OK, so I have to go try this tomorrow!!! I think they have the entire Elixir Charnels line at the Gurelain boutique by my house.

Post Thanks / Like

Better to resuurect than start anew.

I really liked th delicate start on this but it quickly does down and the dry down is Spanish nonexistent really. I tried this at home, in the bedroom , an hour before going to bed while laying in bed with the iPad. I expected that any projection and/or silage would be optimum given my conditions . Nothing.
    Disappointing as I would probably not smell it at all if I were to leave home destined for work or socializing.

Anybody have the same effects ?

I tried it in Harrods a couple of weeks ago and really did love the bitter chocolate thing about it . I thought it was a definate lean in and take a sniff rather than a big Hello Dolly you can smell me 5 minutes before you see me entrance kind of perfume , nice but not 170 nice .

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I tried it in Harrods a couple of weeks ago and really did love the bitter chocolate thing about it . I thought it was a definate lean in and take a sniff rather than a big Hello Dolly you can smell me 5 minutes before you see me entrance kind of perfume , nice but not 170 nice .
    170!!! Weren't they around 120, when they were first released in 2008? That's a 50 price hike! Golly!

Yes, I nearly bought a bottle of this when it first came out but it's temperamental performance on my skin (both in terms of longevity and sillage) killed my love for it.

Here's the thread where it all began:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/219...late-scent-yet!
    Last edited by Trebor; 1st November 2010 at 02:29 AM.

I remember first reading your thread Trebor and thats why I was so excited to try it ! Maybe I will give it another try in the next couple of weeks . There were some bottles at the Guerlain counter I didnt recognise which warrant further investigation ! ...... You can tell I dont visit London often