Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default UPDATED JULY 20th 1st Annual US Basenotes Weekend July 24-25, 2010

We did a lot of little meet-ups all over the world last summer.
    Grant and Danielle have spoiled the UK Basenoters with all of their
    special events.
    Like those long ago freedom fighters in the Colonies us Yanks have to
    fight for our right to party.
    That means its time to stage a little revolution of our own.

This is an invitation to all US Basenoters and anyone else from anywhere
    else, including those across the pond, to attend the 1st Annual Basenotes
    US Weekend: The Boston (Scen)T Party taking place on Saturday and Sunday
    July 24-25, 2010.

1st Annual US Basenotes Weekend-Final Schedule
    Saturday July 24th
    9:30AM-Meet in the lobby of the Taj Hotel (15 Arlington St. Boston, MA 02116)
    10AM-12PM Choose your trip
    A.) T-ride to Harvard Sq. and a visit to Colonial Drug
    B.) Chanel & Hermes Boutiques
    To start the day we have a choice for those who are here to make. If you choose “A” you will take about a 20 minute subway ride to Harvard Sq. in Cambridge and visit Colonial Drug. Colonial Drug is a throwback to a more genteel age and they are stocked with various European fragrance lines not commonly available. One caveat is Colonial Drug does NOT take credit cards although they do take personal checks.
    If you choose “B” we will split the time between the Chanel Boutique where we will experience all of the Les Exclusifs which are available there and the Hermes Boutique which has all of the Hermessence line which are now available in mix-and-match travel sizes as well as other boutique only exclusives.
    1-3:30PM Saks Fifth Avenue Prudential
    The Boston Saks has a number of exclusive lines including By Kilian, Bond No. 9, and the only full Guerlain Boutique in New England. This goes along with all of the other exclusives to Saks.
    4-6 Cocktails at Neiman-Marcus Boston
    Neiman-Marcus is having a cocktail party for the Basenotes group along with all of their exclusive lines like Creed and Tom Ford Private Blend among others.
    6:30-8:00PM Barney’s New York Copley
    The Boston Barney’s has the full Frederic Malle line along with Byredo, Serge Lutens, The Different Company, and L’Artisan.
    Sunday July 25th
    11AM-2PM
    Sunday In The Park with Neil Morris- David Garten's Townhouse.
    VERY IMPORTANT-If you will not be joining us on Saturday you will need to PM me so I can give you David's address to join us.
    To bring this first weekend to a close we are going to spend some time with Boston’s own artisanal perfumer Neil Morris. Neil will share a number of his fragrances with us and most likely give a sneak peek into what he has coming in the future.
    Now you may wonder what this all going to cost. Unless we have to book a room for the Neil Morris get-together it will cost you nothing! I wanted to work with the local stores to try and keep the costs down and they all came through so there will be no additional cost beyond the ones incurred in getting to Boston.
    I hope this hasn’t come so late as to make it too difficult for people to attend and that as many of you that can make it will come to Boston in July.

If you are planning on attending please PM me and let me know so I can have an approximate head count. Also realize that you can join for as much or as little of this as you like.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 20th July 2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Details added

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Re: SAVE THE DATE: 1st Annual US Basenotes Weekend July 24-25, 2010

Husband Dan and I are making plans now to wrap a vacation around the Boston Basenotes experience. I hope we can tempt others to join in the fun.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: SAVE THE DATE: 1st Annual US Basenotes Weekend July 24-25, 2010

Wow, this is so cool. Love the agenda. You guys rock. Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Wow, this is so cool. Love the agenda. You guys rock. Good work!
    It is most assuredly cool, and SMM *DEFINITELY* rocks!!! I've got dibs on providing some low-budget (but highly entertaining) accommodations for some of the out-of-town BNers in need of a place to stay (PM me!).

Yay yay yay yay yay............
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

If I can swing it financially and otherwise, I am in, in, in. (I've only driven through Boston before so this would surely be a wonderful excuse to visit the city.)

I'm in the same boat. I'm in the LA area right now, but may be back in Ohio come June. Either way, I'm going to try and make it. I should know relatively soon

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

C H A N G E . O F . P L A N S …
    Dear husband said he’d rather invest his travel dollars and hours in different trips with me, so I now plan to travel to the Big Event by myself. I will be using my Amtrak miles to secure free transit one way — and that includes the use of sleeper accommodations. You (???) could share the sleeper with me (then you’d pay only for regular coach transit, but get to partake of the second bed in my sleeper and have access to the train’s shower), and we might split the cost of a sleeper for the return portion — or some odd combination of stuff, possibly including sharing a hotel room. If interested, PM me.

Travel would be between Chicago and Boston, and I plan on leaving a day early (Wednesday) so as to spend time in Framingham to meet with a landscaper friend who has offered to take me (us?) on a tour of natural areas there (such as Walden Pond). Because of the train’s schedule, this would put us in Framingham at 7 p.m. Thursday, so we’d spend the night in this suburb at an Econolodge (or some such). Friday would be for the green tour.

At one time there was discussion of a Friday-night event at Brielle’s house. Don’t know how likely that is to come to pass. And that would affect where we all ended up Friday night. Otherwise, we could spend another frugal night (Friday) in Framingham and then Saturday morn hop the commuter train ($7) to arrive conveniently in downtown Boston.

My plans may not be your idea of fun, but on the chance you like train travel and gardening almost as much as you like perfumes, we might make good travel partners.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quarry, I wish I were into gardening as you are, because I think you'd be a hoot as a travel partner. Unfortunately, my fear of insects and other creepy crawlies would harsh your buzz immediately. I am confident you will find a fun and compatible travel partner, though!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    Quarry, I wish I were into gardening as you are, because I think you'd be a hoot as a travel partner. Unfortunately, my fear of insects and other creepy crawlies would harsh your buzz immediately. I am confident you will find a fun and compatible travel partner, though!
    Uh! You were one of my “hopefuls.” Well, I can still anticipate we might rendezvous where we’ll be surrounded by concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Uh! You were one of my “hopefuls.” Well, I can still anticipate we might rendezvous where we’ll be surrounded by concrete.
    Ohhh, I am flattered, and now feeling badly! But yes, we will be able to rendezvous on terra most firma!

Okay, this special agent UBU is in! Just booked my flights & reserved a room at the Westin Riverfront ~ starting to get excited!!!
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 31st March 2010 at 10:49 PM.

Is there a specific area of downtown Boston to be looking at when choosing a hotel? As in, close to the events that will take place, etc?

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Hey, Leesee. I think Ubu’s referring to the Westin Waterfront. From one of her earlier posts:

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    My husband has offered Starwood Hotels Hot Rates for Friends & Family to anyone wanting a discounted upscale hotel room...you can make your reservations at ANY Westin Hotel at about 20 dollars over the employee rate...send me your e-mail address if you are interested! I believe the Boston location is The Westin Copely? (* This deal is typically based upon availability...but if you are booking months in advance, chances are very good you will get a great discounted rate!)
    Last edited by Quarry; 5th April 2010 at 12:24 AM. Reason: more info

Thanks, Quarry!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

My thoughts and plans change by the hour, perhaps due to information overload — but I do love you, dear Internet, I do!

For those for whom a pillow-soft bed and TV access aren't critical, there are hosteling opportunities conveniently located right downtown, so you can pay closer to $50 a night, rather than Boston’s going rate of $200.

Currently, I'm leaning toward making reservations at the Hotel 140, which is just around the corner from the train station where I would arrive and depart. The rate is about $150/night. The establishment is “boutique” and offers older architecture, which I particularly appreciate. I've marked the hotel on this map which shows all of Boston’s perfume hotspots.

FYI ~ I had originally planned on booking at the Westin Copely but, when inquiring about available rates, the Westin Waterfront was about 35% cheaper...so I went for that one. (There are 3 Westin Hotels in Boston.) They appear to be located within about 2 miles of one another, so that wasn't an issue for me. Just figuring the more I can save on travel expenses, the more $$$ in my wallet for frags!!!

Getting excited!!!!!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I can barely reach the keyboard because I’ve been laid flat on the floor by Brielle’s sweetness. It looks like I will be soaking up the atmosphere of her historic house and enjoying the guest room for my stay. Talk about more moolah for smellies! And don’t think I’m not fixated on meaningful ways to compensate my hostess, although I know it’s not expected. I do have certain strengths that I can bring to the party. Brielle + old architecture + perfume. Honest to goodness. It’s like a sketch of heaven itself. Somebody trank me!

Basenotes Plus

I will be driving up from NJ. Don't yet know where I'll be staying but if any local NYC folks want to hook up & ride north w/me, send me a pm.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I can barely reach the keyboard because I’ve been laid flat on the floor by Brielle’s sweetness. It looks like I will be soaking up the atmosphere of her historic house and enjoying the guest room for my stay. Talk about more moolah for smellies! And don’t think I’m not fixated on meaningful ways to compensate my hostess, although I know it’s not expected. I do have certain strengths that I can bring to the party. Brielle + old architecture + perfume. Honest to goodness. It’s like a sketch of heaven itself. Somebody trank me!
    Joy! What a dream come true for you! But guess what...Brielle doesn't know how lucky SHE is!!!
    I have a feeling the two of you will be like peas in a pod before the end of July! xoxo

Basenotes Plus

so......there is a possibility my job will send me to Boston for a conference July 21-23, and I could stay through the weekend. Is there a schedule of sorts for this fragrance extravaganza as of yet?

Still trying to herd cats to get the schedule completely nailed down but in broad terms we will be going from 10AM until 8PM on Saturday and from 11AM until 3PM on Sunday.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the update, sweetie, and for wrestlin’ them thar kitties.

Basenotes Plus

Edited to add: My business trip is official! Whopee I'll be there and I"ve convinced my local cousin to join in, as well...such fun

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Still trying to herd cats to get the schedule completely nailed down but in broad terms we will be going from 10AM until 8PM on Saturday and from 11AM until 3PM on Sunday.
    Broad terms are very helpful at this point ---Thanks SMM, legendary herder of cats
    Last edited by knit at nite; 30th May 2010 at 03:06 AM. Reason: adding

Wow, am I ever tempted to join in! I've been googling costs and thinking what a wonderful experience that would be. I'd be coming from western Canada; I've never been to Boston. Maybe I'm way too much of a newbie and user of mainstream fragrances? The itinerary sounds awesome, and I'd learn so much, not to mention be able to meet some well-respected Basenoters!

Thumbs up Re: SAVE THE DATE: 1st Annual US Basenotes Weekend July 24-25, 2010

I live right up the road from Boston--in Woburn--and I am hoping to attend at least some of the festivites. Plus, I really want to meet some of you Basenoters! I am somewhat of a newbie who collects mostly vintage frags so I'm looking forward to meeting the less experienced folk (hope you'll come) as well as the established perfume peeps. Can't wait to meet you all and participate in the perfume revelry!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitelace View Post
    Wow, am I ever tempted to join in! I've been googling costs and thinking what a wonderful experience that would be. I'd be coming from western Canada; I've never been to Boston. Maybe I'm way too much of a newbie and user of mainstream fragrances? The itinerary sounds awesome, and I'd learn so much, not to mention be able to meet some well-respected Basenoters!
    Could be that after you meet some of us you may not respect us as highly, but you just might love us a bunch.
    This is all about fun, so if you’re into fun, you’re qualified. What better way to try lots of stuff and try diverting from the mainstream?
    My natural paranoia and pessimism keep warning me that something could get in the way of my plans, but my heart’s already on the eastbound train.
    Last edited by Quarry; 17th May 2010 at 11:47 PM.

Each basenoter is a welcomed addition!

What a fabulous plan and terrific line-up, SMM.
    I"ll be on a trip with my parents, DH and some friends far from Boston, but will be thinking of all of you and eager to see pix!
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 26th May 2010 at 01:12 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

SMM, can you please confirm which places we'll be visiting which days? Thank you

Still trying to nail down times but the tentative places we will be going to are on saturday:
    Saks, Chanel & Hermes, Barney's and Neiman-Marcus
    On Sunday
    Brunch with Neil Morris (very tentative as I'm still trying to nail down place and time) Possibility to move Barney's to Sunday morning and Neil to Saturday.
    This is like herding cats and I am hopeful that by Friday I will have this all nailed down.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I'm going to make my reservations now. I'm going to leave Sunday on the noon train, so whatever goes on that day, looks like I'm out of it.

Mark, can you tell us when and where we'll meet up on Friday for the drive to Brielle's? I'll be staying in Framingham Thursday night, and need to know which commuter train I have to catch and which stop I should get off at in order to connect with you fine people.

I am so excited about our get-together. I do hope everyone will be able to visit chez-nous for a nice meal on Friday. I will keep it informal (buffet style) so we will have more time for smellies.
    We are almost finished with the house, after 8 months its about time, well finished for the moment. So I hope everyone will enjoy my 1780 colonial.
    Please feel free to let me know of any dietary restrictions so I can work with them. i am going to be doing a few vegetarian dishes, for my darling ComDiva, so do not hesitate to let me know. On that note, I hope everyone enjoys homemade lasagna, meat free, lots of cheese and more cheese.
    And, mousse au chocolat.
    Oh, I am just tickled...
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

For all UK-based Basenoters and anyone who can make it to London in July, please save the dates between 14th and 18th of July if you're interested in a fun perfume event. You get to pick the day that best suits you out of those.

ALSO - all of you with amazing perfume collections, some cool stories to tell about your perfume passion, please see here and I'll explain more in a PM: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/254452-I-want-you!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Did someone say cheese?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Folks, this is important to know to avoid disappointment:

Colonial Drugs, that haven of 1000+ HTF perfumes in Cambridge, does not take credit cards!
    I just checked with them and this is still their policy.
    They take cash and checks.

Basenotes Plus

Good looking out 30 Roses!

Nukapai- that sound great- wish I was retired and could do both trips.

yoo hoo, Mark/SMM ..... legendary cat herder. Will some of our activities require any admission fees separate from our personal purchasing, eating, drinking and transpo costs??
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

For that matter, a reminder that Neiman Marcus doesn't take either Visa or Mastercard.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Good reminders, 30 Roses. I wrote to Colonial Drug yesterday (and included a link to this thread) to ask if they might have at least a loose list of brands they usually have in stock and specifically if they carry i Coloniali Yuzu. This was Cathy's response:

Great to hear from you. So glad that you like our window! We are working on bringing back the Coloniali line including YUZU. We will keep you on the notification list for it. How many people do you expect for your meeting? Have a great week-end. Cheers! Cathy B, Colonial D

I wrote back telling her I think we have about 10 confirmed. I also mentioned I knew they carried the Knize line, hoping she'd remember I was inquiring about that "loose list" of brands.

Who do we know is going for sure? Brielle and her DH, SMM, ComDiva, Chaya, Knit, Ubu, RHM, Leesee, Pomander, me — that's 11. 30R, are you coming??? Whitelace? Queen Cupcake? At one time Nukapai was hoping to make it. I was wondering what happened to Ed Caruthers, too.

Basenotes Plus

I'm bringing my local cousin Pat, too- her world will be rocked!
    A Scent Rescuer

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

We take family trips to Boston each summer with our teenaged daughter, which include museum visits, shopping (including perfumes), the Boston Common (swan boats etc.) We are overdue for a return trip to the museum of Natural History at Harvard and I would love a repeat visit to the MFA-- looove seeing Dance At Bougival!

I think while she is young it's better for us to continue taking her on these family type outings. So, no, I'm afraid I won't be there....

I'm so glad this has come together, and can't wait to go 'asniffin' with everyone !
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Yay pomander!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Still trying to nail down times but the tentative places we will be going to are on saturday:
    Saks, Chanel & Hermes, Barney's and Neiman-Marcus
    On Sunday
    Brunch with Neil Morris (very tentative as I'm still trying to nail down place and time) Possibility to move Barney's to Sunday morning and Neil to Saturday.
    This is like herding cats and I am hopeful that by Friday I will have this all nailed down.
    That was Friday, June 11.

Life has a way of getting in the way....Booo life!!!
    But I'm back and ready to schedule things.
    Full schedule up by the end of the day (US time) in this post today June 28th

Default Re: UPDATED JUNE 28th 1st Annual US Basenotes Weekend July 24-25, 2010

See 1st post for full schedule.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

W H A - H O O!
    Mwah Mwah Mwah SUPERMetroMan
    Last edited by Quarry; 28th June 2010 at 10:07 PM.

Basenotes Plus

The itinerary is fabulous, SMM. Are there any special exercises I can do to get the schnozz in shape for all that SNIFFING??!!!! OMG, I am getting soooooooo excited.....
    A Scent Rescuer

While I cannot attend, I just wanted to write and say how amazing and gracious you are to put together such an event. I will certainly be wishing you and all attendees a super weekend! Thanks again for your generosity!

I've had some unexpected expenses this summer so the money I was going to use for coming to Boston has been eradicated. I may decide to come at the last minute, and if I do, I will try to catch up to the group to at least introduce myself, etc. It is wonderful of Mark to arrange all of this and I hope everyone has a wonderful time.

Leesee-

I'm sorry to miss you-
    But I clearly appreciate your situation

Thank you, chaya. I was so looking forward to this, and to meeting you and the others. Maybe next year. . . . But I know you all will have a grand time together, and I cannot wait to hear about everyone's adventures.

Leesee -

We'll miss meeting you, but we'll do some extra sniffing in your honor!
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Thank you, pomander!

Oh Leesee. I am so sorry you will not be joining us. Just know that if ever you are in the northeast, my home is open to you. Feel free to come and stay awhile anytime. We could do our own sniffing excursion. Hell, we could just go into my wardrobe and have a sniffing excursion spanning the last century.
    Do know that you "will" be missed.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

I do look forward to seeing posts of all the fun! My heart will be with you all.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Awww, Primrose. I vow to take pix and spill all the beans on Boston.
    Those of us who will be traveling will be extracting the maximum fun and adventure. I virtually envy myself!
    I get on the train one week from today!!!!!!!!

summer means fireflys

I can feel your excitement! I wish I were going ...

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I wish you were, too, Shades. I've long had this feeling we'd share each other's company one day. Maybe next year.
    Last edited by Quarry; 15th July 2010 at 06:38 PM.

Brielle, I appreciate your post so much. Thank you! And if I do get to visit the northeast, I would love to come and see you and do some sniffaging!

Basenotes Plus

We won't be going after all and I'm sad about it.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme