Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which are your favourite Mona di Orio perfumes?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carnation

4 18.18%
  • Nuit Noire

12 54.55%
  • Amyitis

0 0%
  • Lux

2 9.09%
  • Chamarré

3 13.64%
  • Jabu

2 9.09%
  • Oiro

3 13.64%
  • I haven't yet had the pleasure of sampling most of this line.

8 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Weigh in on your MONA DI ORIO faves

To my mind, Mona di Orio's perfumes are intelligent and inspired. I adore pretty much all of their line (only Amyitis and Lux I am still coming to terms with). I think there is some very beautiful work here on the part of Mona di Orio, who studied under the perfume master Edmund Roudnitska.

Please choose your favourite(s) from the poll. I would love to read your comments on these as well.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 12th March 2010 at 10:09 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Weigh in on your MONA DI ORIO faves

My favorite for a long time was Nuit Noire. that being an arresting combination of orange guinee and newly tanned leather. It has a smokiness but none of the usual incense is used. I find it intriguing and I'm not aware of an overdose of civit. (As some have suggested).

The new favorite for me has been Chamarre. It is a bold treatment of sparkling lavender and I don't remember what else, many spices that give a layered effect unlike any lavender I've ever had. It is a "golden" juice, if that makes sense. You just have to try it. It may be too light for a man, but I found it charming.

Perfume Posse says it pretty well: In this perfume, the warm breath of lavender in combination with aldehydes paves the path to sensual treats such as powdered iris from Florence, seductive rose absolue from Turkey and delicate violet, ending in a gentle embrace of cashmeran, opoponax and ambre gris.
    Last edited by kumquat; 11th March 2010 at 10:41 PM.

Well, I've only tried Carnation and Jabu. Fell in love with Jabu, and may be buying a bottle, with the help of a wonderful Basenotes friend. Yippee!!!

Funnily enough, Lux and Jabu are the two I like best from this line, Dimi! Those two are the easiest to love, to my mind. The others (especially Carnation, but Chamarré and Nuit Noire are guilty too) have a distractingly plasticky edge to them, which I suspect is caused by a musk/civet component.
    Lux, though very nice, doesn't really stand out as something own-worthy. Jabu OTOH was an immediate want and I hosted a split of it so I could get my hands on a bottle (preeeetty) and a portion (this stuff is potent!). Anyone who appreciates a quality neroli (or likes Profumum Neroli or the discontinued L'Occitane Neroli EDP) ought to get a whiff of this one, as far as I'm concerned.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I have only tried the first three. Carnation was lust at first sniff but the more test-drives I gave to Nuit Noire, the more I liked it. Both two are on my wish list.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Funnily enough, Lux and Jabu are the two I like best from this line, Dimi!
    Actually your post made me re-check my samples, and I was mistaken... its Lux and Amyitis that I am finding challenging (particularly Amyitis), not Jabu. Jubu is a stunner! Amyitis has a rather complex plastic/burnt/electrical-wire sort of vibe that takes some getting used to.

Carnation is actually a very beautiful scent - perhaps not as "peppery" as real carnations, but it still captures that husky floral perfume that I have come to associate with the flower.
    Nuit Noire I am a huge fanboy of! The cardamom is front and center, but as the scent shifts into its heart and base, it transitions into something of immeasurable beauty!
    Chamarré has also this feeling of early 20th century opulence - not unlike the vintage offerings from houses like Guerlain and Dior.
    Lux is suprising to my nose, in that it is a vastly different style of perfume to the others in the line. Its playful lemon sorbet opening is vibrant and spirited, and it dries down to a remarkable vanilla/musk. I feel like Lux perhaps transitions the least from top to bottom.
    Jabu is a beauty whose orange/ylang opening accords are radiant... its dark plum accord adds a richness, and I love the creamy tonka in there too.
    Oiro has a stunning floral opening - the sweet pea and jasmin are divine. I really enjoy the journey this one takes into the rich base of immortelle, musc and amber.

This is a line that I have only just been experimenting with, and I am sorry that it is so difficult to find in New York. I love Nuit Noire. It is a true "grandma's purse" fragrance for me, but with the promise of something delightfully beastly. I have been enjoying Lux, and it will join Diorella as a go-to spring fragrance. It is so clear that I must try others. Where are you guys finding Mona di Orio?

Basenotes Plus

I have long loved this line and had the distinct pleasure of meeting Mona in person and talking with her about her fragrances at length. Carnation is not, carnation as in the flower. Carnation is a skin scent and is so named because artists used the carnation flower petals as color references for skin in their portraits. (That's what she told me!)

I wanted another of her fragrances, different from the multipersonality LUX I already owned and loved. Carnation was IT! Linear in it's development, Carnation stays close to the skin, a "snuggle" scent IMO.
    I'll never forget my conversation with her & her partner, Jeroen. We spoke for well over an hour, it was wonderful, just wonderful. This took place at Aedes, shortly after The Guide was published, btw.

LUX is the only fragrance I own that wears like six different fragrances. Each and every stage of development has it's own personality and I love and appreciate each and every one. So many people test this on paper, dismiss it immediately based on the top notes and never get to know the scent. It's a shame!

NN is such a sexy scent. A foreshadowing of it appears in one of the drydown phases of LUX, so of course I had to try it. As sample of this one is enough but I love it all the same.

The newer scent, I've not had the fortune to test.
    Last edited by RHM; 13th March 2010 at 01:05 AM.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Unfortunately, Mona di Orio's scents disappeared from the shelves of Aedes. I always loved smelling Nuit Noir and Lux when visiting the shop.

Sur la Plage

I am gaga over Nuit Noire!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I am only familiar with Lux and politely disagree with Dr.T. assessment of it. Would like to get better acquainted with the whole line.

I've only tried Nuit Noire, and was terribly disappointed ( bland, soapy concoction to my nose ).

Carnation and Oiro sound intriguing, but I'm a little wary after Nuit Noire.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I've only tried Nuit Noire, and was terribly disappointed ( bland, soapy concoction to my nose ).

Carnation and Oiro sound intriguing, but I'm a little wary after Nuit Noire.
    Galamb, is it possible you got the wrong juice in your sample? Soapy doesn't sound right. did you smell orange liqueur or leather at all?

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Galamb, is it possible you got the wrong juice in your sample? Soapy doesn't sound right. did you smell orange liqueur or leather at all?
    None, just soap - BUT it's worth noting I smelled something very similar in Cuir d'Oranger, and that also has a similar description. Certain leathers smell of nothing but soap to me. I'm really at a loss as to what aromachemical it is, but I suspect it might be a musk or maybe quinolines.

Mona di Orio is available at Les Senteurs. I believe Oiro is exclusive to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    To my mind, Mona di Orio's perfumes are intelligent and inspired. I adore pretty much all of their line (only Amyitis and Lux I am still coming to terms with). I think there is some very beautiful work here on the part of Mona di Orio, who studied under the perfume master Edmund Roudnitska.

Please choose your favourite(s) from the poll. I would love to read your comments on these as well.
    WoW! Dimitri I love your Display Pic Aswell!! Neato'!! Though, I am soo darn' keen to try this house!! Is it cheap? Also, Can it be obtained in Australia?

Cheers Dimitri...Always the informative one!

And Thanks To Everyone

- Balava -
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket