Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DSQUARED² He Wood Ocean Wet Wood

Anyone tried this? I'm quite interested because it combines 2 things I like in frags. It has the violet notes of the original He Wood--which in turn smelled like Dunhill Fresh, something I absolutely enjoy. It also has aquatic notes, and I'm what you may call an aquaman.

Here's the description from fragrantica:

He Wood Ocean Wet Wood is a male fragrance that glorifies wood in its most spectacular surroundings, inspired by pure nature. It is a fragrant image of old tress in the woods, white beaches and clear water. The fragrance is based on the synthesis of three notes – ocean notes, moist notes and woody notes. Ocean note is formed by fresh and transparent marine accords, artemisia and ambergris; moist notes are emphasized by violet leaf, musk and violet, while the woody note is represented by accords of vetiver, patchouli, cedar and tonka. Daphne Bugey and Alberto Morillas are the noses behind this composition.

I'd appreciate if anyone could post a review or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DSQUARED² He Wood Ocean Wet Wood

It is really nice, it's definately he wood but it has this amazing watery sea note, kinda like cool water (its better composed than cool water) definately not as harsh or synthetic very well balanced, salty & woody if that makes any sense?

*see below*
    Last edited by cescpistol; 9th May 2010 at 02:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The title kind of sounds like a joke. Is there any wood in it? That said, the original is quite nice and will look forward to trying this.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait for DSQUARED Morning Wood
    Seriously this one sounds like it might be a worthy aquatic. Where do they sell it?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Post Thanks / Like

zat smell sweaty or what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post

Best post of the year so far....awesome.

*see below*
    Last edited by cescpistol; 9th May 2010 at 02:43 PM.

HAHA good one! But back to the Fragrance, when does this come out? The description sounds very interesting to me, hope it smells as good as it sounds!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This sounds really interesting! Definitely would love to try it

We haven't even seen (at least here in the US) He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood and and we now have a second flanker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    We haven't even seen (at least here in the US) He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood and and we now have a second flanker.
    You're right! I forgot about that one.. who knows how long it'll be until we see this one
    Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 20th March 2010 at 09:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Driftwood

With over 10 years on this blog, I feel it's essential to underscore that the noses behind the fragrances often count for more than the house (Guerlain, Armani, etc.) that brandishes its name on the packaging or the sales derived from a fragrance (my opinion only of course). I've been elated and disappointed so many times by fragrances, old or new, regardless of the press they receive. I think it's essential to consider who was hired for the job of creating the juice, more than the house who sponsors it. For example, L'Artisan issues amazing scents, but the ones created by Duchaufour are exceptional. Most fragrances by JC Ellena for Hermes are also considered outstanding.

In this instance, He Wood OWW was created (in part) by Alberto Morillas, a very gifted nose with a very long list of olfactory successes over the years (please google him for his creations - you will be very impressed).

OWW fits comfortably into the category of outstanding scents, probably because Dsquared knew to hire AM to create this latest offering. A salty and bitter opening segues into moist, lush midnotes with a tonka-cedar finish that is most pleasing. Sillage is way above-average. Go easy on the trigger. He Wood fans will be surprised as the notes are different. Aquatic with a twist with mouth-watering, incensy woods (lots of wood).

Pls try. Alberto knows his stuff and so do the twins!!

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it the other day on a strip - it's actually quite good, especially for an aquatic.

No surprise though, when you look at the talented noses behind it (Alberto Morillas who created the (in)famous Aqua di Gio, and Daphne Bugey who created the spectacular Rose 31).

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    I was at the Nordstrom in Chicago the other day, and they had it available. I think it is slowly starting to trickle in.

Does Ocean Wet Wood retain the Dunhill Fresh similarity that the original He Wood had?

Hey sorry to revive this thread but I am really interested in getting this - anyone know of a way of getting this in the US? Particularly California? I read that some Nordstroms have it? Can anyone else confirm seeing it available? Thank you!

I found this site which seems to carry this fragrance and will ship to the US

http://www.escentual.com/dsquared2/oceanwetwood002/

anyone have any experience with it? Don't know if this one is worth a blind buy... esp with all this trouble but the post earlier about the purfumer behind this scent really has me intrigued. Anymore input to help me decide ?

bump - any more reviews on it? i am not sure if i like it - it smells very original tough - and you get definatly recognised... what do you think?

and why is basenotes always that far behind with updating fragrances in their directories?

Bumping this thread because Ocean WW is now pretty readily available on ebay and some online retailers. Any more opinions/comments on this one?? (before I do another "because I'm bored" blind buy)

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine has it and loves it. He said it is the best "marine" fragrance he has ever tried.

I personally have not tried it.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 1st February 2011 at 06:55 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

I just came from Sephora and they don't have this yet.

I tried the other He Wood flanker, Rocky Mountain Wood, and it's really nice. I've never smelled anything like it. It's woodsy, floral, and its pepper note is really nice and gentle to the nose. It's actually created by the same perfumer as Le Labo's Rose 31.

This one is hard to come by, but I bought a bottle on ebay (blind), and I've tried one spray on my arm to see how it goes. To be honest, I'm really loving it.

I own the original He Wood, and the OWW is definitely what it promises when compared to the original. The combo of the aquatic notes and the underlying wood notes has me sniffing my arm quite a bit.

I'll give it a few more wears, and I'll let you all know what I think of the silage and longevity. I'd say that I'd give you all an analysis of the notes and drydown, but being a newbie, I know I would not do them justice.
    Last edited by Deevo; 11th February 2011 at 10:39 AM.

Tried all three now and Rocky Mountain is definitely my favorite. All three are in the same vein however.

Post Thanks / Like

I just blind bought this tonight on Amazon US. Paid around $35

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Still haven't seen it at my mall I have a Macy's, JCPenney's, and Sephora. It'll probably be awhile.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Hmm odd, its in Sephora in Calgary... I tried it the other day, I can agree, it is the best Marine that I have tried as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think DSQUARED² might actually be based in Canada. So that could be why. I'm not certain though..
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered a bottle of this. There's something special about this fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Just ordered a bottle of this. There's something special about this fragrance.
    I ordered a bottle on evilbay Monday blind. I have no aquatics and I'm hoping it fills a niche in my wardrobe.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jzzbassman View Post
    I ordered a bottle on evilbay Monday blind. I have no aquatics and I'm hoping it fills a niche in my wardrobe.
    Congrats. Let us know what you think about it and how it works on your skin.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats. Let us know what you think about it and how it works on your skin.
    Will do. At $34 I can't imagine it not being worth the money if it at least smells pleasant. We are getting close to the hot muggy South weather and I need something for it!
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

well well well.... i really want to try this one, but i have a personal law not to ever blind buy. However, rocky mountain wood has been my signature scent for about 3 months and i love it. Ill have to get a tester of this stuff, or i might have to just blind buy it. Hmmmmm...........

Wonderful . Finally a thread that looks at Ocean Wet Wood, which I may add is on my present list of frags to buy and now if only I can decide to go ahead and make a blind purchase with this one. Imagine not one of the major dept stores have a tester available never mind the item to buy.

So for those that have it and already mentioned about the salty woodiness that OWW projects, how would you compare it to Annick Goutal Vetiver?... a true example of salty ocean freshness with a rich woody drydown. See the thing is I am toying between both fragrances. As I have tested AG Vetiver before and thought is was quite unique if not just a tad too edgy to make me reluctant to buy it on the spot. If OWW is perhaps just a little understated while still holding onto that wonderful salty air of Vetiver, I may very well take the plunge and buy a bottle on ebay.
    What do you guys say?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Im thinkng the same thing. As much as i hate to blind buy, this is my favorte fragrance house. Rocky mountain wood is my favorite and signature scent, so i have high expectaions with this one

I have to say that Rocky Mt Wood is as close as gets to being my signature fragrance as well. In fact last week I ordered several diff items including Kenzo Woody, Burberry Beat, Narciso Rodriquez, Fah Absolute, and AG Mandagrore. Oh all of these the Mandagrore is the standout as it has this clean and crisp mintiness almost like the aroma of good clean breath after using mouth wash...also gives a very uplifting effect in mood throughout the day....
    So basically Rocky Mt Wood remains on top, the Mandagrore is alongside and now its a toss up between AG Vetiver and OWW for pride of place next to these other two on the top drawer of my fragrance collection.

If OWW is anything like maybe a lighter version of AG Vetiver I will order very soon. Just trying to get a clearer guesstimate ...lol...before making a choice.

Post Thanks / Like

I received Rocky Mountain Wood yday and I absolutely love it! Smells amazing and lasts for 8hours+ on my skin. I really wanna try OWW and I see they have a new frag coming out, Silver Wind Wood (if my memory serves me). I may get OWW for Summer now

Guys, I blind bought OWW right after my post to revive this thread about a month ago and as much as I REALLY like it, it fades and disappears VERY quickly. (on my skin anyway). I spray this in the morning on my shirt, chest, and neck and I have to tell you ... by noon there's not even a trace of it. It's really a fantastic marine scent and I was really excited when I first sprayed it. There's a slight trace of the original and RMW but for the most part, it's totally different. I kinda compare it to what D&G did with "The One". The flanker (Gentleman) almost smells like a complete different scent and also, fades away much quicker.

I'm hoping with the warmer weather coming that OWW will sprout a set of legs and last a lot longer.

Ziffy and for anybody else that has sprayed it, I am sure you have tried some of other aqua offerings from big fragrance houses i.e Bulgari Rochas etc.. how does OWW compare .. does it have that same generic feel to it ....I feel that once you have tried one of those others , then in fact you have tried them all. Aqua themed cologne has its fair share of detractors and I am right on the fence as the only ones I have really liked have been Boss Elements aqua with its vibrant juniper notes and the other has been AG Vetiver, I love the composition and creativity behind the notes.
    I would love to consider OWW as being an AG Vetiver light and less along the same lines as the mainstream aquas. Which of these two categorie does it fit into ?
    I would hate to do a blind purchase and find that is smells just like the others aquas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    I'm hoping with the warmer weather coming that OWW will sprout a set of legs and last a lot longer.
    Yeah, it will probably work and last longer in the warmer 70+F weather.

Quote Originally Posted by alcan View Post
    Ziffy and for anybody else that has sprayed it, I am sure you have tried some of other aqua offerings from big fragrance houses i.e Bulgari Rochas etc.. how does OWW compare .. does it have that same generic feel to it ....I feel that once you have tried one of those others , then in fact you have tried them all. Aqua themed cologne has its fair share of detractors and I am right on the fence as the only ones I have really liked have been Boss Elements aqua with its vibrant juniper notes and the other has been AG Vetiver, I love the composition and creativity behind the notes.
    I would love to consider OWW as being an AG Vetiver light and less along the same lines as the mainstream aquas. Which of these two categorie does it fit into ?
    I would hate to do a blind purchase and find that is smells just like the others aquas
    Nothing like ANY of the other aquas .. and I've tried them all. Most I dislike (especially the Bvlgari Aquas) but this one to my nose, it totally unique. Nothing mainstream out there I can compare it to. I don't get any vetiver at all (AG Vetiver?) and not like Boss Elements Aqua. Definitely worth sampling but the longevity issue may not make it a safe blind buy.

Nothing like ANY of the other aquas .. and I've tried them all. Most I dislike (especially the Bvlgari Aquas) but this one to my nose, it totally unique. Nothing mainstream out there I can compare it to. I don't get any vetiver at all (AG Vetiver?) and not like Boss Elements Aqua. Definitely worth sampling but the longevity issue may not make it a safe blind buy.
    The fact that it OWW is not like the other mainstream aquas esp Bulgari, can only move me more to buy it. All in all it does sound intriguing and if it evokes anything of the same themed setting as Rocky Mountain does so well then I will be happy with OWW. I found OG Vetiver to sum up the warmth of the sun and seascape environment so well that I wonder how OWW pulls it off. I may as well go with a bottle of OWW on ebay and also look for a small decanted spray bottle of AG Vetiver and do a direct comparison. its been ages since I tried Vetiver to be honest but I will always remember that wonderful natural edge to the stuff. Hard to forget really and maybe a good time to reacquaint myself with one of AG's finest offerings.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried this last week along with RMW and decided on the RMW for a full purchase. The OWW was good but had a strange aura to it. Maybe its just me but it felt as though the wood and the marine notes were playing in stereo in seperate channels as if they had become unglued from each other. A bit like spraying he wood on one hand and guy laroche horizon on the other. Thought the marine note smelled a little plasticy aswell. Not bad but decided on RMW for the above reasons and RMW seemed a bit more natural and better blended.

Post Thanks / Like

I just tried this one today at lunchtime, so it's been sitting on my hand for about an hour at this stage. It's quite close to the original RMW, but with more of the marine vibe, which mostly comes from the added salty aspect. I'm not a huge fan of salty fragrances, so for me I prefer the original, which is a really, really lovely, very underrated fragrance. All of the fragrances from this house are quite special though. Good on them!

Guys, I blind bought OWW right after my post to revive this thread about a month ago and as much as I REALLY like it, it fades and disappears VERY quickly. (on my skin anyway). I spray this in the morning on my shirt, chest, and neck and I have to tell you ... by noon there's not even a trace of it. It's really a fantastic marine scent and I was really excited when I first sprayed it.
    Broke my heart man! I was hoping for a long lasting Marine fragrance!!

Post Thanks / Like

I got mine in the mail this morning. I was already wearing Fat Electrician so I spayed it on my business card and carried it around all day. I can still smell it from the card pretty easily.

Initial impression is that although it doesn't smell like it, I can tell it shares some DNA with AdG.

Very fresh, clean, with the violet and marine notes well blended to my taste. Yes, synthetic, but not harshly so.

I'll give this a full wearing tomorrow and see what I think on my skin. For now, I'm really happy with it as I needed an aquatic and it is pleasant, inoffensive, and should do well in the Mississippi heat. For $34 pretty good value even if it only lasts half a day.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Charles Mingus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jzzbassman View Post
    Initial impression is that although it doesn't smell like it, I can tell it shares some DNA with AdG.

Very fresh, clean, with the violet and marine notes well blended to my taste. Yes, synthetic, but not harshly so.

I'll give this a full wearing tomorrow and see what I think on my skin. For now, I'm really happy with it as I needed an aquatic and it is pleasant, inoffensive, and should do well in the Mississippi heat. For $34 pretty good value even if it only lasts half a day.
    One of OWW's perfumer is Alberto Morillas, who's also the perfumer of Acqua di Gio, so I'm not surprised with that.

Please let us know how it works on your skin and how's the weather there in MS tomorrow.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

TOmorrow in North Mississippi low 60's F and stormy.

Not exactly ideal hot weather, but it will be "Wet Wood" weather!
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Charles Mingus

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, I blind bought OWW right after my post to revive this thread about a month ago and as much as I REALLY like it, it fades and disappears VERY quickly. (on my skin anyway). I spray this in the morning on my shirt, chest, and neck and I have to tell you ... by noon there's not even a trace of it. It's really a fantastic marine scent and I was really excited when I first sprayed it. There's a slight trace of the original and RMW but for the most part, it's totally different. I kinda compare it to what D&G did with "The One". The flanker (Gentleman) almost smells like a complete different scent and also, fades away much quicker.

Hmm, are you still finding it short lasting?

My first wearing was today. Sprayed it 2 and 1/2 x on the chest and a little tiny spray on the wrist for myself at 6am this morning. At 4:30pm I'm home and I can still smell it, although it is pretty close to the skin.

Got a compliment on it from an employee this morning too, so that's a good sign.

As for me, I think it is a nice aquatic, but I really don't get much "different" from that. The drydown is soapy, like a really nice laundry detergent. As a matter of fact, something in it now reminds me of the opening of Dunhill Desire Blue....a frag I like the topnotes of but don't care for the drydown.

It is quite nice and I'm really pleased at the wood and marine meld. It usually takes me awhile to get comfortable with fragrances, but this one is pretty straightforward and easy to like.

On the major plus side, even though it has its synthetic side, it is not irritating to me as many are. I cannot wear Issey or AdG because they both give me a headache but this does not.

So far, so good!
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Charles Mingus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alcan View Post
    If you don't like aquas I wouldn't recommend this one. Although it is different from some, it is definitely going to strike you as belonging to that genre.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Charles Mingus

Excellent opening but drydown gave me headache..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FSM View Post
    Excellent opening but drydown gave me headache..
    Is its dry down (too) sweet?

Is its dry down (too) sweet?
    As far as i remember No sweet but too much woody

Ok then I got my OWW yesterday. First impressions, I love this stuff. Honestly the best aqua I have ever worn. Yes, it was a blind buy but ignorance was trully bliss with this one. Definately on my fragrance top shelf from now on. Oh so subltle in its projection but stays close and not at all jarring like some heavier less refined aquas out there. The image of a fresh ocean breeze coupled with natural woods is well captured in OWW. Although separate in standing they coexist decicedly well. I love the salty sweetness on my lips after sniffing my wrist after the first of applying the stuff. It may not have the legs of many stronger colognes but it certainly has the wings. And just a teeny teeny bit of AG Vetiver somewhere deep in the drydown.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

bump, i want to hear more about this one

Post Thanks / Like

@mambac I've only tried it in the cold 50°F weather, and it didn't project and develop well on my skin. It's top to middle notes are really nice though -- I get that transparent freshly cut wood note and not too salty marine-aquatic notes. I think it's a strictly warm weather scent. So, I'll have to wait for the 70+°F spring-summer weather to see how it's meant to develop on my skin.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, thats how aquatic are, they just arent the same is cold weather, it would develope much differently in 80-90 degree weather

Post Thanks / Like

Wearing this one again today as the temp creeps up into the 70's. Pretty tenacious for an aquatic.....I have a cold and can still smell it under my t-shirt.

Nice scent....you would be hard pressed to find a better aquatic, especially for the money.

My wife loves this one.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Charles Mingus

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a huge fan of RMW.

However, OWW was a letdown for me. Salty cucumber, a bit of wood, that's it. I actually washed it off.

Now everyone go buy RMW!