Code of Conduct

Talking Rive Gauche Question(s)

These are questions for people that are familiar with this fragrance.

How many hours of longevity do you get ?

Is it offensive ?

I read that it's a mature fragrance, what do you think ?

Give it a mark from 1 to 10.

Alright, thanks in advance.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Default Re: Rive Gauche Question(s)

Wearing it today actually. I get minimum 8 hours out of it, and I have persnickty skin- most scents only go 5-6 hours on me. It's not "pounding" at the end of a work day, but it's there It is an oft discussed frag and most people note it to be long lasting.

"Offensive" is a bit subjective, but nonetheless I'll say it would be hard to imagine who would be offended by this. As a YSL scent,. it's nothing like Kouros if that's your concern.

The mature thing is this. It has a barbershop vibe to it, no doubt. It smells to me and many others very much like a spicy version of Barbasol shave cream. I think it would be sorta goofy on someone under 21 or so. But it's not a "grandpa" scent. Mid 20s to mid 30s- it would vary with your own personal taste and opinion.

It's also a very versatile scent. I wear with anything /everything.

I have a lot of high priced shyt and this one is a champ for me especially given the price. Love it. A "10"

The "hours of longevity" depends on how much you spray - let's just say longevity is good.

No it is not offensive.

I don't believe it's a mature fragrance - if by that you mean 'young people' shouldn't wear it; or that if they do 'they'll smell like an old man'. I'm on my own a bit when I say it's a pleasant sweet-ish liquorice / aniseed scent. Nothing more.

7 /10

The aluminium cannister makes it my travel scent, and indeed SOTD.
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 10th March 2010 at 11:03 PM.

This is one of those scents that you suspect will be offensive when you smell it on yourself but to others it's a rather soapy fresh more mature scent and not you're typical fresh aquatic scent. The longevity is decent, sillage is moderate to low but it's pretty subtle overall.

Overall, yes it is a mature fragrance although if you like it then wear it.
    Longevity is about average.
    Sillage is average to close to the skin although if you overspray the scent gets cloying.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Longevity - fairly decent. I'd say about 6+ hours at the least (consistently)
    Offensive - Personally I think the star anise in the opening is a bit harsh. It always agitates me a little to be honest. It's nothing major, but my own opinion.
    Maturity - It's very oldschool. That barbershop/soap/clean smell, I imagine the older gentleman who actually got haircuts in those places would relate to it more than today's younger generation. For that reason I think it's sophisticated as hell - compliments a well dressed man in a suit very well.

Overall an 8/10. It's nice, but personally I think it's a bit overrated.

Longevity: Above average
    Offensive: I don't think so, but I'm often amazed at what offends people these days...
    Maturity: Yes in the sense that a kid couldn't pull it off, but it's fine for anyone in their 20's on up...

Overall: Very solid, versatile, though not spectacular 8.5/10

BTW, here are 128 other opinions on RG free of charge...

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122758/reviews.html

On me this lasts 7-8 hours at least. I would not call it offensive in the least. It's very clean smelling so that just about anybody could wear it. It's one of my favorite fragrances, so I give it a 9 out of 10.

Longevity: 10+ hours at least
    Offensive: Not at all. I've gotten big compliments with this one.
    Maturity: I'm in college and wear it just fine.
    Overall: 8.5/10

I can´t tell you for sure, how long others can detect it, but I remember smelling it 24 hours after application the last time I wore it. Sillage is at least moderate. It starts out loud though.

My GF always says: " Ugh! Not Rive Gauche again, you smell like an old man." But a few hours later she says:"Hmmmmmm... what is it again that you´re wearing? You smell damn good!!"

When I sampled this for the first time, that was exactly, what I was thinking. Meanwhile I`ve become accustomed to the opening and I even like it. Maybe because I know what´s to come.

Give it a try!

I prefer Rive Intense as I find it deeper and more intriguing than the normal Rive Gauche PH
    it lasts over 12 hours on me and it doesn't travel very far (sillage is not that great)
    nontheless, everytime I smell it on me, it makes me feel cleaner, so thats why I like it
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Longevity: Over 24 hours but doesn't project well after 4 hours
    Offensive: Inoffensive
    Maturity: As mature as Old Spice (still modern, and you can ride horses backwards)

Overall: 10/10 Hits the spot when you're in the mood to be the alpha male

I get about 8 good hours out of this one. And it's one of the most inoffensive scents I know, and I think any Gentlemen with Class could wear this

Longevity is good. Offensive - no IMO

Longevity: Above average.
    Offensive: Not at all, IMHO.
    Maturity: Def. not for kids nor metrosexuals. It has a conservative style, due to the fact,as everybody said, it has a strong "barbershop" notes.
    Overall: 8/10

Longevity- 6/10 on me
    Offensiveness- a clear 10, as sing of my clear appreciation for its total inoffensiveness
    Maturity- 9,5/10, and even the missing 0,5 indicate that it's definitely not immature, but just by 0,5 points closer to modernity, in spite of the very classic overall impression

How many hours of longevity do you get ? 6 SPRAYS- 4HRS GOOD PROJECTION, 8 HRS DETECTION

Is it offensive ? NOT TO ME, BUT MY GF IS NOT KEEN ON IT- SHE THINKS IT SMELLS 'DATED' (I LOVE IT)

I read that it's a mature fragrance, what do you think ? 25/30 AND OVER WOULD BE WHERE I'D PIGEON-HOLE IT IF I HAD TO

Marks out of 10: 8/10
    Last edited by morrison74; 12th March 2010 at 11:40 AM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I love this scent. I've only been acquainted with it for a few months now, but I've gotta say it's one of my faves. Like has already been mentioned, it is very versatile. Can dress it up or down. As for longevity, for me it's between 7-8 hours. That's good in my book. Mature? Fairly. The barbershop vibe, obviously. It's, in my opinion, one of those scents for somebody who's comfortable and isn't desperate to be cool or hip. Somebody that's confident and secure in who they are, which unfortunately, most 20 somethings are not. That's my two cents anyway. Hope this thread has helped. Have a great one!

Honestly, I think in terms of longevity and sillage, Rive Gauche is a near-perfect scent. It lasts all day and sillage is very consistent that whole time - pronounced, steady, but not overwhelming.

Matureness - BS, anyone can wear it. Don't confuse "barbershop" with "mature scent." There are definitely scents that I would not recommend to young men. This is not one of them. I find it pretty modern for its type.

Critique - There's a synthetic plasticy note that runs through the heart and base that I can't help but notice.

Overall - 6.5/10, points off due to the plastic note I pick up.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 11th March 2010 at 04:10 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

i tried this on paper. i didn't like the initial blast. it felt too sharp. should i try this on skin? i didn't get the barbershop vibe but barbasol was not something i grew up on. and maybe i would get it if i had tried it on skin. ah who knows. another chance? what say ye?

Not easy to pull off, at a young age anyway. I wear it sometimes. Great strength/longevity
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.

Quote Originally Posted by krillin View Post
    i tried this on paper. i didn't like the initial blast. it felt too sharp. should i try this on skin? i didn't get the barbershop vibe but barbasol was not something i grew up on. and maybe i would get it if i had tried it on skin. ah who knows. another chance? what say ye?
    I don't notice much difference between paper and skin for this one. Still, the initial blast subsides after 30 minutes and you'll get a manly/powdery mix. I do 4 sprays to the center of my chest (none on exposed skin since it projects too much the first hour).

After giving this a proper test :
    Longevity: 8 hrs minimum
    Offensive: No way . . . . the opening note was a little odd for me but midway in it turned that magic corner. Good stuff
    Maturity: Not old if that's what you mean and it isn't particularly 'barbershop' either. IMO it's good for any age who knows who and what they are and
    can consistently walk their talk
    Rating: 8/10

How many hours of longevity do you get ? All day and then some.

Is it offensive ? No. But it would be easy to over-spray this fragrance.

I read that it's a mature fragrance, what do you think ? Not really, as long as the young man is confident enough to wear it.

Give it a mark from 1 to 10. 8.5
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    How many hours of longevity do you get ? All day and then some.

Is it offensive ? No. But it would be easy to over-spray this fragrance.

I read that it's a mature fragrance, what do you think ? Not really, as long as the young man is confident enough to wear it.

Give it a mark from 1 to 10. 8.5
    Same. Couldn't have said it any better.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

I wore it today too, on a suit-and-tie business trip. Still had a nice, faint whiff of it ten hours later, when I got home. It's a good one for business, but don't spray too much. Just a quick shot or two.

Here are my honest stats':

Longevity: Is just a tidbit above average...Isn't exceedingly superior...has it's flaws though If applied heavily..*Ie; like all frags* It'll last the whole day...that is based off a good 7 - 10 sprays! The Vetiver is the most dominant note for me and lingers throughout; abided by Patchoulli and various spices...Though it does
    wear-off and commove into a sorta' saccharine frag...*In My Opinion, and that's when I detect Gourmand Notes*.

Offensive: IMHO...Not At All..Is Extremely Germane and Applauded by others. It's counterpart filial.."Kouros" is the one to watch out for when connoted into terms of offensiveness.

Complexity - 4/5
    Longevity - 3.5/5
    Overall Scent - 4.5/5
    Relevant Appeal To The Mecca's - 4.5/5

An Overall Gosh Diddily Darn' Fine Scent!

- Balava -
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Rive Gauche is one of my personal favorites. I don't think others find it offensive. For me, it draws many compliments on how clean it smells, or I am asked what cologne I am wearing. As far as a mature frag goes, I believe any age could pull this one off. I typically use, one shot to the chest, and one to the back of my neck for this frag. An excellent choice for any day of the year.

Rive Gauche has amazing lasting power. all day is not an exaggerate. it is never offensive, on the contrary, the smell is very clean, barbershop clean.
    it is not a mature scent, it is simply a very good scent. 10/10

In my experience, Rive Gauche is extremely long lasting. The effects of a few generous sprays at about 7:30 in the morning can still be felt at 5 or 6 in the evening.

I can see why some would consider it a 'mature' scent as it doesn't necessarily scream 'clean, healthy, short-back-and-sides, all-American wholesome'. It definitely draws its inspiration from the planet's dustier, warmer climes, although it doesn't have any of the brash, sandalwood-based, borderline-unwashed showiness of some typically Arabic scents. The patchouli and spices are very slick and streamlined.

It's easily one of the favourites in my collection, mainly because it's fairly unusual and it manages to be intriguing without being off-putting.

7 out of 10.

Hope this helps :-)
    Last edited by Persolaise; 12th March 2010 at 04:25 PM.
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Persolaise nailed it for if or not it's mature.

I'd personally say that it's a very good fragrance, ESPECIALLY considering the price you pay for it.

It is well deserved here at BN, and a fragrance cannot win so many hearts here (these guys are brutal in they choose - what's not good, they bury it).

Rive Gauche has 100+ positive reviews and that's something you might want to think over. Sure, there are some people who don't like it, but it's impossible to please everyone. I suggest that you try a vial and I bet you'll most likely be ordering it sooner.

And oh, it isn't offensive and I'd give it a solid 8/10.