Code of Conduct

Default Oscar de la renta pour lui

I am interested in buying pour lui, the bigger size 90ml. there seem to be 2 different bottles: one is short and wide(vintage?) and the other tall and slim with cheap atomizer. is there a difference between them, and if so is the reformulated still any good? in 50ml there is only one bottle, the short one. is it the original juice?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oscar de la renta pour lui

The last time I got involved in this conversation, well let me say there was a lot on controversy. If the bottle tall, or for that matter the other bottle is short,but is in a silver box with gold stripes running across the top, and bottom, and the name on the box is blue on a gold back drop that's the vintage juice, and I will let it go at that. You can form your own opinion as to which fragrance is better. Well I'll go ahead,and say it if you don't know the difference you may find the re-formulation a wearable fragrance. Me I wouldn't spend a dime on it.IMHO
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    The last time I got involved in this conversation, well let me say there was a lot on controversy. If the bottle tall, or for that matter the other bottle is short,but is in a silver box with gold stripes running across the top, and bottom, and the name on the box is blue on a gold back drop that's the vintage juice, and I will let it go at that. You can form your own opinion as to which fragrance is better. Well I'll go ahead,and say it if you don't know the difference you may find the re-formulation a wearable fragrance. Me I wouldn't spend a dime on it.IMHO
    I totally agree Ron.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I think I have the new formulation. It's a dry/dusty, floral incense, which is nice once in a while. I don't recommend it as a "signature" frag. Longevity and sillage are at least good, but I avoid top notes so it's possible that olfactory fatigue could be a major issue with this frag.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 10th March 2010 at 10:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

New

Old

Post Thanks / Like

I just received a 60ml vintage splash of Pour Lui, and I love it. Honestly though, I don't notice much of a difference between this and the reformulation--at least nothing worth worrying about.

Post Thanks / Like

Not being able to judge it against the old formulation, which I've never smelled, I've gotta say that I got a bottle of the new one in December and have really been enjoying it.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have used a few bottles of the vintage and now have the new version. If you can get the vintage, by all means do. I like the new version as well. Anyone who has not smelt the vintage version will not be missing much in life with the new one.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

older version is much more wearable and has a leather chypre base. i think the older version smells much fuller and smooth as opposed to the sharp nature of the newer version. saying that, the newer version is not a lame release by any measure.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jenson and Perfaddict on the new stuff. When I first sampled it about 6 months ago, I hated it. But then I tried the vintage version, which I liked, and this caused me to re-sample the new stuff recently. I like the new formulation now. The vintage is a bit dirtier, heavier and a little more complex, but the new version is still a very strong and potent scent and it does capture the essence of the original. It ain't no Acqua di Gio clone, that's for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

The point is, as everybody said, that RpL has been reformulated: here comes the controversy, some say the reformulated version is crap while the vintage is marvelous.

I tried both and Shamu is right, the vintage version is heavier and darker, the reformulated is not. It is lighter, and you can applly more liberally, but, going to the point, both are wonderful scents on a style of their own, a world apart from the usual scents designer companies are periodically releasing - acquatics in all its possible variations or very very very sweet gourmand / orientals (it is like the market has been divided in two, the ones using scents but not wanting to be smelt at all or the ones favouring an "atomic fallout" kind - of style).

Well, RpL is nothing of these sorts.

Default Oscar de la Renta pour Lui

I am about to order pour lui. all the net retailers sell bottles of 3 oz (90ml).
    when i visited the oscar de la renta web page, they sell bottles of 3.3oz (100ml).
    is anyone familiar with the differences?
    is it another new reformulation or just a different bottle?

Default Re: Oscar de la Renta pour Lui

I suggest you get a vintage bottle while you still can at reasonable prices. For example, I think ebay item number 170482723102 is a vintage one. However, keep in mind that you might like the reformulation better. No way to know until you've tried them both. Still, the vintage is worth more so there's no reason not to grab one while you still can at low prices. I've got both and I have yet to decide which I prefer wearing (as opposed to which I think is "better"). Perhaps others can offer some advice here too.

The vintage says on the front, 'Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui'; the reformulated says, 'Pour Lui'. The vintage is denser and slightly stronger; the reformulated, in my opinion, shows slightly more character. You will probably want to try them both because the difference is noticeable.
    Last edited by Asmo; 22nd May 2010 at 09:25 PM.

Those interested in this thread should probably read: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...ted-%28PICS%29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I own the vintage and bought the reformulation for an interested mate.
    Both are good, the vintage bein bolder, the reformulation slightly more tamed.
    In terms of bottle seizes, my vintage is 90 ml and I'v seen seen plenty of other 90mls.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure there is a mistake in the web site. The bottles come in 3 oz. and 1.7 oz. sizes.

i was almost convinced that vintage versions are always better and my experience was always as expected until i tried pour lui vintage....you can see similarities between vintage and new but surprisingly i like the new one more..i actually bought 8oz size of vintage version..i would be keeping it for its rarity but the new one is more crisp, more refreshing..

Again - content with the old one which first came out.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a bottle a few days ago at a wholesaler. They had two versions; one had oakmoss listed in the ingredients, (it was in a gift set) and the other did not; and so assuming that the oakmoss version was older, I bought it. I gave it a go, and have decided that I don't like it. It smelled to me like Chanel Antaeus, only smokier and dirtier. Just to make it interesting, I applied Must pour homme de Cartier, (red box, with oakmoss listed in the ingredients) on the other arm, which after an hour, only made the Pour Lui fare even worse than before, it wasn't even a contest. I think that when I Feel like spraying on a retro 70's or 80's powerhouse, I'll stick to YSL Pour Homme, (red box) or Polo green.