Code of Conduct

Default does terre de hermes have too much rose in it?

does terre de hermes have too much rose in it?, my girlfriend says thats all she smells and its too rosey for me

Default Re: does terre de hermes have too much rose in it?

Does it have any rose in it?

Rose...? Um, not that I can tell.

haha rose? this stuff smells like dirt and orange peels to me.

Sur la Plage

No rose to my nose.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

there are some flower note in it right?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBee456 View Post
    there are some flower note in it right?
    Supposedly it has bay rose and geranium....
    my nose only detects the grapefruit, Cedar an pepper....but then again I get no cat pee in Kouros so take my two cents with a grain of salt.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by scentaddiction View Post
    Supposedly it has bay rose and geranium....
    my nose only detects the grapefruit, Cedar an pepper....but then again I get no cat pee in Kouros so take my two cents with a grain of salt.
    Your nose sounds right to me - on ALL accounts.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

There must be some unusual smelling roses growing where you live!

I don't get rose from TdH, nor any other distinct floral element. I do think it contains some floral notes, but they are deeply submerged in the overall blend. Perhaps there's a bit of geranium in there, which may evoke rose, but I think anyone would be hard pressed to pick it out.

I don't know what your girlfriend is smelling, but she is smelling something that most of us do not!

noggs

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Notes of Terre d'Hermès:

Top note: Grapefruit, Orange, Flint

Middle note: Pepper, Pink Peppercorns, Geranium Leaves, Patchouli
    Base note: Cedar, Vetiver, Benzoin [from parfyym.pri.ee]

No rose. The geranium might simulate a rose note to some people. Geranium is often used to simulate or supplement rose notes in perfume. Scentaddiction's reference to "bay rose" is probably based on the French "baie rose," which means pink peppercorns; "rose" can mean rose in French, but it's also the word for pink and "baie rose" means only pink peppercorns.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 11th March 2010 at 03:53 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Dependent

I can only suspect there may be some mistake. Do *you* distinctively smell rose in TDH? But not that it really matters right? If your GF finds it too rosy, then you will have to consider wearing something else when you are around her.
    Last edited by MFJ; 11th March 2010 at 03:50 AM.

Sounds like your wife needs a "nose job", ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Armor King View Post
    haha rose? this stuff smells like dirt and orange peels to me.
    I can't stand TDH on (my) skin, since I got panic with it's overdose of Iso E Super. An everlasting boring to death 'woody basenote' resembling a choking "uorks", ehm: "smoked bean curd", lekker! The initial smell is a fully loaded and forgotten waste can at the Mediterranean coastline in the summer heat. That very second You open it.

On blotter it smells like compost, may be potting soil. It's rotting vegetable of all kinds. So why not rose?

Rose? To me it smells more like rotten orange..

Basenotes Plus

Wasn't aware that it had any at all.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 11th March 2010 at 11:23 AM.

I smell no rose. Just a manly burning orange peel, it's brilliant! I love it because I find it dirty and earthy and orangey and burnty...

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by merry.waters View Post
    I can't stand TDH on (my) skin, since I got panic with it's overdose of Iso E Super. An everlasting boring to death 'woody basenote' resembling a choking "uorks", ehm: "smoked bean curd", lekker! The initial smell is a fully loaded and forgotten waste can at the Mediterranean coastline in the summer heat. That very second You open it.

On blotter it smells like compost, may be potting soil. It's rotting vegetable of all kinds. So why not rose?
    You make it sound more delicious than it already is!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    You make it sound more delicious than it already is!
    I like to be fair. There are several fragrance around that have lots of potential. Comme Des Garcons #2 Men is an other one. Beside the American English Slang "No.2" is being crap literally - the iso E super ruins it. CDG2M resembles a campfire with burnt potatoes, the debris of it in the cloths the other day. Every guy should know this, great. But as with Terre D'Hermes it ends up after an hour or so in a monotone booooooooh of that iso stuff. And one can not wash it away, to bad.

Maybe the odors in question need that hyper dimensional smoothing as if they were fixated in aspic to make them at least wearable. But that's a wrong direction, I'm afraid. Don't like to eat through pounds of gelatine in order to get my teeth on a gherkin either.

a thousand times no............
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Seems to me your lady has an issue over men wearing rose scents... What does she love on you anyway? AdG??

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBee456 View Post
    does terre de hermes have too much rose in it?, my girlfriend says thats all she smells and its too rosey for me
    Did you punch her in the nose recently? I know they can get rowdy sometimes.

I think she's confusing it with the cannabis note.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

You know what's funny? After all this time, I thought the reason I hated TdH was the Iso E Super. In the end, it's something else, in combination with the Iso E Super that bothers me. I realized this when I wore Kyoto by CDG 4 days in a row without getting annoyed (and it's got almost as much Iso E Super as TdH!)

If TdH makes you nauseous by it's chemical sharpness, try the Parfum version - it's much smoother, without the chemical edge.
    Sales thread here

Are you sure it's a genuine bottle you have??
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

No rose here.

"Baies Rose peppercorn" does not equal 'Rose"

Hmmm...I've never even thought of Terre'd D presuming such notes...:S...She may have a hidden talent...if she can snicker into the deepest notes :P

- Balava -
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

I'll be adding a bottle to my rotation soon .
    Its Flint note is unique , anyone know much about it ?

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

no rose in that scent, must be some kind of mistake

Contrary to the consensus here, I smell a LOT of rose in it. Rose + (Dirt, orange peel and gunflint). If it weren't for the dirt and gunflint, this would easily have been a female fragrance or unisex at best.

But I DO smell a lot of rose in it. If I remember it right, the rose note in this one was called as "Bay Rose" or something like that.

Overall, it's an excellent fragrance.
    Last edited by HammerFist; 12th March 2010 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerFist View Post
    Contrary to the consensus here, I smell a LOT of rose in it. Rose + (Dirt, orange peel and gunflint). If it weren't for the dirt and gunflint, this would easily have been a female fragrance or unisex at best.

But I DO smell a lot of rose in it. If I remember it right, the rose note in this one was called as "Bay Rose" or something like that.

Overall, it's an excellent fragrance.
    I think you are also referring to the Baie Rose, which JaimeB pointed out that it means Pink Peppercorns.

No rose to me either. It sounds like your girlfriend doesn't like something in it, but doesn't either know what it is, or isn't able to identify what she's smelling. It's like when people who aren't really into fragrance think everything is "musky," regardless of any actual musk presence.

She probably just doesn't like a certain note in it and can't quite put her finger on it.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 12th March 2010 at 05:10 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

To jrd4t: I have a tough time accepting it isn't rose in tdh. But I'll accept that if you guys say I'm wrong though because I still have a lot to learn in this arena.

But, there is a rose note in this fragrance according to FX: http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_..._products.html

This is slightly off topic, but I do want to be better in this and do you have any recommendations for me to know what exactly rose for men smells like? Thank you.
    Last edited by HammerFist; 12th March 2010 at 05:18 PM.

I like to be fair. There are several fragrance around that have lots of potential. Comme Des Garcons #2 Men is an other one. Beside the American English Slang "No.2" is being crap literally - the iso E super ruins it. CDG2M resembles a campfire with burnt potatoes, the debris of it in the cloths the other day. Every guy should know this, great. But as with Terre D'Hermes it ends up after an hour or so in a monotone booooooooh of that iso stuff. And one can not wash it away, to bad.

Maybe the odors in question need that hyper dimensional smoothing as if they were fixated in aspic to make them at least wearable. But that's a wrong direction, I'm afraid. Don't like to eat through pounds of gelatine in order to get my teeth on a gherkin either.
    Declaring a desire to be fair and then actually going ahead and doing just that are 2 different things IMHO. There is a clear lack of objectivity in your appraisal of TdH.

To answer the OP: No rose in TdH. It is too dry and mineral in character for any floral accord to come to the fore.
    Last edited by jathanas; 13th March 2010 at 12:26 AM.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

I like to be fair. There are several fragrance around that have lots of potential. Comme Des Garcons #2 Men is an other one. Beside the American English Slang "No.2" is being crap literally - the iso E super ruins it. CDG2M resembles a campfire with burnt potatoes, the debris of it in the cloths the other day. Every guy should know this, great.
    Again, "you make it sound more delicious than it already is!"
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 13th March 2010 at 01:59 AM.
    Sales thread here

i really couldnt pick it up at first but i do smell the rose in it now...so i guess i am not crazy if other people smell it

According to this article it does have rose in it:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/168...-d-Herm%C3%A8s.

8th paragraph the ingredients are noted as "woody notes, including Atlas cedar. It's also a mix of grapefruit, effervescent orange, gunflint, silex, pepper, baies roses, geranium leaves, patchouli, vetiver and balm of benzoin."

Sorry for the thread dig have just been searching through the forums and thought this might be of interest

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by drew959 View Post
    According to this article it does have rose in it:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/168...-d-Herm%C3%A8s.

8th paragraph the ingredients are noted as "woody notes, including Atlas cedar. It's also a mix of grapefruit, effervescent orange, gunflint, silex, pepper, baies roses, geranium leaves, patchouli, vetiver and balm of benzoin."

Sorry for the thread dig have just been searching through the forums and thought this might be of interest
    "Baies roses" means "pink peppercorns"... There is no rose in Terre d'Hermes.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Furthermore Baies Roses smell nothing like roses.
    Nasomatto Black Afgano is my fave frag right now

I'd be curious to know what she thinks when you actually do wear a rose scent.

Banned

No, it has too much iso-e-super in it.

most boring, uninspired, and insipid fragrance ever. defines "overrated".

Did you ask her why she thinks it's too rosey for you? To me it sounds more like it is too rosey for her tbh.

Nay, no rose.

No rose to my nose either.

Good Lord, no rose, TDH is the driest least floral fragrance I can think of, cedar, cedar, more cedar and some flint. Keep her away from DC 1913.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    "Baies roses" means "pink peppercorns"... There is no rose in Terre d'Hermes.
    Hmm, slightly off topic: could it be the same with The Different Company - Rose Poivre? There's some rose in it, but people complained about it being less than expected. With the reformulation the rose issue was fixed. People complained again, less than preferable stink besides the too generic rose ... .

Blog Entries

no rose to my nose.
    hahaha!
    Everyone is somebody's weirdo.

No rose, just putting an orange in a corpses mouth burying it along the mediterranean. Letting it sit and rot for a couple of weeks, digging it back up then throwing it into an industrial grinder, dirt and all. Grinding that sucker up and decanting them as we speak!

No rose to my nose.
    None to my nose either!!!
    Gary

it might be the strong grapefruit accord.

Quote Originally Posted by davedude11 View Post
    Does it have any rose in it?
    Exactly.
    It does have a full helping of Citronellol, and a small bit of Geraniol, but no overt Rose note that has any substance or heft to it ain any way.

Gonna try layering it with No. 88 .....now.

I've found that benzoin can, combined with certain other notes, actually simulate the presence of rose. It's far from a rose replica, but there are facets present in it that are shared with rose and it can help extend the perception of rose with a bit of 'olfactory sleight of hand.'
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

As far as I know this scent, not rose at all in either of its concentrations