Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default aromachemicals storage

what are the rules here?
    i would've thought, cool and dark, probably somewhere between 8 and 15 degrees celsius should be fine. but i have also read some things (aldehydes) will oxidize at lower temperatures. other reactions might happen too, plus many materials will get thicker and thus hard to handle when colder.
    but i think i need to shelter most of them from the spring and summer heat. i think all the (natural) oil should be best stored cool, right? especially citrus (and the top notes in general, i assume.)
    how do you do it? what to avoid? etc. i need some good advice.
    Last edited by gido; 10th March 2010 at 11:01 PM.

Default Re: aromachemicals storage

My work room is a windowless bathroom (it does have an exhaust fan), so all of my EOs and aromachemicals are in the dark except when I'm working in there. I keep them at a fairly cool room temperature. Some of my EOs I've had for many years, and they're all fine. In fact, some of them get better with age. We don't have to worry about summer heat in Seattle! We're lucky to have summer at all.

Ideal for most substances is a temperature of about 10 deg C / 50 deg F. For some substances including rose otto and cedarwood oils it is better to keep the temperature higher otherwise they will form crystalls that will not always dissolve easy. Several others don't need a specific temperature, but are stable over a long range.

Keep all substances in the dark. Keep them dry, esters and oils with esters might hydrolise. Keep the products in glass or aluminium containers with a good, airtight closure. Don't store in dropper bottles with the dropper on it, even the best types of (artificial) rubber will leak a little and allow air to get in the bottles. Keep the caps on as much as possible.

Aldehydes are very sensitive to air and might polymerise. This will eventualy happen. A good tactic is to dillute the aldehydes in alcohol and make a use bottle and a storage bottle. The storage bottle is only opened to make a new use bottle. This way you minimise contact with air for the storage bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

jan, do i need to change the safety caps from the hekserij dropper bottles? i have removed the dropper as you had suggested before, i don't like the child-proof caps very much but if they are less airtight than ordinary caps they will have to go.

(i was wondering before, what is the reason you supply some materials with these kind of caps?)
    Last edited by gido; 2nd April 2010 at 01:30 PM.

The reason some of our products have a child resistant cap is that is is obligatorily in the EU for certain substances. We started with the caps + dropper insert so the customer can use it without a dropper pipette. Probably we will change that in the future, but all these things take time.