Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I need to buy a fragrance...for my mother !

My mother's birthday is cooming soon, and I need to buy her a gift. I was thinking about a fragrance.
    I realy don't have it with female fragrances, so I need you to help me. I know almoust nothing about them. Please recomend me a realy good scent, and non-niche it must be.

I heard of these ones:
    Guerlain - Mitsouko
    Guerlain - Shalimar
    Chanel - No.5
    Christian Dior - Poison
    Yves Saint Laurent - Cinema
    Yves Saint Laurent - Paris
    Yves Saint Laurent - Opium

1) From the ones above, what would you pick ?
    2) Other female fragrances that are very good, and safe to buy

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I need to buy a fragrance...for my mother !

Of those I would chose No. 5,
    but not all women can pull that
    one off.

Try Dior's Dolce Vita, it's a good
    mothers scent.

How old is she? I'm afraid that I wouldn't consider most of those to be safe to buy, especially if she's closer to forty than sixty. (And, no, I'm not saying that they're "old lady" fragrances, but they are definitely classics.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My suggestion would be Mitsouko or Shalimar. You can't go wrong these two icons of the fragrance world IMO.

Let us know a bit more about her. First of all, how old is she? Do you know what fumes she used and what she liked/didn't like? Does she like strong scents or does she like it more restrained? Your list comprises mostly classics, I love half of them and dislike the other half - I consider them a risky buy.
    Last edited by bonsai; 12th March 2010 at 08:22 AM.

Fragrances I consider safe buys: most Bulgaries, primarily Omnia EDP (the original in the brown packaging), Eau Parfumee au The Vert, Eau Parfumee au The Blanc, Bulgari (in the yellow box), Jasmin Noir. These scents don't have as much personality as most of the ones you listed, they are rather classy and comfortable, they are not pushing the limits in any way IMO. They also have the advantage that you can wear them in every season and for every occasion. In contrary, e.g. I could not pull off Opium or Shalimar in summer, I find Mitsouko very serious and Cinema quite blah. From your list I would also go for No. 5 but I agree with LeGrandDuc that not all women can pull it off.
    Go down to your local department store, give them a sniff and see if you can imagine the scent wafting off your mother - would it fit her?
    Good luck!

I'm guessing I'd be around your mum's age, and out of those I'd pick the Cinema if she likes sweet scents. It's the most modern of the bunch, and very wearable.

Poison/Paris/Opium are big scary eighties frags. She'll either love these in a nostalgic way, or hate them, in the same way

Mitsouko/Shalimar/No. 5 are classic. I think any of these could be a nice gift.

Eva Pasco

I'm selecting Chanel No. 5 because it is a timeless classic and less dramatic than the others.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Definately Chanel No.5 if you had to chose from that list. The last fragrances I bought for my mother (who's 54) were "Thierry Mugler's Angel Sunessence" (last year's edition is still available) it's really charming as Angel is not for everyone but you can smell the nicer notes plus its quite light. Also "Prada Infusion D'Iris" or "Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely".

They are real mum fragrances, they just remind me of how amazing, warm and special she is.

Mitsouko - recently purchased it for my stepmother, and it was a big hit.

Estee Lauder Youth Dew - usually a mom favorite.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, she is... 44 years old.
    Yes, I know Chanel No.5 is good, but how good can a fragrance be ?
    Some fragrances are so good for me, that they make me happy, they make me smile and also euphoric !
    Also, I heard about Dior Poison ! It is good, also it is not that expensive. I like A LOT Dior ! My aunt has Dior Poison, through ! I can't describe how good it is !
    About Cinema, I am fascinated about it, because my girlfriend wears this every day, without exception. One day, I came home, and my mother said I was smelling of vanilla. She didn't know it was from my girlfriend ! Why is my gf wearing this if you say it is good for my mother ?
    Also, is Angel good for my mother ?
    This is a complex problem, people !
    Last edited by Jimi Hendrix; 11th March 2010 at 05:53 PM.

Oooh, well, if your girlfriend wears Cinema there's no way you can buy it for your mother! Scar you for life, that would ;)

Did your mum like the vanilla smell? Hypnotic Poison could work. It's powerful, like all the others you list (I take it stronger scents work better with your weather?) and I think it's up there with the original Poison for fans.

Angel is a love or hate scent!

Do you know what your mother already owns/wears?

Hillaire

Since she's 44, quite young, and not a hardcore perfumista, I presume?

Cartier: So Pretty
    Guerlain: Champs Elysees
    Estee Lauder: Pleasures
    Prescriptives: Calyx
    Gucci: Envy

Is it possible for you to take your mother w/you and let her choose which fragrance she prefers? If she's particular about what she wears, that's the safest way. It means no surprises for her, but then that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'd choose No 5, and actually, I second what petruccijc said: No 5 Eau Premiere. It's the easiest version of No 5. Smells great and is friendlier than the original.

Personally, I'd not want Angel, but that's just me. Your mother may love it.

It may be best to let her choose for herself. Good luck!

How about a set of minis or samples? Sephora packages minis of the top sellers . Guerlain and other houses sell boxed minis, Bond has the bonbon box (pricey, though)....the niche houses and independents often sell (online) full sample sets in pretty packaging she's bound to like something in a set.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 11th March 2010 at 08:32 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Post Thanks / Like

I hate the fact that she has only minis. Her biggest bottle is 50 ml.
    Anyway, why would you buy Eau Premiere insteaed of the original No.5 ?
    Everybody loves No.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi Hendrix View Post
    Everybody loves No.5.
    Ah--so the full bottle is important.
    No. 5 is one of those people really love or really hate. That's the only problem. But I guess that's the risk with any perfume. I think it is best to take that risk on a classic like Chanel No. 5, b/c even if she doesn't love it, she will probably love the fact that her son got her Chanel No 5: the gesture itself carries some weight.

Is one of those minis more used up than the rest? That's probably a sign she likes it. Maybe you could report back and the NB detectives can advise on similar scents.

Everybody loves No.5.
    Full disclosure: I really dislike Chanel No.5, but would appreciate the gesture of receiving it as a gift. I'd never wear it but wouldn't mind it on my shelf.
    I am also older than your mother, and I do not care for any of the scents on your list (I mean, I appreciate them, but do not like to wear them). That is not a criticism of your list--those are classics!--it is just to show that it is hard to select a fragrance for someone else. Taste varies so much.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 12th March 2010 at 03:13 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm nearly the same age as your mom and I'd nix all of them as a gift except for the Shalimar, which of all the choices is most versatile and easy to wear. The other posters are correct about your other choices being challenging and not for everyone (please avoid big 80s scents like Poison and Opium unless you KNOW she likes them), though I personally love YSL Paris (my bottle is vintage however; I've heard it's changed over the years). If you're looking for something that she'd want to wear daily, or at least while going out on weekends, I'd pick something like Versace Crystal Noir or Dior J'Adore. J'Adore doesn't wow many people, but it's very likable and pleasant, and works in almost any situation. I find Crystal Noir to be more of an evening scent, but it's very well done and under appreciated, in my opinion (on the plus side, few people wear it because they don't know or think about it). I second Bulgari Jasmin Noir - a very nice white floral. If really want to give her the Guerlain brand-name, go with L'Instant. It's lovely and elegant, not a wow in my book, but well-liked by many others here. I also agree with the recommendation of Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere. No. 5 in all other concentrations is difficult for me to wear, even after letting it dry down for an entire day. Eau Premiere is the only version that lets me feel almost comfortable when I wear it.

I also second Hillaire's recommendation of Gucci Envy. I think it is an outstanding spring/summer scent and I wear it a lot myself.

Everybody loves No.5.
    Hahaha! Sorry, no.

Anyway, why would you buy Eau Premiere insteaed of the original No.5?
    Eau Premier is smoother. It doesn't have the big blast of aldehydes that is challenging to so many. You might also want to search for threads by those who find the edt unwearable, but discovered they could wear the edp (and vice versa!).

Please tell us what she has in her minis. I get the feeling that you're trying to push her into a particular direction of what you think is classic and esteemed, but it won't work if they are fragrances she simply doesn't care for.

(As an aside: It's funny that a lot of men here like Poison and Opium for themselves. I wonder if it's because men's fragrances are often more pungent and they're accustomed to bolder scents? I like Opium myself, but it was my mom's signature scent while I was growing up so I don't feel comfortable in it. I also wear a lot of men's fragrances, and love big 80s frags like Paloma Picasso and Amarige, but Poison was never my thing.)
    Last edited by Heartwood; 11th March 2010 at 09:44 PM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere
    I concur with Chanel No. 5 and Eau Premiere. Safe buys and classics, to boot.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

This is not exactly an answer to your two questions, but I think you should buy her some fragrance that is new for the season!
    It would be perfect, I think, if you personally visited a perfume store and asked the sales assistent for some help.
    If the bottle is pretty, and you yourself like the scent, I donīt think you could go very wrong.

I also second Hillaireīs recommendation of Pleasures; a classic floral which is easy to wear.

If your only option is to order something online, I would maybe go for Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker (cute bottle, and the name is just right for a mother, no?) A gift set, with maybe the body lotion & shower gel in addition to the perfume is usually very appreciated.

From your list I would go for either Chanel no. 5 EdT (or, even better, pure parfum!), or Paris, but IMHO all your alternatives are a bit too potent for summer.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Ok, she is... 44 years old.
    Yes, I know Chanel No.5 is good, but how good can a fragrance be ?
    Some fragrances are so good for me, that they make me happy, they make me smile and also euphoric !
    Also, I heard about Dior Poison ! It is good, also it is not that expensive. I like A LOT Dior ! My aunt has Dior Poison, through ! I can't describe how good it is !
    About Cinema, I am fascinated about it, because my girlfriend wears this every day, without exception. One day, I came home, and my mother said I was smelling of vanilla. She didn't know it was from my girlfriend ! Why is my gf wearing this if you say it is good for my mother ?
    Also, is Angel good for my mother ?
    This is a complex problem, people !
    She's 44. Ouch, she's young!....(er than me anyway.) Why not Coco Mademoiselle, which is a lovely Chanel, youthful and distinctively special Chanel...and strikes me as very good for the warmer season. I second the No. 5 Eau Premiere too, I like it better than No. 5.

Yes, I believe that taking your mother to pick out what she wants might be good... (if you are on a budget the up side is that she will pick something she likes and won't break your budget.) :-)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 11th March 2010 at 11:17 PM.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Everybody loves No.5.
    Not me, too strong a hit of aldehydes on the open... I LOVE Eau Premiere though. (which was what I suggested)
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore

Thumbs up Re: I need to buy a fragrance...for my mother !

If mom is 44 y.o she's probably still a rocker....give her one of the more notable Caron fragrances: Tabac Blonde; Poivre; En Avion; Parfum Sacre and Bellodgia. My guess she will like any of these. They are timeless , elegant and smart!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, one thing is certain - no Cinema for your mom. That would be scary.

Chanel No 5 is a "safe" bet, and almost any Guerlain would be loved. Why don't you get your mom two perfumes - one for daywear and one for evenings? (Hint: Shalimar)

Another vote for "no Cinema" for your mom! If you think she liked that one, try also Hypnotic Poison, Addict, Midnight Poison or Fendi Theorema if you can find it.

Could you make a list of the bottles or minies she has? It would help a lot to understand what her tastes are.
    The ones on your list are loved by many but I wouldn't call any of them a safe buy, except perhaps for Paris-sort of. Depending on how much time you have, you could perhaps take her out one day and ask her to stop by Sephora and make her tell you what she thinks about a several perfumes. Or spray a few blotters with perfumes in different categories and ask her to smell them when you get back home. At least try to figure out of she likes sweet, strong etc types.

My mother absolutely LOVES Sicily by D&G. I bought her many perfumes, but she still preferes this one and many of her friends like it too. She went through several bottles in just a couple of years. Give it a try.
    Last edited by darkdreams; 12th March 2010 at 02:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My whole family likes fragrances. Even my grandmother has designer fragrances. Also, my mother is not young for me. If you don't know, I am 14.
    She once had a 200 ml bottle of J'Adore by Dior or so. It was huge.
    She also has a 30 ml bottle of Amor Amor by Cacharel.
    A collection of 5 or 6 mini (5ml) bottles of Lancome fragrances. Don't remember the names now.
    3 bottles (30 and 50ml) of Avon fragrances (Little Black Dress, Perceive, True Glow).
    Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue for women (50ml)
    Christian Dior Dune 30 ml
    Givenchy Amarige
    That's all I remember
    Also, she really seems to like Guerlain. There is also a Romanian poet from the period between WW1 and WW2 (!) who wrote something about Guerlain fragrance, because his girlfriend worn it (probably Shalimar)
    Another thing, I cut Angel from the list because you don't seem to like it, allthrough it is in the top 5 female fragrances from all times, if I remember.
    Last edited by Jimi Hendrix; 12th March 2010 at 07:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am just a few years younger than your mother, and I second the suggestions made for Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere (much more modern and easier to wear than the original), Bulgari, Gucci Envy, and Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely. SJP Lovely is an especially safe pick. It's almost universally pleasing to people of all ages, and there are some really nice gift sets available for this scent, too.

I am a fan of classic Chanel No. 5, Mitsouko, Opium and Paris, but they are not scents I recommend for gift-giving unless you know the wearer enjoys them already. I have met NO OTHER WOMEN MY AGE (online perfume friends notwithstanding) that wear and appreciate these scents. My friends and co-workers in my age group would likely not see it as evidence of the gift-giver's good taste if they received one of these as a gift.

I respect Shalimar as a creation, but honestly, I don't like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Please Jimi, Do yourself a favor..BUY MITSOUKO!!!! YOu will never regret it!!! GO to a shop nearest to which sells Mits, Any version is fine in my opinion...and take a whiff of pure bliss!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Jimi Hendrix... at fourteen you are a sweetie. However, how are you going to afford this? Again, I say, take Mom with you and ask her to pick out a scent she loves.

Post Thanks / Like

Ohh...WOW! Are you only 14, naawww!! that's amazing stuff Jimi. I am already feeling love from your magnanimous presence! It's qualities like this in a being that shows utter selflessness. Well Done! I Applaud You!

And for my advice...I'm 16 and I say, If you can afford it comfortabely...Go For it!! If it makes you happy knowing that you've done a generous deed for a loved one. Then thats greatest present ever :P

Good Luck Mate!

- Balava -
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Post Thanks / Like

I have 200 $, of course I can afford it. Do you want me to prove that ? I will make a picture if you want.
    "Take your mom with you" -> I don't think so. It is not more then 200 meters to walk to the nearest store. It has all you want.
    Also, I will be 15 on the 10th April. I will buy me a scent like Egoiste then.
    Last edited by Jimi Hendrix; 13th March 2010 at 09:37 PM.

I have 200 $, of course I can afford it. Do you want me to prove that ? I will make a picture if you want.
    "Take your mom with you" -> I don't think so. It is not more then 200 meters to walk to the nearest store. It has all you want.
    Also, I will be 15 on the 10th April. I will buy me a scent like Egoiste then.
    Ah, we share a birthday, JH. (but I will be ... much older than 15!) ...

No need to prove you have the money. And by the way, I wasn't suggesting you needed a chaperone (I remember the wild treks I made by myself at your age... these days folks would faint at the thought) ...

(now I do believe that you are 14, and definitely an Aries... strong emotions and a fire sign... look out world, the force is strong in this one.)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 13th March 2010 at 10:01 PM.

Please try Sicily if you can find it. I think it is relatively safe. So far I haven't met anyone to hate it. And if you have a store so close by, it is even easier to make your mom smell some perfumes and give you her opinion without suspecting anything. Surprises are nice!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Ah, we share a birthday, JH. (but I will be ... much older than 15!) ...

No need to prove you have the money. And by the way, I wasn't suggesting you needed a chaperone (I remember the wild treks I made by myself at your age... these days folks would faint at the thought) ...

(now I do believe that you are 14, and definitely an Aries... strong emotions and a fire sign... look out world, the force is strong in this one.)
    LOL! True. Those were good times.

Considering your age and your Mom's age, I think Tocade by Rochas would be appropiate. It is less expensive than those on your list, but it is a fragrance of quality in a really great multicolored glass bottle. It is a dreamy, peachy rose fragrance with a warm amber drydown. Save your money and offer to do a job that your mother hates doing. I know that I would love a gift like that.

I love Opium and have worn it since it came out, Also Chanel Gardenia is wonderful, David Yurman,I would get something from a store that will take it back in case she does not like it but how nice of you to get her perfume, there are so many nikce ones, Today I wore David Yurman and two people stopped me and asked what I was wearing and wrote it down.Narciso Rodriguez is wonderful too, the edt, Natori, there are so many great fragrnaces and everyone likes a different one.How about samples of the Bonds, they are great. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vintage*red View Post
    Considering your age and your Mom's age, I think Tocade by Rochas would be appropiate. It is less expensive than those on your list, but it is a fragrance of quality in a really great multicolored glass bottle. It is a dreamy, peachy rose fragrance with a warm amber drydown. Save your money and offer to do a job that your mother hates doing. I know that I would love a gift like that.
    Brilliant suggestion, vintage*red! Tocade is another universal pleaser! (As are offers to do jobs that a mother hates doing!)

Jimi Hendrix: you must post back to let us know what you purchased. I bet a lot of us are curious now! I sure am!

1)I will also vote for Christian Dior - Poison....
    2)) Delices de Cartier by Cartier........ You can't go wrong with this fragrance gift. Personally, this is one of my favorite scents of all time. This is a good perfume gift choice for your wife, girlfriend, sister, mother, mother-in-law and grandmother.