Code of Conduct

Default Applying cologne after shaving

I am sure every single basenote member here has ran into this problem. You just get out of the shower after shaving your face, dry off your body, whatever you guys do. Go straight for the cologne and give a few shots to your neck. The result? It really burns for a good 5 seconds.

What do most of you guys do? Wait a little while to apply your frag after showering? Take it like a man and power your way through the burn? Some secret lotion you apply to your face before spraying your cologne?

I personally just spray and take the pain like a man. I cringe and a small tear may roll down my cheek but you gotta to what you gotta do!
    Last edited by mike1990; 10th March 2010 at 09:09 PM.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Applying cologne after shaving

I don't apply fragrance to the area on/near my face that I shave.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

After my shower i dry off, goto my room and apply moisturizer to my face/body. Wait til it dries then apply frag. No burn at all

Because I suffer from very sensitive and drying skin (and have the "luxury" of fare hair and the inability to grow proper facial fuzz), I shave in the evening before bed and use a toner and moisturiser. By morning when I musk up there's no burn to worry about.

But the consensus is if you're applying a frag straight or soon after shaving, as petruccijc says don't apply to the areas where you have shaved - go for behind the ears and/or shoulders and back of the neck - EDCs, EDTs and EDPs have a much higher concentration of oils than AS, and oil does not go well with freshly shaved and brand new skin.

I'm not a neck sprayer, but if I were I would definitely prep the area first. I prefer aftershave balms to splashes, especially those containing alcohol, due to the extra moisture they provide. I imagine this would go a long way to alleviating your painful daily ritual. Welcome to Basenotes!

There is lotion called Witch Hazel which you apply after shaving that acts as an astringent. It doesn't burn as much as an alcohol splash, but if you were to apply your cologne after applying the witch hazel it shouldn't burn as much. Alternatively you can use a after shave balm, D R Harris make good AS balms, that will take away the sting, then apply your cologne. Both methods should significantly alleviate the burn factor when applying cologne after your shave.

Good luck

I only spray on my chest. It works.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    AbdesSalaam Attar, Naomi Goodsir, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, L'Atelier de Givenchy, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse, by Kilian, and Oliver & Co. splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

I always spray my chest and then usually behind my ears. I NEVER spray my wrists, for some reason I get no longevity when I apply there. But yeah that burn sucks, i try not to shave right before I leave the house because my skin is sensitive on my neck and I get razor burn very easy....so I try and just shave the night before. But the burn doesn't bother me too much, it sucks but it only last a few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer350 View Post
    I always spray my chest and then usually behind my ears. I NEVER spray my wrists, for some reason I get no longevity when I apply there. But yeah that burn sucks, i try not to shave right before I leave the house because my skin is sensitive on my neck and I get razor burn very easy....so I try and just shave the night before. But the burn doesn't bother me too much, it sucks but it only last a few seconds.
    I also no longer spray on my wrists. I see no point in it really. It barely lasts on me as well. I remember reading a post where a member said they spray the back of their hands. I will only assume this member does not wash his hands.

I can only shave once every three days or else I might as well be using a cheese grater for all it's worth. That being said, I look forward to the post shave application. My opinion is it doesn't hurt so much as a fierce tingle. I like it, it has a "wake me up" appeal and call me wierd but it's part of the shaving experience for me lol

Edit: Strange, the word worth appears twice above but when I try to edit it out it only appears once.
    Last edited by xdsjx; 11th March 2010 at 12:17 AM.
    .Dave J

I also use a moisturizer after I shave, so there's no burn when I spray on a fragrance. But I only spray once on my neck anyway (the other sprays go on the back of my neck and my forearms), so if there was a burn it wouldn't last long.

I usually use the aftershave associated with the fragrance i plan on wearing. I then wear the fragrance after I shower and shave, and I will tell you it stings like hell. It is so freakin painful for like 10 seconds. I have to pace around just so that I can get my mind off the pain. It sucks! But i do smell fantastic though

I love using Aftershave, I don't mind the sting

Although it might burn a little, I do spray on my neck after shaving.